“very nice place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
oshkosh,wisconsin
“very nice place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

we went to the jewel for a wedding may31-june7.they did a very nice job with the wedding-the ceremony was well presented with cocktails after.then the party went to eat & all was well taken care of.all the food was good to very good-at the Japanese they put on a good show & food was good.the rides on the hobie cats was fun.yes you are always asked about drugs I guess that is up to you but is always there.as we called it walmart by the fence had everything for sale.really did not do much with the rec people as we were not in the main pool much.before the trip I had asked about ginger beer & on the second day it showed up in the room at no extra expense to us.that was a nice touch [it is not beer though].all in all was a very good time-the staff were great-nothing was a problem. THANKS JEWEL

Room Tip: diamond rooms are worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you and delighted that the wedding went well. I am also happy that your request was granted. It was our pleasure and hope to see you again soon.

2,993 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,182)
Hilton Head Island,SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Visited the Jewel Dunns River Resort from May 28 to June 4, 2013. Must say that everything met or exceeded our expectations. My only minor complaint was with their computers. Three computers were available but one was inoperative the whole time. Another computer had about half the letters worn off the keys and unusable for a "hunt and peck" old guy like me. The third computer seemed to always be in use with others waiting so I never did send out a message. However I consider that a minor inconvenience. Good food and drinks were available all the time and NAME brands poured if you so desired. However the main thing I remember is SERVICE, SERVICE,SERVICE. At no time did any employee even hint they would like a tip . They were all so smiling,happy and helpful. VERY EAGER TO SERVE YOU. tHAT IS THE TYPE OF THING THAT MAKES A VACATION SPECIAL.

Room Tip: Recommend Ocean view rooms on 5th 0r 6th floor. Loved the view from our Sapphire 6th floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and for bringing to our attention, where we fell short, with an amenity that we offer. I extend my sincere apologies. I am happy thou that despite that you still had a great time and the service received, was top notch, and that made the difference. It was our pleasure and hope to see you again soon.

oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I just got back from our week long stay, and it was the best vacation ever! So much better than Mexico! There were so many great things, so I will start from the beginning! First, the bus ride was long but very entertaining! Garfield the driver was so funny and we met others going to the resort that we ended up making great friendships with. When we checked in we were given a free upgrade to an oceanview room! The room was fantastic! We booked several tours through the resort, and were very pleased. The river tube float was one of my favorites! I have to give a huge thank you to the best lifeguard ever! Steven took us out on the Hobbie Cat and he was so wonderful! He was so willing to not only teach us about the boat, but was very informative on the things to do locally as well as around the whole island. I loved the sailing so much, we went again the next day! The entire staff at the resort was fantastic! The housekeeping ladies were fast and so nice! The front desk people were always cheerful and available. The restaurant staff were wonderful and the food was great! My favorite was the pizza, and Damion the chef at the Hibachi was not only entertaining, but his food was perfect! The entertainment staff did a great job getting us all involved in so many fun activities too! Finally, the bar tenders and trainees were the best I have ever had! Carl in the pool/piano bar was great! He remembered my drinks from my first day and the drinks were never watered down. Donte was just as wonderful. He worked at the beach bar and the bigger pool bar and once again would always recognize my husband and me and have drinks waiting as soon as we sat down! Garth, Dewain, and Garnet also remembered us and our favorite drinks and were always so cheerful! I would especially like to thank David the trainee at the bars who went out of his way to take great care of us! He really needs to have the trainee part taken off of his name tag and become a full time bartender at the resort. We were so pleased with this resort, that we have decided to go back next year and will be taking my sisters and their husbands with us!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Sapphire oceanview room, and it was great! The views all day were amazing. We were ne...
Dear Guest

Thank you for such a detail review and it was our pleasure to have hosted you, and happy that you thoroughly enjoyed all that we had to offer. Hope to see you again soon.

Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stephen took us out on the Hobie Cat and we had a fantastic time. By the time we got back in, the red flag was up, but he did a great job maneuvering the boat in such fierce winds.
Avalyn, in the spa, is a great masseuse. She really knows what she is doing. I had a facial, a hot stone massage and a sugar body scrub.
The food was fantastic. The pizza oven made yummy pizzas and the jerk chicken at the cafe was the best I have ever had. Jamaicans really know how to cook!
I thought the services were very quick, too. I called for ice and 3 minutes later I had some. Our room was a little warm for my liking so the 1st night I called and asked for a fan. What they did was come and turn the thermostat lower and it made the room a lot more comfortable.

Room Tip: bring water shoes and a tote bag if you go to Dunn River Falls.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and happy that you had a great time and enjoyed your vacation, especially the spa treatment. I am delighted that the staff and service was efficient and that made your stay. It was our pleasure and hope to see you again soon.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you were to book at this resort, you really won't be disappointed.
Based on reading reviews from "Tripadvisor" as well as personally speaking to folks who stayed on property, we finally decided to give this property a chance.
Great staff...from the front desk, bellmen, bartenders, wait-staff, and lifeguards---"Yes I"

The resort is just what we wanted, not crowded at all and no children!
We swam in the pools and at the beach, we sailed on the Hobie Cat and used the Kayak without excessive waits to use the equipment.

Drank top-shelf drinks all day long...and enjoyed some of the daily specialty drinks offered.

Out of 5 stars, I'd give the food an overall rating of 3.

We mostly ate our meals at the Café...

We tried the Platinum one evening for dinner...the jerk hen, lamb and steak were good.

In the Cafe, the curry goat, oxtail needed to be cooked a bit longer and needed more flavor.... More chefs needed in the buffet area to provide a better product, rather than mass produced food!

The Japanese restaurant was very good. The pizzas prepared at the OVEN were actually good and so was the Italian restaurant. The GRILLE needs to rotate items...same ole' stuff everyday gets rather OLD and unappealing!

The rooms: Just minor stuff like curtains should be considered to be replaced...peep-holes on all room doors!
Beverage service missed a few days...and sometimes we didn't get wash towels.

Sometimes our rooms weren't refreshed 'til late afternoon...and maintenance issues weren't addressed in timely manner.

Aside from those flaws mentioned, we plan to go back! We really had a great time!

We visited the Blue Hole---it is a must! When you go, ask for Antonio and Omar...these young guys will take really good care of you! We had a blast with them!
We had our own driver...Got to give Brian Brown KUDOS!!! He took us all around I highly recommend him---876-369-2082. He took us to Negril and into the mountains too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank for taking the time to share your experience and it was our pleasure. Your points mention will be considered and investigation to why procedures and amentites were not followed to ensure a great experience.

Thanks again.

Norwalk, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

The best asset this place has its the people. Wonderful service. The food is delicious, the drinks are freshly made and overall very good. The rooms and grounds could be updated but with so much entertainment you won't even notice. The bed was comfy. Excellent place for couples or adults. Recommend the blue hole for touring.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Gabrelia

Thank you and it was our pleasure to have hosted you, and hope to see you again soon.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We just got back from The Jewel for our honeymoon, and both had a great time. Jamaica itself is somewhat of a poor country, and therefore, you must use caution. We were advised to not wear any jewelry outside of the resort, but I think the worst areas are in Kingston and Montego Bay. We did remove our jewelry when we went to the Dunn's River Falls just in case.

The bus trip over was an experience, mainly because of how the natives drive there. But our driver was safe and courteous and had us laughing.

The resort itself is very well maintained and clean. Our rooms were constantly cleaned and water was supplied daily (four bottles I think). There are always friendly employees in the background making small repairs or cleaning.

The food was very good from the viewpoint of a vegan. I don't eat meat or dairy products, and I had no problem at any of the restaurants getting good food. The buffet was great for breakfast and lunch. The pizza place makes great cheese-free pizzas on request, which were delicious. The italian place was my least favorite, but was still good. The Japanese place was very good and offered tofu in place of the three or four meats that are also served. Make sure you make a reservation in advance, as they can only seat 10 people per room. The hibachi chef was hilarious, Mon! Not every place is always open, so plan accordingly.

The drinks are a little on the weak side, and this is coming from someone who rarely drinks and has a low tolerance. Ask them to top it off with rum and give them a dollar tip, and you won't have to drink as many Dirty Bananas to get a buzz!

As for the rooms, we had a third floor mountain view room the first night. Our view was of the rooftop of the bus roundabout in the front, and we asked to change rooms to a higher floor. They allowed us to tour two other rooms and we selected room 2611 the rest of the stay. Although right by the elevator, you could barely hear it through the thick concrete walls. The higher floor was definitely worth it if views are your thing. Try to get a room in the upper teens, like 15-21, as they will not have the view of the rooftop I mentioned.

All that being said, next time I stay here, I will get the most basic room and stay extra days. We were hardly ever in our rooms, and only ate out on the semi-private patio once (no breeze on that side, too hot to enjoy it).

There were two pools, one for the younger crowd who wants to be entertained by the staff, and another smaller pool that is much quieter.

All in all, the staff made this a very special trip. Although tips were included, we tipped often and got better service. One dollar from you is like several to them, and they appreciate the gesture. Everyone we encountered had a great time. The spa was a wonderful experience. I had my first massage and it was great! We did barter with them on the price, getting a 30 minute couple's massage for $100, one of which was a deep tissue for my wife. We tipped each girl $10.

The only recommendation I have for the hotel is to try to convert the ugly rooftop views into a lush garden view. Simply putting some vegetation on the rooftops to cover up the otherwise unsightly roof would cut down on complaints tremendously.

Do NOT hesitate to stay here. It was wonderful adults-only experience!

Oh, and if you do the Dunns River Falls, split the cost of the low-tech video with two or more people. You can copy the dvd right to a thumb drive or SD card in the lobby afterwards. Many also recommended going to the "Blue Hole", a secluded water hole that the locals don't want you to know about. I heard it was very nice!

Room Tip: Get the cheapest room and stay a few more days, or treat yourself to the spa a few times or do more...
Dear Adam S

Thank you for your review, and despite as you stated we are a poor country, we are pround Jamaicans, and do appreciate our visitors. Just like any where in the world that anyone travels, you will have good and bad. There are places in the States that you would not want to wear your jewellery also, so it's not only in Jamaica. I am happy despite what you might have thought about our island, you had a great time. Thanks again.

Guest Services Manager

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!