“FABULOUS Honeymoon!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“FABULOUS Honeymoon!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My Husband and I just returned a little over a week ago from our Amazing Honeymoon at the Jewel and let me tell you, It couldn't have been any better! The Staff is AMAZING!! They are SOO Friendly and just overall very nice people and will go OUT OF THEIR WAY to please you! We originally Booked our stay for the Diamond Building, Concierge Suite. I was Very disappointed in the room (We were there for our HONEYMOON, It would of been a great room for just a vacation and sorts). We upgraded for a great price to the Diamond Butler Suite. This Suite....Was AMAZING!! FREE Room Service, Mini Bar that is re stocked daily! A Full Living room and little table, AMAZING COMFY BED, 2 yes 2 Walk out Patio Thingys...with an AMAZING Breathtaking View. Bathroom was also amazing with a Jacuzzi Tub! We were in by 8-9 at night haha, SO If your planning on calling it an early night, be prepared for it to be kind of loud even from the room. Everyone visiting the resort was also VERY nice! The whole resort is amazing, with 2 swim up Bars how could you go wrong?

Just a FEW Things they could improve on...WiFi throughout the whole hotel, we weren't even able to pay extra for it which kind of sucked since we have kids and we had to go to the noisy lobby to try to facetime them. More variety of foods. I'm not a seafood or fish kind of girl so honestly it was VERY hard for me down there, BUT i expected that!!! Also, they really didn't have a lot of different activities to do. I mean you could go Wind Surfing and kayaking but that was really it. The other resorts around us had paddle boats and such. And we didn't even have the OPTION to PAY for any Motorized Water Sports.

Other than that...Everything was absolutely AMAZING!!

Room Tip: The basic room was very plain to us....We ended up getting the Butler Suite! WELL WORTH IT! TRUST ME...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Sheree

Thank you for your review and happy that you had a fabulous honeymoon, and thanks for bringing to our attention, areas that we can improve on. This will be used in a positive manner to enhnace our product. Hope to see you again soon.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,311)
Galesburg, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was our first all inclusive so we have nothing to compare it to so that is why we gave it an overall Very Good... However we were very happy with our vacation and we don't feel we could ask for a more pleasant and relaxing place to spend our 20th anniversary. It is very laid back but exactly what we wanted but also had entertainment all day and night for their guests. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The resort is not too large but it was the perfect size for us. We had read a review that the beach was small but with no kids there it was perfect... Just enough bars and restaurants to keep us happy for the 5 night stay we were there. Absolutely no complaints but the next time we fly anywhere we will pay the extra to stay on one plane... Changing flights was the biggest hassle of the entire trip along with the flight delays... We will definitely go back!!!

Room Tip: We didn't pick the best room available but it was still very nice and no room was too far from a...
Dear Louella

Thank you for your review and happy that your first all inclusive was a well spent one. It was our pleasure and see you again.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Just got back from 4 nights stay at this resort for my daughter's 21 st birthday celebration. Overall the experience was great. The room in the Diamond Tower was phenominal (be certain to request something
on either 4th or 5th floor...breathtaking view). The mini bar was restocked 2 of the 3 days with more
liquor, wine, sodas, water, juice and beer than a human could possibly drink. The room was immaculate, especially loved the 'frigid' air conditioning considering the incredibly high humidity (worse than the gulf coast area of Texas where I live). The staff was AWESOME from maid service to the most friendly waitstaff, bartenders (they are exceptional) I have ever encountered. These people work their butts off and smile all the time and everything is ' no problem mon'! I also noticed how very few people tipped these hardworking staff members (I realize it's all inclusive but give me a break...I bet these people make less than a nice dinner here in the states cost). Now to the negative...checking in was ridiculous, after a 2 hr bus ride from the airport it took over 40+ mins to get our room, the food was less than good...don't bother with Jade Samari if you're used to good Japanese (it was gross). The buffet and pizza oven(excellent), grill by the pool were good. The restaurants were BAD and the service was worse (we walked out). Go for a ride on their Hobie Cat (catamaran) and ask for Steven ( he was our favorite of all the staff). Despite a few bumps the 'vaca' was very enjoyable. Jamaica is a beautiful place and the people are so incredibly hospitable (even though there is much poverty). Oh, one more thing, the resident cats are so sweet they don't beg they just appreciate if you throw them some of your leftovers...trust me we did! We will be back, my daughter is already planning a trip next year with her girlfriends...as for safety (my initial concern) it's fine if you don't walk around town and DO NOT go to the local 'craft market' they are horrible! We did the Mystic Mountain pkg. it was fun even for a 57 yr old...zip lining, bobsleding and skylifting and I'm still alive! Yah Mon!

Room Tip: Had a room facing pool and ocean...4th floor FABULOUS view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Susan

Thank you for your review, and despite the few "bumps", mention am happy that you had a great time and your daughter is planing a return trip. I fully understand your concern for our country, but assure you that our staff are paid well, more than what a nice dinner will cost in the states and we as a country is not in much poverty, despite what you think. Thanks again.

New Haven, Ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

If you are going to Jamaica like to have fun, enjoy great service, not be crowded, enjoy spacious beautiful rooms (Diamond) then JEWEL DUNN is the place. Great pool, foods people etc - I could go on but no need to -everything was great and I've traveled the world. What we liked the most it is not crowded like a mega resort but services and amenities are equal. Never a problems getting into a restaurant, seat at pool or bars. No negatives just a couple of comments - except for Beach Party nights the nightlife is limited. Also watch cost of tours and cabs - I paid $ 30 for a cab from resort and $ 10 for a return from a private cab. Joe C

Room Tip: Diamond with a water view is a must - pay the few extra bucks and it will make the trip even better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and happy that you found our resort to your liking, pleasure hosting you.

Ashland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here at the end of April, 2013 for our honeymoon and we loved, loved, loved it! The staff was terrific...so very friendly and overall just very lovely people. We stayed in The Diamond Building/Concierge Room and loved the perks...free room service, mini bar that was re-stocked daily and we even got a surprise treat sent over wishing us a happy honeymoon! Wish we'd had a room with more of an ocean view and weren't on the RIU side as it tended to be noisy some nights, but we were still thrilled with our room...Bed was so comfy, too!
We were perfectly content being beach/pool bums all week, so we didn't participate in many of the activities, but loved watching the entertainment by the main pool (yet also loved the quiet pool too), volleyball games on the beach, sat by the bonfire one night and had some yummy drinks & enjoyed the band, had dinner at the Jade which was great fun (we mostly ate at the buffet/pizza spot/grill options) and enjoyed a great excursion tubing at White River!
My husband and I are animal lovers, so we also really loved the resort kitties..Tom-Tom was our favorite!
We were very sad to leave, but will definitely be back! Thank you for making our honeymoon so memorable & romantic! Yeh Mon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Denise

Thnak you and it wasour pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that you had a fanastic time. Hope to see you again soon.

Sioux Falls,South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This review is a little over do, but the first chance I had to write a review since my return from the Jewel. Just to give you a little background this was my wife and my 30th trip to Jamaica. We are both 41 and fell in LOVE with Jamaica a little over 10 years ago. Many of you that have been to Jamaica before know the Jamaican people are some of the most caring loving people that you will have ever have the privilege of sharing your vacation with. With that being said we started staying at the Jewel right when they opened. The Jewel had previously been a Sandals property and they had a great deal so we decide to give them a try since we had always been Sandals people. After one visit we were sold on the Jewel and have never looked back, their passion for making the guest feel at home and truly making you part of the Jewel family is what we love. April 13 2013 was our 6th trip to the Jewel to celebrate our 20 year anniversary. We have became friends with many of the staff at the Jewel and they really made our 20 year anniversary special. As always our room was spotless, food was great and the bartenders poured some awesome cocktails. If you are looking for a special getaway look no further and believe me that the Jewel staff will make sure your vacation is second to none. Thank you again Carol, Daine and ALL the staff at the Jewel for making our 20 year something we will never forget. See you all again soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Ted & Nikki

Thank you and of course it is alwasy our please to welcome you home. See you soon.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

After 56 years away from Montego Bay this returning Jamaican wondered what she would find in the all-inclusives on the North Coast...after many years of visiting relatives in Kingston, the North Coast and its hotels were not on my radar....until recently when the last of my relatives passed leaving me open to explore Jamaica. Kingston for many reasons has not been very welcoming but this recent trip started off with the customs official at the MoBay airport welcoming me HOME.
Our entire experience at Jewel was amazing...the food was lovely and I got to re-experience my Jamaican cuisine..the hotel itself was beautiful and the seas were azure blue...what more could one ask?...well...the people...that's what made my return trip so momentous. Jewel's staff was remarkable...this is the Jamaica I was born into and remember so fondly. From the effervescent greeter at Coral Cafe, Peggy, to the beautiful Sanya who served me everywhere I went to Anthony (who single handedly served dinner to at least ten tables in Platinum)and Basil who brought me drinks at the pool without my asking, and a host of others whose names I regret I cannot now remember, we were treated with caring, respect and well, ONE LOVE! I felt simply that I had returned home.
There are only a couple of small glitches I can think of and one was that our purchase through Snique Away didn't allow us to have alcoholic beverages in our mini bar...which is a bit ridiculous as we paid $299 per night...surely a few beers in the mini bar would not have hurt considering one could drink themselves silly at all the bars downstairs. We are not big drinkers at all, however my husband felt it was the principal...another was the "type" of room we purchased gave us a room in the Sapphire building which overlooked, well...a roof.. but we did get to see some greenery...not a big deal for us as we only slept in the room, but we didn't feel like paying more to view the ocean from our room. And the biggest negative with our stay...I don't know who designed the bathrooms in our room but whilst seated on the throne having TWO of the largest toilet paper rolls jutting into one's side was more than an annoyance. If I owned this hotel, I would rip all of these out and place them on the wall in front. One had to be a contorionist to use the facilities. Overall, this does not make or break a holiday and it most certainly didn't in our case!
So kudos to Jewel and its staff for making this Jamaican's return to MoBay so cathartic. You are all ambassadors for our island and I congratulate you. I shall return!
ONE LOVE
Annette O'Meally Brennan
Vancouver Canada

Dear Annette

Thank you and happy that your return home was a memorable one despite the few inconveiences with the room. And as you stated that will not hinder you from coming back, because we have the best staff their is, and happy that you took the time to recognized them. It was truly our pleasure and see you soon.

Guest Services Manager

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!