My wife Jody and I were married June 12,2010. We had planned on taking our Honeymoon in the beautiful Country of Jamaica. Unfortunately, my Wife's mother passed away 2 weeks after our wedding. To add insult to injury, the morning that she passed, Jody's father told us that he had Cancer. After a lengthy Battle with such a cruel disease, he passed away in March of 2012.
My Wife is a very strong woman, but nobody can be prepared for the loss of both parents in such a short amount of time. Friends of ours invited us to come with them to Cuba in May 2012. A trip away from all of the stress of the last 2 years. It was just what we needed. A week with our friends, in the sun. It may have been what we needed, but still not what we Wanted!
Jody has wanted to go to Jamaica ever since she was a child. As her husband, it is up to me to make sure her dreams come true. We sat down and looked at Resorts throughout Jamaica. The only concern with booking a Resort was that we didn't want to sit on a bus for an hour and a half going to and from the airport. We decided to look at Resorts in Montego Bay... Until we came across The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa. After some research, and reading reviews, we booked for May 11 to 18.
As I have already stated, we were not eager to be on a bus for any length of time, but the bus ride from the Airport in Montego Bay to Ocho Rios went by so quick, we didn't mind it at all. Upon arrival at the Resort, we were greeted by your friendly Staff. The only thing warmer than the sun that day was their smiles.
Check-in was prompt, and although our rooms wouldn't be ready until the normal Check-in time of 3:00pm, we had no problem leaving our luggage with the Lobby Staff while we explored our new home for the next 8 days. While waiting for our room to be ready, we enjoyed a feast of Jerk Chicken...a meal that I then went on to have every night before bed (it was that good!)
3:00pm we went to the Front Desk to see if our room was ready, and as expected...it was. Upon arrival to our room we were delighted to see not only a beautiful room, but a view to match. We knew then and there that this was going to be a week to remember.
Without boring people with every detail of our vacation, I will get to the review of the Resort.
The staff at the Jewel were EXCELLENT. We never went to any of the a la carte restaurants, so to be fair I can't tell you how they were. I know that all of the people that we met and talked to said that they were good.We ate in the Buffet for almost all of our meals, 2 meals at Court Jester Pizza (Delicious, Tracey makes an amazing Pizza), Dinner on the Beach, and numerous trips to the Grill for Nachos, Jerk Chicken, Burgers, and even Popcorn. We always had prompt service at the bars, striking up great conversations with many of them. Uton and Garnett took their job that extra step from Barman to Friend. The staff at The Jewel left nobody wanting anything. They really understand the Hospitality Industry here.
Jody and I met one staff member that made our stay at The Jewel the most memorable vacation we have ever had. His name is "KEVIN"! From the moment we met him he said "You're my Family", after 8 days we are proud to say that he is "Our Family"! Kevin made my Wife smile. The 3 of us talked like we had been friends since childhood, and we know that we have made a friend for life. I see great things in Kevin's future. Hard working, amazing personality, and even when he seemed to be worked off of his feet, Kevin made time to take pictures of us and with us....not by our request, but his. We both miss him dearly.
Jody and I had High expectations for The Jewel, and they weren't only met, but exceeded. We recommend The Jewel to anybody looking for an amazing Vacation Destination. Our only complaint about the whole vacation was that we booked for 1 week, and not 2. I would book another trip there without hesitation. Although Summer is almost upon us in Canada, I find myself longing for next Winter so that we can book another Vacation at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa.
Thank You for making our experience exceptional!
See you soon,
Ryan & Jody Huestis
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Introducing The Jewel Dunn’s River, a new Jamaican beach resort located mere moments from one of Jamaica’s top attractions – spectacular Dunn’s River Falls. The Caribbean’s most romantic, adults-only Jamaican resort is the perfect spot for couples, honeymooners and idyllic weddings. Plus, our all-inclusive resort features the unique ‘Jewel Only’ exclusives you can only discover here. Imagine watching a movie from the comfort of a pool raft and dining by candlelight on a pristine beach – that’s just the beginning. Now visualize your first breath in the morning being filled with fresh ocean air from your room’s private balcony. Picture yourself sipping handmade rum punch served by a pool concierge. Anything is possible at The Jewel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Amex, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Otel, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Hotel Ocho Rios
- The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Resort And Spa
- The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa Jamaica/Ocho Rios