“Our new Home away from Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
“Our new Home away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My wife Jody and I were married June 12,2010. We had planned on taking our Honeymoon in the beautiful Country of Jamaica. Unfortunately, my Wife's mother passed away 2 weeks after our wedding. To add insult to injury, the morning that she passed, Jody's father told us that he had Cancer. After a lengthy Battle with such a cruel disease, he passed away in March of 2012.
My Wife is a very strong woman, but nobody can be prepared for the loss of both parents in such a short amount of time. Friends of ours invited us to come with them to Cuba in May 2012. A trip away from all of the stress of the last 2 years. It was just what we needed. A week with our friends, in the sun. It may have been what we needed, but still not what we Wanted!
Jody has wanted to go to Jamaica ever since she was a child. As her husband, it is up to me to make sure her dreams come true. We sat down and looked at Resorts throughout Jamaica. The only concern with booking a Resort was that we didn't want to sit on a bus for an hour and a half going to and from the airport. We decided to look at Resorts in Montego Bay... Until we came across The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa. After some research, and reading reviews, we booked for May 11 to 18.
As I have already stated, we were not eager to be on a bus for any length of time, but the bus ride from the Airport in Montego Bay to Ocho Rios went by so quick, we didn't mind it at all. Upon arrival at the Resort, we were greeted by your friendly Staff. The only thing warmer than the sun that day was their smiles.
Check-in was prompt, and although our rooms wouldn't be ready until the normal Check-in time of 3:00pm, we had no problem leaving our luggage with the Lobby Staff while we explored our new home for the next 8 days. While waiting for our room to be ready, we enjoyed a feast of Jerk Chicken...a meal that I then went on to have every night before bed (it was that good!)
3:00pm we went to the Front Desk to see if our room was ready, and as expected...it was. Upon arrival to our room we were delighted to see not only a beautiful room, but a view to match. We knew then and there that this was going to be a week to remember.
Without boring people with every detail of our vacation, I will get to the review of the Resort.
The staff at the Jewel were EXCELLENT. We never went to any of the a la carte restaurants, so to be fair I can't tell you how they were. I know that all of the people that we met and talked to said that they were good.We ate in the Buffet for almost all of our meals, 2 meals at Court Jester Pizza (Delicious, Tracey makes an amazing Pizza), Dinner on the Beach, and numerous trips to the Grill for Nachos, Jerk Chicken, Burgers, and even Popcorn. We always had prompt service at the bars, striking up great conversations with many of them. Uton and Garnett took their job that extra step from Barman to Friend. The staff at The Jewel left nobody wanting anything. They really understand the Hospitality Industry here.
Jody and I met one staff member that made our stay at The Jewel the most memorable vacation we have ever had. His name is "KEVIN"! From the moment we met him he said "You're my Family", after 8 days we are proud to say that he is "Our Family"! Kevin made my Wife smile. The 3 of us talked like we had been friends since childhood, and we know that we have made a friend for life. I see great things in Kevin's future. Hard working, amazing personality, and even when he seemed to be worked off of his feet, Kevin made time to take pictures of us and with us....not by our request, but his. We both miss him dearly.
Jody and I had High expectations for The Jewel, and they weren't only met, but exceeded. We recommend The Jewel to anybody looking for an amazing Vacation Destination. Our only complaint about the whole vacation was that we booked for 1 week, and not 2. I would book another trip there without hesitation. Although Summer is almost upon us in Canada, I find myself longing for next Winter so that we can book another Vacation at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa.

Thank You for making our experience exceptional!
See you soon,
Ryan & Jody Huestis

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hi Ryan & Jody

It was our pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that you had a fantastic time, despite the sad period in your both life. I am happy that our staff, especially Kevin, left a lasting memory and again delighted that you have know found a new family here in Jamaica, but mainly at the Jewel Dunns River. Looking forward to hosting you again soon.

3,041 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We had a butler, but we found we really didn't need him. Tips were expected for mostly everything. This didn't bother us as most people work 7 days a week at the resort. Our room was clean. The staff was always pleasant and helpful. I would recommend this hotel. Only let down is the beach is really small. Not good for a long walk on the beach. Food was pretty good. I loved dinner on the pier. The pizza place was excellent as well.

• Stayed May 2012
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thanks for your review, and must extend my apologies, if you felt that each time the Butlers extended their services, you are expected to tip. This is not the case, and again, my apologies if you felt that way. I am delighted that you had a great time, despite your feelings.

upnorth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and chose (based on reviews) to spend it at the Jewel. Had a most excellent time! On the shuttle and off we went. Driver had all sorts of interesting information. Knew the trip was going to be about an hour and a half but you are in another country. Look around!! Only glitch at the beginning of trip consisted of our room not being ready (4:30) and then trying to put us in a emerald sapphire which was double beds on ground floor (again read anniversary) but we just went to have pizza and drinks and all was fixed (no problem mon). Loved our mountain view Sapphire! Very clean always! Thanks (Mary) for the great towel animals! Resort was just the right size to meet lots of people which was a blast! I am not really into the whole animation team thing (lots of people are though) and so it was perfect to have another area to cater to those people. Ate at all places. Food was good in some places and just okay in others. You would never go hungry, if you did not like it eat somewhere else. Service, as others mentioned was fabulous...a big thanks to Camarra, Maurice, and Peggy!!! You all are above and beyond. All employees seemed very hard working and intent on making sure everyone was having a good time. Drinks were plentiful and STRONG! I noticed some people complained about having to get your own drinks. Sometimes you did, sometimes someone came around. Please! If that is your only concern I would consider myself a lucky person. Went with Rusty to the Blue Hole. MUST SEE! Also took us (by request) the long way around to see different parts of the smaller towns along the way. Glistening waters is really cool too but kind of expensive and a long trip. Not many places in the world to see that though. Plenty going on around the resort if you are into that sort of stuff. Lots of games and activities. Great tour of plants and grounds area!! Very informative. Night life was so so but after sun and drinks all day we were not staying up super late anyway. Loved the outdoor music. One suggestion I would make would be to let the band play and not be interupted with 'team members' every few songs. Different craft vedors every day at the resort. Some are from craft community outside the gate on the beach and some only come to the resort sporadically so if you see something you like it might not be available again. Only complaint about the resort would be the small size of the beach...which I knew going into it. I do like to take long walks and run in the morning. I ended up doing my morning runs along the driveway which is beautifully landscaped and that worked out well. You could also run on sidewalk outside the resort but next to traffic and sort of exhaust smelling. I was not allowed past the pier (Rui side) but you could go out the chain link gate look at crafts and walk the public beach. People seemed very respectful and let things go with a simple 'no thanks' but you also need to use your head about it. I would not wonder aimlessly at night by myself but I would not do that at home in an area I am unfamilar with either. Hobie cats and kayaks are free to use and available to all. Thanks Snoop for taking us out on a super fun ride! I did need to go down and 'reserve' a place with an umbrella early (as everyone did) but there were plenty of sunny spots! Finding a pool float was never a problem. Loved that for a cool off. Pretty much need to stay in roped off swim area or the wave runners could take you out pretty easy. Not much of an opportunity or area to snorkle on your own as reef was off a bit and had to go through the wave runner 'zone'. Snorkles and masks were not provided except if you went on the boat out to reef for a fee. All in all it was a fabulous trip. Perfect trip for relaxing and would totally recommend to those looking for a vacation to remember!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Guest Service Manager
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort in April 2012 as a second honeymoon tropical getaway and was our first all-inclusive resort experience. There was a shuttle at the airport that took us and other visitors to our respective hotels, which was a huge plus. On arrival to the hotel, we were immediately given a delicious cold drink and cold towel as we checked in. Sad part about check in is that our room wasn't ready for us - I can't recall if we arrived early or the room was late in being prepared - but we were able to leave our bags at the front which were watched by staff, so that we could wander the hotel and beachfront. We really appreciated that this was a relatively small hotel and adults only - no crazy crowds and no screaming kids. The beach was just big enough for the guests, and with a little early-rising, easy to get a lounge chair on the beach. The food was overall good - not fantastic, but good, especially the cajun pork wraps at the beach snack barm which were great for long afternoons on the beach and several drinks. Probably the best meal was at the Platinum, the finer dining on the resort. The bars located throughout the resort are good, with daily drinks highlighted. . I could have done without the spa ladies walking about soliciting for spa services, but I understand this to be a relatively common resort occurrence. On the beach, there are security staff in place that police the area for any locals that try to cross onto the beach to solicit their own goods. There are some vendors on the resort that have a contract with the resort, but they are stationary and don't approach you to sell things. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. There seemed to be a fair amount of "activities" coordinated on the resort, but we didn't participate. While we did not formally book our trip as a honeymoon, at the check-in registration form I noted that it was a honeymoon and on the last night we stayed a staff member came to our room with two complimentary small chocolate heart shaped cakes with "happy honeymoon" written on them, which was a nice touch and gesture. Our primary purpose was to get out of town, be somewhere tropical and on the beach, and not have to worry about anything, which is exactly what happened and we left very tan and relaxed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to share. It is appreciated and hope to see you again soon.

Alexandria, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Didn't have any issues.. everything about this place was nice.. great service..would definitely go again.. liked the fact that "Jade" Japanese restaurant was the only place that needed reservation. I wished it was a little closer to the airport..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and hope to see you again soon.

Stoneham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Loved the whole experience! Staff more than good--very warm and personable. Food great, drinks weak but plentiful, room immaculate with beautiful view of sea. Favorite of all was romantic setting by the ocean on the terrace of the Italian restaurant! Highly reccomnd the resort!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review and delighted that your stay was a memorable and enjoyable one, it was our pleasure and hope to see you again soon.

Guest Service Manager
Skokie, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

first, there is no beach. (not what people expect from jamaica). only fried food. pool area but not much else. I sell travel for a living, I was there at spring break. granted it was busy but go with the riu next door. one thing, stafff is helpful. also, the sanitary conditions aren't that great.(using cloves while cooking )

Room Tip: there are the old rooms and new rooms. ask for the taller buildings.