“Memorable Time!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
10% EXTRA SAVINGS
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
GreenLeadersBronze level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Memorable Time!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Loved the Jewel for the mere fact that it was smaller and you weren't just a number. Our ocean view room was very nice, no complaints. My husband arranged for a romantic, private dinner on the beach for our anniversary...I highly recommend it...was an evening we will never forget! When we came back to our room there were rose petals all over, candles and soft music...major kudos to the Jewel for making our evening so special:)
Drinks and food were very good and were comparable to other resorts we have stayed at. Staff were very friendly for the most part....however I too suggest thayt they should have some kind of small entertainment in the evening outside, we found it to be too darn quiet and many times just went to bed!
Would I go back, probably but The Jewel will always have a special place in my heart!

Room Tip: You HAVE to go ocean view!!! Not noisy at all!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Dianne

Thank your for review and delighted that memories were created, and that we will have a special place in your heart. It was our absolute pleasure and hope to host you again.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,510)
Florham Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We booked with hotel directly 6 month in advance for two diamond concierge rooms for trip with our two adult sons. Night before arrival, we get call from hotel trying to move us from adult only Dunn River Falls location to family based Runaway Bay facility. We declined but they were noncommittal and said they would call back in an hour. Never did, so until we checked in next day we weren't sure if we had rooms. We did.

Restaurants are okay. Pizza at Court Jesters and jerk chicken at Aquamarine were great. Otherwise, pretty average.

Service horrible at Platinum for breakfast but okay for dinner.

Special shout out for Kevin at Court Jesters and Aquamarine. He was joyful.

Tree bar, Platinum and room hallway smelled musty.

Bring insect repellent if you plan to hang out at Piano Bar late at night. Son got pretty bit up and was miserable second half of the week.

Weather was overcast, windy and chilly most of week which of course they can't control. But pool was unheated, so it freezing...colder than the ocean, which wasn't that warm.

Full range of activities all week so if you like to be busy all week and listening to loud speakers, this is the place. I was looking for a quieter vacation so it was annoying for me.

All in all, it was okay but wouldn't come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Colleen

We thank you for your review,and must apologies for the manner in which the team handle your possible relocation in which they did not return yor call. I also, want to extend our apologies if you did not get the quiet relaxation you were opted for, but we do have a quiet pool by the piano bar area. The main pool is where all our activitites take place. I am happy that you took the time to share your experience, so we will be able to address and improve our product.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great spot, well maintained, beach is small, but the food, entertainment , staff etc... were excellent. Dont forget to take the "exclusive" James Bond Beach tour when you get one of the beach crew to sail you out in the catamaran Just make sure to tip, it is fun and you dont have to do the sailing

Room Tip: Diamond rooms are nice but all you are getting is an upgraded bar and concierge service you never us...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that your first time to Jamaica was a great one and especially here at the Jewel. Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

By far the best resort I've been to:
(bus ride to and from resort was very quick with Jamaica Tours)
- excellent service- greet you with cold towel and drinks
- very friendly staff that were genuinely funny
- small resort (250 rooms) for a personal experience (easy to find loungers)
- beautiful pools open 24/7 that alternate colour (and DO get cleaned throughout the day)
---you can swim under the waterfall, relax on the water floats, or play volleyball
- 2 huge jacuzzis also open 24/7
- coffee/tea stand by tree bar and lobby is nice throughout the day
- all bars have excellent staff and tasty drinks
--- Ask for a drink menu if you want to try something now as they do not have any posted (beach bar had one for sure)
- Reggae band was entertaining.
- Not much nightlife, but the staff do their best to include guests in events and activites
- guests that are happy and mind their own business
- DELICIOUS food- especially the tiramisu at Italian a la cart (although rather small portion) and the pizza parlor- sooo goooodddd
- comfortable beds- we slept like babies every night
- clean rooms that are well decorated and clean
- housekeeping services twice a day
- bathroom was nicely tiled, had jacuzzi-tub, large mirror, and was a moderate size
- shampoo/cond ect provided was good quality (bath&body works)
- nice balcony even though it didn't have a 'nice view' (Diamond building facing Riu)
- well maintained grounds
- TURTLE POND by entrance of resort with plecos and oscars!
- ping pong table out during the day!!
- pool table at quiet pool

Although:
- drinks at night were almost too strong..
- small beach (nice not being hassled by peddlers though so no complaints)
- overcast weather most of trip but not resorts fault
- WE did not book a long enough trip (Leaving after only 5 nights was such a tease)

Therefore, if your going to Jamaica strictly for the beach or a crazy night-life experience, this may not be the resort, but c'mon mon, it's Jamaica and everything at the Jewel is absolutely phenomenal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for such a great review and it was our absolute pleasure to have hosted you. We appeciate you taking the time to give us such details of your trip, which will be shared with the team. Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Had a GORGEOUS garden view room. Bed was super comfortable! Loved the movie at night on the blow up screen (yes, popcorn was provided) and the piano player at the bar was VERY talented. The staff was always very helpful and accommodating. The bartenders kept the drinks coming!!!!! The reservations for tours and things to do was easy (Dunn's River Falls is a MUST). Breakfast buffet was great. LOVED the wood grilled pizza!!! Dinner on the pier was BEAUTIFUL!!! Never any problem getting into any of the restaurants like other resorts I've been to. I had a lesson with one of the tennis pros (they provided the racket too)...nice courts although they are FULL SUN so reserve to play early in the morning or very late in the afternoon. I was hesitant about the bus ride from the airport to the hotel being too long but it was so nice to sit back and relax. Nothing bad to say. Will DEFINITELY be back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and delighted that you had a great time and the staff was a contributing factor. It was our pleasure to have hosted you and see you on your next trip.

Thanks again

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Jewel Dunn's River at the beginning of January and had a lovely week. Check in was easy and a nice cold drink and towel were brought over to us which was a nice touch.

We had an oceanview room in the main building which had a great view and was nicely decorated.

The food was good but the buffet was a bit repetitive and limited especially at breakfast although the omelet station was great but after a week of omelets something different would have been nice.

The a la carte restaurants were great - we especially liked the Caribbean one and went back a few times.

After a few days at the loud pool we found the nice quiet pool by the emerald block of rooms and settled in there for the rest of our stay. Although the water was freezing in both pools they were tolerable as long as you weren't in the shade.

The beach area was quite small and I don't think this resort is for "beach lovers" but was nice to swim around in the ocean for a bit each day,

We would recommend this hotel and look forward to perhaps visiting again some day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Maria

I am happy that you had a nice week, and enjoyed our resort. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be used to enhance our product, to ensure our guest gets the expectation they are expecting. We thank you again, and hope to host you again soon.

New Cumberland, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Jewel Dunns River from 2/28 to 3/7. We booked a Sapphire mountain view room due to reviews about noise on the ocean view side. When we checked in we were upgraded to ocean view and I was a little leery of the noise complaints. Noise really wasn't a problem for us even tho we typically were in bed pretty early. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. I meant to check them to see what they were, but I forgot.

We chose this resort partially due to the Runaway Bay golf course. We stayed at Breezes Runaway Bay 2 years ago but that is now a Jewel property and is family oriented instead of adult only. I'll review the golf experience down below.

The room and furniture was nice. It showed a little bit of wear but clean and tidy. As reviews say, the bathroom is tiny but the sink area is outside of it so it really isn't an issue. My main bathroom complaint is that the water was not warm if you showered after 5pm. Morning shower temperatures were fine.

Being in the main building we were able to access the lobby's wifi from our balcony, which was an added bonus.

The resort grounds were always clean and attractive. If you stay in the Saphire building you have a 50% chance of your balcony looking down onto the roof. The beach is nice but small. Maybe 150 yards long. We never had a problem getting a beach chair, but towels were a constant problem.

The food was good. We enjoyed all of the restaurants during our stay. Portion sizes were tiny at Moonstone. My appetizer frittata was the size of a paper football. Our joke about Moonstone was that it was tasty, but bring a sandwich. Jade was good and the chef was entertaining. We went to Platinum twice. The lamb chops were excellent. The main buffet was pretty much as you would expect a buffet. Some odd combinations though. Scrambled eggs with carrots and raisins? Calaloo with just about anything. That was another running joke with my wife. We'd say something was good, but could use a little calaloo. We really enjoyed the jerk chicken at the beach bar area. The pizza was suprisingly good. I recommend adding sausage to the quatro frommage pizza.

Drinks were good and alcohol plentiful. My only complaint is that they don't serve Crown Royal. We had to drink Canadian Club. I'm suprised that with as many canadians as guests that they don't carry Crown Royal.

I really wish that they would have more musice outside expecially during the dinner hours. The grounds are dead from 5pm to 10:30. It doesn't need to be live or loud. Just a little background music for some "life". We liked the piano bar. The bartender Carl hooked up a tv so that there would be some music and one night a guest hooked up a portable speaker to his phone for music.

Runaway Bay Golf Course is about 20-25 minutes away from the hotel. We played it 2 years ago and it is in a little better shape than last time. It is fairly long 6500 from the white tees and lined with trees. The fairways are fairly genererous, but if you stray you will be under the trees and need to punch it back out to the fairway. I really wish that they would bring in a Caddymaster from a good course to teach the caddies how to do their job. A 25 year old jamaican woman should NOT be trying to give me swing tips. Also, they need to know the proper way to read a green and relay the information to the golfer. What they do is point to a part of the hole and say to "hit it here". It took me a few holes to realize that what they were saying was that after the ball breaks it would enter at that spot. Well, that isn't a good way to read putts. They should either pick a spot a few feet in front of the putt and say that this is your line or find the apex of the putt and trace that trajectory. The second day we golfed our shuttle (Mr Henry) didn't show up. We had them call him and he arrived 30 minutes later. I couldn't get an answer on how much to tip the caddie.

The whole tipping thing is a bummer. I'd much prefer a cruise tip system to this. Then at the end of your stay if someone went above and beyond for you you can slip them a few extra bucks. The way it is at JDR is annoying. I always had to have some cash on me just in case i needed it.

The return shuttle to the airport was very frustrating. We paid $30 each for the Club Mobay at the airport to get expedited entry thru customs and security plus access to the food and drinks in the lounge. Anyway, the shuttle driver Hugh took us off of the highway several times to "give us a tour we didn't pay for". We didn't want a tour. We wanted to get to the airport to enjoy Club Mobay and do some duty free shopping. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get to the airport which after being delayed checking in due to Air Tran systems being down only left us with about an hour to shop before boarding our flight.

I would consider staying here again, but I'm not sure that we will return.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in the Emerald building. Sapphire was good, but many balconies overlook the roo...
Dear Guest

Thank you and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and appreciate your feedback, and will definitely use them to enhance our product , and sorry that you were not able to enjoy the amentites at Club Mobay. I am happy that you will return to Jamaica, but sad that you might not return to us. Thanks again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
#4 of 40 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 stars 2,903 reviews
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!