“Take a private tour with Juna and Colane!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

Booking.com Expedia.com
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book by April 28 Save 40%
Ranked #6 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Toronto, Canada
“Take a private tour with Juna and Colane!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Just returned from a week stay at the Jewel. As stated in other reviews, its much smaller than the RIU next door but this is exactly what makes it so special. Every single employee on the resort goes the extra mile to be friendly and accomodating. We stayed in the Sapphire mountain view room which was spacious and spotless. The view of the mountains was beautiful...ignore the roof below. The food was very good and the drinks plentiful. The only negative would be the women selling the spa services, they tended to be a bit aggressive.

The best part of the vacation was going out on a private boat that was moored just outside of the resorts beach area. The owners, Juna and Colane, were amazing guides. They took us out to a private beach and cooked fresh fish, lobster and squid (caught that morning) over an open fire on the beach...would highly recommend going out with them!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Mary B

Thanks for staying with us and it was our pleasure to have hosted you, and delighted that you had a great time and enjoyed our resort.

See you soon.

2,800 people have reviewed this hotel

2064
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,084)
Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is our 3rd year traveling to an adults-only all-inclusive with the 2 prior years being in Mexico. The staff at this resort really made the trip nice.

We received an ocean view sapphire room which was an upgrade from the mountain view I had reserved. The room was nice and the bathroom was small, but it was OK since there was a separate vanity area and walk-in closet. I knew we would not get alcohol in our room because we were not in the diamond building, but it seemed kind of petty since the room was set up with a mini-bar. The turn-down service was very nice. I also enjoyed the open-air room with the windows and balcony and didn't need the A/C.

Our luggage was lost the first day and the concierge called the airline for me and made sure our bags would arrive later that night. We went to the gift shop to purchase items for the day and the lady working there was very helpful at picking out inexpensive items to get by until our luggage arrived. We didn't have proper attire to get into any restaurants for dinner, so the host at Platinum set a table outside in the tree bar for us and served us there which was very nice!

The food was average. I am a big fan of breakfast and found the breakfast very disappointing. One day the scrambled eggs had carrots and raisins in it...which I found odd. Lunch at the pizza place was great. The burgers at the other restaurant were not a consistent temperature so we didn't eat there. Platinum was very good. The Italian was good. The Japanese was too salty for me, but my boyfriend loved it.

I liked the smallness of the resort since it was never crowded for chairs/restaurants/drinks. It seemed like we hit a week of an older crowd. We are in our mid-30's and felt like there weren't a lot of similar aged people.

2 things that I did not like were:
1. On our last day it seemed that they allowed people from a cruise ship into the resort on a day pass. They crowded the pool and swim-up bar. It seems that only overnight guests should be able to use the resort facilities.
2. The spa ladies were way to annoying and aggressive. I felt like we were dodging them every time we went somewhere. The spa prices were not great and they didn't seem interested in negotiating.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and your comments at the end this will be used in a positive manner to enhance our product, and I extend my apologies on behalf of the Spa ladies, for the way they came across, which was not intentional.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just returned from 10 days at this hotel and it was excellent. It's a smaller resort (compared to the RIU next door), so the service is more personal. The rooms are spacious and very clean. Note: If you are looking for an early night's sleep, I wouldn't recommend the oceanview rooms, as the music is VERY loud and runs late most nights. The mini-bar in your room is always well stocked, based on your consumption. There are numerous activities available on this all adult resort, whether it be tennis, yoga, shuffleboard, golf, etc and Jamaica Tours are available for anything off resort. The food was very good (both buffet and a-la-carte), with a "Dinner on the Pier" night with live music on Friday. The Spa is good, but very pricey (as is the case in all resorts). There was never any problem getting pool or ocean side lounge chairs. Would suggest you come with enough sun tan lotion to last your visit, as the mark-up for these items at the hotel is crazy. Each night, hotel staff drop off a listing of events for the next day, restaurant availability, etc. Yes - there is no in room WiFi available (but we were on vacation). The only minor negative (as mentioned by others) is the limited beach area, this is not Seven Mile Beach by any stretch of the imagination. This was my third trip to Jamaica and by far one of the most enjoyable stays to date. I will definitely travel back to the Jewel Resort - Dunn's River.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are much quieter than ocean view. Great balconies with all rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and delighted that you enjoyed all that we had to offer, it was our pleasure to have hosted and looking forward to hosting you again on your next visit.

Moorestown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and daughter stayed here during the first week of January.
The resort itself was nice and I have no complaints other than with the front desk staff and manager.
I booked this trip for them through AAA. When I set up the trip I asked for two double beds. Somewhere between AAA and the resort things got messed up.
Upon arrival my wife was given a king bed room. She explained that she had requested a room with two doubles as it was just her and my daughter.
At first the front desk suggested they could setup a roll away bed.
No, sorry I’m not paying this kind of money to have my wife or daughter sleep on a cot.

They then said they had rooms with double beds but in a different building and it would cost $80 more per night. After travelling for hours and not wanting to get in a big argument my wife accepted. She called and told me what had happened.

I went online and found that the resort was offering those rooms to AAA members at only $13.75 more per night then the King rooms. Not $80.

Over the next two days and numerous phone calls I basically got nowhere with the front desk staff and reservations. I could never get a manager on the phone.
AAA even called on my behalf and got the same answer.
I didn’t ask for the room at no extra charge. I just asked that they charge me the published rate.
Since then I’ve written a letter to the Hotel management which I assume at this point ended up in the garbage because I’ve never gotten reply from them.

And for the duration of their stay the resort was maybe half full.
You had plenty of rooms available and easily could have avoided any problems by charging me the $13.75 more per night. Instead you decided to gouge me for every extra penny you could get.
No problem man. I may only be one person but I’ll be sure to never recommend your resort to anyone. I don’t care how nice the place may be.
Your customer relations are terrible.

PS - IS there nothing you can do about the drug dealers on the other side of the fence ?
It's one thing to see them on the street. But people don't expect to be hassled by druggies while trying to relax on the beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Chris

Let me firstly say, that fully understand that you booked this trip for your wife and daughter, and a request was made for a room with 2 beds. We do not gaurantee any request, and as such we the hotel roomed your family in the category that you booked, which as stated in your review was not the category with 2 beds. I know that you booked through AAA, and they offer great discounts, but once at the hotel, the difference between categories will not be the same, hence, we always recommend that guest booked and pay for the category, that will best suits their expectation, and not depend on a request to be granted.

I am also disturbed by the fact that you stated you were not able to speak with any manager, and also AAA tried on your behalf, this I finds hard to believe, as their is always a manager around. With regards to your letter that you claimed was sent in and might have eneded uo in the garbage, I for sure have nit received same, neither, my other managers, so not sure where that letter was sent. I would be more than happy to send you my email so you may address same, which will be sent to you in a PM.

My apologies, for us not able to roomed your family in the category with the 2 beds as per your request.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I'm from Jamaica and I love my island and I support their hotels. I live in New York and I brought my boyfriend for the first time for his birthday. The hotel was nice, but some of the staff made us feel like we did not belong there. We went for dinner at their Asian restaurant and the hostess had a problem with my dress and refused to seat me and my guests. The other patrons had on similar attire and she never addressed them, when the manager came nothing was done. I would walk into the gift shop and the staff would greet certain guests and not the "locals". At breakfast certain staff will ask certain guests if they need anything and ignore others. When asked to speak to the general manager the front desk made it impossible. I left a message for the general manager and she never respond to my complaints. I cannot say all the staff was cold, but it made me look at Jamaican hospitality in a whole new light.

• Stayed October 2012
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Let start by extending my apologies for the way you felt of the treatment received by the staff. This is not the norm, and our staff goes through intense training, of service levels and appreciating different diversity of culture. I am so sorry, and rest assured the matter will be addressed overall.

With regards to your request to speak with the GM, I must also apologies if this was not honored, as she has been on and off island, and just returned yesterday (Feb 11). I would have been more than happy to have met with you on her behalf, if the matter of your concerns were brought to my attention. Again, my sincere apologies.

boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

my wife and i recently made a 4 day trip to jamaica ( first time) and stayed at jewel dunn after reading several good reviewes and were EXTREMELY pleased. We normally dont write reviewes and unless its something really bad we dont complain either.

the best stuffs first:
1. the resort lives up to the positive reviews written on the TA. very clean , well maintained and approprately sized, not too small and not too big to get lost like the nearby RIU.
2. very good food and excellent services. there is sometining so contagious about jamaican's smile and their hospitality in this resort. amazing staff who are always friendly. cannot name anyone in particular but to group them the guys at the bar, girls at the pizza place, the manager and waiter at moonlight restaurant, the japanese restaurant, the coral restaurant and the caribbean restaurant, concierge desk, the front desk, the lifeguards, beach securities and house keeping, and of course the entertainment crew ; everyone was just AMAZING. no wonder there were people whom we met who were there for their second or third visit.
3. the pool is good size and never crowded. towels always available. 2 swim up bars , always ready with drinks( they are standard drinks and cocktails), available most of the time until very late in the night.
4. lots of daily activities including sports, gym, free water activities like free kayak ( loved it), sailing, jet ski and snorkling for minimal price, pool and beack volleyball, tennis , cricket matches .poolside entertainment by ENT and evening entertainment and the list goes on.
5. the rooms are clean and good. we had a mountain/ garden facing room with balcony which i believe is cheaper than ocean facing but we didnot miss being there. the reason being it is quiter on this side whtout noise from the beach or night time entertainment and music. the view of the hils and garden is beautiful and since the resort is not that big, the beach and pool area and restaurants are very closeby from whereever your room is. so unless you are particular about having an oceanfront room, you will save money and not loose much by having a mountain facing room ( sapphire).
5. the gym, beach, golf area, tennis couts everything is pretty good. there is a big chess board which we loved to play everynight after dinner.
6. you can book your tickets to nearby attractions in the resort itself and they provide transportatin at the same cost. the Dunn river fall is highly recommneded. i would not recommned combined tour to dunn river, botanical garden and ocho rios with an hour at the shopping center as botanical garden can be avoided adn would rather do dunn river and few hour trip to ocho rios ( to enjoy the town and its local feel) individually.
7. remember its adults only so dont have to worry about kids makng noise or disturbing you.
8. the resort has decent number of rooms so after few days you tend to get familier with other guests and most of them are friendly. most of the guests were from canada and canadians have a reputatin of being friendly.

now a few areas that could be improved ( not very concerning though)
1. the beach is a little small, if you are thinkin of a large swimmng area or think of jogging there.nevertheless is kept clean and well secured to prevent locals from entering in. it has a nice pier too.
2.there is no wifi in the rooms. there is wifi in the lobby with few monitors on the first floor for use and is convenient. but again ,its not a big deal not to have internet or TV everyhwere when you are on a vacation.
3. the drive to hotel from airport may be too long if you have to wait for the shuttle at the airport. it takes almost 2 hrs to the resort.

all in all a great vacation ( first time in jamaica) and at jewel dunn, OR. only regret is should have planned for a little longer vacation. damn...

Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed review and for taking the time to do so. Your points of improvement will definitely be used in a posituve manner to enhance our product, and to ensure that we keep our standard. I am delighted that you enjoyed all that we offer and the staff especially as mentioned in all areas, were courteous and accomodating. It was our pleasure and see you again soon.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Jewel at Dunn River.

I really enjoyed my stay - we had a Sapphire Room overlooking the ocean with a good sized balcony and it had a lovely view, very spacious room and was kept very clean and well looked after by the house keeping staff. The only small negative about the room was the lack of wi-fi but this is available in the reception area so definitely not a major problem.

The grounds are lovely and well maintained. I loved the view from the front of the hotel towards the mountains. We went on the nature walk with the head gardener which was a joy - he was very well informed and also entertaining

The area around the pools are also well maintained and very clean – staff are monitoring the areas regularly.

Food was of a good standard with a good choice especially for me who is a vegetarian - I especially liked the Coral and the Pizza Restaurant. My least favourite was the burger restaurant.

There are several bars – the tree bar seemed to have the best range and quality of drinks and cocktails – and they were all very strong – definitely not watered down

The Spa was overpriced - but I haven't found a spa hotel which isn't to be honest

The resort is small - but the staff are the thing that makes it very special. They were ALL very welcoming and warm throughout the stay - those in the resturant, the bars, the gardens, housekeeping etc

The entertainment staff put 110% into everything that they do and tried as hard as they could to make sure the guests had a good time. The one negative about this was that as the resort is small - it is difficult to avoid the entertainment which takes place every afternoon around the pool such as quizzes and volley ball - even if you are on the beach the sound travels - so if you are looking for a tranquil and quiet resort - this may not be the one for you.

Towards the end of the holiday – my partner was unwell. I cannot fault the response from Alicia on Reception as well as the Nurse – they were great and caring and very thoughtful while we were waiting for the doctor to arrive. Not only did they make sure my partner was treated well but also that I was fine and whether I needed anything. They also both called the next day to make sure he was on the mend. Really fantastic from both of them – thank you both so much!

So in conclusion - lovely hotel with warm and welcoming staff which I would recommend

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and sorry to know that your partner was not well, but am delighted that Alicia and the Nurse, ensure that you and your partner was fine. I appreciate you taking the time to give us your review about the staff, service, food and the resort. Thanks again and it was our pleasure.

Guest Services Manager

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!