“A relaxing resort with beautiful views.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SPA Package
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A relaxing resort with beautiful views.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just got back from the jewel Dunn's river beach resort with my friend (both of us are 27 year old girls from New Jersey)

Our room was in the sapphire building and faced the mountains. The views from the balcony were very pretty despite not facing the ocean. The room was clean and was always stocked with water and other drinks.

Unlike other all inclusive resorts I've been to, I had no trouble finding lounge chairs at the beach and pools each day. The ocean was beautiful. Security patrolled the beach to ensure that non guests did not bother anyone. I really liked that. On other vacations, I was frequently bothered by locals selling various things so it was nice not having to deal with that.

The resort itself was not too crowded which I loved. Everything (restaurants, pools, beach) was in close proximity and because it's a smaller resort, we never had to wait for anything. We also ended up seeing the same people each day so we formed numerous friendships while there.

The main pool was really nice. Loved hanging out by the pool bar and enjoyed watching the various games that went on throughout the day. There was also a quiet pool, but I preferred being near the action.

The staff was always very friendly. The staff frequently walked around the pool and beach asking if we needed drinks and also came around frequently to clean up. My only complaint was about the spa employees. They came around on several occasions to ask if I wanted to make a spa reservation. I am fully aware the resort has a spa so I was not particularly fond of being asked to make an appointment.

The food was okay. Not as good as the food back home, but for the most part, I liked everything I ate. My favorite meal was a special at platinum (shrimp creole with mashed potatoes - delicious). Drinks were very good. Loved the Jamaican smile drink.

The ride to and from the airport was about 1.5-2 hours. I didn't mind it because it gave me a chance to see the country without having to leave the resort. Plus the driver on the way to the resort pointed out various landmarks so it was a nice little history lesson.

Wireless Internet is available for free in the lobby. I was initially upset that I wouldn't be able to connect from my room, but in the end, it was for the better. I went there to hang out by the beach and pool, not to surf the Internet!

As far as the nightlife goes, it seemed like most people hung out by the piano bar for some karaoke, etc and called it an early night. The night club (bling) was basically empty every time I went. If you are looking to party hard late into the night, this probably isn't the place for you. I preferred getting up early everyday to lay by the pool and beach so I didn't mind going to bed at 10 or 11 each night.

Overall, it was a very relaxing trip. I met a lot of great people and had a wonderful time.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Mcguire86
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you and appreciate your feedback, it was our pleasure and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

East Moline
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Jewel Dunn's River is a lovely resort. Everything was clean, the staff friendly and accommodating and the grounds lovely. We upgraded to an ocean view room which is well worth the extra money. We went to this resort because we were big fans of the former Breezes Runaway Bay which was taken over by Jewel and converted to family friendly. So we decided to give Jewel Dunn's River a try because it was adult only. We don't have a problem with family friendly resorts as long as the resorts are set up for families and adults. The resort really is lovely but not "our" resort. It didn't have the same feel as Breezes did and there were a couple of things that I was disappointed with. I found it very hard to believe that if I wanted a plate of jerk chicken, a "staple" of Jamaica, I had to order it through room service and pay for it, even though we had paid for an all-inclusive stay. The jerk chicken wraps by no means replace a plate of jerk chicken. The other thing was the entertainment was held inside. Not outside to enjoy the wonderful weather, although the steel drum band was awesome! Didn't enjoy the food as much as when we stayed at Breezes. The oven fired pizza was a saving grace. We had thought about going back to Runaway Bay even though it is now family friendly because we loved that resort until I read the reviews and that resort is no longer an option. The room service was wonderful, the staff was wonderful but we will not return. We will continue our quest to find "our" resort!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room on the 4th floor which was very nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank janisb55
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and all the best on your quest to finding your resort of preference.

Daine Goalube
Manalapan, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed in the Sapphire building on the 5th floor—towards the middle of the building. Nice view of the water and the resort. The food was a bit above average, though I think the food at other resorts we’ve stayed at in Turks & Caicos, Aruba (not all-inclusive), Mexico and the DR was a bit better. The resort itself was nice, albeit small and the beach was very, very small and essentially not what we’ve grown accustomed to from our other Caribbean vacations. All that said (and perhaps contrary to some postings here and elsewhere--perhaps since we've eaten at Japanese hibachi restaurants in the past) we thought the Platinum was the best of all the restaurants. Definitely try the Apple-crusted pork and the steaks there. Awesome!
The drinks are definitely not top-shelf stuff, and there’s much less in terms of presentation compared to what we’ve seen elsewhere. Still, always nice to have cold drinks whenever you want one. The service staff would come around every so often and offer to get drinks for you, but the resort is small enough that unless you are really lazy there's always a bar close by for you to get your own drinks and chat a bit with others.

The tennis pro (Joe) was definitely a high-light even though we’re not tennis players. We ended up doing his clinics pretty much each day and learned a lot and can see playing more often because of it.

The nightly entertainment was okay, but again a bit below expectations although the beach BBQ night was pretty cool. The one outside activity we took was climbing Dunn's River Falls which is a "must do" event. And it was awesome that it was only about ten minutes away.

Overall definitely a fun time and very enjoyable! We just perhaps expected a little too much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alex L
Dear Alex L

Thank you for your review and appreciate you taking the time to let us know of you feedback. Comments like yours are always welcome, which beused in a positive manner to enhnace our product. Thnaks again and hoping to host you again soon.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Like all resorts, any ratings and comments should be tempered by value for money.
We were very lucky and had a last minute deal through Sunquest vacations.
Thus I can't really provide a negative rating for the resort as we got full value.
I also checked out the resort ratings prior to "booking" the vacation, thus I had a reasonable understanding of the resort.
Service is quite good, front desk interations were very professional.
We stayed on the forth floor of the main building looking out over the grounds and the hills at the entrance of the resort. Liked the room, balcony and the general quietness of this side of the resort. Of note is the quite small bathroom - if you are large person this could be an issue.
We did like the amount of storage space and separate sink area.
Grounds are quite interesting - take the resort organzed walking tour. Many of the trees and plants are imported from other parts of the tropics.
Liked the pool areas althought many of the pool sites are starting to show their age, There was never an issue getting chairs and finding a bit of shade if you need some.
Food was quite good - nothing to write home about but presentation and staff were execellant.
Please check out when the various eating spots are open for dinner etc...depending on he various evening special dinners and after dinner activities, some spots are not open.
Beach was small but enjoyable. Liked the easy access to the Hobie cats - no need to reserve one as there was always one or two available.
This resort was previously a Sandals resort. While I had no issue with cleanliness, it is starting to age a bit - not that this should damper the vacation experience.
Travel to and from the resort is easy from the "bay" airport - organzed buses etc....Bus trip was 2 hours or so, but you get a chance to see a bit of the country.
The resort is on the small size, and great for a week or so. While staying two weeks isn't out of the question......best to plan some outings.
I would return again and can recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 405Paul_M405
Dear Guest

Thank you for your reveiw and delighted that you enjoyed your time. We appreciate you taking the time to giveus your feedback. This will be shared with our associates and to continue encourage them and also to enhance our product.

Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My daughter and son-in-law spent their honeymoon at the Jewel Dunn's River in September 2011. When we were looking for somewhere for a spring break trip last March we decided on the Jewel based on their recommendation. We booked the Sapphire Ocean Room and were upgraded to a suite. The suite was very nice and the view phenomenal. We enjoyed the food and the service was always great. The tennis pro sat and ate with us at breakfast one day and I asked if everyone is truly as happy as they seemed. He said they all do love their jobs there. We looked at several options for our trip this year, but have decided we're going back to the Jewel. I liked that is it adults only, and while there was a party atmosphere around the pool, it wasn't a bunch of young spring breakers. The service is more personal since it is a smaller resort, and I have recommended it to anyone who asks. Can't wait to get back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lynda C
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Hi Lynda C

Thank you for your review and happy that, you enjoyed it this time around just as the first. It was our pleasure to have hosted you and thanks for the recommendation, and hope to see again.

Sioux Falls,South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

January 12th -19th we had another opportunity to visit the Jewel. This was my 5th trip to the Jewel with 3 of them being a work/company trip (incentive for our Managers) that we do every January. With that being said the Jewel once again welcomed me and my wife our Management team and their spouse and some of my friends with open arms. I am not sure that I can add a lot to the other hundreds or thousands of positive reviews other than to confirm all the positive things that you read about the Jewel are very true. We like to visit the Jewel with our company and then my wife and I like to sneak down to the Jewel just the two of us to get away another time in the year. The entire Jewel staff is second to none and I would feel guilty listing names because they are ALL so very kind, caring and are all stand outs in my book. If you are looking for a great get away for you and your partner or maybe you are looking for a place to bring your management team for a team building week the Jewel is your place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank TedandNikki
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hi Ted & Nikki

Welcome home, and happy that it was another year of memories, many more to follow. It was our pleasure and see you again next year.

Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I love this place! I am excited for my next trip whenever that is (lol). The food is good and the staff is so pleasant! I had a good time with family friends. The pizza bar was nice..you can mix and match your toppings..my friend had a chocolate and banana pizza (not for me lol). The rooms are nice and simple. The bathroom was a little small but I guess that's the least. They also have nightly entertainment and movies by the pool (not sure if that's every night). I have no complaints. It was a good first experience and they'll always have my money once they keep up the good work. Also, look out for their specials. I'm not sure if they are pricey outside of that, but their specials are definitely worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karen D
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Karen D

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I am delighted that you had a great time and you enjoyed our resort. see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
#14 of 40 in Ocho Rios
4.0 of 5 stars 7,106 reviews
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!