“Very Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is a smaller older resort. Its size makes for easy access to the beach and more personable service from the staff. Despite its age it is still well maintained and clean. The food was good (not great) and I wish the drinks were stronger. I would recommend it a friend and would not hesitate to go back again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Nate K

Thank you for your review and it was our pleasure to have hosted you. See you soon.

2,991 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,181)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I went to the Jewel for our delayed honeymoon at the end of December 2012. We had a phenomenal time and could not recommend it enough for a honeymoon or romantic getaway.

We stayed in an ocean view butler suite. The balcony was huge and had a great ocean view. The balcony was so great, we didn't want to leave it the first afternoon we were there! The room itself was spacious and immaculately clean. The rest of the property was very well maintained with a beautiful beach and tropical gardens to explore. Every restaurant on the property that we tried was fantastic.

As others have mentioned the real "jewel" though is the staff. The service was amazing from the time we pulled up to the property until the moment we left. Every single person on staff that we spoke to was as friendly and helpful as could be. The entertainment staff, waiters, and bartenders, each took the time to ask your name, and they would remember you and call you by name two or three days later! The butler staff was awesome, and they helped orchestrate some of the most romantic moments of our trip. My wife was truly overwhelmed.

We can not wait to go back!

PS: If you are the on a honeymoon or romantic getaway, be sure to do the beach cabana/private dining package, it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Room Tip: Ocean view butler suites all the way!
Dear Tim M

Thank you for choosing The Jewel Dunns River for your vacation, and it was our pleasure to have hosted you. We are delighted that you had a great time and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I will start by saying the staff at this hotel are without doubt some of the best we've come across. They don't expect tips and the service is always first rate.

When we went there were a few bees around the sweet stuff at the bars but as they have been displaced by hurricane Sandy and they really ignore people it just needs a little bit of manning up from some guests at the bar (the staff aren't bothered).

We had a Sapphire ocean view room on the 6th floor, great views and spacious room with safe. Loved the bed!

The Bad stuff is just for the hotel do not get put off by it. We expect the best and they delivered overall.

The Good:

The Staff, The Staff, The Staff, The Staff

There is a Burger bar and Pizza oven open nearly 24/7 which does do cracking burgers, Pizza's and wraps, Again the staff are cracking.

Bar Staff and the range of drinks they can make are brilliant. Not at all concerned about measures. Bellini's all day!

Well equipped gym but needs treadmills and could do with sealing in with air con, as it gets HOT & SWEATY!

Have i mentioned the staff?

The beds are Huge, I'm 6'4" and nearly lost the other half in the bed.

3 Free PC's to use with printer and internet. Great for online booking in for the return flights seats.

The sea is lovely, the pools are great. Two swim up bars in the different pools with a couple of whirlpools.

Loved the Piano bar and the Emerald tree bar (see the Pics)

You'll love the Beach BBQ and the dinner on the Pier, look out for these evenings.

The bad:

Checking in with a photocopy on a clipboard is a poor way of operating for a high end hotel. Its just embarrassing.

There needs to be a pack in the room telling you all about the resort, the restaurants, where to get beach towels etc. Everywhere else has this for a reason!!!!

The hotel itself is starting to get a little tired around the edges and could do with a closed refurbishment to bring it back up to the island leading resort that it deserves to be.

The "Italian" restaurant Moonstone whilst tries its best to be of a European origin, as someone who is very used to the real thing its nowhere near and would benefit from the chefs visiting the real deal.

Generally the food is very good but the hotel should focus on what it does very well and that is Jamaican food which is great, From conversations with other guests people would like the buffet style restaurant to be open of an evening as well because its what it does really well.

In summary we met some fantastic people and i mean the staff and guests. We had a great time and would recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Its worth going for Ocean view as there are none that are partial view from what we could tell.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and happy that you took the time to gives us your feedback, which will be used in a constructive way to enhance our product. I am happy that the staff took care of you and you would recommend our hotel. Thanks again and hoping to host you again.

West Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My Fiance and I stayed at the Jewel for six nights and I can honestly say that I have no complaints. The fact that the Jewel is an adults only resort is hugely beneficial if you are a couple looking to spend a relaxing time together with no distractions. The beach was private with security at either end so you will NOT be hassled by any locals trying to braid your hair or sell you crafts. The resort next to the Jewel was not so fortunate, they had no security and you could clearly see that there were people on their side giving the guests a hard time... I believe that hotel was called the RIU. The RIU hotel was a typical enormous hotel where the food was milled out in enormous quantity but at the jewel there are less than 300 rooms so the attention to detail when it came to the dining was evident. Overall we were happy with the food, accommodations, people and would recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that you had a great time and enjoyed our resort. Thanks again and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I traveled to the Jewel for the 2012 holidays and met up with my family from Canada who chose the spot. I'm so glad that they did because I absolutely loved my stay. We were upgraded to the bungalow rooms which were absolutely gorgeous. I was a little nervous about being on a relaxing vacation for 6 days and being bored but I honestly didn't even open a book. From the water lessons from Vidal to the pool side competitions, there was always something to do. Every single staff member that I came in to contact with was beyond warm and welcoming. I had the best drinks of my life (Damion, Demitri, Carl) that will now make all other drinks pail in comparison. My family of 6 had fun every night from the beach dinner entertainment to the kareoke and dancing. The "gems" made us all feel awesome and at home and the hammock napping wasn't bad either. I seriously only have great things to say about this resort and can't wait to plan my next trip back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Leah

Thanks for your review and delighted that you had a great time with your family and ca't wait to return. Thanks again and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and looking forward to your return.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've been wanting to go to the Jewel ever since I heard about it's Jewel exclusives, adults-only resort, amazing staff, and luxurious vacation for an affordable price so I finally booked a trip with my bf when I found a good deal. I like to be prepare for my vacation so I always do research on the resort so I know what to expect and get the most out of my vacation - Jewel resort was relaxing and not too crowded where it can be annoying when you're just trying to relax and the staff was nice overall. Here are the details for what I enjoyed and what I found could have been better:

Transportation:
It was nice to have airport transfer included in the package since the resort was so far away so we didn't have to pay extra but the bus ride there was not pleasant at all. Checking in with Jamaica Tours at the airport was easy, we had to wait 20 minutes before the bus departed because the bus was still empty which I can understand but what annoyed me was that the bus made so many hotel stops before the Jewel that it ended up taking over 2.5 hours to get to the resort. We were told that it would take 1.5 hours but instead we were on the bus for close to 3 hours which wasted half of my day already. We ended up spending 15 minutes at each hotel instead of a quick 5 minutes drop off - I think the bus driver should stick to a schedule so one passenger doesn't delay the rest of the bus. Not to mention that our departure pick up time was at 9:20am when our flight wasn't until 2:17pm in the afternoon, I thought I would still have the morning to relax at the beach but I couldn't do anything on the last day because the pick up was so early - all because they had to pick up other passengers at other hotels. I think Jewel should offer airport transfers that are exclusive to Jewel guests - its such a waste of time that my 5 day vacation was really only 3 days.

Accomodations:
We booked the basic premier guest room but we ended up with a room in the Emerald Lanai buildings which was nice. The lanai rooms are definitely more convenient since you dont need to take an elevator and is close to most of the facilities. Everything in the room was comfortable except for the super tiny bathroom. I already knew it was going to be small based on reading other reviews but I didn't think it was THAT small where the you can't even close the door after walking in. That was not comfortable at all, they either expand the bathrooms or change it to a sliding door so it takes up less space. Another issue was with the bed comforter, there was obvious stains on it but housekeeping never changed it for us, they just re-fold it to hide the stains.

Food and Drinks:
We were only able to enjoy breakfast at Coral Cafe because Platinum was always closed for breakfast. A little disappointed in that because we wanted to try everything possible. Buffet breakfast and lunch at Coral Cafe was good but nothing too special.The jerk chicken/pork wraps at Aquamarina were really tasty and nicely portioned so that it can be a mid-day snack. The pizzas were very fresh and good for snack as well. For dinner - Moonstone was average, pasta dishes were very dry and my seafood dish only came with 3 tiny mussels and 3 super tiny clams but the outdoor seating was nice and the waitress was friendly. Jade Samurai was ok - it was a fun experience with the chef giving us riddles to solve and i remember the beef and shrimp being really good but the rest was alright. They use same sauce in everything and did not really taste like Japanese food, but overall it was fun interacting with the chef and other guests at the table. Dinner under the stars at the pier was very good - it was a set 6-course meal for everyone but there was a violinist who played very good music and it was nice interacting with other guests. For the last night, I had planned to have dinner at the Platinum and I even called front desk to make sure they were going to be open on Saturday, but when we received the itinerary for Saturday and found out they were going to be closed, I was super disappointed. It ruined my plan to try every restaurant and was upsetting to find out that their staff gave me wrong information - we spoke to concierge and they offered us a deal where they will let us order from the Platinum menu but we would have to eat the food at Coral Cafe or in our room. it was better than nothing but not the same since I coudn't enjoy the Plantinum atmosphere. Nevertheless, the food was delicious and I'm glad I got to try it. Lastly, the drinks were always soooo strong, theyre definitely not cheap with alcohol but to be honest most of their drinks taste the same since they use the same alcohol in everything. I was disappointed that they couldn't make me any mango flavored drink - you would go to Jamaica thinking they are known for fruits but they didn't have any mango or other fruit flavors.. A few drinks that were recommended by staff/guests were Bob Marley, Hurricane #5 and 7-11 which were all very strong and not too tasty lol.

Staff and Service:
Most of the staff were friendly and nice (shout out to Garnet who was really nice to talk to), they would greet you and smile when they see you with the exception of a few who were kind of rude. The omelet guy at Coral Cafe was not friendly at all, when we ask if this is where we order omelets he gaves us a rude stare and just noded and when I asked him to name the toppings he didn't answer us. Another unfriendly staff was the bartender at sunken treasure swim up bar - he never smiles or greets us, when we ask for recommendations he doesn't give us any and when we ordered 2 drinks, he only made us 1. One of the staff members decided to give me and my bf nicknames for the duration of our vacation which we didnt really mind at first but then found a it a little offensive when I kept hearing that multiple times throughout the day. He called me Chun Li and my bf Blackie Chan, hes not even Chinese to start with so for him to assume that he's related to Jackie Chan because he looks Asian was sort of rude. We I confronted him saying hes not even Chinese and I look nothing like Chun Li, he says youre on vacation, whatever name I give you you stick with it, the way he responded was pretty rude too. Yeah Im on vacation and if I dont like being called names I dont like then you dont call it. My bf really like the security staff on the beach who makes sure outside vendors and random people cannot bother their guests, he would follow them whereever they go to make sure they do not interfere with the relaxing atmosphere of the beach. One big disappoint was that the resort did not fulfill all the Jewel Exclusives that they advertised to offer - there was no pool concierge and no departure gift. Why would you advertise that on your website and make that a selling point to attract guests when you don't even offer those services - that's false advertising.

Excursions:
We booked excursions through the Excursion desk at the resort - we did the Dunn's River Falls and the Chukka Zipline/Horseback Ride and Swim combo tour. Booking was simple and the staff was helpful. Both tours were very fun and exciting!

Overall experience:
I think the Jewel gives you a home feeling since it is small and you get to see the same staffs and guests everyday and interact with them which was nice. The guests are mostly couples and i have to say that most of them are older couples, we were like the only young couple in our low-mid 20s. It is definitely not luxurious or 5 stars though so if you're looking for a luxury resort this is not it.

Room Tip: If you prefer to be close to everything and being able to go back to your room easily to grab someth...
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and must apologise for the issues raised in the review. I have sent you a PM, and would love to speak with you more in details about your review. There are areas of concerns that I would love to clarify. These areas are the Platinum for breakfast that you mention was closed, however there is a sign that mention that the menu is offered at the Coral Cafe, the pool concierge you stated was non- existent, they are on the pool deck and beach from 9am - 5pm daily serving drinks, fruits kebabs and cold towels, the farewell gift, which is the rock candy is given on your final night at turn down. Awaiting your response.

Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was our second trip to the Jewel Dunn's river in three months. We absolutley love the place, the country, the people and th whole experience. We highly recommend the Jewle as a destination resort. Beautiful beach, small in size, but packed with the best amenities, and people in Jamaica!

Room Tip: Pick the Diamond view room! every day wake up and share the beach on your balconey
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest

I am happy that your second trip to paradise was a memorable one and delighted that we were able to let you experience it all over again. It was our pleasure and see you the thrid time around very soon.

Guest Services Manager

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!