“FABULOUS VACATION!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Cambridge, Canada
“FABULOUS VACATION!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at The Jewel from Nov 19.28 and this trip was amazing from the moment we were on the property!!! From the bellman, to the front desk, concierge ,to all the rest of the staff.Everyone is so friendly , always smiling, and making sure you want for nothing.
Our room (diamond concierge room) was lovely. The resort was clean and there was always someone making sure nothing else around the grounds needed to be done.
The food was great, and if you ever left the restaurant hungry you had no one to blame but yourself!! I would not pin point any one staff member because in my opinion they were all wonderful.
If i had one minor thing it would be that the spa girls would come around a little too often to try and get you in the spa....but that is all i would say was not great!!
I truly cannot say enough about this place and if you are considering a vacation i would highly recommend The Jewel. I have stayed at 2 other resorts in Jamaica and I can say with great confidence.. THE BEST TRIP YET!!! I cannot wait until we return for our next vacation!!!
THANK YOU to all the Jewel staff who work so hard and are always smiling and doing everything they can to make your visit wonderful and memorable!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and delighted that you had a great time and that the staff and service that was received, was one of thecontributing factor of your vacation being a relaxed and a well spent one. Thanks again and see you on your next visit.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,311)
new castle, de
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Jewel Dunn River in a Sapphire Oceanview room on November 17th thru November 23rd for our 10th wedding anniversary and it was a awesome time. Everyone was so nice and friendly - not just the staff but the guest as well. We had been to Jamaica before and stayed at the Sandal Grande Resort and it wasn't as nice as this was. The service was awesome, the food was good and the rooms were cleaned and appointed. We enjoyed our massage and body scrub it was so relaxed. I will definitely be back and tell other about this place. Yes the rating is true and and the service is good.

Room Tip: Sapphire Oceanview Room was great and roomy! Good view.
Dear Guest

I am delighted that your 10 year anniversary was a memorable one, and we appreciate you making us apart of it.

Thank you and see you soon.

pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Jewel from Nov 19-24 for our honeymoon. Everything was fabulous!! I have traveled a lot of places, but it was my first trip to Jamaica, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The ride from the airport was a little long, but it was nice to see Jamaica outside of a resort. The driver was very informative and the scenery was great, so the ride ended up being a great experience as well. I was very pleased with my mountain view room, especially the walk-in closet! I hate living out of a suitcase, so it was nice to have plenty of room for our stuff! The day maids were awesome and our fridges stayed stalked! The evening maids made sure we had fresh towels. Some food was better than others, but we enjoyed everything we ate! No complaints! The breakfast buffet had so many options! Even as a picky eater, I had no trouble finding food I liked at any time during my stay. My favorite thing was the pizza! DELICIOUS!!!!! The entertainment was nice and the staff was AWESOME! I can't say enough about ALL of the staff. The beach and pier dinners were both very enjoyable. We planned three excursions, and the staff at the travel desk was very helpful. Everything was so easy and stress free! We had a couples massage at the spa and it was very relaxing. I definitely had NO WORRIES during my stay!! My husband and I had an incredible time and we can't wait to come back! THANK YOU, JEWEL!!!!!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and delighted that you had a great and memorable vacation, and it was our pleasure to have been apart of those memories. Thanks again and see you soon.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Jewel Dunn's River last week and had fun. Overall it is a nice facility. We booked the Emerald Lanai rooms and ended up asking for an upgrade to the Diamond tower, since we were dissatisfied with the size and cleanliness of the room. I really liked our room in the Diamond tower.

The beach is nice and mostly smooth sand. On a very very windy day, the beach was very rocky and required water shoes. The pool was freezing. This is one of two reasons for 4 stars instead of 5. There are two hot tubs, but one was only lukewarm. The bellhop and front desk staff were friendly. The restaurant servers were hit or miss. We had both good and bad. We tipped the good but not the bad. The bar tenders were fine, but the only really friendly bar tender was Cornell.

Sometimes the hotel allowed vendors into the resort. Most were respectful and not too pushy (Jamaicans trying to sell you something are very pushy) but some were downright disrespectful and we went out of our way to completely avoid them (the sandal people were the bad ones).

The resort does have nightly entertainment, but it starts pretty late (10:30/11pm). A busy day in Jamaica can wear you out! We did do the Dining Under the Stars on Friday night (included) and definitely worth it. Go!

Reason #2 for the 4 star vs 5 star rating was the food. Less quality than I anticipated for an expensive resort. There are 3 nice restaurants, 1 buffet, and 2 little snack bars (burgers, pizza, etc). The buffet was okay, but the fruit was not fresh and there was not a wide variety. Terrible, in fact the worst, french toast I have ever tasted. The pancakes were abysmal as well. Just not up to par with my expectations for the cost.

The Jade Samari is the formal-dress restaurant and is hibachi style (they do not tell you this!). I had some delicious sushi as a first course but did not like the fried rice they made. Incredibly salty. The service was good there, though.

I also did not experience staff bringing out fruit to the pool area, which I was really looking forward to. I did have a massage, which was good, but ungodly expensive.

We did get to kayak, which is included and was fun. There is para sailing, but you have to attend 9am lessons. We also did the glass bottom boat ($10/pp) which was okay, but I got so motion sick it was hard to look down.

Overall a fun time and I would stay again, if the deal was good. I would recommend. It is definitely a couples resort.

Room Tip: I suggest going with a regular room for the lower price and then requesting an upgrade if you are no...
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and am happy that despite the few negatives that was encountered you still had a great experience. I extend my apologies for the negatives. I appreciate you informing me of the negatives, which will allow me room for improvement of our product. Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

Olympia Fields, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

OMG! What an amazing vacation! At first I was a little apprehensive about the resort, because I didn't know anyone that had stayed here prior to, nor had I heard of it before and I consider my self to be a world traveler. Upon our arrival, my husband and I, along with my sister in law and her husband. Were greeted by bellhop, with the most wonderful personality. Then immediately a young lady Avalyn from the spa greeted us with cool towels. Checking in was easy and very personable.
I said to the front desk clerk, do we need wrist bands she said no "mon" every here knows you. I said umm! Ok! She was correct, everyone there greeted you daily by name. This resort is one of the best kept secrets in Ocho Rios. In spite of the rain the first two days this was one of the best vacations we have. Had the food was fantastic, the choices were nice we daily in the Coral Cafe for breakfast. The Jamaican choices of food were fantastic. Our room with the nice courtyard view was perfect clean and comfortable. The mini bar stocked daily. The entertainment staff was the THE ABSOLUTE BEST! They were the hardest working crew. They were the first ones we saw in the morning and the last in the evening. The idea of movies by the pool. Awesome! Below are the people that made our vacation GREAT!

The Gems - The Mayor, Happy Feet, Salisa aka as (Ms. Salsa) Sunsanie aka as (Pint) Kat aka as (Half-Pint), Babyface. The six of them are true Gems!
CarlEtta - Housekeeping, thank you for going that extra mile to ensure we were comfortable
Camarra, Sanya, Kurt, Roger, Garnett, Basil, Uton, Dwayne thank you all!

Ps: I am sure you all will remember Patricia from the Beach Party!

Thanks again we will return soon!

EJ and ED

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest

It was our pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that you had a great time, and that although you weren't sure what to expect, your expectation was exceeded. A special thank you for taking the time to recognize the staff, this will be shared with them and will continue to motivate them as they perform daily.

Thanks again and see you soon.

Niagara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We were at the Jewel Nov. 21 - 28. Can't say enough how much we enjoyed our stay there. My only complaint was that we couldn't stay longer. The rooms were nicely appointed and the bed was Great! The food was all good, especially the snack bars (very convenient during the day when you didn't want to leave the beach - the pizza was really tasty.) We've been on a number of caribean vacations and I can say that the staff, from the bell hops, front desk, servers, animation team were the nicest we've ever met. A big thank you to Basil, the pool/beach concierge who provided exceptional service. I can say that we noticed the same excellent service was provided to both tippers and non-tippers. Basil, though very busy, would stop and converse with us, providing a snapshot of Jamaican life. We used all of the restaurants at the resort, including the "dinner on the pier" event. The time and effort put into preparing seating for approx. 200 people at one sitting was impressive - and the food was great. We did the Dunns Falls tour as well as the YS Black River tour (full day - pick up at 7 a.m. return to hotel approx. 9) A great way to see more of Jamaica than just staying at the resort. Previous to this trip for some reason, Jamaica was not on my list of places I wanted to visit, but now I can't wait to go back. Jewel Dunns Rivers and the people sold us on Jamaica!! We'll be booking again soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Irene W

I am delighted that your visit to Jamaica and The Jewel Dunns River was a memorable one, and that you enjoyed not only the resort, but also Jamaica. I am happy that Basil took care of you and this will be shared with him. Thanks again for visiting and hope to host you again soon.

Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed at the Jewel from June 18-June 24, 2012 for our honeymoon. It was SO much fun. Everybody was SO friendly - the food was good, everything was beautiful. We can't wait to come back!!! We are, however, extremely disappointed to hear that Conrad is no longer at the Jewel. We can only hope this is a rumor, as he was THE BEST bartender there. We would try different bars every night but always ended up back with Conrad. It was terrible when he had the night off. He was so entertaining. If he's gone we hope you find a way to bring him back!!!! :) It will not be the same without him. Keep up the good work - this place was fantastic!!!!

The only thing I would improve is the exercise equipment. The treadmills barely worked and kept stopping while I was running. Kinda dangerous! :) I think the exericise area needs a lot of improvement if people are going to downing 500 calorie drinks all day :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Katie

Thanks for the review and the feed back with regards to the equiptment. Since June they have been worked on. I understand your disappointment with Conrad not being here, but other opportunity presented it's self and he moved along. We do however, have other fantastic staff members, that can give the same excellent service as Conrad. Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

Guest Services Manager

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!