“5 Stars For Service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% EXTRA SAVINGS
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
GreenLeadersBronze level
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“5 Stars For Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is certainly not a 5 Star Hotel but thumbs up for the people at the hotel making this a great place! This was our first time in Jamaica and I'm not sure if was Jamaica as a whole, but a visit to the Dunns River Falls showed us that not all Jamaicans are nice. Actually, they can be very rude but not at the Jewel Dunn's!

The meals were decent for an All Inclusive. I've been to many where the food is just one big buffet of barely edible food and sit down meals looked nice but lacked in any flavor. We found the meals here to be decent. Although my opinion was not the norm, the restaurant food I enjoyed the least was Jade. Again, the service was great and it was fun meeting even more people, I found the flavors just all blended. If my eyes were closed it would be hard to tell other than texture what I was eating since it all tasted the same - except the Tuna - that was just awful.

I have no doubt that Sandals sold off the property since it's time for a little facelift. Some things could use replacing but there are thousands of people in a years time so I get it. The drawers in the bureau were difficult to open and close as well as the closet but that the was the only frusturating thing for me in the room other than the air seemed to run non-stop with never a cold room. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean. We had a standard room with a great view of the falls in the pool and the ocean.

The great atmosphere by all the employees was certainly contagious. As a uptight American from the East Coast, they broke through our hard exterior and had us relaxing in no time at all.

We would go back for sure!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and appreciate you taking the time to give us a constructive critisim, which will be used to enhance our product and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,496)
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Jewel Dunn's River was a wonderful place to celebrate our 20th Anniversary! We stayed there from Nov 8 - Nov 14. It is a smaller resort, so it has a more intimate feel. The lush vegetation around the grounds, including the pool area, seem to turn each part of the resort into it's own little neighborhood. We loved the relaxing welcome in the open air lobby - "sit, have a drink, put your feet up, we'll get that paperwork done for you!" What an impressive welcome!

We were originally booked for an Emerald Lanai room, but were upgraded to a Sapphire room in the main building, mountain view. At first I wish we'd had ocean-view, BUT was glad later when we heard that the partying on the pool deck went on until 11pm sometimes. Each evening I would open the door to our balcony and listen to the chirping critters fill a soft warm Jamaican night. And each morning I would sip my in-room coffee (some of the best in-room coffee I've ever had!) while gazing at the lush green mountains.

The restaurants were very good, altho some more to our liking than others. The Jade was fine, and the service excellent, but we thought there were too many different flavors offered on the various foods, and it was a little too much for my stomach. I had to ask for some plain white rice to balance out the strong hoisin sauce on the fried rice. Offering plain rice in advance would be nice, but otherwise, a fun dining experience.

The Platinum is your fancy, white-glove, dress-code place, and we ate there twice. The second time was after the menu was changed on Sunday. (note, Platinum and Moonstone change menus every Sunday, so if you want variety, extend your trip from mid-week to mid-week) I had a nice-sized piece of sirloin and the chocolate mousse with a side of ice cream was the best dessert all week. Still, presentation here is the thing, with many items more along the "California Cuisine" look and portion sizes, with Jamaican ingredients and flavors.

Moonstone is the Italian restaurant, and a big dish of pasta was just what the doctor ordered after a few days of new and unusual culinary experiences. Very tasty!

Coral Cafe is the Breakfast and Lunch buffet room, and we VERY much enjoyed the open-air feel and looking out over the pool and ocean every morning. We loved the made-to-order omelet bar, the variety of fruits and especially the coffee!

We also enjoyed just going for a walk around the grounds after every meal, including out to the end of the pier and around each of the pools. It was just so *relaxing*!

We also enjoyed relaxing in the big, breezy lobby, The large couches were great spots to kick back for a few minutes any time of the day or night, especially if you wanted to check in on your electronic device with the free wi-fi. Hubby and I even had "our couch" where we would do the "cozy couple with smart phones" thing.

We didn't do any of the excursions because we're not really that adventurous, and they are expensive, but we did go into town twice to shop ($10/two hours). I did splurge on a massage and Shirley did a wonderful job of relaxing me even more than I already was!

The staff is exceptional, and I think one of their requirements for hiring is an ability to remember names ;-) "Happy Feet", "The Mayor", Salisa and the other entertainment staff were always "up", always happy to see you, and did a great job of making you feel welcome and offering fun activities. We didn't join in much, but we could tell those that did were having a great time! In the restaurants, Anthony was exceptional, as was Walvin and so many others. We enjoyed interacting with the staff, and getting to know them over the course of our stay. Joseph, the tennis pro, ate lunch with us one day, and we had a great conversation with him and he answered our many curiosities about Jamaican life.

At the bars it is so easy to try new things because it's already paid for. And if you don't like it, no big deal. But definitely try a "Jamaican Smile" - strawberry daiquiri mix + pina colada mix + Jamaican Rum Cream. YUM, YUM.

A few things I found unusual because of their absence were: 1) not nearly as much chocolate as this chocoholic would have liked. The best chocolate treat of the trip was the heart-shaped brownies they brought to our room the second day, on a plate with swirly designs and "Happy Anniversary" spelled out in chocolate. Other than that, not much. 2) cheeses. The only cheese offered at the omelet bar was mozzarella, an usual choice for an omelet, and the only cheese offered in the Italian restaurant was grated parmesan. I just found it unusual.

If I were to add anything to the resort it would be a dessert corner - ice cream, milk shakes, cupcakes, brownies, fudge, open from lunch until late at night.

Overall, I thought the Jewel was a wonderful place! We would definitely recommend it to any couple looking for a relaxing get-away. You can play hard all day and party all night, or you can just relax 24//7. This place really offers you the ability to do that. If you want quiet, choose a mountain-view room in the Sapphire building. It was perfect for us 40-somethings just needing to unwind and we would certainly consider going back. High praise from us for The Jewel Dunn's River! Yah, mon!

Room Tip: Mountain view in the Sapphire Building are probably the quietest. The Diamond building has a back s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest

It was our pleasure to have hosted you and thank you for such a great review and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Evanston, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I don't think I can say enough about this resort. From the second you arrive you are met with genuinely friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable staff. Our room was steps from the pools and the beach. Just imagine waking up whenever you'd like, greeted by the beautiful Caribbean sun, smiles, and of course the 'Jewel of the day' at every bar (a different specialty drink featuring Jamaican rum). The entertainment staff were the nicest, my husband instantly made friends with them and we spent our days lounging on the beach, playing volleyball with the staff and other guests, and partied throughout the evenings. The food was amazing! From the snack bars to the sit down restaurants. The River Falls were a short bus ride away and well worth the excursion. We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kendall

Thank you and delighted that your vacation/honeymoon was a memorable one, and we here are delighted to be apart of it. Thanks again and see you soon.

Bancroft, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We were at the Jewel from Oct 29th to Nov 5, 2012. We were two couples traveling together looking for a relaxing time. The resort was just right in size (for us). If you're looking for a huge party resort, this is not the place.

Our rooms were in Emerald Lanai, and we think we had the best location in the resort! It was so nice to not have to walk through the lobby and get on the elevator every time we wanted to go to the room. The piano bar and the quiet pool/ hot tub were steps away, as was the beach. Our rooms were quiet, comfortable and clean. The only negative was the size of the bath/toilet area, very small, so small that you couldn't open the door fully, because of the bathtub. Although that area needed remodeling, it was OK.

Hurricane Sandy had passed through a week earlier, and most of the damage had been dealt with. The grounds and gardens were clean and inviting, so were the pools and the hot tubs. The beach is groomed daily, and after a rainstorm one day, they actually came out in the afternoon and cleaned the beach again, because of debris floating in the area. Food is good! (a pleasant surprise after other Caribbean vacations) Staff were super friendly, smiling, happy to help, always. Service was excellent. We saw a steel drum band one night who were terrific! Standing ovations! Jason (aka The Mayor) and his crew did a fine job, always seeming to be there, always upbeat and entertaining, remembering names and/or bestowing nicknames.... :D

We would return to the Jewel Dunn's River...and we would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Elizabeth

Thank you for your review and delighted that you had a great time and that we met your expectations. Thanls again and hope to see you soon.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Arrived 15 Oct 12 (10 days) became 11 due to Hurricane Sandy I was with a large group of friends (FT). The reseort and hotel came highly reccommended by friends who were revisiting for the second year running. I have to say I was not disappointed the staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and they coped really well during the storms. The rooms were lovely very comfortable especially the bed, 4 poster lovely, the rooms were really spacious. I had to be moved on the last evening due to storm damage, water on the floor and coming through the ceiling un be known I was aked if I wouldnt mind re locating to the diamond wing. What a treat the room was fantastic even better than the other of course I didnt want to leave the room so on the last night 11 I decided to spend it in the room as it is was so nice........ I would definately revisit and would highly recommend. The food was plentiful plenty of choice in the buffet restaurant. I met some lovely people. Did the Dunns River waterfall trip its a must, it was fantastic take a water camera and water shoes. The vendors at the end were a pain trying to get you to buy shells picture's and general tatt, oh and watch out for the drug pushers on the beach when your on your way back to the Katermaran, say no and keep walking. The Bob Marley trip, it really is what it is, not for the faint hearted ;-) ......
Enjoy you will not be disappointed.
Thanks to all the staff who looked after us (Friendship Travel)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for review and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that you had a grand time, even thou the passage of Hurricane Sandy disturbed your vacation. I am happy that you enjoyed all that we had to offer, from teh food, service and staff. Again, we thank you and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Osceola, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We just returned from our stay at the Jewel. Overall it was a good vacation. We were a little disappointed in rooms, they were dated and small, especially the bathroom. The Jade restaurant was amazing we made reservations twice, both chefs were very entertaining and the food was great! Definitely make a point to eat there at least once. We also enjoyed the Moonstone Italian restaurant. The rest of the food was okay but there were not enough choices and eating the same food got old. The staff was wonderful, we enjoyed many activities with the Mayor, Floyd and Happy Feet they were always promoting fun even during the rain, which it did several days during our trip. The pool bar's very large with a lot of seating around it which was great the downfall was that there were only one or two bartenders working at a time. During the rain we liked to sit in the hot tub; which was not really that hot. When we mentioned that it needed turned up we were told that when the sun is out it gets hotter....really, no kidding. The whole reason we were in the hot tub was because it was raining and the sun wasn't out. A couple of other complaints were the Bees...tons of bees. My husband was stung three times, apparently it had something to do with the hurricane but it was a huge nuisance and I was always worried about getting stung. I also came home with over 20 bites from something on my legs, I am not exactly sure what exactly bit me, but it looks hideous. The pigeons were also ridiculous during lunch. We really made the most of our vacation and we did have fun but we have traveled to many all-inclusive resort and were somewhat disappointed but the price was extremely reasonable and over all a good time. If you do trave to this resort, definatly visit the Spa! I was amazing. I did the hot stone massage and I can't tell you enought how wonderful it was.

Room Tip: Rooms were small and outdated.
Dear Christine

Thank you for staying with us and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that, despite the few disappointments you mentioned you still had a fun vacation. We thank you for sharing them with us. I fully understand the situation with the hot tub not being hot when it rains, because of the rain the temperture will drop. With regards to being told that the sun will make the hot tub hotter, I apologise if it came across in a negative manner, but the hot tub is set a temperture of 103 degrees, and the sun will help in cobtributing to make it hotter. The bees situation is not only here at The Jewel, it is all over the parish and at the hotels, due to the recent passage of Hurricane Sandy, it disturbed there habitat , so the bees are trying to find new habitat. We currently do have them under control, so I fully umderstand how annoying it was and for that I etend my apologies.

Thanks again for your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had another amazing vacation this year at the resort. Per promised we got the jerk chicken at the grill on request and the hot tub was indeed hot. We've been asked by neighbors, family and friends continually why we continue to visit this location despite so many other options. This is our reason: the staff here are amazing and always interactive, food is great with cheffs that take the time, facilities provide just what we need on a getaway vacation (adult company, tranquil spaces, fun filled entertainment and atmosphere). During this visit my wife got sick. Daine Golaube a mgr at the resort took the time to personally check in on her repeatedly to ensure she was comfortable. He had a spot set up for her on the beach and insisted she was personally assisted by one of the staff for whatever is needed. This was our 18th year anniversary so this action has made a memorable impact on our love for this location and the people that make it what it is. These include ( Robert, Jason, Floyd, Marlon, Mickhuhg and Daine among many others ) The end result is; we have been most everywhere alone and with our kids but this location has done what most have not in a single locaion. It provides the comfort, environment, and settings that have repeatedly not let us down and has earned our trust, respect and confidence in having the things we need on a vacation. We see no need to gamble during this period and so stay committed to spending our anniversaries among people we now consider friends within a setting that remains enjoyful and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and it was our pleasure to have hosted you, not as a guest but now as family. We thank you for your commitment and delighted that the staff made your 18 years anniversary a memorable one. Thanks again and see you next year same time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
#4 of 40 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 stars 2,890 reviews
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!