“No complaints” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Buffalo, New York
“No complaints”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Food was good for an all-inclusive. Service was good. Hotel was nice. Not exceptional, but not dirty or run down. Although I did get stuck in a dark elevator for 40-60 seconds (this also happened to me in Puerto Rico, so maybe it's a Caribbean thing). Plenty to keep you busy right on the resort grounds, sailing was great. Resort does border a little shanty area where guys cling to the fence trying to get you to rent jet skis. But security keeps them away and the beach is big enough to avoid them. Had a room facing the ocean and a couple of nights there were bands that kept us up, but we were in bed early. All in all a good stay. Would return.

• Stayed February 2012
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and want to extend my apologies to you getting stuck in elevator, but despite that you still had a great time and see where you will return. Thanks again and see you soon.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,423)
Sanford, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I arrived hours before my check in time,but I was offered a cold drink and face towel,lunch and eventually my room and great times 24/7.The quality of the food,drinks,entertainment,staff,etc... is awesome! The gems are great! I miss Kat and Floyd the most,they kept a smile on my face,whenever I spent time with them! "The Mayor" will keep you laughing too.I will return to paradise! Carol Bourke,the general manager is great to deal with!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and delighted that you had a great time, and that the staff made your staff a memorable one. I am happy that you were able to meet our General Manager, and can't wait to host you again soon.

Daine Goalube
Champaign, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

"You can do everything or you can do nothing." this was one of the phrases often said by the entertainment staff. It is the absolute truth. There is always a full schedule of events. However, I prefered to just hang out on the beach, enjoy the spa, and sample all of the restaurants on the resort. The entire resort property was always kept extremely clean. Be sure to pack a set of 'nice' clothes (something other then sundress and flips flops) because some of the restaurants have a dress code and they are definitely something you don't want to miss out on. Did I mention how amazing all the food was?!
The staff was incredibly hospitable as well! I cannot say enough good about this vacation. I recommend this resort to all friends and family thinking about traveling to the islands!

Room Tip: The sapphire rooms have a great view. I would avoid the rooms surrounding the pool area because this...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and delighted that you enjoyed your time. It is true you can do everything or nothing at all, but at any rate you will have a great time. I am happy that you found our resort and food to your expectation and it was truly our pleasure to have hosted you. Looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Transfer ok but about 90 minutes long, first impressions Hotel looked good.
Our Room (3108) was old and tired.
Management did not respond to a request for a plug for the bath and sink for a week had to improvise for the whole time. (2wks).
Food repetitive and boring, some staff very rude and if you don’t tip get ruder with nasty comments.
Some of the staff expect a tip but we do not tip until the end of our holiday.
Entertainment was good but we were labeled and called boring as we didn’t wish to join activities of the entertainment crew, but I was on HOLIDAY ! Free Internet but 2 of the 3 computers were out of service.
Steel band and 2 of the singers were very good and talented; these were brought in for some of the entertainment nights.
Al La Carte restaurants had a very good service with nice friendly staff but the food in all of them was repetitive. If you are going for 2 weeks the food becomes very boring.
Some of the Male staff managed to stare a lot, I was there with my Mother of 70, and I am a married woman of 49. This becomes annoying as they even ask you to go clubbing etc, despite after telling then I was Married ! One even suggested that “What happens in Jamaica stays in Jamaica”.
I mentioned at booking that this would be my Birthday and didn’t even get a cake!
We requested Twin beds but got a King size, tried to move us but this was a smaller room. So went back to the original one. Although advertised as Flat screen TV’s we did not have one in our room. Plus the room ‘optics’ were empty.
I must add that it is not all the staff who were rude or over friendly there are some wonderful staff at this Hotel too.
I would not recommend this resort, because of the above, plus there at this resort were mostly Canadians and some Americans who were very loud.

Dunn’s river falls very nice be prepared for some climbing.

This Hotel was listed as a 5* but it is nearer a 3* rating at best.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and extend my apologies on behalf of management for the manner in which the staff made you feel. Although not intentional, such behaviour is not acceptable and will be investigated and dealt with accordingly. Again my apologies.

I also extend my apologies, for us not recognizing your birthday, and am sorry. I also extend my apologies of your request for 2 beds not initially met.

My sincere apologies again.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I went down with a group of ten of us in early sept. We absolutely loved this place and will consider this a place to visit again! I say this because I am not one to travel to the same place twice. This is my 6th or 7th all inclusive(Mexico, Jamaica and Dominican Republic) and by far my favorite. We found the staff to be incredible. Within the first few hours of our group of ten getting there, we had the pleasure in meeting the self proclaimed "mayor"....Jason. He immediately made us feel very welcomed. He also had all of our names memorized. So, throughout the week, anytime he would see us, he would greet us by our names. Keep in mind, he also did that for just about everyone else that was staying at the resort. Not only Jason, but several of the staff took the time to remember us by our names. Very impressive! We found everyone on the staff to be extremely friendly.
As far as the food....no complaints. Everything was great. The breakfast buffet had both local foods and traditional American foods. For lunch we usually ate at the outdoor grill(loved the jerk chicken wrap and the jerk pork sandwich) or we would eat at the outdoor pizza place(surprisingly very tasty pizza). We only did the lunch buffet once. Dinner, we went to the specialty dinner places(Japanese, steak, and Italian). All three were very good.
We loved the two pools because it gave us options on which one we wanted to hang out in. Both pools have swim up bars but the one is more roudy and the other is more laid back atmosphere. Beer drinkers....if you are familiar with a summer shandy from lienenkugal, then have them make you an iceberg....it's a refreshing twist to red stripe. If you like chocolate cherry tasting milk shakes with booze.... find the bartender that makes the admiral reef.....very tasty! He is also the one that likes to do shots on the 30.....so watch out! So, depending on how we were feeling, we would be at one or the other. The beach was also very nice....although pretty small. No long walks!
Activities....we did a booze cruise/snorkel/dunns river hike trip which was very fun. We did a zip line tour that we enjoyed. We also did a snorkel trip from the resort for 25 dollars and I highly recommend it. You hop on the boat right at the resort and go out 5-10 min from resort and snorkel for about an hour. All of these trips we booked once we were down there.
Several people in our group enjoyed a massage at the spa and said their experience was great. Very relaxing.
We also enjoyed several of the activities in the evening that the staff would put on for us. We had a beach bonfire, dinner on the pier, dance/drum show etc. All were very entertaining.
So, all in all, we loved this place. Clean rooms, wonderful and friendly staff, great food and lots of fun activities day and night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and delighted that you enjoyed our facility and all that we had to offer. I am also happy that the staff made you felt welcome from the time you arrive, during and even on your departure. The restaurant, am also happy that you found our cuisines appealing and to the fact that we offer a wide variety to our guest. Thnaks again and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had the great pleasure of staying at The Jewel, while attending a conference in Ocho Rios. Let me start by saying that from the moment we exited our car, we were treated like royalty. They had cold towels and a welcome drink ready as soon as we stepped into the lobby. Check-In was easy and we had our keys within 10 minutes.

Upon entering my room, I immediately felt right at home. The Sapphire rooms are very well appointed. The rooms are clean and comfortable to say the least. The bathroom is updated as well which is a nice touch. All of the meals that I experienced at the resort were great. My first night, I ate at the Italian restaurant which was fantastic. Overall, the food at the resort was great. Definitely try the Jerk Chicken Wrap & the Brick Over Pizza.

The folks at Jewel have a great thing going and I look forward to returning for another trip. Thanks for your hospitality and the memories!

Room Tip: Get a Oceanview Room on a High Floor - The Best!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear James

We thank you for review and delighted that our product was to your expectation and that you felt as if you were at home. I am happy that you enjoyed our restaurants and that you can't wait to return. Looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had an awesome time at the Jewel. I don't know how anyone could complain about this place. I managed to gain 5lbs in one week. You will have a lot of great food and lots to drink. Even if you don't drink alcohol the staff can make a great virgin frozen drink (got one on accident lol) The beach itself is kinda small like others have said, but it was plenty big for us. The water is the most beautiful shades of blue and the sand is white. we kayaked one day and had Vidal took us out on the sail boat.

The Jewel had as much or as little entertainment as you want. Jason aka the "Mayor" seemed to be the lead MC (although Floyd and Cat were always close by) while we were there and he did a good job of getting people involved who otherwise would not have. Even the life guards were good at getting a volley ball game going. Try to be on their team. The resort has a larger show at night. The steel drum band was one of my favorites.

The room was great, we were in the main building facing the pools. I had expected to be facing the mountain side so I was pleasantly surprised by this. We did not notice noise. The resort (the rio) next door was massive and I'm glad we were not in that one. The resort was not full. In fact, it was quite empty. the only thing this effected was the night club. not much going on there but I can imagine with more people it would be used more. I think you will be surprised how much the sun and drinking can take out of you. I was actually impressed that with only 1/2 the rooms full (I'm estimating this) they still had a full entertainment lineup.

Kevin was our waiter several nights at the Italian place. He was great. The only thing we found a little annoying was the spa girls going around making sure people knew about the spa. It seems like if they were that slow they should discount the prices and then people, including me, would have used it more. In the age of groupon who going to pay over 100$ I wasn't.

we did the catamaran dunn river falls excursion. it was lots of fun, not really for kids but fun. The falls are awesome. also did the mystic mountain trip. it was kinda expensive but beautiful view and my husband had a lot of fun on the bob sled coaster

We were on our honeymoon, are 28 and 31. the resort had a great mix of people from all ages. not sure if i would want to be around on spring break though! Also I had been worried about the weather, it was great

Last thought; life on the resort is very different than life outside the gates, that is clear. make sure you tip the people. they are great whether or not you do but they deserve it. We took 300 in low bills and tipped a lot and still had some left over.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

We thank you for your review and delighted that you enjoyed our resort, in all that we had to offer. I am happy that you were able to venture off the resort and experince some of our attractions. The staff that were mentioned will be recognized and this will be shared with them, to continue encourage them to be their best.

Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

Guest Service Manager

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!