This was our first trip to Jamaica, and the Jewel has certainly set the bar high. We arrived late in the evening on April 2, after a long day travelling (flight plus the 1.5 hour bus ride between Sangster Int'l and the Jewel) and were greeted with a welcome cocktail and quick check in service.
We were then escorted to our room, which was a ground floor room in the west side of the Emerald Lanai section. The room was clean, furnishings tasteful, and included a well appointed bathroom complete with jacuzzi tub. From the french doors leading to the patio, we had a nice view of some of the gardens/main courtyard of the resort, and a distant view of the ocean. This was not the type of room we had requested, however we were both pleasantly surprised with its location/view/convenience to everything.
The restaurants offer some of the best food we have ever tasted, whether it was at the buffet or any of the 3 a la cartes. Our favorite was Moonstone, the Italian option, which offers guests the option to dine on the boardwalk overlooking the ocean. The dress codes were fairly casual, with sleeves and collars needed only for supper.
There were also plenty of bars to choose from throughout the day, with a couple options open until the early hours of the morning. The Tree Bar is truly a sight to be had, and the regular bar tenders there are quite entertaining.
Every day we spent on the beach, never having to get up particularly early to reserve our spot or being left without one had we slept in. Lots of loungers for everyone, both by the pools and on the beach. The pools looked clean, and weren't remotely full any given day. One side note to anyone looking for miles of beach to walk, you won't find it at this particular resort. There is a pier on one end and a fence on the other side of the resort grounds that limit the amount of walking one can do. Between these is the private beach and roped off swimming area.
Daily activities were plentiful, and included everything from yoga to dance lessons to an Easter egg hunt. Every evening had a major event of some sort, with the Dive in Movie and Beach Party standing out.
For those looking to purchase rum or coffee to bring home, my suggestion is to save it until you get to the Duty Free at the airport when leaving...unless you take the Appleton Estates or Blue Mountain excursions. Resort Gift Shop offers both, but at a significantly marked up price.
If you are looking for a small scale, adults only resort to relax/unwind and enjoy the Jamaican experience the Jewel deserves serious consideration. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there (hated leaving after the week was done), the friendly staff, and the beautiful surroundings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Introducing The Jewel Dunn’s River, a new Jamaican beach resort located mere moments from one of Jamaica’s top attractions – spectacular Dunn’s River Falls. The Caribbean’s most romantic, adults-only Jamaican resort is the perfect spot for couples, honeymooners and idyllic weddings. Plus, our all-inclusive resort features the unique ‘Jewel Only’ exclusives you can only discover here. Imagine watching a movie from the comfort of a pool raft and dining by candlelight on a pristine beach – that’s just the beginning. Now visualize your first breath in the morning being filled with fresh ocean air from your room’s private balcony. Picture yourself sipping handmade rum punch served by a pool concierge. Anything is possible at The Jewel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Otel, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Hotel Ocho Rios
- The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Resort And Spa
- The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa Jamaica/Ocho Rios