“Wonderful place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
New York City, New York
“Wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We just returned from a week at the Jewel and we had an amazing time. My fiance and I were there with my cousins and everyone loved the Jewel. I emailed Scott before leaving to see if my cousins could get a room with 2 beds and they made it happen. Their room was in the emerald lanai building and it was very clean but the bathroom is small. Upon checking in, my fiance and I were surprised with an upgrade to a diamond suite room. This room is amazing!!! I never wanted to leave it, the room has 2 balconies, 2 bathrooms and a beautiful 4 poster bed. The grounds of the hotel are clean and well kept. The pools are large but their one drawback is they are freezing! I am a pool person and if they could find a way to heat the pool it would be great. The number one asset this hotel has is it's staff. Everyone there is friendly and always smiling. I want to say thank you to Sasha, Shauna, McHugh, Jason, Floyd and Mini me for a great time. We spent alot of time laughing with them. Also thanks to Chadwick and Marlon for all those drinks, and Marc and Shana at the grill. The employees go out of their way to make sure you are having a great time. I have been to several different places in the Carribean and this is definately not always the case. One example of this is that one night after playing beach volley ball my cousin left her shoes on the beach. In the morning when she realized, she didn't bother going to look for them because she figured they wouldn't be there anymore. When we got to the pool one of the employees she had played with the night before handed her the shoes. He saved them for her, it was so thoughtful because otherwise they probably would have been thrown away. He certainly went out of his way. Another example is several times at the grill we would ask for something that wasn't on the menu and Shana would make it happen. The staff is amazing.
There is always something to do at the Jewel, I loved the dinner and show on the beach. The one area I would think they could improve upon is the food. The buffet needs alot more choices. I have been to other resorts of similar size and their buffet's would be 3 times the size of the Jewel. Also room service in every room should be available.
Overall hands down this is one of the best resorts I have ever been to. I look forward to returning again. Thank you so much for a wonderful trip.

Room Tip: Try to get a diamond suite, if you can.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
rasbrat, Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank for taking your vacation with us as well as all of your feedback. We look forward to your return.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,311)
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I, along with two other couples just got back from spending 8 days, 7 nights at the Jewel - and I don't think we could have asked for more beautiful weather, more gracious, friendly and helpful staff, or nicer accommodations.
So - starting from the beginning. The ride from Montego Bay airport to the Jewel is about an hour and forty five minute drive - we were very happy to arrive, since it was quite a long day of traveling! It was a seated check-in process which went smoothly. We got our "Gem of the Day" which was also a welcomed treat after traveling.
Our bags were delivered to our room - somehow my boyfriend and I got lucky and received the nicest room out of the three couples. We had ocean view, and it only could have been better if we were up a little bit higher - but I am not complaining! All of the rooms were clean and well maintained. My only gripe would be that the shower was teeny-tiny! I think my boyfriend's only gripe was that his pillow wasn't great, but I slept perfectly fine. The cleaning staff took wonderful care of us, and we would come back to our room to find our clothes neatly folded, and it looking as though we had never even been there - it was wonderful!
That first night we ate at the Italian restaurant - and the antipasti bar is delish! We had to wait a bit to be seated, but we came down right during the dinner rush. While we were waiting we met two great bar tenders Ephriam and Cornell. Throughout the week they remembered our names, made us laugh and helped to make our time at the Jewel even more memorable!
It was very comfortable sitting out on the deck and the food overall was really good. The nice thing about the Italian place was that it changed its menu during the week - good to switch it up!
The next day was our first full day at the resort, and we had a nice breakfast at the Coral Cafe. The fresh omelet bar was my favorite! This was also a good place to go for lunch because it was quick, had a ton of options and were easily able to accommodate our group of 6. We also tried the pizza place for lunch which serves AMAZING personal pizzas, it just takes FOREVER to order. There is only one waitress working, and it gets busy - so needless to say we never went there if we were at all hungry!
When we werent eating - which we ate a lot - we were on the beach or by one of the pools. The far pool with the pool bar and pool table was the one we went to the most - it was a bit more laid back and got really great afternoon sun. We were at the beach most of the time though because of the nice breeze and we were able to hop right into the ocean which was warmer than the pool water. The beach was indeed small, but there was never any issue finding a group of six chairs, getting enough towels, or feeling crowded. Almost everyday we took out a kayak or hobiekat sailboat - which they will instruct you to use if you don't know how. All of the guys there at the water sports center were incredibly helpful, especially the one gentleman who wore the Michigan State t-shirt a lot - unfortunately, I can't remember his name. He gave us a whole background as to Jamaica's history, the language and how it came to be, the landscape - everything! He answered all of our questions and was always helpful with the boats.
One of the couples in our group participated in the private beach dinner one night, so my boyfriend and I and the other couple went to the Jade Samurai for dinner and we got Bubba - WHAT A RIOT! The food was delicious and Bubba kept us laughing the entire time!
We also ate at the Platinum - one morning for breakfast and twice for dinner. We actually were able to eat dinner at every restaurant twice which was fun! Platinum is the Jamaican fusion restaurant, and boy was it delicious! The last night we were there we had surf and turf and that lobster tail could not have been more succulent! The staff was very accommodating, and as I already mentioned, the food was amazing!
The bars were also fun, as was the night club. It was funny though, around 10:30 p.m. everyone must have gone to bed! I mean every day was jam packed with stuff to do, so it is kind of understandable, but it should be noted that our group was all in our twenties, and the majority of people there were middle aged, so if you are looking to party all night long, you just have to be prepared to make your own fun! All of the bars stay open until 2, and the Gems really put in a HUGE effort to make things exciting. I wish I had half the performing talent one of them has - AMAZING. Each gem can dance and sing and act as an amazing MC to any event. It was nice too because they were not pushy, you could choose to participate or not in any of the games, contests, mid-day madness, events, etc.
The spa was also really relaxing and enjoyable - I got a fabulous massage! Which helped to make an already relaxing trip even more relaxing.
I would recommend the Jewel in a heart beat - to people our group's age or to my parents and their friends (which I already have!) and to coworkers - a variety of ages and interests. The food, drink, accommodations and resort overall were amazing.
I can not stop singing the praises of the staff - from Bubba at the hibachi to Cornell at the bar to Bobby C who shimmied up a coconut tree so that each of us could try some coconut milk! We had an amazing time, and sincerely hope to come back someday!
Thank you for such a wonderful and memorable vacation.
I think one of the things for me to remember as we look into vacations for next year will be to look at locally owned and run resorts, such as the Jewel that are on this smaller scale. It was just such a nice and intimate setting - couldn't have asked for more!

Dear guest,
Thank you and your friends for staying with us. It was great that you recognized some of our staff that made your stay more special. We look forward to seeing you and your family and friends return.
Mena, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

This was our sixth visit to Jamaica and it just keeps getting better with each trip. We are an older couple, in our 60's, who like warm weather & friendly people. We found both at the Jewel. Arriving late (11:30 P.M.) due to flight delays, we were met at the hotel with a cool towel and a warm smile. Check in was flawless.
We stayed in the Diamond building and had a very nice ocean view room. We found it to be well appointed and very comfortable. The hotel grounds are beautiful and well kept. The restaurants were very clean and the food good. The real jewel here is the staff, best I have seen anywhere. Jason,Sasha and the rest of the staff do a wonderful job keeping the guests entertained. During our stay we visited Nine Mile, The Martha Brae River and Shaw Park. We chose to use Know Jamaica Tours. After six trips to Jamaica, I can honestly say they are the very best tour company on the island. If your looking for the best check out their reviews on Trip Advisor and believe what you read.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view, it's beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your reveiw and mentioning our staff. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I traveled to Jamaica for business, and overall I was extremely disappointed in the Jewel Dunn's Resort. The customer service was TERRIBLE... at the restaurants, at the bars, and everywhere in between. The servers and bartenders were rude with exception of a select few individuals. The beach is filled with people selling marijuana at night. The group I was with spent a hour or so walking the beach and hanging out at night (since we worked during the day), and we were approached by no less than five people offering to sell us drugs.

Additionally, the gym area is outdoors and trying to squeeze in a workout in the morning is difficult as the area is dark and not well lit. At one point, while running on the treadmill, my co-worker was approached by a stranger (who did not appear to be staying at the resort) and he pretended to run beside her. On top of this, the equipment is outdated, dirty, and rusty due to the outdoor elements and lack of maintenance.

When we approached management regarding the security and level of service, we were forced to wait 30 minutes or more only to be accused of lying about our complaints. The Jewel Dunn's Resort obviously does not care about your experience once they have your money, as this is evidenced by their complete disregard for customer satisfaction.

The room was OK, roomy, and clean, but this does not make up for the overall experience in other areas. I will NEVER stay here again, and I would recommend that you consider another resort on the island instead if you want to enjoy your trip whether it be for business or pleasure.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Once again let me thank you and your local business group for booking the Jewel for a week. Let me also reiterate that I am sorry that due to your group business meeting ending two days earlier we could not refund the two nights as explained we were sold out and turned away business becuase of it.
I am quite curious as to why after we made several attempts to get the full story in person or by phone the response has not been forthcoming as well as you told us you would have come back to our office after dinner to tell us in person your account of the situation and you never turned up.
As we mentioned to one of the group we reveiwed all cameras on the beach and by the Gym and saw no signs of what you had described as well as the written accounts from all of our security officers that are stationed in those areas.
Yes there are persons that walk across on the beach but are escorted by our team as stated previously on this site.
Thanks again and we do hope that you return as we have done quite a lot of business with your company in the past and not had any issues.
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Just returned from our stay at Jewel and had a great time. Be prepared for a 90 minute bus ride but once you arrive its worth it. Check-in is painless, the rooms were clean and modern. The bed was comfortable The grounds are lovely- well kept and very clean- the staff couldn't be more pleasent. Cornell, Cassandra, Sasha and especially Sanya were awesome. The pool is more than adequate- with a swim up bar- plenty of lounges and unlimited towels. The layout is convienent to all buildings. There are two snack bars, pizza, burgers, jerk chicken, wraps, that are open most the day and night. Breakfast buffet was very good. Lunch buffet was decent at best. Restaurants were ok -not great. Room bar was fully stocked and all included- Need reservation for Japenese restaurant- Beach is small and a little crowded-
if you like long walks on the beach- this isn't the place- we never realized until coming back and reading the reviews that there were boat rides available as part of the all inclusive-
The bees weren't an issue for us- the cats were a small issue- there isn't much nightly entertainment which suited us fine but younger folks may want more night life. DONT MISS the steel drum show it is awesome- We did the river rock climb which was great.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Dear Guest ,
Thank you for staying with us at the Jewel. We ourselves call us 4. star and we always keep striving for better. Everything you said pertaining to the drive time, size of beach, one restaurant needing to make reservations, etc is what we tell everyone so it shocks us when people are surprised by this. Our biggest compliment is our food and also one of the biggest complaints. We get the same in our staff cafeteria that should prove the fact that everyone has different tastes. We do hope that you found something that you liked to eat. If not you could have come to us and asked and I would have had the chef meet with you and make you someithng special.
Thank you for your feedback and hope to see you again.
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Room is great, staff friendly and polite.

Sat on beach for first two days, quiet spot, clean restroom, drinks available.

Needed coffee this am and Cassandra brought me coffee with milk, perfect. She was eager to assist and did all with a smile!

Ate at two restaurants, the pizza hut and the sandwich shop - good food, very good service!
This is a place to relax.

My husband used the gym and found it to be very well equipped. He also played chip and putt and liked that as well.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. Just ask if you need anything.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Jewel Ocho Rios was a great selection for my wife, friends and I. We found that the hotel had excellent service and was very clean. The staff kept the grounds up and the rooms, hallways and restaurants were very clean as well. The only bees I saw were around the sweet bar areas and soft drink machines which I think its difficult for them to manage.

As a business person on vacation, I appreciate excellent service and I really found it at the Jewel. I felt like the staff really wanted to make sure we were having fun. They tried to get people involved and checked in to make sure that everything was okay. The Jewel has LOT of events planned for those who like activities. Such activities include: crafts, nature walks, yoga, kayaking, sailboat rides, pool games, beach games, dancing, entertainment, karaoke, etc.

Most important for me was the quality of the food. I felt that we had an excellent selection of quick service and seated restaurants. The food quality was better than expected and the staff wanted to make sure you were satisfied. Honestly, the only thing missing for me would be a "Candy Bar" (which would be pretty cool).

Lastly, I was impressed with the friendly staff. We got to know some of the great team that works hard to make sure you have a relaxing visit.

The only Con for us was the fire alarm. It unfortunately went off 3 times during our staff, but not a deal breaker.

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us. Let me also thank you for you feedback and kind words for our staff. Your one con is a con for us too. Unfortunately during your stay we had guests in house that were smoking something that they should not have been setting off the fire alarm three nights in a row. On the last nigt as we were getting close to find the culprits they had left the contents of the items in a bag in the stairwell. We wee able to discuss this with the guests as they also left a giftshop reciept in the bag as well thus us being able to stop the alarm from going of anymore.
Thanks again for your review and we do hope to see you return.
Hotel Manager

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!