“Cruise on Land” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
New Port Richey, Florida
“Cruise on Land”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

The resort is nice however it reminded us of being on a Cruise on Land - it had all the same amenities of a cruise except that it was on land. Although it wasn't the type of trip we were looking for, that is not the fault of the resort itself. It did seem as if this resort caters more to a younger couple who enjoy Aquasize in the pool, Midday Madness games poolside, and group dining experiences. For those wanting an intimate and relaxing environment, this may not be the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor if you want a view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
JOHN M, Hotel Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2014

The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River Beach Resort & Spa wish to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback. Please be assured that we have now corrected the problem and have perused every detail and take your comments seriously and will use your feedback to work on perfecting our service delivery.

We thank you for your feedback and look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort

John M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,309)
Colchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed at the Jewel Dunn's River Resort for 6 nights. As a General Manager in the hotel industry, I read every review prior to booking my reservation and arriving at the resort. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with how truly wonderful the staff and resort are. The first impression of how wonderful the Jewel is begins at check-in. After having driven an hour and a half and seen 5 or 6 other resorts, I can say that not one other person was greeted by a smiling face (Harlan) and a Gem of the Day. Truly a good first impression.

The room was beautiful. Overlooking the ocean as well as the pool. Truly a stunning view from the 4th floor Saphire Building. Our room was clean and very comfortable to stay in. I do have to say that the daily housekeeping lacked in several areas as we did not receive service until very late in the day and often found that our towels had not been replaced and our frig was not restocked. This was a little disappointing, but being in the business I can understand the issues experienced with housekeeping staff.

The food was phenomenal. My only wish is that the menu would have been changed at least once during our stay. It would be great if you had a menu that was presented everyday of every week - for instance a menu for Mondays, Tuesdays, etc. I know that if I had stayed any longer than I did the menu would have gotten to be a little to repetious for me.

Regarding service - the staff were all very polite and professional. I have to say that Conrad was a blast and my husband and I followed him to whatever bar he was working at. The nightlife and entertainment was very disappointing. I had hoped that there would be nights filled with dancing and singing and staying up to all hours, but instead found that my husband and I and maybe a handfull of other guests would sit around the bar chatting with Conrad and each other and all would retire prior to midnight. The nightclub was empty every night. I read a lot of reviews raving about Chadwick and although I saw him chatting and serving other guests, he repeatedly walked by my husband and I whether we were by the pool or on the beach. Other beach staff were excellent and very courteous each time they went by us.

The beach was perfect. A great swimming area. A wonderful catamaran ride with Johnny and plenty of chairs and shade. I loved it. I was surprised by a local snorkeler who asked if I wanted to buy weed while I was swimming in the ocean, but it is par for the course in Jamaica and not limited to this resort.

Scott - although I did not meet you in person, I can say that I am very impressed with the Jewel. Every resort and hotel has areas that need improvement and I know that you read these reviews and work diligently at the areas identified by your valued guests. I certainly hope to meet you the next time I am in Jamaica.

Room Tip: Reserve your room directly with the hotel or on their website.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
rasbrat, Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. We are looking into several of your suggestions. I am sorry I did not get to meet you as well, I walk the property several times a day however at times it is almost impossible to meet every guest. With that said Chadwick as well is quite busy through out the day and please do not take it personally that he did not stop and chat. I too look forward to meeting you on your next vist.
Thanks again
Scott Robbins
Hotel Manager
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Upon getting to the airport at Montego Bay, we found that we'd misplaced our confirmation for the bus ride to the resort. Though the woman at the desk was in her first day at that job, we got it figured out and got on the bus in time. The driver described to us the sights as we took the 65 mile/90 minute trip, but his mouth must have been too close to the microphone because we couldn't understand anything he said. Also, he stopped after 20 minutes at a roadside bar...I assume he had some kind of deal with the owner, because apparently other folks' buses didn't make stops.

Upon getting to the resort, we were offered cold towels, fresh drinks, and a place to sit while our check-ins were processed. Though we had reserved a room in the Diamond building ("Diamond Premier Guest Room" with "limited views"), we were given a room in the Sapphire building, presumably an upgrade but it wasn't mentioned. The room had a decent view of the water (but with a lot of roof view as well--the roof of the nightclub and such), so we didn't bring it up.

The windows in the room were small and up high, so you really had to go out on the balcony to appreciate the view. Even on the fourth floor, there was a good breeze coming up off the beach; even in the humidity, our swimsuits could dry by hanging on the towel rack outside overnight. The sink was separate from the shower/tub (the trade-off from our original room choice, which was supposed to have a whirlpool tub) and toilet, which was good, but the water pressure in the bathroom was so low that the toilet could only be flushed once every 30 minutes. The bed was comfortable, though we only had the four pillows that were on it; there were no extras in the closet. (I suppose I could have asked the front desk for more.)

The food was, for the most part, excellent. The pizza was good, though there was a limited choice of toppings. I had a burger at Aquamarina which was so-so but not bad. The breakfast buffet at Coral Cafe was good--be sure to get a blueberry muffin, they're perfect! Avoid breakfast at Platinum: it's the exact same food as the cafe, but with a short menu. (They told us that as we came in, but we didn't want to be rude and leave at that point.)

Dinner at Platinum, though, was fantastic. I had a jerk chicken spring roll appetizer, pumpkin soup (awesome!), salad (you won't miss much if you skip it), the catch of the day (snapper served with mashed potatoes and veggies--this was fantastic!), and a scotch bonnet chocolate mousse for dessert (spicy, but not out of control). Brad had the surf & turf and breadfruit soup, both of which were also quite good. I'm young and always feel a bit out of place at formal restaurants, but I thought it was very nice to get dressed up, eat a five-course meal of excellent quality, and then not have to worry about the bill. :)

We also ate at the Jade Samurai one evening, where the focus is more on the fun & entertainment than it is on the food. The chefs all have funny psuedonyms--Tigger, Wesley Snipes, and Blackie Chan, to name a few. We had Tigger, and he relied more on his humor than on his hibachi hijinks...he appeared to just about slice himself while throwing the knife around a few times, after which he didn't do much showy stuff. I will say, though, that he's the only hibachi chef I've ever had who's that good at flinging shrimp into people's mouths...everyone at the table but for one person managed to catch a shrimp! The meal was good, but heavy because of all the protein. You get a choice for soup, salad, and appetizer; then the chef comes and cooks the rice and all of the protein, and you just tell the chef if you want some as each one becomes ready.

The drinks were good, but perhaps not very strong. I ordered several Jamaica Smiles--which is strawberry daiquiri mix, pina colada mix, rum cream, and rum--and none of them were stirred before being handed to me. It's difficult to stir a frozen drink with a flimsy straw! I had to basically let it melt a bit before I could do much with it. A little stirring would go a long way.

There are events going on several nights a week. Shortly after our arrival on Tuesday was the evening beach party, where there was a snake charmer, fire dancer, bamboo dancers, and limbo beneath flaming limbo poles--they kept us entertained! When it started raining one afternoon, the staff promptly brought out some board games and a karaoke machine in the Emerald Tree Lounge. They attempted a bonfire on Thursday, but they were using damp wood and not the proper techniques. Solution? Pour a few buckets of kerosene on it...good thing there weren't any kids around! "This is how we do bonfires in Jamaica," they told us.

They have random events at the pool and will pull up anyone who's around without telling you what you're doing beforehand. Brad and I unwittingly ended up in a chugging contest--the men were chugging Red Stripe, and the ladies were chugging Coke. (The other women seemed grossed out by this, but I'm from Atlanta so I drink Coke a-plenty!)

Thursday night, we were woken up at about 3:30am by a loud party on a nearby balcony. We could even hear the voice of one of the staff--he was leading the dancing on Tuesday night and had a very distinct voice--loudly partying in someone's room! Luckily another neighbor fussed at them before I got the chance. I didn't want to go out there and cause a conflict.

Friday night was the "Manager's Cocktail Party" followed by dinner on the pier. A manager asked us how our stay had been so far, and she seemed really interested in what we had to say. We suggested that orientation should happen an hour or two after check-in time--not the next morning, by which point you've mostly figured it out on your own--but she told us no one ever showed up when it was in the evenings.

I had seen the pictures people posted of the dessert left in the room on the last night of your stay, so I was disappointed that we just got a bag of rock candy. I guess since we weren't celebrating a special occasion, we didn't get a special treat...but isn't Jamaica occasion enough?

Anyhow, we really enjoyed our stay here, especially at the price we paid for it. I tend to nitpick in reviews like this--I'm very detail-oriented, and I figure people like to know about everything--but the overall experience was excellent. I think what matters more than anything is the attitude of the staff, and everyone we encountered at the Jewel was enthusiastic and fantastic. They appeared to sincerely care about us and the quality of our experience at the Jewel and in Jamaica. We will certainly be back next year!

Room Tip: Regardless of which
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at the Jewel. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the property and will be returning. Let me address some of your concerns that you called Nitpicking. We know that we could only improve with feedback. So thank you for that.
You booked a Diamond Premier that does have a Jacuzzi tub, but with limited to no view. You were given a multiple category upgrade to a sapphire Ocean view and by passed the Mountain view. Although it did not have the Jacuzzi tub it has a larger balcony with a full view of the ocean. Please note that most views if you look down you will see things underneath your window the beauty is looking out.
I am sorry that the four pillows were not enough, had you called the operator we would have certainly sent up as many as you wanted.
We have 12 pizza's on the menu however if you had asked for something that you did not see we would have done our best to accomodate you.
You should be pleased to know that next week we will start to served a different menu for the Platinum breakfast.
The desserts that you had mentioned are sent to persons celebrating their anniversary or Honeymoon and get them if they check the box on check in. The rock candy that looks like jewels is a gift that we give to everyone on their last night.
Once again thank you for your feedback and we do look forward to seeing you when you return.
Scott Robbins
Hotel Manager
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

What a wonderful vacation, fantastic staff, great food and beautiful setting. Didn't realise at the time of booking that this was formerly Eden II where we had Honeymooned 25 years before. There is nothing negative I could say. No line ups, never felt crowded, entertainment was excellant, Patricia Edwards blew us away. Thankyou Garnet, Princess and Junior.

Room Tip: Get the Pool/Ocean view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Good day,

Due to glitches in our computer system your comments were not seen or responded to previously. The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River wish to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback.

Pleasant Grove, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Everything was great, I had a wonderful. The staff was very pleasant and attentive. Especially Ty Wong in the Jade. The food was awesome. I only wish that there were more reggae bands. I go to jamaica to hear reggae not some guy singing New York, New York, in a piano Bar. Besides that everything else was awesome.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

First off, I will clarify that I have been several all-inclusive resorts before...so I have a good idea of what service and food is like at places like this. Yes, it is not the most high end place in the world, but it is worth every penny for the price you pay!

When we arrived, we were immediately greeted and given a drink of the day and a cold towel. Check in was easy, fast, and they even upgraded our room 3 categories! The view from the Diamond building is spectacular and the rooms are exactly as pictured! The bathrooms were spacious and very clean. The only negative, for me personally, was that the beds were a little hard. BUT, take that with a grain of salt as we have a very expensive, soft bed at home. :)

The food went way beyond our expectations for an all-inclusive resort. Moonstone had the best stuffed chicken and tomato soup! The pizza was great and the service was excellent everywhere we went. The only time it wasn't was in the breakfast buffet in the open area, where a short, skinny girl gave us an attitude when we weren't seated by the hotess (who was not there when we came and no sign said to wait to be seated). She was the only rude person we encountered the entire time -- including the guests -- os that is very good for a resort like this. I will say that the drinks are a bit on the weak side, but you get that in resturaunts even in the U.S.! Room service was also very good, as they made me a special entre because of my stomach issues.

The main pool is actually quite large -- so I am not sure how some people think it is small. Most resorts have small rectangular pools. This had a massive pool with three areas, and a smaller piano bar pool. And the entertainment is non-stop. It was by far the most fun we ever had at any resort! Big shout out to Chadwick! He is a riot and so much fun.

The beach is small if you plan on walking hand-in-hand for long walks. But by all other accounts, it is spacious, clean, and absolutely perfect for any vacation. And you have to have Snoop Dog take you on the catamaran ride. He was a great guide and general all around guy!

It was the best vacation and we cannot wait to come back. For those of you interested in staying in Jamaica, stay here! Our driver told us it was one of the best on the island and it certainly was!

Tips:
-Bring some sandals to the pool because the tiles get VERY hot in the sun. Minor thing, I know, but helpful to know before you go down bearfoot.
-Try to have cash on hand if possible because the service is very good and the staff go out of their way to greet you and help. A little tip goes a long way for the locals -- just like anywhere else.
-If you are a light sleeper (like me), bring earplugs and a nightcap. It will help when you try to sleep and hear music or other guests coming back late to their rooms.
-Call Clives Transportation Service. We called them and were picked up at the curb, given a cold beer/water, and got a personal driver. It took half the time of the bus and we were able to talk to Chris and learn everything you wanted to know about Jamaica--from a local. He was spectacular and got us there in no time! Definitely worth the extra money!

Room Tip: Diamond Building

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

This was my 18th country, so I consider myself a pretty experienced traveler. My husband and I are late 20 somethings celebrating our anniversary. We booked our trip through Orbitz...we had trouble with the transfers because we were never told we needed to check in with Jamaica Tours when we arrived at the airport, someone just walked us to a bus, so we ended up having trouble with our return trip as well, but we made it there and back.

Resor/Roomt: At first I thought it appeared small, but that is not the case...there is plenty of room and lots of spaces we didn't even get to see. We had a standard room and if I stay here again I would get the standard room again, but with an ocean view. We had a whirlpool tub (can fit 1 person, but it's hot out, so I only used it once), a balcony, a stocked fridge and no liquor cabinet, but we wouldn't have used it anyways. They decorated our room 1 night with candles, champagne, chocolate treats and rose petals and it was really nice. Room had plenty of space for luggage and materials, plus a safe.

Food/Drink: I miss the food so much! The cocktail party and dinner on the pier was great! I highly recommend the brick oven pizza, calzone and dessert pizza they have. The Aquamarine cafe has great sandwiches and I highly recommend sprinkly the cajun seasoning on fried and dipping in the nacho cheese sauce. The only recommendation to the restaurants by the pool is to put out a soft serve ice cream machine...I always found myself craving ice cream after lunch. The Coral Buffet we only ate for breakfast, but it had everything you could imagine. Moonstone restaurant was very good considering how far away from Italy it is, the Hibachi restaurant was good and the Platinum was my least favorite, but my husband liked it. The drinks were fabulous and made with good quality stuff...the rum punch will punch you after 3 of them. Servers are always making sure your glass is filled.

Pool/Beach: Pool was fabulous and there was barely anyone in it at any time. Poolside entertainment was good as well. We spent most of our time in the pool or in the ocean. We never used the smaller quiet pool. Beach is short, however I did appreciate this. In the Dominican I was constantly harassed by peddlers on the beach and appreciated that the Jewel had security and fences to keep them out. There are designated craft people and a gift shop at the hotel and I never felt pressured by them and was happy I did not have to leave the resort for souvenirs. You can snorkel right at the resort and the Hobie cats are nice, but our guy didn't take us to the waterfall. I saw sting rays and fish right in the swimming areas...plenty of space on the beach to relax and water was like a bath tub!

Entertainment: By the pool was always fun, some nights the night club was packed, others empty. They did bring in entertainment each evening, but the most fun we had was the live music on the beach with roasting marshmallows. The beach entertainment only happened 1 night we were there, but I wish they had something on the beach every night...that is my recommendation.

We didn't partake in any excursions, but really everything you needed was at the resort and if you wanted to do something, you could arrange it on the spot. I will definitely be coming back in the future!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Carol B, Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Good day, due to glitches in our computer system your comments were not seen or responded to previously. The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River wish to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback. Please be assured that we have now corrected the computer glitch and thank you for your comments. We certainly appreciate that you took the time to give us you your feedback as we continue to ensure our service delivery and product exceed your expectations. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!