“High quality at a great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“High quality at a great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

My boyfriend and I went to the Jewel from Apil 19-24 during his spring break from teaching school and we loved everything about it.

The 1.45 hour ride from the airport was fine. We chatted with some people on the bus, had an awesome bus driver, and got to see a bit of the country that doesn't usually get seen in an All Inclusive.

We loved the smaller size of the Jewel. As we drove there from the airport we saw huge resorts with 10,000+ rooms and knew that was too big for us. The Jewel was more intimate and allowed us to meet people we socialized with frequently and get to know the staff really well.

As all the other reviews have said, the staff are AMAZING! BIG BIG BIG shout out to Jason and Naiyesha who always went out of their way to spend time with us and make us feel good. We also enjoyed talking with all the bartenders and Johnny on the Hobiecats.

The night life is a little quiet, but if you desire something a little wilder, you can certainly create those situations. We made friends with another couple and were in the hot tub with them until 5 every night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Carol B, Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Good day, due to glitches in our computer system your comments were not seen or responded to previously. The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River wish to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback. Please be assured that we have now corrected the computer glitch and thank you for your comments. We certainly appreciate that you took the time to give us you your feedback as we continue to ensure our service delivery and product exceed your expectations. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,309)
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We had a GREAT time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!service second to none, food amazing, resort top of the line!

Merrifield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

My fiancé and I stayed at "The Jewel" for five nights in April 2011. First off, the service was absolutely wonderful. Everyone throughout the trip was friendly, helpful, and eager to please. We had a Diamond level room, which was clean and well stocked with water and other drinks. Honestly we didn't spend too much in the room because the weather was too beautiful. Scattered showers was the forecast everyday, but the rain always stopped by 8 am and the sun never went away after that. The fitness area had plenty of weight machines but only two treadmills. But that was okay because we only saw one or two other people there the entire time. The beach was great and there were always extra chairs and shade to be found even if you didn't get there until later in the morning. We both really liked that there were two different atmospheres around the two pool/pool bars. One always had people hanging out, but the other was much quieter and not as crowded. The food was good for an all-inclusive package, as you weren't forced to eat off a grill for every meal. And best of all the bartenders weren't skimpy on the drinks. Overall we had a wonderful time, thanks Jewel!

Room Tip: Consider a cab for the ride back to the airport.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Janice J, Executive Administrative Assistant at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Good day, due to glitches in our computer system your comments were not seen or responded to previously. The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River wishes to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback. Please be assured that we have now corrected the computer glitch and thank you for your comments.

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to give us your feedback as we continue to ensure our service delivery and product and to exceed your expectations. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

Regards
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I am a picky traveler! I was so please with the resort but more importantly the friendliness of the staff. They really want to make you happy. So anything you need they will get! I would not stay anywhere else in Jamaica!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Regards
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Honestly when my good friend and I booked this trip we had no idea it was formerly a couples resort, so we were shocked to learn at the time there were only single king sized beds in the rooms. The management informed us they are in the process of changing that. However, can I just say it was the best vacation ever. Even though we were the only single people / friends there the couples that were there and the staff were very friendly and inclusive. I love there are no hidden fees, and that you aren't charged for little things you didn't know you'd be charged for. I love that transportation was included and that if you wanted to experience the city night life the hotel had transportation available to get you to and from plus admission for a very reasonable price. The hot tub is where I spent most of my time. They had two of the largest hot tubs I have ever seen (no need to worry about crowding). Two large pools with swim/walk up bars in each. One even has a pool table and a piano. There are lots of activities the entertainment staff is amazing dancing, Karaoke (an upgrade to their selection is required). There are many good bartenders but Maurice was by far the best mixologist with Garfield being my second favorite. There is so much food to try I suggest trying it all. There is complimentary golf (9 holes) but the clubs leave something to be desired. If you have questions the concierge or the front desk are happy to help you. You don't have to book excursions online before you go. You can get the same price or cheaper there. And there is no reason to exchange your money to the local currency. A few negatives, Scott one of the hotel managers has a very flippant attitude so don't expect your compliments of the staff to go noticed, he doesn't care and they deserve better treatment than that. He will take the time to talk to you but it's more like he has to versus wants to he just roams around creating an uncomfortable environment so ignore him when you go. For whatever reason there are random cats that roam the property outside. One got in the main lobby and that bothered me due to my allergies. However, because they are constantly cleaning I got over it. This is why they don't get higher stars on cleanliness for me. If you want to try water activities and you are a novice there are plenty of life guards and captains to take you out on the complimentary hobby cats. They give lessons if you are feeling like you want to do it on your own and have life jackets available for your use. I had my nails done while I was there they did a great job. I suggest staying a week.. you'll get the biggest bang for your buck and you won't be as sad when its time to go home. Trust me I met many people that only stayed 3-5 days and wish they had done 7. Good people, good times... I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view. Truly amazing.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
jeweldunns, General Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at The Jewel. We appreciate your comments and feedback. If there was anything that I did to offend you please accept my apologies as it is never my intention to make anyone feel uncomfortable whether it is my staff or my guests. I am glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope to see you at the resort again.

Regards,
Scott Robbins
Hotel Manager
Crowley, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We traveled in a group of 8 to celebrate DH's birthday. My ratings are 1-5 with 5 being excellent.

Room: (rating 5)- We were surprised to be upgraded to the Diamond Oceanview butler suite. Excellent room, appointments were very nice, dark hardwoods, 4-poster bed, living area in separate room. Refrigerator stocked daily with sodas, water, juices, and beer. Also, wine, champagne and liquor in the room.

Food/drinks: (rating 4) – Jade Samurai was our favorite, ate there twice and would have eaten there more if we had known how good it was. Tigger was an excellent chef and put on a great show! Platinum was very good. Steak and shrimp was very tasty and the pumpkin soup was superb! Moonstone (Italian) was just okay. Pizza and quesadillas were top-notch. We ate at the Coral Café each morning for breakfast and never left hungry. Some drinks were a little weak, but they don’t mind adding more alcohol, just ask. I wish they had Crown or some higher-end bourbon; that was a little disappointing. Also, the only beer served is Red Stripe and Red Stripe light.

Activities: (rating 3) – Golf is just a pitch and putt and not in good shape, but it is free. Beach and pool volleyball was enjoyed by many in our group. Pool floats were plentiful. The sailing was AWESOME! Thanks Vidal! There is a very nice fitness center, which my husband used several times. Also, the massage at the spa – excellent! It’s nice to have a tour desk on property as well. The movies shown at the pool twice a week could be improved to play more current movies. And the loud contests by the main pool were sometimes pretty annoying. The nature walk held daily at 9:30 a.m. by Leabert was very enjoyable. Don’t forget to feed the turtles either.

Entertainment: (rating 2) – Except for the entertainment on the beach party night, the entertainment at this resort is mediocre at best. The bands are pretty good, but the staff really shouldn’t sing at karoke if they can’t sing. Also, much of the evening entertainment did not start till 10 p.m. or after.

Staff: (rating 5) – The staff at this resort really make your stay memorable. These are probably the friendliest staff I have encountered ever at either a resort or on a cruise. We would like to send a special thanks to Fabian, our butler for the week. He not only took care of us, but also made sure that our entire group had chairs set up and ready each morning. Scott, the hotel manager, is probably the best property manager I’ve ever encountered. Not only is he on FaceBook and Trip Advisor answering pre-travel questions, he also walks the property daily interacting with the guests.

Things I would change: - 1) The property really needs a working ATM. We wanted to give more tips but ran short on cash. 2) More organized entertainment after dinner. 3) Bottled water at the bars 4) Leave the buffet open for dinner.

Overall: great trip and we will definitely go back!

Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Wonderful, clean room. Staff friendly and attentive. Food good, especially the Platinum restaurant. Try the pizza on the courtyard.
Spa and fitness center top notch.
Only improvement would be if they offered more entertainment choices in the early evening.

Definetly do Dunn's River Falls trip.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!