“Awesome....didn't want to leave!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Awesome....didn't want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We had a wonderful time. I went with my husband and a few of our friends. It was just so relaxing...and fun was had by all. We met so many nice people there. We dined with some of them and met up on the beach together and shared many laughs together. The staff went above and beyond to make your stay an enjoyable one. The hotel was spotless and the food was good. I love that it is a smaller adults only resort...alot of people got to know one another. I met a couple that lived and grew up in the same neighboorhood as I, and only a few streets away. What a small world!! The Gems are wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Carol B, Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Good day, due to glitches in our computer system your comments were not seen or responded to previously. The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River wish to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback. Please be assured that we have now corrected the computer glitch and thank you for your comments. We certainly appreciate that you took the time to give us you your feedback as we continue to ensure our service delivery and product exceed your expectations. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,237)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

We originally booked a four day trip but the Jewel was such an amazing place we decided to book two extra days. From the time you arrive until you leave the staff is attentive to your needs and take the time to get to know you personally. The rooms are very nice and the food is great especially for an all inclusive, rooms are stocked with plenty of liquor and the drinks at the bar are top shelf. I would highly recommend this resort.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

My wife and I visited this resort during our wedding anniversary. We have traveled to many locations but this was our first time in Jamaica. Our travel agent suggested The Jewel and most of the online reviews were positive so we took a chance.

I can honestly say this resort was one of the best I have ever visited. Check in was great, everyone was friendly and helpful. The room looked just like the pictures, the bed was very comfortable...and the room was clean.

The food and drinks were better than average for an all-inclusive resort. This resort has 6 restaurants with everything from burgers and pizza to fine dining. Making dinner reservations for the restaurants that required was effortless compared to some other all-inclusive resorts. Also the drinks were not watered down like some other locations and they stocked just about anything you could think of to drink.

What impressed me the most was the staff's dedication to actually entertaining the guest. They issued a daily newsletter the the events for the day...each night they offered various interactive entertainment like guest talent shows or dance lessons. One night they had a big party on the beach where we all ate, listened to a live band and enjoyed the various skits the staff (and guests) performed.

The only negative is the beach was relatively small compared to other locations we have visited. That said, the beach and water was clean and they did a good job of keeping out anyone that did not work for the resort.

As an adults only resort you can do as little or as much as you want.All and all, this was one of the best resorts we have visited and we will definitely return!

East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

If you are debating about which resort to stay at, look no further. My girlfriend and I stayed at the Jewel for a week. It was an absolute blast!!! The staff there is wonderful. They are polite, fast and great to talk with. Everyone says hello as you pass by and anyone is willing to assist you with any questions or whatever you need. I can't say enough about the staff. They were flawless.

I have seen people on here saying that the service was slow. Unless you're a raging alcoholic and need your drink 5 sec after you finish your last one, the bartenders are always right on it. No complaints here. The food was fantastic. Moonstone has wonderful food and great desserts. The pizza was awesome. You can order it pretty much all day and they are pretty fast getting it to you.

If you are looking to book an excursion outside of the resort, I definitely suggest the snorkling and Dunns River Falls climb. It was way too much fun. The people on the catamaran were wonderful. Very fun, outgoing and a pleasure to be around. Dunns River was a lot of fun. If you do go to the falls, DO NOT BUY THE DVD AT THE END!!!!! They will ask you if you would like to purchase a dvd with everyone going up the falls, still shots of you personally as well as a 20 min background on Jamaica. Not so much. For $40 you get 25 min of seeing people going up the falls with "Ya Mon" every 5 seconds. Now I appreciate them getting people pumped up while you're hiking, but come really. They are all very friendly but the dvd is a complete rip off. Don't waste your money, just enjoy the experience.

The beach is very well groomed and never a problem getting a chair by the water. Also the pool was great!!! Perfect temp to cool off. The club "Bling" I think is just getting off the ground. Nott too much was happening there but they do have a house band and they definitely know how to play some killer reggae! They are a great band.

All in all the Jewel is a wonderful place to vacation. From the staff, the service, the cleanliness. Everything. It is a perfect getaway. Scott the GM for the hotel is very involved. He came out to thank everyone for staying with them which is quite rare for management to do. It was really nice to see that.

Do yourself a favor, stay here

Room Tip: Any room is great
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

Just returned from a wonderful sty at The Jewel. We were having such an amazing time we extended our stay for an additional day!

As has been reported many times here, the staff, rooms and service was wonderful. My only complaints would be the length of the ride to/from the airport and that there was not more Reggae or music playing around the resort/ on the beach. I am not a fan of the group pool activities ( especially when the music is stopping and starting) and would have loved to just have some relaxing reggae music at the beach. We are in Jamaica after all! Music would also be ideal at the Piano Bar, since the pianist doesnt play until 10:30. Next time I will bring an ipod dock and be my own DJ!
The drinks were all good..even the house red wine and champagne. The food was much better than I have had at other all inclusives.

As mentioned in other reviews, the staff is great here. We had a great hobie ride with Steve, hilarious dinner entertainment from Blackie Chan at Jade Samurai, fun with Conrad at the Piano bar. We will definitely be back!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Thank you so much for a great stay. My boyfriend and I wanted a relaxing place to spend a quick 5 days, 4 night trip. The ride from the airport was pleasant and laid back. The reception was warm and easy going. The room was phenomenal, the mountain view did not disappoint, it was beautiful.
I would like to name a few employees at the resort who were exceptional. These staff members really went above and beyond for Drake and myself. They are Shereene (not sure on the spelling...she was our server our last night in the Platinum restaurant-excellent service!), Decoy, Garfield, and Cherryon (these bartenders were also exceptional, very attentive and friendly and fun to talk to). Finally, we took a ride with Raymon (Ray Charles) on the Hobiecat, and he was excellent, we had a blast. Please let these staff members know how highly we think of them, they were so great. Also, all the staff in the gift shop were phenomenal.

There are only two slightly negative things we would like to mention. First, I understand that the bartenders are instructed to make weak drinks because it is easier to adjust if people want them stronger (not to mention it is cheaper). However, it would be nice not to have to ask every time for a normal amount of alcohol (one shot) in a drink such as a gin and tonic. The drinks were consistently weak. The second thing concerns the entertainment staff/show. We went a couple nights to Bling to see a show or band. The resident band was great, I wish people danced more but that is not the resort's fault. What was strange was one night for the "Cabaret" how these staff members (3 girls and one guy) were kind of hovering around the main singer. The woman singer was great, but the staff members looked so pained and forced being there, kind of dancing with her, that it really distracted the audience from the show. The staff members looked like they were miserable, and maybe they were, so I would say keep the entertainment but maybe lessen the forced staff involvement. I did get to talk with all of these staffers at other points, and they were great! So maybe just an off night for them all.

Room Tip: Mountain view is gorgeous! So many singing birds!
Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

My husband I just had a wonderful and relaxing week at the Jewel. We have stayed in many other AI's, both in Jamaica, various other Caribbean islands and Mexico--but this resort was the most pleasant of all. We are not drinkers, but we made up for that with our eating. The food was delicious and interesting! We especially loved the Italian restaurant, and this is remarkable as my husband is Italian, and very picky and critical. We enjoyed the beach and the hot tubs. Our room was very comfortable and the view from our balcony was delightful. All of the staff were accomodating, but the high point of our time was the Nature Walk with Leibert. He was so knowledgeable, and his passion for his foliage was contagious. All week afterwards, my husband I walked the grounds and tried to remember what he had taught us. We did take some excursions. It was a mistake for us to go ziplining (I I found it scary, but I guess it's one of those things that is nice to say you did ONCE), but we enjoyed tubing and climbing the falls. I had a wonderful massage in the spa.
We really appreciated that activities were available throughout the day, but there was no pressure to join. We enjoyed the nighttime entertainment, and found that there was plenty of variety.
We are thinking that when my daughter turns 18, we'll return as a family!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!