“Ridge top spot in Ocho Rios” 4 of 5 stars

You added Mystic Ridge Resort to your Saves list
Mystic Ridge Resort
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   17 DaCosta Dr, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
“Ridge top spot in Ocho Rios”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

When we arrived, the room we requested wasn't available so we were allocated a first floor suite (about 15 steps) which was a nice surprise.There was a fitted kitchen area with a full sized fridge/freezer, hob, microwave, kettle and coffee maker.There were also tea bags and utensils etc, a nice sitting area and a balcony which could be accessed from the bedroom or the living area. The balcony had a nice view of the sea and part of the town centre. The tennis courts were about 20 metres away from the suite.

The bedroom was clean, the air con worked well and there was a good sized wardrobe. The beds were larger than the average single and the sheets were well laundered. I only found one TV channel (I don't often watch TV on holiday) but other guests had more choice. The bathroom was nicely laid out with a good supply of towels which were changed daily but only hand soap is provided so bring your own toiletries. There is a switch for the hot water which instantly heats up and never ran cold but it was so hot outside that I didn't need a really hot shower (some reviews said the water ran cold). The whole suite was thoroughly cleaned.

Breakfast is provided at the on site June Plum restaurant-there is a choice of eggs, toast, porridge, salt fish, yams, boiled dumplings and fruit. You can only have certain combinations so the menu might be a bit limited for some. However there is an unlimited supply of water, fruit punch and coffee and the service is attentive without being overbearing. We had dinner in this restaurant on the night we arrived and a few dishes were unavailable but the staff made up some alternatives which was really nice. One day when leaving early (7am) the kitchen wasn't open. A takeaway breakfast was boxed up for us so we could go on our day trip.

The location is great-yes the hotel is up a rather steep hill which will be challenging for anyone with average or limited physical ability but it's more than walkable- afterall I managed it after 3 weeks without any exercise! Nearby, there is Mystic Park and bird sanctuary. Turtle Park aka Turtle River Gardens is just across the road. There is a duty free shopping complex called the Taj Mahal where you can shop duty free and change money. A little further on is the Island Village shopping complex with about 30 shops, cafes and a beach at the end of the complex. Margaritaville is in this complex. for anyone who wants to party locally.The Jerk centre provides really tasty food at very cheap prices. A little further on is the craft market, supermarkets and other shops which are very reasonably priced. Evita's and Ruins at the Falls restaurant are virtually next door.
All of the above can be walked in about 10 minutes and the Dolphin swimming park and Dunns Rivers Falls is a short drive away as are many other attractions.

The pool is lovely to relax by and there is a pool guard present to ensure safety. There is also a pool bar. The complex is an hotel and also has some privately owned apartments. I was told that the complex was 80% full but it felt very quiet and relaxing when I was there and I didn't really see that many people.

There is an on site taxi service which I don't think the hotel advertises. Mr Green, Singh and the team will get you to where you want to go quickly and safely. They're not as cheap as a local cab but will offer a service tailored to meet any specific requests. My thanks to Renardo and Martel who did a top job carrying my heavy suitcase on arrival and departure.

All in all, this hotel is a great place to relax in or go out and about from There are so many things to do nearby. The staff are friendly and accommodating. It's more like a home from home. I would definitely recommend it and would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room near the mountain if you want to hear the waterfall or a room with a sea view...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Kingston, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

It was a great weekend with some friends from reservation to check in to departure. The rooms are very nice and the property gives a calm and relaxing feeling. Has a great view of the town of Ocho Rios.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

First i must say Mystic Ridge Resort has a nice view from the top looking down .We book one of those two bedrooms flat which was two and half stairs cases high my god , That was a big problem for us with that amount of steps you have climb to get the apartment, the one thing i can say about the apartment was that it was clean to that i must say well done Mystic Ridge Resort ,the children had a blast in the pool . In the night we just walk down to Margaritaville and party we enjoy every moment .

Room Tip: Rooms on the South has better view!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My sister and I spent 5 memorable nights here in early June. We landed in Montego Bay at about 5pm and arrived at Mystic Ridge after 8pm. The journey to Mystic Ridge was about 2 hours and very pleasant. On arrival, we were greeted by a friendly member of staff who located our reservation and allocated us a room. No complaints whatsoever – the room allocation took a while as the request we made with our travel agent (for a twin, rather than a double) had not reached the team here. When we were eventually shown to our room, we were very much impressed with what we saw. Our bedroom was cool, the beds were large as was the closet. The suite was tastefully decorated; our room looked just like the pictures on the internet. It is very clean. The flat screen TV seemed to only have one channel but we were out and about so much, maybe that was just me missing something. The en-suite bathroom was well fitted (there is only soap provided, you will need to bring your own shower gel, shampoo and conditioner) and our spacious lounge with fully fitted kitchen was amazing. We did not experience any problems with the hot water, although because of what we’d read, we were quite careful in the shower, a self imposed ration of sorts. There was switch in the kitchen area to switch the hot water on. I obtained a wifi code from reception. It did disconnect quite a bit but was perfectly adequate for checking my emails etc.I have a bit of a balcony obsession and ours did not disappoint. We had a pretty clear and very lovely view of Ocho Rios Bay. Shout out to Renardo who took our bags over for us, he always had a smile and if you’re looking to party, I’m told that he’s your man, he’ll get you over to Margaritaville or the other night spots in town.
As mentioned, we really enjoyed our time at the Mystic. The main points to note are – this is a clean, neat and well maintained establishment. It is not luxurious but it’s an incredibly pleasant place to be. It’s a mixed use resort with flats, timeshares and the bed and breakfast part of the property. It is located a stone’s throw from Mystic Mountain, the Dolphin Cove and Dunn’s River Falls. The Taj Mahal Shopping Centre as well as the Ocean Village Shopping Centre and Margaritaville are all within walking distance. As such, if you’re looking to get out and about, this is a great location. The onsite restaurant, June Plum is where breakfast is served each day. I did get the feeling that breakfast was being slightly rationed but it was of a good quality including cornmeal porridge, eggs, yam, dumplings, stewed mackerel, boiled bananas etc. If you go for the eggs, you may not be able to have all of the extras.
We ate at the June Plum on our first night. There were quite a number of menu items missing but what we did have to eat was nice. I’d read it’s a bit overpriced, I wouldn’t say that but there are cheaper places in town.
The pool is lovely and there is a little Jacuzzi right by it (I never saw it on though, so I don’t know if it was working).
I had read that the hill is steep and being fairly physically fit, I thought “paaah” but I must admit, it’s quite steep, not treacherous but I would usually require a short break about half way up when ascending the incline into the resort. I must mention Singh and the team of drivers that work on the property. If you’re looking for convenience, they’ll get you around town. Their rates are not the cheapest, but they are good, reliable and lots of fun!!
I hope to visit Ochi again and if I do, I’d definitely consider staying at the Mystic again. It’s at a great location and it’s a small, friendly, laid back establishment that will be a great base for exploring and relaxing Ochi and the surrounding area :-).

Room Tip: Ask for a view out over Ocho Rios bay
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I reserved three rooms at Mystic Ridge Resort. I called the hotel from the U.S. to advise that my father recently had a stroke and was unable to walk for long periods of time. The reservationist neglected to mention that the hotel/rooms were situated on a steep incline. While they did reserve a room on the ground floor for my father, it was a strenuous walk for him at times.

The food was very good and we enjoy everything prepared! Unfortunately, the service was lacking. The waiters wrote everything down but still missed/forgot items requested. Breakfast started at 6:00am (if I am remembering correct). We got there 1 hour later and already, they had run out of a dish being offered.

The property offers no nightly entertainment or even attempted music playing from a tape or cd. There is basically nothing to do there. Sometimes a bartender was not available at the swim up bar during the day.

Overall, the rooms and food were a plus but the lack of anything happening to do on the property and poor customer service in the dining-room need a bit more work

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

A perfect getaway to connect/reconnect with a loved one. A sense of privacy but perfect for those who want to explore the nearby town. We loved the decor of the rooms however some linen was slightly worn. Excellent location. Breakfast is limited. We stayed in the 2nd floor one bedroom. There was no where to sit except the bed in our room.

Room Tip: Only the lofts have a great view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I am happy to say that this hotel is absolutely amazing the front desk staff Julisa Reid was there and she made sure we were well looked after. The complimentary sky explorer package was a bonus. Thumbs up all the way for Mystic Ridge and Mystic Mountain. My husband and i totally enjoyed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mystic Ridge Resort? Share your experiences!