“Friendly, well located establishment” 4 of 5 stars

Mystic Ridge Resort
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   17 DaCosta Dr, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
London
“Friendly, well located establishment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My sister and I spent 5 memorable nights here in early June. We landed in Montego Bay at about 5pm and arrived at Mystic Ridge after 8pm. The journey to Mystic Ridge was about 2 hours and very pleasant. On arrival, we were greeted by a friendly member of staff who located our reservation and allocated us a room. No complaints whatsoever – the room allocation took a while as the request we made with our travel agent (for a twin, rather than a double) had not reached the team here. When we were eventually shown to our room, we were very much impressed with what we saw. Our bedroom was cool, the beds were large as was the closet. The suite was tastefully decorated; our room looked just like the pictures on the internet. It is very clean. The flat screen TV seemed to only have one channel but we were out and about so much, maybe that was just me missing something. The en-suite bathroom was well fitted (there is only soap provided, you will need to bring your own shower gel, shampoo and conditioner) and our spacious lounge with fully fitted kitchen was amazing. We did not experience any problems with the hot water, although because of what we’d read, we were quite careful in the shower, a self imposed ration of sorts. There was switch in the kitchen area to switch the hot water on. I obtained a wifi code from reception. It did disconnect quite a bit but was perfectly adequate for checking my emails etc.I have a bit of a balcony obsession and ours did not disappoint. We had a pretty clear and very lovely view of Ocho Rios Bay. Shout out to Renardo who took our bags over for us, he always had a smile and if you’re looking to party, I’m told that he’s your man, he’ll get you over to Margaritaville or the other night spots in town.
As mentioned, we really enjoyed our time at the Mystic. The main points to note are – this is a clean, neat and well maintained establishment. It is not luxurious but it’s an incredibly pleasant place to be. It’s a mixed use resort with flats, timeshares and the bed and breakfast part of the property. It is located a stone’s throw from Mystic Mountain, the Dolphin Cove and Dunn’s River Falls. The Taj Mahal Shopping Centre as well as the Ocean Village Shopping Centre and Margaritaville are all within walking distance. As such, if you’re looking to get out and about, this is a great location. The onsite restaurant, June Plum is where breakfast is served each day. I did get the feeling that breakfast was being slightly rationed but it was of a good quality including cornmeal porridge, eggs, yam, dumplings, stewed mackerel, boiled bananas etc. If you go for the eggs, you may not be able to have all of the extras.
We ate at the June Plum on our first night. There were quite a number of menu items missing but what we did have to eat was nice. I’d read it’s a bit overpriced, I wouldn’t say that but there are cheaper places in town.
The pool is lovely and there is a little Jacuzzi right by it (I never saw it on though, so I don’t know if it was working).
I had read that the hill is steep and being fairly physically fit, I thought “paaah” but I must admit, it’s quite steep, not treacherous but I would usually require a short break about half way up when ascending the incline into the resort. I must mention Singh and the team of drivers that work on the property. If you’re looking for convenience, they’ll get you around town. Their rates are not the cheapest, but they are good, reliable and lots of fun!!
I hope to visit Ochi again and if I do, I’d definitely consider staying at the Mystic again. It’s at a great location and it’s a small, friendly, laid back establishment that will be a great base for exploring and relaxing Ochi and the surrounding area :-).

Room Tip: Ask for a view out over Ocho Rios bay
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I reserved three rooms at Mystic Ridge Resort. I called the hotel from the U.S. to advise that my father recently had a stroke and was unable to walk for long periods of time. The reservationist neglected to mention that the hotel/rooms were situated on a steep incline. While they did reserve a room on the ground floor for my father, it was a strenuous walk for him at times.

The food was very good and we enjoy everything prepared! Unfortunately, the service was lacking. The waiters wrote everything down but still missed/forgot items requested. Breakfast started at 6:00am (if I am remembering correct). We got there 1 hour later and already, they had run out of a dish being offered.

The property offers no nightly entertainment or even attempted music playing from a tape or cd. There is basically nothing to do there. Sometimes a bartender was not available at the swim up bar during the day.

Overall, the rooms and food were a plus but the lack of anything happening to do on the property and poor customer service in the dining-room need a bit more work

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

A perfect getaway to connect/reconnect with a loved one. A sense of privacy but perfect for those who want to explore the nearby town. We loved the decor of the rooms however some linen was slightly worn. Excellent location. Breakfast is limited. We stayed in the 2nd floor one bedroom. There was no where to sit except the bed in our room.

Room Tip: Only the lofts have a great view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I am happy to say that this hotel is absolutely amazing the front desk staff Julisa Reid was there and she made sure we were well looked after. The complimentary sky explorer package was a bonus. Thumbs up all the way for Mystic Ridge and Mystic Mountain. My husband and i totally enjoyed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed in the two-bedroom, two-bathroom suite with my husband and 3 kids ages 20, 16, and 16. The room had 2 stories and was large and comfortable. The master suite on the top floor was amazing! You do have to go up a narrow, winding staircase to get to it, so this room would be inaccessible to people with mobility issues. The other bedroom had two double beds (these are smaller than full-time beds and two adults would have had a difficult time sleeping in them). There was also a daybed in the living room, and a pullout sofa in the Master Suite. As stated, it could very comfortably sleep 6 adults. It has a kitchen, which included a stovetop and a microwave (no regular oven). Dishes and pots are there. My only complaint about the room was that the shower water alternated between freezing and scalding with no warning. No long relaxing showers at this hotel! Our room was immaculately cleaned, but they took the dirty towels and only left 1 clean towel for a family of 5. We had to go to the front desk and get them ourselves at the end of a tiring day of activities: this is an example of the lack of attention to detail that would make this a great resort. The staff seem lax, as though they just don't care. Also, bring your own shampoo and such - there are no cute freebies in the bathrooms.

The restaurant at the hotel had good food with a nice open atmosphere, but the staff are not very attentive. The first night we were there, the waiter went to great lengths to describe menu offerings, and then would tell us that they were out of the item when we tried to order. It was bizarre and annoying. Breakfast is traditional Jamaican food - this is something to consider if you have children who do not want to eat callalou, saltfish, boiled yam and boiled dumpling. They say that it is a buffet, but actually if you have to stand and have it served to you. You can order an omelet, but the chef makes them one at a time, so it is quite a long wait. They are quite stingy with the juice, and will tell you that you are only allowed one glass. The staff overall, do not seem to look for ways to make your stay great, but will do what you ask them to do.

There is a tennis court and a pool, but nothing else to do on the property. This property is up a steep hill, so it is not necessarily an easy walk to anything. They do have a shuttle to Mystic Park, which is about 5 minutes away. There is also a beach shuttle, which we didn't use. One or two cab drivers hang around the parking lot and will introduce themselves to you; they are very reliable and will take you to and from attractions such as Dunn River Falls.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Leonardtown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had a terrible start to our vacation last week in Ocho Rios, spending the first night at a place that was mis-represented and simply unacceptable. With my 90 year old mother and 77 year old aunt with us, we needed to find a place with air conditioning (that worked!), clean & comfortable, and with nice surroundings. After desperately searching the Trip Advisor website we found it all at Mystic Ridge, and luckily they had 1 suite available for the remainder of the week, with breakfast included in the price. Mystic Ridge is a short way up a steep drive off the main highway in Ocho Rios (fit guests can easily walk into town for groceries, etc.), but it transports you to another world, up and out of the heat, noise and dust of the town, with lovely breezes and a splendid view of Ocho Rios town and bay. The large pool area is at the heart of a hilly campus of charming yellow and white 3-story buildings on well-manicured and landscaped grounds. A rushing waterfall is on the property just next door. We found out a few days later that quite a few of the units are privately owned, which explained why a few of them seemed to be not as well-maintained as our building. We were in Unit I-7, a 2-bedroom suite on the 3rd floor (no elevator, but my hearty 90 year old mother did fine on the stairs), with a full kitchen, and a large, covered balcony furnished with dining table & 4 chairs. Take your sleep masks along--our bedroom was very bright in the morning, and only some of the windows had curtains. A real surprise was that our bed linens were crisp and luxurious! I loved looking out at the birds in the tops of the breadfruit trees. The pleasant open-air restaurant (The June Plum) on the grounds overlooks the pool area. The breakfast is a buffet serving Jamaican cuisine: fish, sausages, kidneys, beans, steamed vegetable (cabbage and/or callaloo), sweet potato, dumplings, plantain, fried cornmeal dumplings, fruit, plus eggs and toast. We ate lunch there only once, but the offerings seemed to be pretty much the same as breakfast. The service was usually rather slow, but friendly. With our unit having a full-size refrigerator & kitchen, we often chose to eat-in either lunch or dinner, or go out to other restaurants (hands down, the very best was Toscanini's). A very charming and friendly driver connected with the property named Mr. Green was our driver of choice 90% of the time. We did have to ask the front desk for more clothes hangers, and for a few items/utensils that the kitchen was lacking. They came slowly, after a couple of asks, but did eventually arrive, always with a smile. Aside from tiny ants invading the kitchen on a regular basis, and what looked like rat poop appearing one day on the shelves in the upper bedroom's spacious walk-in closet, this persnickety traveler was happy. To sum it up, at Mystic Ridge we all felt safe, comfortable, appreciated the lovely aesthetics, and got it all for a very good value.

Room Tip: Get a suite! The one room we saw was just big enough for a bed, dark, and had little or no charm.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel is located right next to the Ruins at the Falls Restaurant. It's also right next to Ocho Rios Jerk Center, Dunns River Falls, and the duty free shopping plazas.

It's perched on top of a hill, so the view overlooking Ocho Rios is great. I stayed at this hotel twice. Actually, they hosted my wedding party back in August, 2009. They gave us a group discount. The rooms are clean and the furnishings are moderate. They do have a restaurant on site that serves continental and Jamaican hot breakfast. The continental breakfast is included in the rates, but you have to purchase the Jamaican hot breakfast.

There's also a pool and tennis court onsite. Staff is friendly and courteous. I had no problem with this hotel, and that's why I stayed there twice. If you are looking for a central location with a great view and affordable price, then it's worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mystic Ridge Resort? Share your experiences!