“Manage your expectations!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Houston, Texas
“Manage your expectations!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was an average hotel but suited us ( 4 adults 1 child) as we were not looking for much. The rooms were clean the beach was clean and the staff courteous.. We stayed one night . The air worked and the food was decent not spectactular and not a lot of variety.
We checked in late and we were given a late check out with no problems.
I do believe that they need to adjust some of the listings on their website but since I did not need , water sports or the disco it did not matter that they were not as advertised. The pool bar does not offer food and food is only avaialbe at the regular meal times- which is given to you at check in.
A reasonably priced hotel and we might stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms near the lobby.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
michaelgayle, Director of Sales at Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thanks for making us part of your travel plans and do look forward hosting you again. Your comments are noted and I will have a look at what is offered through our website.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Miramar, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My experience at this hotel is the worst I have ever experienced in my life. The first night my family and I were there the bathroom flooded, they did send someone to repair it but it flooded less than an hour after getting fixed. After offering us a room change the following morning it took about 3 hours to switch the rooms. Did I add, I had to go and complain about the water in the room after contacting the night staff (the information was not documented or pass down to the other shift). The room we were switched to was just as bad or even worst than the prior room. The shower ,the cable, the AC and door to the terrace didn't work. All the amenities that are advertised on their website is nonexistent. Oh my room was supposed be ocean view instead I had a view of two large trees. Was very disappointed in the food, didn't get any type of Jamaica cuisine. Open bar was all watered down alcohol (bartender Smiley was GREAT!!!).
Wouldn't be visiting that establishment again...

Room Tip: Do not book your vacation at Shaw Park Hotel and Spa.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
michaelgayle, Director of Sales at Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to let us know of your unfortunate experience with us. I can assure you that we do try our hardest to please our guest. However, as you know you will not be able to please all. I apologize for us not been able to meet or surpass your expectation.
We do have a system for passing on complains from one shift to the other, sometimes system fail. We will discuss your issue at our next staff meeting.
I note your comment also about not returning, there must be at lease one good experience you had while visiting with us, and base on that experience you should return and this time bring some friends.
Thanks again and we look forward serving you again.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I decided to send my mother and siblings to a three day getaway at Shaw Park Beach Resort. I wanted them to have a great time so I spoke to the office manager Cherise on the phone when booking. Not only did she give me a discount but she assured me they would have a good time. Both her and the hotel lived up to their word, my mother gushed about how friendly and helpful the staff was. Cherise even came to their lunch on the second day to personally check on them. My family LOVED the food, the beach bar and told me about the special attention that was paid to the children by the life guard when they went in the pool. Housekeeping was on time everyday to clean the room and change to fresh towels. Everything about their visit was positive. I will definitely be staying there on my next visit to Jamaica and I recommend this hotel to everyone. Thank you again Shaw Park!!!

• Stayed July 2013
michaelgayle, Director of Sales at Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thanks for your kind words, we keep trying to out do ourselves, and this serves to show good work pays off. I will pass on your commendation to Cherise.
Thanks again, and remember to bring a friend(s).
Lake Forest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights. To be fair, the first night we got there, there was no one else staying in the hotel. So needless to say, the service was amazing. The all inclusive nature of the hotel is great, but the major selling point to me and my girlfriend was the location. Its a few miles off the beaten path of the rest of the resorts in Ocho Rios and the private beach that it over looks is absolutely breathtaking. There are small jetties to walk out onto and jump off into the beautiful crystal clear 80 degree water, gorgeous white sand, and the beachfront bar is literally feet away from the beach lounging area. Our room was to be expected, but who cares about the room. It did the job just fine. The staff was always nice and professional and we were treating like gold once the staff caught wind that it was our one year anniversary together. They took extra special care of us and even reserved a table with the best view each night we went to dinner. As the hotel got busier and more guests showed the service never declined. The menu at the hotel restaurant was great. At least three to four things to choose from each day being different from breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We seriously decided a few days to not even venture out into Ocho Rios because we felt so at home and relaxed at the hotel. We had everything we needed, food, booze, our room, the beach, and activities.

The only thing I would say negative about the hotel is that they don't actually offer all that is said on the website when it comes to the all inclusive water sports. The snorkeling is really the only thing that is available. The kayaks didn't have oars, and there were no catamarans or sailing boats as advertised. But the snorkeling is amazing and the reef not too far out from the hotel beach is breathtaking.

All in all, an amazing trip, we will never forget. We will always remember our nights at the beachfront bar with Smiley. The self nicknamed bar tending genius who makes a killer drink and manages to make you laugh.

Room Tip: Tip the staff well the first night and they will remember that the rest of your stay. Trust me.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
michaelgayle, Director of Sales at Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thanks a lot for those wonderful reviews, i will pass on your comments to "Smiley" our Bar Tender extraordinaire.
i will mention your concerns about the water sport issues to our Chairman.
Thanks again and we look forward seeing you again.
Remember to bring some friends on that visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Ok. So you don't have included the scuba diving or jet skis, but fantastic beach and pool, excellent rooms with great ocean views. Food was not available 24 hours but when it was there was more than enough and good quality. Never went hungry. Staff went out of there way to make the stay enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013
michaelgayle, Director of Sales at Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thanks for your kind comments, we continue to try harder as we move from 3 to 4 stars. We look forward having you again, remember to share the fun with your friends, bring them the next time you visit.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Actually attended: last week of February 2012 (had to select July 2012 since we could only go back as far as July 2012 in the drop-down asking when we attended the resort).

We booked Shaw Park instead of a 5 star because we knew we would be doing a lot of travelling around the island, so we weren't too picky about what our room was like and we just wanted a resort that was small and authentic Jamaican.

We were not disappointed. Yes, the grounds and rooms need a lot of work and the food was repetitive and sparse at times, but frankly for a small 3 star, it was exactly what we were expecting.

The resort is very small and intimate. All the rooms are oceanfront. Ours was literally steps from the beach and bar! Perfect! And since it was so small, there was no waiting in line for drinks or food and there were enough loungers for everyone in the resort to have 2 each! LOL The pool was tiny and deserted most of the time as everyone spent their time on the beach.

If you are looking for a party resort, this one is not for you as there is no entertainment or nightlife to speak of. They have musicians playing after dinner, and one night there was karaoke until 11pm at the beach bar, but the disco maybe had 20 people in it after 11pm!

That was fine for us since we weren't there to party all night. We were there to relax and unwind, as well as to check out the sights and culture around the island.

We didn't do any organized excursions, but we did hire a car and driver to take us (and another couple we met at the resort) around the island for some authentic jerk chicken and to visit the Blue Lagoon and Bob Marley's homestead. We did some shopping in Ocho Rios as well and met a lot of really nice people.

Our drive Fritz (we call him Fritz the Cat due to his cat-like moves manoeuvering through the treacherous roads leading up to Bob Marley's and manoeuvering around the roads. They drive like NYC cabbies in Jamaica! It was great fun!

Shaw Park will always hold a special place in my heart since I got engaged there! My now-husband proposed to me in the gazebo on the dock at dusk on my birthday. So romantic!

I think we'll be back again. Maybe for our 5th wedding anniversary!

Room Tip: They are all oceanfront, so I don't think you can pick a bad one. However, closer to the main lo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
michaelgayle, Director of Sales at Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thanks for your honest reviews of our wonderful property. We have taken note of ALL your comments and I can assure you we always have our guest in mind. Please come back and bring your friends.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Decent hotel with an excellent private beach. Quiet and relaxing. It is not a 5-star but offers good and clean rooms just on the beach.

One of the disadvantages is that it does not offer wi-fi apart from a restricted area in front of the reception and that the food could have been better and more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Wonderful comments, we will be looking into getting 2 more WiFi repeaters so we will have coverage through out the property.
Thanks and look forward seeing you and don't forget to bring some friends so that your stay can be more enjoyable.

Been to Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!