My stay at Shaw Park left a big enough impression to provide motivation for my first review on TripAdvisor. I feel obligated to warn others about it or at least prepare them to show up with tempered expectations. It wasn't completely disastrous, but there were enough mishaps throughout the entirety of our stay that made it very disappointing, especially for the cost. I should be fair and say that the food was decent, and you have direct access to the beach... but that's about it.
1. The place is definitely old and needs some major refurbishment. It was kept clean enough, but don't expect anything nicer than a Motel 6. You can see remnants of how it was quite the hot spot maybe in the 70's, but those glory days are long gone.
2. Upon arrival, we were seated outside on the patio for lunch. Even though we were seated slightly away from a massive swarm of bees that seemed to hover in one particular area by the bar, we would still have several of them fly over and buzz around our food. Not ideal. What made it even less ideal is the fact that we found out that the staff were actually FEEDING the bees sugar water, hence the huge congregation of them. We were notified by a staff member that they were trying to increase pollination after the effects of Hurricane Sandy on the local vegetation. I understand the devastating impact of natural disasters like this to the island and I commend them for their efforts, but POOR CHOICE OF LOCATION! The resort was almost completely vacant during our stay. You couldn't even find another living soul besides at the bar/dining area when 1 of the 2 other families staying there decided to brave the bees to get food or drink. There was an entire other portion of the deck with dining tables that wasn't being used. Regardless, they chose to seat their guests and feed the bees within the same 15 ft radius. The bee infestation was so terrible that my husband received a rum and coke with 3 dead bees in it. You really can't make this stuff up. The waitress didn't appear to be too fazed by it. After watching her go back behind the bar to get him another drink, we saw her shoot out several more bees from the soda gun. They must have been attracted to the sugar, climbed up the dispenser, and gotten stuck there.
3. There are stray cats that loom around the dining area. Cats bother some people, no big deal to others.... until they urinate under the tables while you're eating. Like I said, almost comical but sadly not.
4. Beach towels were stained with blood. They make a big point to sign-out the towels to ensure that you bring them back. Apparently, this is such an effective system that they're still able to use the same towels they had back in the 70's (joking). Regardless, it doesn't matter how many times you wash them. If blood stains are still visible, it's time to throw those things away... or invest in white towels that you can bleach. Also, the beach chairs aren't the cleanest. Most of them were spotted with bird poo that hadn't been scraped off very well.
5. Our tub drain in the bathroom was completely clogged.
6. Our main waitress was quite rude insisting that my chair wasn't scooted up to the table enough while I ate or yelling at another person in our group for getting food from the wrong side of the buffet table. This was completely unnecessary as there was no one else up at the buffet at the time. The other members of staff were pleasant and friendly though, including the front desk ladies, the bartenders, and the other waitress.
7. One of the groundskeepers approached my husband asking him to get him a drink, but told him not to inform the staff members that it was for him. Not a big deal, but it doesn't add to the relaxing beach experience.
Some of these complaints may seem trivial, aside from the bees and the urinating cats, but there were just enough instances to make this an undesirable stay.
I would definitely not recommend this resort to anyone for the price that's listed. Luckily, we were only here for just the weekend during a 3 week stay in Jamaica. I would have felt completely cheated if we would have gone specifically for a vacation/holiday at Shaw Park.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.