“Blood stains on the bed sheets!” 1 of 5 stars

Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cutlass Bay, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #26 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Mountain View, California
“Blood stains on the bed sheets!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is a joke!

for $200 per night, they don't even provide shampoo and conditioner, just a couple of really small soaps. The bathroom is so tiny and you can hardly fit 2 people in there.

this $200 includes "All-inclusive", but the food was way below average, the selection of food was so limited that I don't think you can call it a "buffet". The coconut juice was diluted with water, no taste at all. This "resort" offers nothing other than a simple little beach that was not even clean, how can you expect people to stay on this resort for a whole day? Of course we had to go outside of the property during the day for other entertainments, so naturally we miss lunch during the day.

The worst of all, we discovered blood stains on the sheets. We did not examine closely at night and just crawled into bed, the next morning after we lifted the blankets, we saw those distinct blood stains, it was so gross. I went to tell the front desk, the receptionist was "okay", that's it, no apologies, no offering of refund or anything.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

399 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I are in our late-20s and had never been to Jamaica. Both of us are American grad/medical students who wanted to see as much of the country as we could without falling into mega tourist traps/secluded resorts that don't allow one to see much of the country. We also had a limited amount of time and a strict budget. We found this hotel through Delta Airlines, and were able to book it using Sky Miles without any problems! We paid for our stay in full using our miles without any hidden fees or surprises upon check out--very happy about this!

We stayed at Shaw Park for two nights. Both of us were very, very pleased with the service and rooms! Below is an outline of points for those debating on staying here:

- PRIVACY!!!! Oh my goodness, we could not have asked for more privacy--it was so wonderful! The room we stayed in was HUGE with a great balcony and ocean front view! Very quiet, serene, perfect. It was as though we had our own private island. Absolutely loved this! We always felt very safe and secure, too.

- The food was delicious!

- The staff was very kind and helpful! Example: One night we just wanted burgers rather than the big meal offered as the dinner selection at the restaraunt, and the chef went out of his way to make this for us, call our room, and surprise us-- no problems!

- I've read some negative criticism of the "dated" decor. Frankly, I am rather disappointed to read such remarks. The atmosphere was completely charming, well-maintained, and clean. Our AC and television worked perfectly, we had hot clean running water, and no bug problems. The rooms offer a break from the mega resort cookie cutter interiors--a change my boyfriend and I warmly welcomed. For those looking for a typical Disney/Sandals type of atmosphere, you would probably prefer to stay somewhere else. (Photos of our room and hotel atmosphere included...)

- The front desk set us up with transportation that was personalized and fantastic. We had driver take us to Dunns River Falls, pick us up afterward, then show us all around Ocho Rios for a very reasonable fee. In my opinion, much better than some big tour group...

- The one thing that I would have liked would have been wifi... but at the same time, it really forced us to go into complete vacation mode (which is what we needed!)

- Ocho Rios was my favorite area of Jamaica (we also visited Montego Bay and Kingston). I definitely hope to return, and will absolutely book my stay at this same hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My stay at Shaw Park left a big enough impression to provide motivation for my first review on TripAdvisor. I feel obligated to warn others about it or at least prepare them to show up with tempered expectations. It wasn't completely disastrous, but there were enough mishaps throughout the entirety of our stay that made it very disappointing, especially for the cost. I should be fair and say that the food was decent, and you have direct access to the beach... but that's about it.

1. The place is definitely old and needs some major refurbishment. It was kept clean enough, but don't expect anything nicer than a Motel 6. You can see remnants of how it was quite the hot spot maybe in the 70's, but those glory days are long gone.

2. Upon arrival, we were seated outside on the patio for lunch. Even though we were seated slightly away from a massive swarm of bees that seemed to hover in one particular area by the bar, we would still have several of them fly over and buzz around our food. Not ideal. What made it even less ideal is the fact that we found out that the staff were actually FEEDING the bees sugar water, hence the huge congregation of them. We were notified by a staff member that they were trying to increase pollination after the effects of Hurricane Sandy on the local vegetation. I understand the devastating impact of natural disasters like this to the island and I commend them for their efforts, but POOR CHOICE OF LOCATION! The resort was almost completely vacant during our stay. You couldn't even find another living soul besides at the bar/dining area when 1 of the 2 other families staying there decided to brave the bees to get food or drink. There was an entire other portion of the deck with dining tables that wasn't being used. Regardless, they chose to seat their guests and feed the bees within the same 15 ft radius. The bee infestation was so terrible that my husband received a rum and coke with 3 dead bees in it. You really can't make this stuff up. The waitress didn't appear to be too fazed by it. After watching her go back behind the bar to get him another drink, we saw her shoot out several more bees from the soda gun. They must have been attracted to the sugar, climbed up the dispenser, and gotten stuck there.

3. There are stray cats that loom around the dining area. Cats bother some people, no big deal to others.... until they urinate under the tables while you're eating. Like I said, almost comical but sadly not.

4. Beach towels were stained with blood. They make a big point to sign-out the towels to ensure that you bring them back. Apparently, this is such an effective system that they're still able to use the same towels they had back in the 70's (joking). Regardless, it doesn't matter how many times you wash them. If blood stains are still visible, it's time to throw those things away... or invest in white towels that you can bleach. Also, the beach chairs aren't the cleanest. Most of them were spotted with bird poo that hadn't been scraped off very well.

5. Our tub drain in the bathroom was completely clogged.

6. Our main waitress was quite rude insisting that my chair wasn't scooted up to the table enough while I ate or yelling at another person in our group for getting food from the wrong side of the buffet table. This was completely unnecessary as there was no one else up at the buffet at the time. The other members of staff were pleasant and friendly though, including the front desk ladies, the bartenders, and the other waitress.

7. One of the groundskeepers approached my husband asking him to get him a drink, but told him not to inform the staff members that it was for him. Not a big deal, but it doesn't add to the relaxing beach experience.

Some of these complaints may seem trivial, aside from the bees and the urinating cats, but there were just enough instances to make this an undesirable stay.

I would definitely not recommend this resort to anyone for the price that's listed. Luckily, we were only here for just the weekend during a 3 week stay in Jamaica. I would have felt completely cheated if we would have gone specifically for a vacation/holiday at Shaw Park.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Miramar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The beachfront rooms at this property is what i look forward to every year. The food is Great and the staff is very friendly. My Daughter Loves the beach and the olympic size pool. Looking forward to going back for a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is an older hotel and it really needs updating. There was no tours available when I got there and the food was okay. The staff is really good and they really make up for everything else. I will not go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Just had a week of fantastic chilling right by the beach under the palms. Everyday we watched the local fishermen bring in their catch at sunrise, then a swim and walk on the gorgeous beach, followed by a real jamaican breakfast.

The rooms were huge, ultra clean, and just right for a beach vibe.

The food was always of high quality, but we would have liked even more jamaican dishes- the chef does this so well.

We will be back......................

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Minden, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Again I came back here to read the reviews, which I dont know why but hey. I just finished booking our trip again (we are going in Nov) This will e our second time to Jamaica and second time to Shaw Park. This time we are going for two weeks!!! Anyway it is not the Ritz but it is Shaw Park Beach. If you want 5 star then get a five star resort. We love the people there, we love the food and we love the beach. We can walk to shopping ( which I love) or get a local taxie. I will write another review when we get back in Nov until then... Happy Trails !!!

Room Tip: The Deluxe Beachfront are the best
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!