“Apartment D13” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Main Street, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #33 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
“Apartment D13”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here for 2 weeks with boyfriend and had an amazing time. The apartment was clean and offers everything you need when you're on holiday. The owner Jen provided us with a jamaican mobile line which meant we didnt have to worry about crazy phone bills when we returned. The housekeeper Stephanie came on more or less a daily basis and is a lovely woman. Apartment offers fully equipped kitchen, pc with internet, stereo, cable tv, etc. Lovely sized bedroom and separate living area. Literally 2 mins walk onto the beach which is just behind the complex. All at great rates. Only downfall is that since we went in October it was very quiet on the complex so most things such as bar and restaurant in Sandcastles were closed but being in the centre of Ocho Rios you really dont have to go too far for anything. Going back next year and I know exactly where I'm staying. Room D13.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I booked this room with the owner who does not live in Ocho Rios. Not one time did she tell me that the air wasn't working properly. We were suppose to stay for 3 nights, but didn't arrive until the next day, so it would have been two nights. When we arrived. we meet with the owner's private housekeeper who was very nice, polite and helpful. She gave us the key and we gave her a deposit of $100, which we would get back if everything was alright with the place. We started to unpack and realized the the air wasn't working, just making noise. We figured that we needed to let it warm up a little bit, so we left out. When we came back, still no air. So, I decided to take a shower and realized that I could not even fit in the shower. I had to leave the shower door open, because it wasn't big enough for me. We called the housekeeper and she said that she would call the owner. She spoke with the owner, but we never heard from her that night. We told the housekeeper that we wanted to leave immediatley, but unfortunately, we had to leave the next morning. It was such an inconvenience, not only for us, but the housekeeper who had to take a taxi to come and get the key back that next morning around 7am. We didn't here from the owner until 2 days later. I asked her to refund my money into my account immediately, because we needed it to help pay another room. Not once, did this owner say that she would help us with any other accomodations or transportation funds for that matter. I never received any apology email from this owner, so it was very obvious that she did not even care. We paid for transportation from one parish to Ochie and from Ochie back to the same parish, which was very expensive. I took pictures and can forward them to anyone who wishes to see what our nightmare was about.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed here with 4 friends for 6 days for a wedding. Apartment was billed as a penthouse and the pictures they sent us before we booked were nice. But this resort is run down and unloved - chewed up parking lot, nasty pool, stray cats everywhere. Our apartment was neat and clean but dark and dated. The only up to date amenity was our upstairs shower - it was a modern, multi-head deal with phone and radio connections...but nothing worked but the main shower head. This place is fine if you want to save money and don't much care about your room, but for me a nice room is as important as the rest of my vacation experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

this hotel is in walking distance to every where in the town of ocho rios, the gardens are well kept and security is very good, the last time i was there in may 2012 the bar or the restaurant was not in operation, so i had to walk out to eat, you can also prepare your own meals most of the suites have a complete kitchen and it is right on the beach with 24 hour security.
the manager is very friendly and helpful, you can rent from private owners or the hotel.
this hotel is kids friendly and a getaway for the whole family.i stayed in this hotel before and they use to have a band playing by the pool nightly, and the restaurant and bar was operating then, the food was very good. this is a hotel where the price is negotiable if you are renting from one of the private owners, it is not 100% now it needs some improvement, but still a very reasonable secured, low budget vacation spot.

Room Tip: rooms to the south are quieter there is party in a parking lot close by some times on weekends to th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I would not recommend this so called "resort " to anyone. When I pulled up to the property, I was embarrased to get out of the car. Once I got inside, my suspicions were confirmed. There was no one at the desk to welcome me. I had to search the grounds to find someone. When I finally found a staff member, he did not have any record of my room. I had to present my own room information. I was shown three rooms. I was unhappy with all three. The rooms were very shabby, the bathroom was substandard. Oh, and the lovely pool that is advertised online, well, let's just say insects would not survive in it. The grounds reaked of cat feases, and yes there were cats running everywhere.I had to choose another hotel, as I was concerned about my health as well as my safety. I was much happier at my other hotel. Unhappy traveler 2012

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

.The hotel was vey well known .really close to the beach with all shops and bars very near.you can walk everywhere.
has a private car park and very safe. The hotel was not busy and the bar was closed but i dont drink so it didnt bother me, but if u do the liquer is cheap in the supermarket across the road.
This palce is great if u want some peace and quite instead of a loud and busy hotel. This one bed appartment had wifi,tv,music player,nice veiw.smoking area,ac hot water and cozy.This room is private owned room.Jeni gave us a good price so it was cheaper then a hotel.Coming back and staying here.
WE COOKED FOR OURSELF AND HAD A FRIDGE FOR ALL LEFT OVERS. MUSIC SYSTEM WHICH I LINKED UP WITH MY IPHONE. I FORGOT MY PHONE IN THE ROOM AND THE OWNER JUST POSTED IT BACK TO ME. SO LOST NOTHIN AND GAINED A GREAT TIME IN JAMAICA. WILL DEFO COME BACK TO JENI'S APPARTMENT @ SANDCASTLES.

Room Tip: pick the private rooms and not hotel rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
West London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I have stayed here many times, alone or with my 5 year old and other family members. I recommend booking an apartment/studio through an owner not through Sandcastles coz its cheaper, the rooms are much better, microwave, utensils, flat screen, clean, working AC and in general a home from home feel. Yes i know for some of you these things are not important but when your away from home with a child you still need to have certain things at hand (oh yeh and some dont have cable). If u book through sandcastles then the room is basic, u will be lucky if you have a microwave. The pool needs fixing up but my son loves it regardless, everything is central plus the Turtle park directly across the road, the external works needs touching up but the area is kept clean all the time. wifi beside the pool which helped.Staff have always been helpful, everyone has different experiences but trust me i travel to Ja twice a year and Sandcastles has always been my base , i will go visit my family but i keep this place to come back too. Relaxed and friendly environment the only thing is the restaurant wasnt open and usually by the pool sometimes there is a vibe but on this trip in december they didnt have any activities going on

Room Tip: i stayed infront of the carpark, E block which was cool and easier for me after parking up it was a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sand Castles Resort? Share your experiences!