“dosen't get better than this” 5 of 5 stars

Fisherman's Point Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Turtle Beach Road | PO Box 747, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #25 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
bronx,ny
“dosen't get better than this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

I recently had the pleasure of staying at what i would consider the most reasonably priced beautifully manicured and well run establishments i have experienced since i've come to jamaica.The staff was both beautiful and professsional and they seemed to find no excuses when it came to my comfort.Because of this experience jamaica will continue to be my choice for vacations and fishermans point resort my desired location when in ocho rios. jeffrey jones stayed 03/13/08

• Liked — very comfortable and spacious
  • Disliked — i had to leave
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, and the location is great - near to Island Village and an easy walk to town. The hotel itself is very quiet, with the exception of the music from Ocean's 11, so it's not a spot for people that want an early night to bed. The main downfall of the hotel is that everything is hard! The beds were hard, the couches were hard, and the beach chairs were hard - The beach is a bit of a walk from the hotel, as you have to walk down to the main gate to enter. On the beach, chairs are available from the hotel, but they are in much need of replacement - they were missing slats and half broken.

The condo itself was of decent size and clean, the staff was friendly - it's a great price for the convenience of having a full kitchen, LR and bedroom, but not the fanciest of accomodations. The restaurant was very good - we ate breakfast and dinner there once each - the fish for dinner was the biggest fish I had all week - it easily could have fed two!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hard Furniture!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
St Catharines Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2008

To begin, despite some of the horror stories about Fisherman's Point, we (my friend Sharon and I ), had a great time. The area was great and you could see all the cruise ships coming and going every day. With margarittaville just up the street and Oceans 11 party/kerioki bar right across the street there was no lack of entertainment. All the shops and beech within 5 mins walking distance made for great fun. The local ppl were fun and polite. We lucked out and got a nice room but, I must say that the resort itself is not really a resort its more like privately owned condos. The units all have individual owners and some are rented out by the month to locals. We never had any problems and we didn't mind the music at night either coming from Marga's or Oceans 11.
The only thing I can think of to complain about is that the time between when the cruise boats leave and the nightlife begins is very boring there is not much to do till about 11pm. The streets are almost bare no ppl not seen many locals during that time frame, and the other is that at Fisherman's Point they have nothing going on there..there is a beautiful bar and restaurant round back and a pool side bar that is never open. You can tell they dont upkeep the poolside bar as all the stools were in need of some serious repair(seat material torn and batting all coming out). As I have been to Jamaica several times now ( in mobay) this was my first trip to Ocho Rios and to tell you the truth I like the independent living much better than the all inclusive packages. You get a fridge,stove oven,microwave,toaster and coffeemaker in your own kitchen so you can cook what you want when you want and with a general supermarket and market square on the main street makes it very convenient . Also there is a burgerking and a kfc just up the main street if you fell your missing home a little and the prices are really good too.and if you want to pay big bucks u can use the resort restaurant..I found they charged a lot for local cuisine but to each their own.
The housekeeping staff were polite and very helpfull we had no probs there they will even wash your clothes for you for a small fee about 350$JA/load or u can use the laundromat yourself.
All in all our apartment we not bad for a 1 bedroom and when we looked out the bedroom window we could clearly see the beach/peer and Oceans 11 bar and of the small balconey we had a great view of the resort centre and pool.
We were there for 2 weeks and had a wonderful time.

• Liked — the location was what we liked best
  • Disliked — there were no activities at the resort at all not even at the bar and poolside bar was never open
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
savannah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

I stay in unit 39 it was very nice the owner gave excellent advise before arrive to Jamaica. The unit was very clean and the help was wonderful. The location was excellent .

Stayed November 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

I recently visited the Fisherman's Point Resort from Dec. 27-Jan 1, 2008 and stayed in unit 37. I booked the condo directly from the owner from another website. Prior to booking, I wish I would have taken the advice of other visitors. In my group it was a total of 4 people and we got all five nights for $750.00. To be honest with you, it was a waste of money.

I will be honest and let you know that the whole entire trip was not a waste and inspite of the hotel, we had a blast. It was four women between the ages of 25-31.

Things we liked:
1. Location. It is located in a great area. You are right on the beach. From the balcony you can see the marina where all the private and commercial boats are parked. You can also see the cruise ships when they come in.

Because you are on the sea, you get a strong wind from the sea. You are in walking distance to all the shops and only a skip, hop, and a jump away from Margaritaville. You are in very close proximity to all the shopping, and all of the restaurants. You will not beat the location.

Thats about it for the things that I liked.

Dislikes:

1. The condo was filthy and old. This condo is privately owned and the owner has not put any work into the property. The kitchen is old and rundown. We did have the opportunity to peek our heads inside of another condo and they had tiled backsplashes etc. Not unit 37.

The bathroom was filthy and it had lots of mold and mildew throughout the bathroom.

The bedroom has very old bed coverings and when I pulled the covers back, my bed had a small blood stain inside of it.

The owner kept all of the cleaning supplies locked up in a closet and if you bring sand in from the beach; you will not be able to get it up.

The cable only worked half of the time that we were there and the phone did not work at all.

Please take my advise and spend the extra money to stay somewhere nice like the Sunset Jamaica Grande located a few blocks down. Rooms on the Beach was nicer than this place!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jamaica, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

My fiancee took me here for my birthday, i was really excited and looking forward to a good time. when we arrived, we were taken to our room by the gentle man at the front desk. the first place he showed us was the bedroom, then the bathroom. There was a dirty wash cloth (rag) hanging in the bathroom with an unwrapped soap sitting on the face basin and the wrapper of the soap in the bin. I took off the blanket from the bed and the pillow cases were dirty. to add to my pain, the kitchen had no light. the bulb was there but apparently i was blown. i notified the young man who told us he was going to get a bulb...he didn't return, neither did he call. All this took place friday when we got there. on Saturday, i called the front desk for an iron, we waited impatiently for half of an hour for an iron.! We checked out on Sunday afternoon and up until then, the kitchen was still without a new bulb.. THE SERVICE THERE IS REALLY POOR. I DON'T THINK I'LL EVER GO BACK THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — nothing in particular
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

My wife and I went to celebrate our wedding anniversary, first time in Jamaica. The location of this hotel is excellent, we can walk to the most restaurants, stores, church, etc. on downtown. Most of Jamaican people is so friendly, specially Mr. Johnson a taxi driver designed for this hotel, he is honest, drive carefully, trustable guy. The security on the property is other good thing, all the entrances are protected. The yard and gardens are so clean, very good maintenance to the plants, bushes and trees. My only complain is about their furniture, they should to update 'em; its still acceptable but if they replace'em would be better. The staff on front desk looks like shy guys, for me they affraid their boss located in a small office in the opposite side of the counter. About the time to clean the rooms, for us was too late, usually the housekeepers go to do it at noon, but in this hotel they go at 4:00 PM!!! They had a wonderful idea to locate a Mini-Store inside the property, Excellent!

• Liked — The sight to the ocean from our terrace.
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Fisherman's Point Resort? Share your experiences!