“we had a wonderfull vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

You added Sandals Ochi Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | P.O. Box 771, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Booking Bonus!
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Certificate of Excellence 2014
fallen192
“we had a wonderfull vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

Where do we begin ? the room was great , it was clean , comfortable and relaxing , the resort staff from the management down made our stay everything we were hopping for , The restaurants were excellent creating an atmosphere of romance , We had the best time there and look forward to coming back year after year , from the pools to the beaches and the service it made our vacation everything we dreamed about and more ,

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,742)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

I just came back from SGOR and would like to share my experience. My husband and I chose Sandals to celebrate my 30th birthday. Our first day at the resort wasn't the best; they could not find a room for us and kept us waiting for about 2 hours. The worse thing is that after waiting for so long, we did not like the room at all, we were put in one of the bungalows in the Riviera side, the room was dark, the furniture was old and it smelled like it was closed for a while. I immediately went to the front desk and asked to be moved to the main building where I noticed that the rooms are newer. After waiting for another hour, they promised to give us a new room but only on the next day. Once moved to the main building, everything improved 100%. The room was bigger, newer and more luxurious. The food was ok, not bad but not gourmet either, my only advice is to stay away from the Asian restaurants, stick with the Italian and Caribbean cuisines. I would also recommend Arizona, if you have the chance to eat there ask for Sophia, she is the best waitress in Jamaica. She is the cutest and most lovable person we met there. I completed my Open Water Scuba Diving course at the resort and could not be happier, Magnum, my instructor gave me a highly comprehensive course that was not painful and it went very fast. After I finished the course we went scuba diving a couple to times and loved it. There are a lot of activities throughout the day and night, the playmakers are wonderful, they are really the people that make the resort fun They are there for you to do anything, if you need a partner to play tennis, they are there for you. We are very active people so we participated in the beach party, luau, Jamboree, talent show and other activities. We had a blast, I specially want to mention Odane, one of the playmakers, he is the funniest guy I ever met, and you have to meet him. Overall, we had a good experience. Do remember that you are on vacation in Jamaica and that you will have to wait for things or people or food!!

Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

My husband and I went to Grande Oc hos Rios for a weeks vacation. As previous Sandals vacationers (this being our 4th time in Jamaica), we picked this one because we had not been in this location before. The usual airport crowd at customs and immigration was gone and our plane was apparently the only one that landed at the time and we got through in record time. Our stay in the airport lounge was only long enough for a rest stop and to grab a drink and we were off for the 2 hour ride to the resort. The resort was just beautiful. We were a bit disappointed in our first room, being that there was a lingering smoky smell (and we are non-smokers) and no balcony, but the next morning we were moved to a nice little cottage room with a balcony. And in Jamaica this was "No Problem". We enjoyed the food immensely, contrary to some of the other reviews. Was it 5 star? No, but we are not gourmet diners and it was all very good. If you don't like something, order something else! There is also a shuttle to Sandals Dunn's River resort where there are more dining options. We went there for a day and were able to get a tour of the rooms there. Dunn's River is a smaller resort, however, we were impressed by that one too. One thing that we didn't know about ahead of time was the all white nite with chocolate buffet, and we did not have white clothes, but its all still good. There is also a beach buffet and a festival night. We attended the Sandals select dinner for returning guests and it was flawless. The food was excellent and the staff was superb! The staff at this resort was probably one of the best, they couldn't do enough for us. The resort is divided into 2 areas, the Riveria side and the Manor side which also has the private villas. No problem, there was a shuttle every 10 minutes back and forth. Both sides were a lot of fun, lots of pools, hot tubs and the Manor side has a small but fun water slide. The beach is on the Riveria side if you want to be near the beach, but the shuttle can get you over there in 10 minutes. We did stay on the Riviera side, but the Manor side would have been fine also. Bear in mind that this is a resort with lots of stairs, so if you need other accommodations or don't want to deal with the stairs I reccomend that you stay at Sandals Dunn's River and shuttle over for a look around and some dinner. I also recommend the couples massage. It was heavenly, over the ocean in a tiki hut area on the promenade, very private and very enjoyable. There is so much to say about this vacation, but I think I covered the important parts.

kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Ocho Rios Grande Resort for 3 nights. We had an amazing time. The food, attractions, people, entertainment, beach, and resort was amazing. It is a great resort to go to for any occasion.

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

Having only read about the Sandals brand " Luxury Included" it has to said that this resort is in no way of a 4 or 5 star on any basis.
The whole resort is in a complete need of renovation. The rooms (manor side) are generally very well worn and in our case very smelly. After much complaining we finally managed a change but not to anything much better.
The service from the staff was very hit and miss sometimes good sometimes miserably bad. Thanks to Kayedean and some of the waiting staff Glenford/Shanni who made an effort to at least live up to the Sandals reputation. Many of the other staff were very miserably and not too keen or helpful probably due to the long hours they are working six days a week.
The resort is split over two sides of the main road which should be considered it can be a pain waiting for buses to get from side to side although they are every 10 minutes.
Before booking this very expensive option think long and hard before you part with your money and read many of the reviews and the truth lies somewhere in the middle in other words very average and definitely not luxury.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

I looked for a place where I could "chill" out for a few days. Well, I froze in jamaica. The weather, geography, the resort, the food, the everything was wonderul. Then I met the people. The jamaicans are a people that were so incredible. Warm, bright, happy, kind, gentle, musical, and so welcoming. I shall return. I miss them already.

Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

My wife and I just got back from a stay at Sandals Grans Ocho Rios for our aniversary. We stayed at the Manor. The best way to describe is "awsome." This was my second stay with sandals and this trip was incredible - every day was a new suprise. They run a great returning guest program. We received a free upgrade to a suite with a private pool and hot tub. I wouldn't have had a better stay at any other resort!!! Stocked bar, with complementary grey goose vodka. Had the butler serivice which arranged activities, brought food, escorted us to restaurants, turned down the bed (the final might included flower pedals throughout the room), provided us with a cell phone for continuous on hand support, and picked us up at various parts of the resort. Service was great. Resort was beatiful - If you like nature in the tropics, this resort is wonderful with the villas spaced through the resrot property. Dinners were excellent at selected restaurants. My wife was able to relax at our private pool while I went scuba diving. Or if you want to socialize at the extra large pool and pool bar, that is there for you, too. I had an excellent time and the experience with the Jamaican culture was wonderful. We visited Dunns River and went horse back ridding on the beach. There are also two other resorts in the area to visit for a change of atmosphere. The trip was over the top!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!