“Great Time, Good Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

You added Sandals Ochi Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | P.O. Box 771, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Booking Bonus!
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC
“Great Time, Good Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2006

After reading a bunch of terrible reviews for this resort, my girlfriend and I were worried about heading down. But after arriving at the resort (In the pouring rain mind you!), our worries dissapeared.

I will break it down for you..

1. THE RIDE FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE RESORT!
Yeah, it stinks and the trip is long but having been to other third world countrys, I wasn't really surprised. You stop off at rest stop halfway there which is nice.

2. THE CHECK IN
Super easy..we were taken into the hotel lobby on the Manor side and given champagne, a towel and bag with a bunch of bathroom stuff. The hostess also gave us a brief introduction of the resort. 30 minutes later, we were taken by jitney to our room.

3. The Room
We booked a honey plantation villa room on the Manor Side but were upgraded to a villa suite that had a stocked fridge with beer, sodas and juice. The villa was amazing with a seperate living room, kictchen, bedroom and bath that openned up on the ground floor to a semi private pool. The room was spectacular and extremely clean. But, we spent very little time in our room so going the cheap route might have been a smarter choice when booking.

Also, stay on the Manor side where everything from the main house to the villas are considerably more "upscale"

4. The Food
The food was better than I expected. On the first night (valentines day) we ate at Orchids which is one of the resorts high end restaraunts. The food was very good, the presentation was nice and the service was top notch. We arrived at 6:45 and were sat at 7;30. We heard stories of other people who were not able to get into Orchids that night so we were lucky.

We spend five nights at the resort so we ate at a different place every night.
Orchids was great
San Genero was very good
Valentinos was superb
The Manor was good
Arizona was ok (but you eat out on the pier which was cool)

-Activities

There is always something to do. We went on the cruise to Dunns river falls which was fun. The snorkling was mediocre on that excursion but the booze cruise after climbing the falls was awesome.

We also went horsback riding on the heritge tour which was capped off by going into the ocean with your horse. DO NOT MISS THIS ONE! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!

We also did some of the free activities...we went on hobie cat ride which was fun but othersie, just hung at the Manor Pool which was fantastic and the beach which was small but fine.

-SERVICE

TOP NOTCH! Everyone is extremely nice and helpful. You need anything, don't be afraid to ask. They will take care of it with a smile on their face.

-NIGHTLIFE

FUN! You are constantly drinking so beware. The bars are beautiful and you can find one to suit your mood. They have bars on the beach, at the pool, in the main houses and also at the night club nicoles.

If you are from a major city, you will find Nicoles to be very cheesy and annoying. But the Piano Bars are great and drinking down on the Riviera side is fun by the ocean.

-OVERALL

This was our first time to Sandals and I would go to another one of their resorts based on my experience. Its a lot of fun. Don't be uptight, if anyting bugs you about the resort or service, let a manager know and you will be fine.

HAVE FUN AND DON'T LET TRIP ADVISOR STRESS YOU OUT!

FYI, the only reason I am not giving the resort five stars is in my opinion, the honor should be left to the type of resorts that caters to the extreme luxury like the Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed February 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,742)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

I don't even know where to start? We had the best trip ever!!! We can't wait to go back.

I won't get long winded here but we loved every moment of our vaction. I will be brief.

1. Room=great and comfy! We had a villa in the Manor Side and loved it. It was clean and nice and we had a great balcony looking over a pool with comfy chairs to sit in. When we were in our room we were either asleep in our comfy bed or on the deck drinking Red Stripes and listening the tree frogs.

2. Food=wonderful. There is so much variety. We just read the info in our room and knew what was open when and planned our day from there. Great buffet lunches with salads, soups, pasta, fish, you name it, they have it. The breakfast buffet was great too (cold cereals, TONS of fruit, pancakes, eggs, pastries and the best cheese ever). There is an a la carte breakfast on the Manor side, Orchids, that we liked too. The person that posted below just had to be a fool because I ate some wonderful and healthy food. I did not notice an abundance of pepper. It was excellent food and a ton of variety. If you can't find something to eat, then you are just silly.

3. Butlers=Great! We loved Trudy Ann and Franklin. We consider them friends now. They did everything they could to make sure we had anything we needed at any time. And they are so nice and friendly, we loved talking to them and hearing about Jamaica.

4. Pool on Manor Side-perfect! We also loved the cabanas as we are not sun worshippers.

5. Golf-Perfect. We are golfers and golfed 4 days out of the 7 we were there. We thought our caddy was excellent and was very helpful with tips on the course. We actually requested him every day we played and one day he played with us (he is a amateur golfer in Jamaica) and is excellent! Golf was nice and affordable and did not play very slow (we played very early in the morning).

6. Drive out, we got a private car booked thru Sandals. It was the way to go!! The drive is 2-2.5 hours. If you don't want to drive 2-2.5 hours, stay in Montego Bay.

7. Activities-we kind of stick to ourselves but had a nice time participating in some. This resort has it all. You can party the night away or just relax.

All in all. I LOVE Jamaica, Jamaican food and the Jamaican people! I can't even believe people don't have a great time here. You have to be crazy not to? I am somewhat picky and I could not complain about 1 thing. Not 1 thing I would change.

Just read the posts here, they are all honest. Jamaica is not for everyone and neither is the Caribbean. I LOVE the Caribbean and this is one of the best spots I have been. I see MANY more trips to Sandals Ocho Rios in our vacationing future!

email me if you have any questions:
aebabcock@yahoo.com

• Stayed February 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2006

It's been nearly 8 months since our return from Sandals Grande Ocho Rios, but I still dream about the best trip of my life. It was a perfect way to get married and spend a honeymoon.
When we first arrived in Jamaica at the Montego Bay airport, we were warned that the bus ride to Ocho Rios was nearly 2 hours. No problem, we bought some Red Stripe beer and enjoyed our ride through the coutryside and along the ocean.
We got to the resort and the first thing that grabbed my attention was how beautiful the grounds were. Everything was manicured, the flowers were unbelievable. We relaxed the first night taking in one of the many great nightly performances and eating on the beach.
The next day we met with our wedding coordinator, who couldn't have been better at her job. Everything was set up just the way we wanted it. The rest of the day and following day were filled with sun bathing, sailing, and scuba diving.
My wife and I got married overlooking the ocean underneath a gazebo. It could not have been a better day! The receptions was great as well. We had some tasty snacks and toasted with champagne and a great vanilla cake. When we got back to our room, the made had sprinkled flower petals across our bed and left another bottle of champagne for us!
Overall, this was a fantastic trip. The staff was always very friendly, we never had a single problem. By the end of our stay, several of the staff even called us by our first names, which made it even nicer.
The only bad thing about the trip was leaving the resort...but we're already planning an anniversary trip.

• Stayed June 2005
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2006

My husband and I were married on January 7th, 2006 in Houston, TX and stayed at SGOR from January 8th through the 14th for our honeymoon. We had the most wonderful, romantic vacation!

We stayed in a Grande Luxe Plantation Villa with a pool and butler service. Our trip started out to a slightly rocky beginning, but it was no one's fault but our own. A word of advice: when you get to the Sandals lounge in the MoBay airport, stick close to your luggage! You check your luggage in with the Sandals staff and they have baggage handlers that pile 8-10 guests' worth of luggage on a cart and take it to the bus for your resort. My husband and I were in the restroom when they called the bus for SGOR and by the time we got out, the baggage handler had already taken our bags to the bus. After figuring out what had happened, we walked out to the bus parking lot, hoping to spot our bags. We couldn't find them anywhere, so we headed back to the Sandals lounge. We were very nervous, terrified that we'd lost all of our luggage in a foreign country. The only baggage we had was my carry-on from the plane! The Sandals staff at the lounge was VERY friendly and helpful and confirmed for us that yes, our bags had been put on the bus that had just left! We felt so dumb for not "knowing" what everyone else seemed to know.... stay with your stuff! We were put on another (empty) bus, and after about 15 minutes, a bus driver came, introduced himself, and told us "no worries, mon!" He gave us a private bus ride to SGOR, complete with commentary info on Jamaica and the sights we were seeing. When we got to SGOR, our bags were waiting in the lobby as soon as we arrived, and the staff had been informed of our mix-up. They went out of their way to answer our questions and help us to relax after our ordeal. Bottom line: stick close to your bags in the airport! We weren't afraid of them being stolen once we checked them in with Sandals' staff, but we didn't know we had to follow them to the bus!

After a few minutes in the lobby, our afternoon/evening butler, Sadiq, came to show us to our room. The suite was beautiful, complete with a kitchenette, stocked bar with the liquor we'd previously requested, a bottle of champagne, a lounge/living area and a beautiful bedroom and spacious bath. For those who are concerned that this isn't a "five-star" room, remember that you are in Jamaica! This isn't the Plaza in NYC with crystal chandeliers. It is a clean, tropical, bright, beautiful room with a very comfy four-poster bed, hardwood furnishings, tile floor, etc. We had plenty of hot water, clean sheets and towels, a mini CD player, etc. We had a TV in our bedroom and also one in our lounge. We never turned either TV on. We went to Jamaica to relax and enjoy the beginning of our marriage... not to watch TV!

Sadiq showed us around the suite and made us feel so welcome. By this time, it was 9pm and we'd been traveling all day, so we were exhausted. He brought us a room service menu, made sure we had all of our bags, and gave us a little bit of information about the butler service, how to get in touch with them, etc. We were too tired to go find a restaurant for dinner, so we ordered room service. Within 15 minutes, our food had arrived, hot and delicious. We ate out by the pool and spent our first evening relaxing. A small note: our pool was secluded, but not private. There was another couple staying in an adjoining room, but we only ran into them once during the whole week!

The next morning, our daytime butler, Andre, called to introduce himself and then came to pick us up and take us to breakfast. We were seated immediately at the Manor House buffet, where the food was wonderful. We attended the orientation in the Manor House at 10am and got information on all of the different tours, excursions, restaurants, etc. We found it to be very helpful. Upon return to our room, we called Andre, who helped us to set up an itinerary and activities for the week. We spent the day exploring the resort, going down to the beach, enjoying the pools, hot tubs, etc. By the time we got back in our room later that afternoon, Andre had prepared our itinerary in calendar format so that we could use it as a reference for the whole week! The butlers made all of our dinner reservations for us, and were very flexible when we requested changes, information, etc. They really made our vacation experience a grand one!

Throughout the course of the week, we ate at almost every restaurant on the resort. We ate a TON of jerk pork and chicken at the Beach Grill and even bought a Jamaican cook book in the gift shop to bring home and learn how to recreate the wonderful food. If you're hungry and want to eat a full meal, order every course in the restaurants at dinner. We ordered it all, from salad to soup to entree to dessert and always left full and satisfied. The house wines were delicious, so we didn't really have a reason to order one of the extra-priced "specialty wines," although it was nice to have the option.

Every night when we returned to our room, our bed had been turned down and on most nights, Sadiq covered our bed with flower petals and folded the bath towels into romantic shapes, such as hearts and swans. It was such a special and thoughtful gesture and we found ourselves excited to get back to our room every night just to see what he'd done!

Sadiq and Andre were so helpful thoughout the week. They were always available to answer questions, make reservations, give us a "lift" in a golf cart, show us around, etc. We never had to wait in line anywhere!

The Heritage Beach Ride was great. We took a bus up into the mountains (about a 30 minute ride) and rode horses down a trail with a guide who told us about the history of Jamaica and the area we were touring. We rode the horses in the ocean, which they loved! We then rode them back up the mountain again. For Texans, riding a horse wasn't a big deal in itself, but there were a lot of first-timers there and the Heritage staff was very good at giving instructions and calming peoples' fears. We had such a great time!

We also did the Dunn's River "Booze Cruise." Unfortunately, it rained the night before we went, so the snorkeling portion of the cruise was cancelled because of poor visibility. The staff made up for it by taking the catamaran out further so we could enjoy a longer boat ride. They were so friendly and enthusiastic that we didn't even miss the snorkeling portion! Dunn's River was beautiful and so much fun! My husband and I kept looking at each other wide-eyed, exclaiming that no one at home would EVER believe that we climbed a 1000-foot waterfall! If you do the Booze Cruise, keep in mind that the catamaran crew and the Falls tour guides are separate, so make sure you have enough cash to tip both sets, as they are not part of the Sandals staff. The party was swinging on the catamaran on the way back to SGOR. The crew kept us laughing and dancing!

We originally intended to do the Blue Mountain Bike tour while there, but in the end, we decided that we really wanted to relax and not try to pack too much activity into our vacation. We were being lazy and enjoyed every second of it! The staff was very helpful in cancelling the tour, but be forewarned that there is a 24-hour cancellation policy. We cancelled our tour 2 days beforehand so we were fine, but if you cancel any tour with less than 24 hours' notice, you WILL be charged for the tour!

My husband is a scuba diver, so he went on a reef dive while I went to the spa to get my hair braided. He said that the diving was OK, but unfortunately, because of the Jamaican economy, overfishing is a problem and they have not preserved their coral reefs very well. They have just started to worry about conservation and preservation over the last few years, so the reefs are starting to come back, but they are nowhere near the caliber of the reefs in Cancun and other places in the Carribbean. If you really like to dive, you'll enjoy yourself, but this is not the place to take a "diving trip," solely for the purpose of scuba diving.

I enjoyed getting my hair braided at the spa. I have long, thick hair, so it took 2 spa ladies about 2.5 hours to braid my whole head! It looked great when they were done and they kept me laughing through the whole process, so I didn't get bored. Note: tips for spa staff are added to your spa total when you check-out, so don't worry about giving them a huge cash tip! You're already paying for it!

On our last night in Jamaica, my husband and I scheduled couples' sunset beach massages. We went to the spa at the manor house and each got undressed and put on soft, luxurious spa robes. For some reason, it didn't "click" with us that being on the manor side of the resort meant we'd have to travel down to the beach for our massages. Walking through a resort and down a beach wearing nothing but a spa robe was a little un-nerving! They were very professional about it though and made sure to put us on a private bus to go down to the beach side. They dropped us off on a side path, so we never had to walk through any highly public areas in our state of "undress." At first we were nervous about it, but then we figured, hey, we're on vacation! Who cares? We laughed about it with the massage therapists who told us that some people are nervous at first, but then, it's "eye-rie mon." We were never "exposed" at any time, despite it being on the public beach. The massages were great and SO peaceful. The water lapping around us and the sunset setting were just beautiful. We left completely relaxed.

That night when it got dark, we had a candlelit dinner on the beach. They set up small private "tents" on the edge of the water. We chose from a pre-set menu a few days before and had filet mignon, which was excellent. There was chilled champagne and a long stem red rose at the table for me. The moon was full that night and our waiter was great. He would appear to serve us and describe each course as it was served to us and then back off down the beach, close enough for us to call him if we needed him, but respectful enough of our privacy to make us feel like we were the only two people on the beach. It was such a special and romantic meal! My husband and I agreed that it was the best dinner we'd had since the night we'd gotten engaged! We returned to our room and found that Sadiq had not only sprinkled a path of flower petals and decorated our bed, but he'd run us a warm bubble bath and filled our room with candles! What a great end to our trip!

Overall, we enjoyed SGOR so much and we'd love to go back there. The bars were all great and if you get a chance and are so inclined, order a pina colada from the Manor House bar! Also, if you have room service as part of a butler suite, order a cheese tray! They are a delicious and fresh snack and we ordered one almost every day we were there! Andre and Sadiq were superb butlers and our wonderful vacation is due in great part to their services. We were so sad to leave to come home, but we will always have great memories of our romantic honeymoon! We'll go back again any day! If you have any questions, feel free to email me. Hope this helps you!

rochester, mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2006

My girlfriend and I traveled to SGOR in January. While she will most likely write a more in depth explanation of our trip I too, wanted to express my satisfaction with this resort.

This was my first experience with Sandals or an all inclusive resort in general. I found the size (huge) of SGOR to be very appealing to my likes. I never felt as if I was confined to one small resort. There are many options for eating, swimming and of course, Drinking!

We booked the cheapest manor side room and were upgraded to a Riviera cottage. This was great! If I ever went back I would definitely like to stay on the Riviera side because you have the convenience of many pools, hot tubs, bars and most importantly the beach and watersports. It is very nice to be able to quickly walk back to your room when you are out at the beach or take a quick nap and then head back out for some watersports. It was very Ideal for us. If you want more privacy I would say go with a villa upgrade. But when you are on the manor side you basically have everything in one building its not as convenient for spending the days out on the beach. We met several people staying on the manor side who came to the beaches everyday and said they wished they were on the Riviera.

As far as food, drinks, service, etc...........We had absolutely no complaints. I am by no means a picky person, however my girlfriend is and she had the time of her life. Be open minded and be friendly!

Things to do:

1) I was very excited for Dunn's River Falls however it was not as exciting as I expected. Waiting for groups was slow. The climb was not too hard. Too many tourists for my liking.

2) Take advantage of the watersports on the resort. Especially the snorkeling. There is great clarity and a plethora of things to see right off shore where the boat takes you. Coming from someone who has snorkeled and dove in the Great Barrier Reef, "I found this to be very fun, especially for a first timer". And these things are free, so sign up early and often.

3) For day trips, I recommend A-Z Jamaican tours. ---- and request Mickey! I set everything up before hand and found it cheaper and much more convenient than doing trips through sandals. Also, you can have them set up day trips for you where you do several activities in the same day.

All and All we found this trip to be wonderful. We are 24 and 23 years old and found that we were some of the youngest at this resort. It did not matter to us a bit. Be friendly and relax and show some interest in the jamaican culture and you will be surprised what you learn.

We made a great friend there and if any of you run into Peta-Ann Dwyer (playmaker) be sure to tell her hello from Tony and Bryana. She is a wonderful person.

Sorry so long, feel free to email at tbatz21@hotmail.com.

Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2006

Where do I start?

When reading this review please bear in mind that we paid £3,800 for what was supposed to be a 5* Resort!

Having stayed at a Sandals resort in St Lucia a few years ago where we had a fantastic time we decided to try SGOR in Jamaica.
The resort is sold as one resort however they have joined two resorts up as one. The only way to get between resorts (safely) is by a bus that operates approx every 15 mins.
Upon arrival we had been booked into a "Luxury Villa with private pool"; by the time we were taken up to the room on a golf cart we found out that no one had the key to our room. We waited a further 15 mins for a key to arrive. Now the room certainly was not "luxury", the lounge was pointless as it only contained a sofa and trolley with a few bottles of spirits upon it. Surely the TV should have been in the lounge?? A kitchen was also available which amazed me as it is all inclusive?? The bedroom was ok apart from the very noisy air con unit. Bathroom ok but all in need of redecoration.

Pool Area:

Very nice pool with swim up bar. The bar took ages to get served so you just gave up and went to the bar in the Manor house.

Restaurants:

All the restaurants are dreadful! Service, food and decor appalling!! Having read some of the other reviews on this site I am surprised to read that some people actually think the food is good? Apart from the very small portions it is generally served cold and looks and tastes completely different to what is should be? The steaks must be about 4oz and not cooked as requested. The Italian Restaurant (Valentinos), having traveled around the world including Italy I can honestly state that this does not resemble Italian cooking, very drab, boring, dry and unimaginable food!!!!
The grill bars that are open 24 hours are the worst fast food you could possibly ask for.

Conclusion:

If you want to spend a load of money on a 2* resort and get truly unhelpful miserable staff then this is the place to go! Or do what we did and ask to be moved to the Sandals Dunns River Resort! This was to be our savior. The resort, food and staff made it a holiday to remember. Completely chalk & cheese! Also found out from a few members of staff that they always hear bad things about SGOR from other guests that ask to move.

• Stayed January 2006
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2006

The best vacation yet!
My wife and I have travelled to Cuba, Cancun, Vegas, Orlando, LA, NY...etc...etc. This was by far the most relaxing and best-served of the bunch.
At Sandals Ocho, they GET customer service. We didn't want for anything.

The "Highs:"

People. From Nattoya (she's a riot), to Latoya, to Peta-Ann, Duran, Benjie, Clive, Susan, and Basil...all fun-loving and accomodating.
The visitors. We met folks from St. Louis, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Fla. Everyone was a joy to be around.
The grounds. Spectacularly well-groomed and maintained. Just strolling from our Beachgrove room to the fitness centre, the beach, restaurants, amphitheatre was a treat.
The food. Breakfast was great at Bayside. Lunch from the grills always good. The best for dinner was San Gennaro's. Didn't get to Orchids or Valentino's, but I heard pretty decent things about both.
Our cabbie. Call for Dalton if you have to find an ATM in town. He's a great guy and works hard.
Dunns River Falls. A little crowded but still fun to do. Check out Grizzlie as your guide; the man was born with "noooo problem mon" on his lips. He's a hoot.
Activities. If you want to be left to your own devices, they'll let you. But if you want to participate in the fun, I think you'll get the most out of this resort. The piano bar was great. Our favourite activity was probably the staff/visitors talent show.
The outdoor theme nights. Don't miss either the Carribean Night or the Beach barbecue.
The gym. Very well stocked with treadmills, eliptical trainers, free weights and Nautilus. Have Bishop help you out.
The atmosphere. Always friendly. At no time did we feel uncomfortable or pressured by staff. We tipped. Not a lot. Couple of bills here and there, but it was worth it. We also brought souvenirs from Canada (couple of t-shirts, pens, pins) that were very well recieved. The staff really appreciated the gifts.

The "Okays:"
Airport. Coming in...no problem mon. Leaving? Very slow; very disorganized. Be prepared to line up three different times. The capper was they had one x-ray line open and the guy running it split everyone up into two lines. I pointed out it was just one line, and he just shouted "Two lines!" Ah well. Check in is also about three times slower than from home.
Bus ride in: Take gravol if you get car sick. It's a long, bumpy, swerving trip. Still, our dirvers were great and had a marvelous sense of humour.
Shopping. Not much in downtown Ochi. Lots of t-shirts and knick-knack stores.
Golf. I was very surprised by this. The course layout is very strong, but the conditions were subpar. The greens particularly needed work. Caddies were very good though. Also they say golf is free to Sandals' guests. After renting clubs, I forked over $85 for the round.

The "bad:"

NO ATM. Bring cash if you need it. We had to hail Dalton to take us into town. $20 for the cab fare and bewar, some of the bank machines only dispense Jamaican dollars.

Hope this helps...I know we'll be going back!

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!