My wife and I just returned (10/23 - 10/28) from a trip to SGR and it was one of our best vacations. We stayed in a Club Level room on the Rivera (Ocean) side (Room 4524). The room was very nice but what made it special was the view of the ocean. The water was so clear and blue I found myself just staring out and getting lost in the beautiful view. We did not feel the need for a butler and found the Club/Concierge to help us with anything we needed including restaurant reservations and any other questions we had. Our bar and fridge were stocked daily with Appleton Rum, Red Stripe, juice, soda and fruit juices.
First I need to mention the staff. From the moment we arrived on site everyone was so nice and outgoing. It started with the Club Level Manager Jason checking us in and walking us down to lunch while they finished preparing our room. While at lunch at Neptune's we met Michael Spicer who sat with us and gave us the low down on where to go for food and drinks. Then that evening before dinner Courtney (a trainee) walked us out to Kelley's because he said it had the best views for sunset, he was correct and provided us helpful advice through our stay. Others that stood out were another trainee Lennox who seemed to work at all of the bars and was always kind and creative with drinks. Alex and Tyrone made the Ochi Beach Bar our favorite stop every day, Alex was so outgoing he lost his voice after a particularly fun afternoon. I also have to mention Ilene and Jadae at Soy, they both welcomed us with a hug every time we saw them. As I stated above every staff member was extremely nice and willing to go out of their way to help us. There was not one (reasonable) request we made that was not granted.
I will admit I am not the best to review the entire resort as it is very large and we spent most of our time down by the ocean. Both of the pools on the beach side are very fun with bartenders that try to get people involved in games. The one afternoon we went to the Manor (hillside) pool we found it to be very spread out and a little more relaxed. Conversely the beach side pools are much smaller but the Ochi Beach pool opens up to the ocean so there is a little more room to spread out.
I am not the best to review the food as we ate at Soy almost every night for dinner or appetizers. My wife and I huge sushi fans and thoroughly enjoyed the food at Soy. Armondo the sushi chef was fantastic, they offered a large number of rolls along with fresh fish. We had breakfast over the water at Kelley's which we found was temporary due to refurbishing that was going at some other restaurants on the beach side. The other food was good, in talking with other guests we rated it as a little better than Applebee's or Chili's. This was about what I would expect from an all-inclusive resort. What we did find was they will try to accommodate all of your requests. For example there was a group of 10-15 watching the OSU-PSU football game at Sundowners and one of the staff members brought us a plate of sandwiches and chicken wings without asking.
One thing that surprised me was how quick you could go from the Riviera to the Manor sides, the buses ran on a regular interval and took you from the Riviera front door to the Manor front door then to the Ochi Beach Club. Also, it is very hot and humid down there and the only bar with AC was the piano bar.
It would be difficult to not have a good time at this resort. It is not perfect but you definitely get what you pay for with good food, top shelf drinks and great staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Situated on over 100 acres of lush hillside gardens overlooking the Caribbean Sea•529 villas, luxury rooms and suites with fantastic mountain and ocean views•94 pools (7 large public pools), 22 whirlpools•16 dining options including room service for butler serviced suites•2 luxurious Red Lane Spas•Complimentary golf at Jamaica’s most elite and popular golf course, the Sandals Golf & Country Club (Transfers to the golf course are included)•Over 5,000 sq. feet of first class meeting and conference facilities•Recently completed US$60 million renovation/refurbishing exercise•Voted Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row•Voted Sandals Grande Riviera ‘Jamaica’s Leading Resort’ ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Hotel Ocho Rios
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach And Villa Golf Resort
- Sandals Ocho Rios
- Ciboney Ocho Rios
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Resort Jamaica/Ocho Rios