This is a really good resort, worth the visit and worth returning to.
The setting of the resort is beautiful, the sea, beaches, mountainous surroundings etc.
The staff are professional and courteous.
The rooms are very nice, comfortable beds and relatively spacious.
There is an abundance of activities which really adds to the whole experience. I was pleasantly surprised that with an all inclusive resort it really was all inclusive and there was not too much aggressive selling of optional extras. Ken was a great tennis instructor, Bill was a very helpful golf pro and the diving team were very capable and good fun.
Plenty of nicely situated bars and restaurants, the drink was top shelf, well prepared and plentiful. Andre's bar by the pool on the seaside was a favourite during the day and the main bar in the garden side is very relaxing in the evenings.
The food is good in the main. If you stay away from the grill restaurants which don't seem to be serving very fresh food and stick with the pizzerias during the day and the likes of the sushi restaurant, valentinos or preferably china doll you will have a pleasant dining experience for the entirety of your stay.
The biggest downside of the resort is the mis information and inconsistency of messaging regarding the activities. You will get your information from the website, from the info stands around the resort, from the daily activity schedule handout and from staff but these are rarely a clear and consistent message. I enjoyed my stay so I won't bash this too much but I would encourage you before thinking you are going on a 2 tank dive on a certain day or taking a sailing lesson at a certain time etc to ask and ask again.
Our transfer home was 30 mins late at 4am - a bit frustrating, and our driver appeared suicidal. We had heard they were crazy drivers but nothing will prepare you for how irrational and erratic your driver and others on the road are.
On balance we will be back and would be willing to visit other sandals resorts and other places in Jamaica based on our maiden experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Situated on over 100 acres of lush hillside gardens overlooking the Caribbean Sea•529 villas, luxury rooms and suites with fantastic mountain and ocean views•94 pools (7 large public pools), 22 whirlpools•16 dining options including room service for butler serviced suites•2 luxurious Red Lane Spas•Complimentary golf at Jamaica’s most elite and popular golf course, the Sandals Golf & Country Club (Transfers to the golf course are included)•Over 5,000 sq. feet of first class meeting and conference facilities•Recently completed US$60 million renovation/refurbishing exercise•Voted Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row•Voted Sandals Grande Riviera ‘Jamaica’s Leading Resort’ ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach And Villa Golf Resort
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Hotel Ocho Rios
- Sandals Ocho Rios
- Ciboney Ocho Rios
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Resort Jamaica/Ocho Rios