“LOVED it!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

You added Sandals Ochi Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | P.O. Box 771, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Booking Bonus!
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Margaree Harbour, Canada
“LOVED it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The staff is outstanding, the grounds are beautiful!!! Our room was updated and we had a villa with 2 wonderful butlers Joseph and Stanford! Our room was super clean and the staff is so friendly! I cannot say enough about the food, everywhere we ate the food was delicious! Our butlers took care of us like we were royalty! They booked all our reservations at the restaurants and all the excursions! The catamaran cruise to Dunn's river Falls was so much fun!! What a party on board on the way back!!!

Room Tip: villas with a butler!!! Hillside is quieter!! We had the best butlers...Stanford and Joseph!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,742)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

If you don’t have time to read this whole review, at least take away these important tips (I’ll touch upon each of them in more length in the full review):

1. Stay in the lower area with walking beach access (Great House is NOT in the lower area)
2. I won’t tell you explicitly to NOT get a butler, but I know first hand that you absolutely don’t need one to have a great vacation.
3. Get a cabana on the beach for at least one day. Get there early (between 9-10am) because there are only two on the beach.
4. Get the weekly WiFi access. It’s annoying that it’s not free, but you’ll avoid costly data charges and you have access pretty much everywhere on the resort.
5. Catch the steel drum band. It’s not what you think. Amazing. (They played Saturday night in the amphitheater while we were there).
6. Find the best seat in the restaurant and ask to sit there. They always try to seat you in what seems to be the worst seat. But they’d always accommodate us when we’d ask if we could be seated by the window, by the railing, etc.
7. Don't let some of the negative reviews scare you. If you're not completely uptight and hard to please, you'll have an unforgettable time.

Before our trip I poured over reviews for Grande Riviera (as I’m sure you’re doing right now). Some were excellent and some were terrifying. I didn’t know what to think or what to expect, and we even second-guessed ourselves. But we couldn’t turn back.

So if you read nothing else (or even worse, everything else), just know that you’re going to have a GREAT time, particularly if the weather cooperates. Everything will be fine. It’s not going to be horrible (like some people claim it was). It probably won’t be 5-star perfect either (they’re humans, they make mistakes). It will fall somewhere in between, but closer to 5-star than 1-star. Regardless, you’re in paradise. The temperature is perfect. The scenery is beautiful. The employees are genuinely nice, funny, appreciate their jobs and truly want to provide you with an enjoyable experience. There are no kids to annoy you, and you may even meet some new friends. It will be great. Don’t worry mon!!

===============================================
Full Review

OUR ROOM
Our biggest regret was that we stayed in a room without walking access to the beach. If we could have changed one thing, our room choice would have been it.

A week before a trip we got a call from the resort offering an upgrade to a butler-serviced villa for something like $500 extra. Since my wife is pregnant, I intentionally chose the Great House Oceanview room because it was close to a few of the restaurants and the largest pool. When we arrived, they told us we had been given a free upgrade to the villa. I was apprehensive, but some people had written reviews saying that butlers are almost a necessary evil because there are things you can’t do or get if you don’t have a butler (that’s not really true), so I was willing to see the room. Plus, it may have meant a quieter stay. I stress, “may have.”

They brought us by jitney (golf cart) up to our villa. It was nice, but no bigger than a standard room (it wasn’t a “suite” with multiple rooms). However, we could CLEARLY hear a great deal of noise outside. As we walked to the balcony and opened the doors, we saw a fairly large construction site not a stone’s throw away from us. Jackhammers galore were so loud that we could barely hear each other talk. We told our butler that this was completely unacceptable and we wanted to move to a different villa far from the construction. She told us that wouldn’t be possible until the following day. That was not okay, so we told her to find a manager. We ultimately demanded to be “downgraded” and put in the room we had originally chosen and booked.

They brought us back to the Great House and up to our room (there’s only one floor with rooms—the top floor). While we waited for our bags to return, my wife went downstairs to talk to a manager to get everything straightened out. They ultimately found a villa on the other side of the resort (still in the upper area), but we passed. We had now been there for over an hour and had yet to unpack. We just wanted to get in our room and get our vacation started! They did give us room service, which isn’t available to guests without a butler. We never used it (the menu is very limited).

To be fair, once this situation was resolved (and they did to as much as they could to make it right), the rest of our stay was flawless.

POSITIVES – With the Great House Oceanview room, the view itself was the best part. Every morning we’d wake up, open the doors, and just let the sun pour in. The pool would be quiet with the bar staff setting up, and the ocean would be calm and blue every day. I still miss the view.

Also, since you’re close, the largest pool, 3 restaurants and a bar are all within steps of you. If you’re not an ocean person (and thus don’t need to trek down to Ochi Beach club too often), this might be your best bet. Our room was cleaned in the morning and turned down in the evening. We didn’t have a butler and I’m really unsure what we missed out on.

NEGATIVES – (Distance) Since my wife loves the beach, it was unfortunate that we had to wait for a bus every time we wanted to go down to the beach. The map on the Sandals website depicts the separation between the upper and lower parts of the resort with what seems to be a dirt path. It’s not. It’s a very main road, and gates separate the two areas. You can’t walk from one area to another. You must wait for the bus. Though to their credit, about 75 percent of the time we’d show up to the bus stop and the bus would pull up within seconds. Only a handful of times did we wait, and we never waited more than 5 minutes.

(Noise) Being in the Great House and near all the action by the pool and the bar, it gets noisy. There’s music from the pool every day, and when there’s a DJ it’s louder. Shutting the door will significantly cut down on the noise, but won’t eliminate it. We took some naps around 5pm each day and had no problem (with the doors closed). The first night (Wednesday) there was Karaoke at the bar until 1am, and it was pretty obnoxious. But they ended promptly at 1am, and we were still winding down anyways, so it wasn’t that big of a deal. The rest of the nights were very quiet and we had no problem going to bed.

Ultimately, we were pleased with the room but wished we had stayed somewhere in the lower area, possibly in the garden villas which seemed so peaceful yet so close to the resort. I definitely would have sacrificed the view for the convenience. If you stay in the lower area, there really aren’t any views unless you have an oceanview in the main building, which I presume are quite pricey. So get the cheapest room in the lower area and enjoy being so close to all the real action (pool, beach, bars, restaurants, watersports, amphitheater, basketball court, etc.).

BEACH, POOLS AND RELAXING
Every day we’d take a bus from our Great House room to the Ochi Beach Club. You really don’t have to bring anything. They have chairs, towels, and it’s pointless to have your wallet since it is a cashless resort. The first day we got a beach cabana (there are two) for $125. I CANNOT STRESS how great of a purchase this was. WELL worth it, for a few reasons.

The cabana itself is a fully shaded bed about 4 feet off the sand (there are steps to walk up) and maybe 15 feet from the edge of the water. You also get two padded lounge chairs right next to the cabana if you want to lay out. With the cabana, you have two servers who will bring you food and drinks all day. If it’s on the resort property, they’ll get it for you.

Our primary server was Olmando and he was AMAZING. He took care of our every need, was funny and fun to talk to, and even got us reservations at Kimonos (the hibachi restaurant). We made it a point every day to say hi to Olmando, even though we only got the cabana on the first day. I’ve never met a more pleasant hotel employee.

Also, with the cabana, you’ll get two 15-minute massages (one per person). Two females came by around 3pm and brought us up to a different cabana by the pool and massaged us. It was very nice and great added value, since a full massage for two people is upwards of $270. I suggest doing this (or any spa services) the very first day. We burned pretty badly (I was stupid to go swimming before putting lotion on—my fault), so massages were out of the question after the first day.

I can’t stress how good of an investment the cabana was. Our cabana neighbors had done it multiple times. One day was enough for us, but well worth it.

Each of the following days we’d head down to the pool adjacent to the beach. It was the perfect place for us. We had the pool, the beach, restrooms and Neptune’s grill (with ice cream) just steps away. There were a ton of other pools, but we wanted the beach close by. It was paradise.

FOOD
One of our concerns prior to our vacation (after reading some of these TripAdvisor reviews) was that the waits would be long and we’d be treated like second-class citizens, unable to make reservations because we didn’t have a butler. Let me dispel some of these myths.

First, there is one restaurant on the pier that is only available to guests with butler service. Big deal (I say that sarcastically). The ONLY other restaurant that requires (or even takes) reservations is Kimonos because it’s hibachi. All the rest are walk-up.

Second, we never had to wait for a seat at any restaurant. Maybe we didn’t go during a busy time (March 20-24), but getting a table was “no problem mon!”

None of the restaurants blew us away, but all of them were very good. They do have small portion sizes, so make sure each person orders a course (appetizer, soup, entrée, dessert…everything). Don’t be afraid to ask for two of anything either. The servers just want to make you happy.

TIP: As I mentioned at the top of this review, always find what you consider to be the best available seat and ask to be seated there. Seemingly at every restaurant they’d sit us as far away from the windows as possible. We’d simply point out a specific table and ask to be seated there, and it was always no problem mon! I swear they try to “reserve” them for butler-serviced customers, but can’t technically say no to a non-butler-serviced couple.

EVERYTHING ELSE
Because my wife was pregnant, we decided not to go on any excursions. We did have some fun playing HORSE on the basketball court and some games of pool (neither of which we ever really do at home).

Bring cash to tip the baggage handlers (from the airport to your bus) and the driver of your bus from the airport to the hotel. Other than that, we didn’t tip. We probably would have but once we realized that the hotel literally doesn’t accept cash, even at the gift shop, we locked our wallets in the safe. We did pay off our final bill with cash though.

They offer a lot of activities in the evening. Try to go to them all, if for no other reason than they’re well attended so you get a good vibe. Again, the steel drum band is can’t miss. I lost my voice singing and cheering so loudly.

I know this was lengthy, but hope it helps! We’d definitely recommend Grande Riviera to friends.

Room Tip: Great House Oceanview (where we stayed) has a great view, but I'd suggest staying south of the m...
Stoughton, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Our stay was 3/19-3/25. I have to say I think we got very lucky getting in and out of customs when we got to MBJ. I think it took longer to get out luggage then it did to get out of the airport. We headed right over to the Sandals Lounge they will tag your luggage as to what resort and category you are. It was very nice and we enjoyed a few red strips (I did not see any Rum Punch) with in 15 mins we were called and heading towards our shuttle. the bag handler definitely lets you know you need to tip him but I didn't find it pushy at all. From reading reviews I knew the bag handler and the bus driver were separate so I have him our tip and got on the bus some of the other ppl handed him 10/20 but thought he was the bus drive too. The bus drive is pretty long but my friend and I just chatted it up with some ppl on board and took in the view. We did make the rest stop and didn't mind too much actually got a Strawberry Daiquiri (8USD) for the rest of the ride.

Once we arrived the dropped of on the our side 1st were stayed up on the Villa's. We were met by and nice cool wash cloth that had an amazing aroma to it and definitely perked us up after the long ride. Our Butler Kadesha met us with and great smile and took us to our villa. She had everything lied out for us to look and a few things for us to sign but nothing too time consuming. she gave me a weekly planner to fill out with things that I had already knew we wanted to do and through out the next few days we would update it with what restaurants to and things to do. All my butler preferences were there. Even a Btl of Champagne and some cheese and crackers I requested. At these point I also notice the room was missing the table and chairs I seen in the picture we did have one big chair and coffee table. We booked the St. Anne's Poolside Villa. but think we got the Estate Poolside Villa and later it was kinda of confirmed when we started talking to our neighbors a few days in to our trip who had bookd the Honeymoon Estate Poolside so i'm pretty sure we go down graded. Our Villa was 7424. After that we went down to the Manor pool start or VACA!! The staff even from the get go was very accommodating and once they find out you are just staring your vacation I swear they turn it up a notch :)

For Dinner the 1st night we wanted seafood so Kadesha Suggested Neptuens. They definitly had seafood but I will tell come the end of the week I didn't look at my planner I totally forgot I had even gone there. We enjoyed Kelly's one night and the food was okay the combo app that everyone gets was soso and very dry not very 5 star. Our entree's were okay too they over cooked my boyfriends Fillet but I will tell you the red-wine Demi glaze is amazing!! Also one other perk that I found out that night is that you can pretty much get a surf and turf no matter what. I added a few shrimp to my steak and really enjoyed it My boyfriend was supposed to have gotten Mahi Mahi and Stk but got shrimp instead but considering the kitchen is on the other side of the beach from the dock we didn't mention it. Our server Micheal was great very tentative and professorial. I loved when he came walking over my table with my glass of champagne on his head!! lol We enjoyed Kimonos Junior was our chef and he was fun but it really did take about 2.5hrs for the whole service and the table that was next to us that sat after us had finished before us. Tex was also at the next hibachi beside ours and made the time pass by just enjoying his show. I wasn't too impressed with China Doll and that really amazed but that was another one that if i didn't look at my planner I totally forgot we had gone. We ate at Valentino's on our last night and that was the saving grace. If we had gone there the 1st night we probably would not have gone anywhere else. even though it was an entree I asked if i could get the scallops for an app and they had no problem accommodating for my entree I got the Rack of Lamb my boyfriend got the Caprese for his app and the Gorgonzola stuffed Fillet. So Yummy! One night instead of a restaurant we did the Beach party but I definitely would suggest eating at a restaurant then going for the show. the food was not bad but I just would of preferred to try an other restaurant over the food they had. The Show was amazing and scary lol the fire dancer/eater had my heart in my throat and lefty and righty the one legged pirates were very entertaining definitely have a video recorder on hand for all the performances. The Silverbird steel band blew my mind and the dancers were top notch! The Shows are a must see. We even joined in the game one our last night for the most compatible couple contest we didn't win but we didn't loose either and it really made our last night more memorable. We enjoyed Jamies' sports bar a few nights and just sitting on the dock or on the beach really help you to sink it all in. We also used our pool at the villa everyday whether is was in the morning waiting breakfast (we got breakfast delivered a few times) or at night after all the excitement of the day.

the 1st day we got there I we had the butler book us a couples massage on the Bluff per another review I had read and was told it was the best. we booked on Tuesday for an 11am Massage on Thursday they ask that you get there a half hour early so we did. When we got to the spa we filled out some paper and undressed put on our robs and was told that are ride would be there shortly to get us to go up the the bluffs. at around 1115 the girl told us that they were sorry but that there was a wedding on the bluff and that they were not aware it. I was soo upset but they assured us the the up level of the dock on the beach would be just as good so we did that one instead. We did enjoy it but once we actually seen what the bluffs was I was definitely let down. One more thing if you book a service out side be prepared to walk by everyone on the beach, in the lobby and on your way in your robe. We also did the catamaran to Dunn's River Falls and really enjoyed it. We went on the 9 am trip on Sat which I do suggest because it wasn't too crowded at all.

For the Butler we had 2 Kadesha/Devine they were both great but I don't feel that we utilized them as much as we could of and we only got our room done up 2x during our 6 night stay. Some couple had something new every night. I figured it was because we weren't celebrating anything special. They did do a great job and always had cheese and crackers or a fruit dish in our room and every night we had a btl of water by our bed. We also noticed butlers seating their guest in the restaurants and we only got that on the last night. even the beach party we seen butler's actually finding a seat for them but we were just walked up to it and told to find a seat.

The white party/chocolate buffet were excellent we didn't stay for the show after but enjoyed the event.

The Manor Pool was our favorite but really all them had a great fun vibe and staff. Pizza on the beach side was better than on the manor side in our opinion but took much longer. We also really enjoyed the soft serve ice cream and actually took one for the road the day we left. the bus driver on they way back was much better than the 1st he filled us in on all sorts of info and help the time go by. Check in went very easy at MBJ and we did get the Club Mobay pass and glad we did it was just much more relaxing and just being able to make a few phone call and use the wiFi made it worth it. We didn't have any thing from the bar but believe me we had enough all week.

All and all it was a great trip just the little buts that got in the way but we just sat back and didn't sweat the small stuff. I would still go back in a heart beat!

Room Tip: You can not close the bathroom windows which isn't a real issue but the A/c is only set to 70 an...
Marietta Ga.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and work very hard and do not get away very much. We booked at trip to Sandals in Ocho Rios, Jamaica at the Grande Riviera. This was the best thing we have done in years, had the best food,drinks and the people were the best of all. Always wanting to please and make your stay the best time you ever had. The resort was outstanding with the flowers and gardens, the site was well maintianed. We had such a good time we booked another trip for next year at the same time. We checked in on line and everything was ready for us no waiting. We hit the pool within a hour of the time we arrived. Counting the days.
Rick & Sherry Reed

Room Tip: The rooms with a ocean and pool view was very quiet, and has good A/C
Joplin, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was our second year in a row coming back over sprink break. Once again, we were not disappointed. This resort does a great job of mixing relaxation with adventure. When you're here, don't miss out on the late night entertainment at the amphitheater, the free snorkeling/scuba diving, the catamaran cruise to Dunns River Falls, or the great food at Kimono's (I hope you get Chef Tex!). Above all else, the staff are the most helpful and friendly of anywhere we've been before.

Room Tip: If you are choosing to stay in the Bamboo Grove building, try to ask for a room on the 4th floor. Ev...
niagara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We travelled to Sandals Grande Riviera from March 9-16 2013. This was our 6th trip to a Sandals or Beaches resort and went with mixed expectations based on our past travel experiences (all good) and reviews on here (some bad).
The Arrival: We arrived 45 minutes early! YAY!! We only waited about 30 minutes through customs and immigration and then we were off to the Sandals lounge where we filled our Bubba Kegs with beer and had a quick sandwich. Then we were off to the bus (about 10 minutes). There were four couples on the bus and we chose not to stop on the way to the resort. We arrived in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I fell asleep on the bus ride (we had been to Ocho last year). Our driver pointed out some interesting sights on the way to the resort to pass the time.

Check in: We stayed on the Beach side and the entrance is nothing spectacular but is clean, and gives you that resort/beach feeling. Having stayed in concierge before, this check-in was a little lack-lustre. Pretty much, sign the papers and off you go. We did get some champagne and a cool towel upon our arrival.

Room: We booked a Bamboo Grove room and requested to NOT be on the ground floor. Well sure enough upon our arrival we were on the ground floor – the closest to the entrance for the building. I thought that it would be VERY noisy. The room was nice but quite small. We walked around the resort for a while and then decided to ask if there was an upper floor room for us. Within 20 minutes they had us on the second floor, in a much bigger room – I was very happy here.

The Beach: There is very little beach to walk here but what they do have is kept extremely clean. The Ochi Beach club is a great place because it has the beach with great loungers and a pool with a swim-up bar. The bathrooms are right around the corner and Neptunes to eat lunch is right there as well. There are shuffleboard, bocce and a volleyball court at the Beach club too. This is where we spent most of our days and would probably do the same if we were to go back.

The Beach Side: The beach side is amazing. There are so many different little spots for you to hang out – many hot tubs, little alcoves, hammocks, bars, beach areas etc. I think that this part of the resort really feels like you are in the Caribbean. On this side you will find the Sundowner bar which is very nice at night – it looks out to the ocean and has gas firepits. The bartenders here are great too. This side also houses the amphitheatre, where there is nightly entertainment (we really enjoyed the reggae night with Peter Lloyd).

The Manor Side: We frequented the Manor side of the resort as well. The main pool here is very large with a big hot tub. There is a rock climbing wall here too (which we tried – it’s much harder than it looks). This side feels more like a hotel rather than a resort but the staff is just as nice and it is very well kept. There are white tents at this side of the resort where they held the returning guests dinner and the “beach” party because it was windy down by the beach.

The Food: We found the food very good. We ate at most of the restaurants with our favourites being Sabrina’s (great anti-pasto bar) and stuffed lobster and Valentino’s (there was a 45 minute wait here). We also ate at The Reef Terrace, Soy (for appetizers), The Bayside, the beach party (buffet – but VERY good), the SSG dinner. All the food was very tasty and we thought the portion sizes were enough but if you don’t – just ask for another one – no problem!

Activities: We went snorkelling, did some paddleboards, played outdoor games and caught many night shows. There is a lot to do if you choose, or you can do nothing (also a favourite of mine!)

Overall: We loved this resort and would definitely go again. There were some people that made our time there extra special and fun. A thanks goes out to TYRONE at the Soon Come Back desk – he was awesome. We sat with him at the SSG dinner and made sure to catch up with him everyday after that. Erroll at the Sundowner bar mixes great drinks and is a great guy to talk to. We had a great time and can’t wait to go back. The drivers from the beach side to the manor side are great too and we NEVER had to wait longer than 3 minutes for a shuttle to come.

Tips: One day a Cruise ship came into port and there were some rowdy guests at the resort – this kind of turned us off a little but they were gone by dinner, so no harm done there. If you are staying on the Manor side, looking onto the tennis courts can be very noisy as this is where the butler golf carts are parked and they are beeping constantly to back up. Don’t miss the chocolate buffet on Wednesday night – YUMMY – it was really the only dessert I ate all week – besides all the fruity drinks and it was well worth it.

Have fun at this resort and don’t believe the bad reviews. If you are relaxed, you’ll have a great time.

Room Tip: If staying on the Beach Side - Stay in the Bamboo Grove for a quiet room!
Canadian, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had never been to Jamaica or a resort like this. I read the reviews for weeks before our trip, and had several concerns and expectations based on the reviews. I realize now that some people are so difficult to please that those negative reviews are actually a reflection on the writer, not the resort.
My wife and I went for our 25th wedding anniversary and stayed 3/10-3/17, it was great! We had a group that included my parents, in-laws, daughters, and my son and his new wife. The group functions that were planned for us were great and we loved the alone time through the day and the group time at dinner. The food was very good, the service was outstanding and friendly. I did pay for a couples dinner, and absolutley loved it!! We were seated out on the pier with great service and really good food. I would recommend the candle light dinner if you can get the same location. I am not really a water person, but I enjoyed the watersports and "Nemo" was really great to be around.My wife loved the beach and snorkling and was very impressed by the reef and fish there. We also played golf. The course is very nice, with greens that are not as good as the course is. The greens are very slow, but golfing was decent as were the caddies. We had 2 different caddies who were hard working, but not always closely involved as they were unable to ride our cart and would fall behind, or we would find ourselves waiting. This was not their fault, but it would be nice to play at a good pace and have the caddie involved. The entertainment was good and the steel drums were great! It was difficult to schedule dinner for the group and still make the start of the shows, or chocolate party. If you want to make these events you should schedule dinner early.
We stayed on the manor side in a butler suite. I would do it all again. The butlers "Richard and Jeremy" were fantastic. I did not realize that personal butler really meant that 7 couples share a butler. A demanding couple or two can have a very real impact on your service. Richard and Jeremy did a great job, but at times I really felt for them as they were asked to do the impossible and serve so many at once. I would like to see management give proper consideration to the time spent on each couple, and make adjustments when needed. The same problem also came up with bus and jittney service following the shows or events. There should be transportation considerations for the added demand. We waited for the same bus for three trips after a show. Once again the staff were doing all they could, but were overwhelmed at certain times. I do believe that these small problems could be fixed very easily as the schedule is set and the demand for transportation is very predictable. I am being very picky here, but it would eliminate the only negative I found.
Once again, thank you Richard and Jeremy and all the staff for making this the best vacation of my life so far! The next one will be even better at Sandals.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!