“Loved The "Manor house Ocean View One Bedroom Suite"” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
World Travel Award!
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Inuvik, Canada
“Loved The "Manor house Ocean View One Bedroom Suite"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This was one of numerous stays at this resort starting in 1996, we have stayed in different level room but I must say the "Manor house Ocean View One Bedroom Suite" is by far the best bang for the buck. Very large, beautifully furnishes, conveniently located and just all around a wonderful room. The concierge service was poor to none existent. The rest of the resort staff made up for the bad concierge so we left feeling good about the room. We would diffidently stay in this room level again knowing that to be happy we would have to expect nothing from the concierge service.
The upgrades to the resort are unbelievable. The resort has gone from a low 4 * to a high 5*. The Private Candle Light Dinner's are wonderful, even second time around. The Soon come Back Dinner was a lot of fun as usual.
Helpful tip, large resort not for everyone, get and use your map. Jitney and shuttle service works good to great.
Lots of fun with something for everyone, what ever you would want the resort will have it, check the daily activities. Great accommodation with so many choices. If you do not like your room ask for a room change. The same with the restaurants so many choices.Our favorite restaurant was The Reef Terrace, but of course this is a personal thing. The pizza's are great for lunch and the two pizza huts are conveniently located.
Leaving and moving on to the Royal in Mobay was hard but we left knowing it will only be a matter of time and we will return.

Room Tip: large resort, not for everyone, use a map
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,571)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We loved our experience at the Sandals Grande Riviera.

We waited in the lounge for 10 minutes, then got immediately onto the shuttle for the 90 minute drive to the resort. Was not an issue and was actually a nice ride along the coast.

We stayed at the Riviera side and really enjoyed it. The room was updated and comfortable. The fridge was stocked with water, juice and pop (we tipped our cleaning lady a nominal amount and bottles of wine appeared for the remainder for the trip)

The restaurants were all excellent for an all-inclusive resort. Kelly's was definitely the stand-out as it's location is incredible and the food was excellent. The Reef Terrace has a tremendous secluded location, view and super Jamaican food. Soy (sushi) was also excellent and Kimonos was a lot of fun (teppanyaki). Book Kelly's and Kimonos as soon as you arrive

The golf course had a great layout and decent conditions. The caddies were great guys and made the walk pleasant and a lot easier! The shuttles takes you there in about 15-20 minutes and the comes at regular intervals. We played each round in less than 4 hours.

The beach side is great. Mulitple areas to hang out - anything from party to chill; beach to pool. The Manor side is obviously newer and the pool area is incredible.

Everywhere, we found the service to be incredible. Longest wait at any bar was maybe 3 minutes and there was always someone cleaning up, raking, wiping down, straightening out, etc. The restaurant service was cheerful, prompt and liberal with the pouring of wine (house is berringer estates - not great but not bad)

The only negative about the resort would be the internet connection...not reliable, slow, sticky keyboards. We were simply checking email (young child at home) and were very frustrated by the service. Very small complaint in the grand scheme of things.

As for excusions, Dunn's River Falls is a must. Beautiful attraction...be wary of the aggressive salespeople. We had perviously done zip-lining on a different vaction so we opted for the Bobsled/tram ride - it was a HUGE disappointment...was $80 for essentially a beautiful view and one bobsled ride down. INSANE rip off.

At the end of the day, I would highly recommend the resort. I'm truly baffled as to how people could trash this place.

Chesterfield, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

If all you read is my first paragraph please believe me when I say this resort was truly spectacular. From the moment we entered the grounds we were treated like royalty. I read many reviews (the good and the bad) but all I have to say is GO....you won't be disappointed (unless you choose to be disappointed). We were there March 30th - April 7th with nothing but 80-85 degree weather with sunshine!

I was concerned about the bus ride as I get motion sick, but our ride from the airport was just fine. The roads are paved and at times windy but certainly not as horrific as some made it out to be. My husband asked if we'd be heading right to the resort (our plane had been delayed out of Boston) and the driver said "if you all want to get right there we'll make a direct trip". We arrived in 1 1/2 hours exactly. The bus was air conditioned and really nothing to worry about. We did stop on our way back to the airport for people to use the restrooms and grab a drink, which was fine. The resort schedules your return ride and we left the resort @ 11:00 a.m. for a 3:30 p.m. flight.

We stayed on the Manor (villas) side. We were meeting our dear friends there (they arrived at the resort at 10:30 and we didn't arrive until 7:00 p.m.) and we hadn't eaten. We were met at the resort with cold towels (I didn't need one as I was perfectly comfortable) and taken to the Concierge lounge. I would strongly recommend the Concierge reservation. Georgia, Charlette and Simone took the most wonderful care of us all week. They are 3 beautiful Jamaican superstars who bent over backwards for us. They searched us out near the end of our visit for hugs and pictures. They smiled, joked, told stories, entertained us and were just so sweet. They had our luggage sent to our room so we could grab dinner, as we hadn't eaten much all day. We went to the Marketplace Restaurant where Delrose (hostess) told us there would be a 45 minute wait. We said we were starving and she told us to wait right there. She disappeared and came back with a plate of warm breads and butter and sent us to the bar upstairs overlooking the pool and said she'd come get us when the table was ready. How thoughtful! She came and got us before we'd even finished the bread.

We were in the Bourgenvilla Conceirge Villas. Gorgeous upstairs villa (with our friends right next door as requested) with a balcony overlooking the private pool. We enjoyed the pool every afternoon after our daily activities and before we headed for dinner. We met one couple below us but never really even saw the other couple. The room was so spacious, fully stocked bar with wine, liquor, juices, sodas, waters and beer. We had towel animals made for our beds each and every day decorated with fresh flowers. Ice was delivered to our room, every time we asked for it, within minutes. Housekeeping and turndown service was terrific and towels refreshed throughout the day. We loved the villas as the atmosphere was quieter. It definitely would have to be your preference. We were all celebrating our 50th birthdays (well, except for the old lady with us who was 53) so our intention was fun but relaxing and that's exactly what we got. Our rooms were so quiet at night it was amazing. Oh, and the air conditioning units were quiet but worked awesome.

To get to the Great House Lobby you simply walk to the edge of your sidewalk (we were one villa away from the road) and a jitney would magically appear. We never waited more than 1 minute for a jitney except in the morning when we usually walked down for breakfast. The shuttles to take you to the Riviera side ran about every 5 minutes. If you have to wait a few minutes it was never long and we always got a seat on the shuttle.

The pools are all spectacular but we found our favorite. A small pool on the Manor side with an upper and lower pool with a waterfall and swim up bar to the restaurant. Yup. They'll serve you food while sitting in the pool. The Staff at Dino's Pizzeria were unbelievable. The team of Sholin, Shanna & Missian were 3 of the most outstanding staff members on the resort grounds. We LOVED them and miss them. Sholin called my husband and me over while we were in the pool to surprise us with a soft serve ice cream for me and a pinot grigio for my husband. How many waitresses would do that and how many of you have had a soft serve ice cream in the pool???? The pizzas and calzones were awesome and when we asked if there were any cookies, Sholin left and went to the main restaurant and brought back a plate for us. Another day we arrived in the late afternoon and Missian said "Sholin held these aside for you" and presented us with a plate of goodies for the four of us! We graciously shared them with other vacationers :) We spent every afternoon hanging out at this pool with our new found friends. Smiling faces waited for us to get there every day and made us feel like they'd been waiting for us all day!

The restaurants were all great. I won't go into detail but as the other reviews have mentioned, make your reservations for Kimonos and Kellys when you arrive. They were both worth it but we really enjoyed all the restaurants. I think the 4 of us would agree that we liked the Reef Terrace Restaurant the best. It's not often mentioned and has beautiful outside seating looking over the pool and ocean on the Riviera side. The only wait we had for dinner was Valentinos. We had to wait about an hour, which was no big deal because we hung out in the bar. Again, all the restaurants were great and the staff at each and every one were awesome.

Excursions...we did the cattamaran, snorkeling, Dunn's River Falls trip. We did the 9:00 a.m. trip and it was so much fun. Again, I was worried about motion sickness but I was fine. The boat ride was so fun, snorkeling amazing and the Dunn's River Falls climb was a bit scary but so much fun. Very strong water rushing over your legs but the guides take wonderful care of you and each and every person helps one another. I would highly recommend booking this trip. We booked through the resort Concierge. The girls (Gloria, Simone & Charlette) couldn't wait to hear how we faired on the trip. AWESOME.

The beaches were beautiful and water was amazing shades of blue. My hubby took us each out on the hobie cat (small cattamarans) several times. Probably was one of his most favorite things. The water sports staff was attentive and kept a close eye on all the folks enjoying the boats (hobie cats, kayaks, paddleboards). On occasion they'd jump in their motor boats and rescue wayward hobie cat captains who couldn't handle the boats (even after they'd given them lessons). My husband was an expert. Our favorite ocean side view was a beautiful deck of about 8 lounge chairs that overlooked the watersports. The ocean in front of you, pool behind you...doesn't get much better than that.

In closing, we have never had so much fun on a vacation. We are already planning another trip back next year. I wish that Sandals would allow tipping, as we felt like we would have liked to give a little extra to those that went the extra mile (Georgia, Sholin, Charlette, Shanna, Missian & Simone). Sandals should be so proud of them.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
St. Stephen, NB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

My husband and I spent our Honeymoon at Sandals and really have nothing bad to say about the resort! This was our first time travelling outside of Canada and could not have picked a more suiting destination for being first time travelers. I will say that this resort is very much for people who are looking to spend quality time with one another; we are pretty young and most days were kind of bored because most people keep to themselves or the group they travelled with, it wasn't a spot for partying or meeting new people so we wished we had gone with a few people, would have been more fun; the privacy was great at times but 7 days of only really being with one person, newlyweds or not haha it was a little dragging (this is our fault, not the resorts lol).. There were bonuses to it being kind of low key and that was that the pools were never overcrowded and if you arrived at the restaurants at the time they opened you would get the best seats, no lines (rarely).. Jamaican people are so friendly and genuine!
Arrival: The next time we go on vacation I definitely want to book with a resort that is closer to the airport. We didn't mind the trip to the resort because it was a sunny day and our bus driver was hilarious and made sure to point out all the things we drove past that we wouldn’t have noticed otherwise; however, the drive back was killer (2hr bus ride when you know you have a long day of travel back home ahead of you sucked). Yes, the gentleman who totes your bags to the bus and loads them will want a tip, big deal, don't be cheap and grumpy about it, they are working hard and deserve a couple bucks! Same with the bus drivers, if you are lucky enough to have a great driver like we did on the way there you won’t mind throwing him 5 bucks. Once we arrived the check in process was a breeze, (no idea what these people complain about on here, I think some people really think they should be treated like royalty when they are on vacation and really ruin their own trip by knit-picking about everything) the woman who welcomed us was super sweet and all we had to do was fill out a couple sheets of paper, mostly so they can make sure to call you the night before your departure to tell you what time the bus comes to take you to the airport (they send up a sheet of paper also telling you when to have your bags ready, etc). The only negative comment I have is that they really should give you a tour or a map when you check in, we should have gone to the orientation but never ended up, so I suggest doing the orientation because we had no clue where anything was. Also with the long day of travelling when we got there we really just wanted to take a snack back to the room and chill out but there was nothing available that was quick and easy so that was frustrating on the first day.
Room: Loved our room! Huge comfortable bed, very nice clean bathroom with a very large mirror, balcony with a garden view (another complaint I read on here was that you couldn't open the doors, I'm not sure how people survive if they cannot solve simple problems like this! If you step out onto the balcony and move the table over a little more to one side then the doors open no problem, really took us like 2 seconds to solve that issue haha) Our A/C worked amazing our whole stay and those blinds keep 100% of the sunlight out so we found ourselves sleeping in every day! No noise woke us up at all, there were movement noises because obviously people are still working while you're sleeping but it was never enough to wake us from sleep!
Swimming: I loved there were many different options as to where you could spend the afternoon to swim. It was never crowded anywhere! The swim ups were awesome, music playing and the water was always warm! The ocean was also warm and so clear it was amazing! Yes, the beach chairs do fill up fast but if you aren't lazy and walk to the different pools or beach spots we always found a couple free chairs somewhere! And the towels were gone a couple times but there were many different places to get towels and they were always picking up the dirty ones and re-filling them and even if we didn’t get a towel one day it didn’t bother us that much, the sun dries you very quickly! The swim-up bar at the Ochi beach club was our favorite. There were a couple times when we had to wait a long time to get a drink but when you’re on vacation you really shouldn’t be in a rush for everything, you really need to get on Jamaican time and that is laid back and kinda slow haha
Food: We loved the food. Bayside was our favorite, we ate there twice for supper and thought it was better than Kelly's where we needed a reservation! Bayside had more on the menu and it was delish. They had the best selection of pastries, yummmm! The Bayside also has the breakfast buffet and lunch buffet which were both awesome, no wait to eat or order and a great selection of yummy fruits. Most places you eat outside the birds will be waiting for you to drop something for them to scoop up (I can see where this would gross some people out and upset them but I am a positive person and it takes more than a little bird to get under my skin, they were doves and actually kind of pretty, I would trade them for pigeons or seagulls any day haha)
Room Service: No matter what time we decided to leave our room, be it day or evening our room was always turned down, and a few times we had a pretty bunny or puppy made out of towels and flowers with a note from housekeeping. Make sure to bring some items to leave for these ladies in your room, they really deserve it! Someone came by every day at 10am to stock our fridge with water, juice and pop, which I didn't really expect because people on here had said they never had their fridge stocked and called about water that never arrived, this just was not the case with our room at all and we just had the basic room.
Overall: Loved the people in Jamaica. I was really impressed by this resort and really wouldn’t change anything, except maybe having a map of the grounds. My husband and I would go on the pier in the evenings, they have lounge chairs and porch swings that were just awesome to curl up in and look out at the horizon, we were always shocked that no one was out there but happy that we always had our spot every evening! We also had a room credit of $175 for the spa and enjpyed a couple's massage, do this! It was great and much needed after wedding planning! Could have fallen asleep and the ladies were soo nice! They will con you into buying products though haha, and it is hard to say no to them!
If you decide to go to this resort I would say that if you go there with over the top expectations of being waited on hand and food and you don’t have a butler suit you might be disappointed. I think you should slow down and take the time to enjoy the place and everything it has to offer, if you stress yourself out over chipped paint, cracked sidewalks, waiting for a delicious meal or not having a chair at the very second you want one you won’t have a good time. Have patience and appreciate the beauty of the place you’re staying! Be grateful because not everyone gets to experience something like that! If you have this attitude you will have a great vacation and you won’t want to leave!
Cheers from New Brunswick, Canada

Room Tip: We would have been happy anywhere but enjoyed our garden view room, we were close to the elevators a...
Lancaster, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is my first review ever. I read all the great reviews for this place....and I cannot fathom how our experience was so different. Maybe I'm way more picky than the average person....but I wanted to try to clue people in on what they are really paying for here. Before I get to the details...if you just want free food and alcohol and could care less about anything else....you will have no complaints!

We are currently still at Sandals Grande Riviera....we leave tomorrow and we CAN NOT WAIT. We came here 8 days ago for our wedding. The airport was a mess, which I expected, but the Sandals Lounge area was nice. Bus ride was a little scary but entertaining, and our bus driver was hilarious. The heckling started the minute you got off the plane, but we expected that also.

We got to the resort and waited 4 hours for our room. They lead us to a snack bar which was fine, but we quickly learned a Jamaican "minute" is equal to an hour. We were hot, and exhausted from travel...and frankly just wanted to get to our room. Our room was an oceanview( because when I stay somewhere ocenview...I want to wake up and see it...) but we were on the floor without a balcony (ask about that when you reserve!!!) View was blocked but trees also. I didnt even ask to be moved because trust me- within 5 minutes of being here, you will see what that gets you)

The food here was mediocre at best. I'm not a food snob by any means....but it all tasted like food that was straight out of plastic and reheated. There were a lot of large weird buffets filled with yucky food. We finally had a good meal at the Dockside place, which we had to make a reservation for on Saturday, to eat on Tuesday. If you come here anyway...the snack bar at the Ochi Beach Club was pretty good.

Our wedding was fine because we wanted a calm, quiet and short ceremony. The scenery was what we really cared a about.

One part of the resort- and NOT a small part (an entire beach/pool/side of the resort)- was closed each day because of a "photo shoot" for a magazine. Would have been cool to have a heads up on that. Entire resort packed onto one side of the beach...not enough chairs etc.

One of the worse parts of the entire trip was the relentless hackling for you to go to the spa, or play games, or register for a photo shoot etc. I really wanted to tell them they should focus on what we already paid for....it was ridiculous. Most of the staff is friendly and nice, and they just mock you most of the time (which they think you don't catch on to....lol) They either help you, or straight up ignore you.

The spa here was gross. Massage was great....because it's a massage...but the spa was not spa looking in any stretch of the imagination! Creeped me out a little to be honest.

We are small town, humble, easily pleased people..we just really expected more for what we paid for. I recommend this resort for 21 year olds, or anyone who just wants pretty scenery and doesn't care about much else. We were ready to leave after two days. To top it off, our return flight was canceled (OUR TRAVEL AGENT CALLED AND TOLD THE FRONT DESK AND THEY NEVER TOLD US) Our travel agent called our room directly and we had to go inform the front desk...which of course, they did not like) I'm too scared to ever try another Sandals Resort!!! They have a great marketing campaign, but that's about it.

Room Tip: Oceanside WITH A BALCONY (make sure you specify that!)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
SRICS, Manager at Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Warm greetings from Sandals Resorts International! You are very important to us and we welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please e-mail us at (customerservice@sandals.com). We look forward to hearing from you. Warm regards.
Halifax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We were married at Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios, Jamaica on March 21, 2012 and it was the most perfect week ever! We were in a villa - gorgeous - and much more than we expected. The suite, #7229, was called the Tropical Paradise Estate Poolside One Bedroom Butler Suite. There are tons of pictures of suites and villas on the Sandals website but nothing as massive and lovely as this. I cried when we arrived and again on the day we left. - paradise! Our suite took up the entire first floor of the villa. Upstairs were 2 other suites which we were supposed to share the pool with but no one ever used it but us.

BUTLERS: When we arrived we were brought to a lovely concierge reception room where we sipped yummy rum punch for a few minutes until our butlers arrived to collect us. They took us right to our villa in a golf cart and the luggage came separately. They offered to unpack and iron for us which we declined. They gave us a cell phone so that at any time we could contact one of them for whatever we needed. We rarely used it because they anticipated our every need so perfectly. Sometimes, they would call us in the middle of the day just to ask if they could get us anything, take us anywhere, or just to make sure we were happy. We had 2 main butlers (Keone Israel & Nadine Miller), plus a beach butler (Olmondo) - FABULOUS people - all of them! They were wonderful and treated us like family - as did every staff member we encountered on the resort.

VILLA: Our villa was huge and beautiful, granite everywhere, lovely furniture, super comfy bed, big beautiful bathroom, fantastic kitchen, stocked to the nines with everything you could ever drink. And every day the butlers would bring a special snack treat and leave it in the fridge just in case we needed a snack (jerk shrimp, fruit & cheese tray, cold cut tray, etc).

WEDDING: We eloped so were not travelling with anyone so Sandals provided witnesses for us (our wedding planner and another lady). The wedding was handled perfectly by our wedding planner. The resort photographer did an amazing job on our pictures. When we got back to our villa, our wedding cake was all wrapped nicely and in our fridge - great midnight snack with bubbly.

FOOD: The food in the restaurants was great. Lots of it, hot and really good. It helped too that one of our butlers would pick us up with the golf cart and escort us right to our table every night. The butlers made all our reservations for restaurants, spa, cabanas, etc. Whichever restaurant we ate in our butler made sure our table was beautifully decorated with flowers - such a treat.

ENTERTAINMENT: The nightly entertainment is fantastic! Extremely talented singers, dancers, comedians.

RESORT: The resort itself is massive, so much to see and so beautiful - truly a garden of eden. We enjoyed as much of it as we could and plan to go back again. If you don't have a butler, not to worry, there are these great little trucks called Jitneys that travel constantly up and down the hillside and all over the resort - non-stop service and people seemed to love it.

LOVE IT! I could go on for days about Sandals. It is a gorgeous 5-star resort and our butlers made it the experience of a lifetime!

Room Tip: Get a butler - worth every penny and more!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

My husband and I travel with a group of friends every year to different places, and I have to say that, we had a ball in Jamacia at Sandals. We had a gorgeous suite, with our own private pool that had a wonderful view of the ocean and the resort. The room was clean and stocked with our favorite drinks. The food was good and the drinks were excellent. The service was great, we made a couple of new friends. I can honestly say, from the time we arrived until the time we left Jamaica, Sandals treated our group with a smile at all times. I would definitely recommend this resort for a great vacation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Resort? Share your experiences!