“what a wonderful wonderful place” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sun & Spa Special
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“what a wonderful wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This Hotel is small and exclusive and the most elegant, romantic and beautiful place. Fabulous food beautifully prepared and presented. The staff are outstanding. I cannot fault it in any way at all and would dearly love to return one day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
denver, co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

You ever hear so many positive reviews about a movie that your expectations were through the roof, then you were a little bit disappointed when you actually saw it? I started to feel that way when we first got to the Jamaica Inn.
Please read this entire review before thinking I did not enjoy my experience there...

When we first arrived, we were greeted warmly by the reception staff. Promptly given a tour of the property and then shown to our room. While we were being shown the room, we were brought our complimentary welcome drinks. My very first impression of the room was less than outstanding and I was afraid that the resort would not live up to all of the glowing reviews I had read and lofty expectations I had in my head. The following is a list of the negatives I noticed about the room/resort, some of which are beyond the control of the staff.
-It is located right near a busy street and you can hear traffic, like trucks downshifting, cars revving engines, honking, etc, from time to time while you are relaxing on the beach (there are also some dogs near by that will bark loudly occasionally). Also, the resort isn't within walking distance to any stores or restaurants. Have to pay for a driver to get to just about anywhere. Although, if you want to eat at a great Italian place, ask the front desk to make a reservation for you at Evita's - they provide a free car ride to and from. Good food and great view too. BTW, if you want the name and number of the best taxi driver to use for just about anything, let me know.
-The 'king' beds are actually two twins pushed together. Not a problem for most people unless you are 6'3" like me. This is common outside of the US.
-There are tiny bugs all over the place. They were all over our bathroom sink and many places on the verandah and our closet. Within a day, we just learned to deal with it and realized this is a tropical place and it comes with the territory.
-Fan on the verandah broken, only worked on high. Ended up not being a problem as we only used it on high but maintenance never came by like they told us they would.
-Toilet seat broken
-Actual room was not 'large' by any means. Premier Verandah Suite. It took no time at all to figure out that unless we were changing, showering, or sleeping, we were either on the verandah or not even in the suite at all.
-When showering, water temp would swing vastly from warm to scalding hot. (resort is 50+ years old and I'm sure has old water pipes/system).
-Although having very good food, the menu is quite expensive (and limited for long stays) for the average Joe (like me). You can look on their website for menu pricing. As an example, the French Toast ($8.50) consisted of a single slice and this does not include any sides like fruit or a muffin or juice. Again, tasted very good, just on the pricey side for us.
-Spa. We did get a couple’s massage for our anniversary. The location was fantastic, right over the water. The masseuses however, left a little bit to be desired. Neither asked if the pressure was ok. Mine seemed like she was having a bad day, just had an unpleasant demeanor. She also went too long a few times between adding more oil, really felt uncomfortable on my legs as it started to pull on the skin and hair. She just seemed like she was going through the motions. Definitely not one of our better massages.

Now let me go over the positives of this resort. (Basically every thing else!)
-Beach. 700' of private, premier Jamaican sand and surf. I regularly heard locals, tour guides, etc, talk about how this was one of the best beaches in all of Jamaica. There were plenty of palapas for people to lay under in the shade. I know it was offseason but we never saw more than a half dozen people enjoying the water. Free kayaks, snorkel gear, paddle board, etc. There is a decent reef to snorkel around on the west side of the property. Nothing world-class by any stretch, but considering it's right on property, it is more than adequate. I saw dozens of colorful fish, urchins, rays, and even a lionfish. Some great fan coral & brain coral too.
-Staff. With only a couple of brief exceptions, we had great experience with the whole staff. Very professional, friendly, and eager to please.

Take advantage of the boat service to Dunn's River Falls. We went with Marvin. Short 20-30 minute boat ride to the falls. The best thing about using this service is that you arrive before the crowds. We got to climb the falls (with a guide) all by ourselves. By the time we got done and walked down to the bottom, there was a conga line of at least 30 people hand in hand going up the falls. So much better with just the two of us. He will offer to take you snorkeling too. Honestly, it wasn't any better than what is right there at the resort. Jamaica isn’t exactly a snorkeling/diving mecca anyway.

Our room. We stayed in a Premier Verandah Suite (#20) on the west side of the property. Our verandah was literally right on top of the water with the coral reef. We made friends with a bird (named him Wilbur) who would visit us every morning for breakfast. We would toss him some bread. Sometimes he would eat it, sometimes he would use it as bait to catch fish. Wilbur is a smart bird.
Best view on the property for sunsets. You did hear the music from the Sandals resorts every night, although it would end by 11:00 which was the same time the band at Jamaica Inn stopped. The verandah itself is the same size as the entire rest of the suite including bathroom and closet. Loved just sitting out there watching the sun go down, boats go by, water lap over the coral, etc.
The cleaning staff was top notch. The room was always very clean, fresh flowers, and they even gave a turn-down service every night. One lady even showed us how she makes the swans out of the towels. Saturday night we were surprised to walk into our room and they had left about a half dozen lit candles throughout the room. So romantic.

To sum up, the Jamaica Inn was fantastic. If you are a person who enjoys a quieter, less hectic, relaxing vacation (and have the budget), I can't think of a better place to go. There are plenty of mega all-inclusive resorts for the people who enjoy that type of experience. On one of our excursions, our van stopped by one of the Sandals resorts to pick up a couple and we saw more people wandering around the lobby than were staying at the entire Jamaica Inn. There are only 48 rooms in the entire resort. The staff numbers near 150, do the math...
I loved not having to get on an elevator, walk through a crowded lobby just to search around for an open lounge chair to enjoy the beach.
I don't know if we will ever go back to Jamaica as there are many other Caribbean destinations we want to visit. But if we ever did, I would not even think about staying anywhere else but the Jamaica Inn.

Room Tip: West side suites have great sunset views but are closer to the nightly band and the music from the o...
Millsboro, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We came here when a friend of ours had a destination wedding at the resort. I was very impressed! It was a very clean and peaceful place. The food was one of the best all-inclusive buffets I've ever had, and the restaurant's food was delicious as well. It was a shame we could only stay a few days, but next vacation my wife and I take may be bringing us back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

As other reviewers universally stated below, the Jamaica Inn is outstanding. The staff is wonderful and extremely accommodating. We especially enjoyed Donald, the waiter who took care of us most of the time. He’s been at the Jamaica Inn for 45 years, which is a testament in itself—and he’s not the longest serving staff member! (The beach bartender has been there for 54 years.)

The rooms are very nice and the beach is spectacular. I would easily recommend it to friends who are seeking a luxurious, quiet & classy resort. This is not the place for people who are looking for a stereotypical Caribbean all-inclusive party resort. They do have snorkeling gear and several kayaks and surf board things that you stand up on that could be taken out, all free and without reservation. Otherwise, the main thing to do at the Jamaica Inn is simply relax.

As some have noted, after a week, the menu can become a bit repetitive. It’s not an expansive menu, so you find yourself repeating meals. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing as the food was all very good.

There was a band at dinner each night. Unfortunately, it’s the same (not great) band night after night. They even played the same songs each night—mostly in a the style of elevator music. While we enjoyed our nightly “name that tune” game over dinner, the evenings would have been much more enjoyable (and we would have been more inclined to hang around after eating) had there been some musical variety. (On 1 night the band was mixed up a bit with a different keyboardist and singer and those guys were great.) Jamaica Inn is so good though that even the eh band is sort of endearing and charming.

The rooms are very classy and are true to the overall traditional elegance of the Jamaica Inn. They all open onto their own verandah, with a couch, table, desk and fridge. All aspects of the room were very comfortable. The only thing I would change would be to add a small ceiling fan to the balcony as it would have made it more comfortable when the air was still in the evenings.

When booking, I was very confused about the differences between the “superior balcony”, “deluxe veranda” and “premier veranda” suites We picked the superior balcony suite and were very happy with it. The only difference that we could tell was that the verandah suites are on the first floor and have larger verandahs than the second floor balcony suites. (It should be noted that the balconies are NOT small—so this was not a problem for us.) On the other hand, when walking through the resort, you can see right into all of the first floor verandah suites, often even interacting with the occupants as they’re RIGHT THERE, whereas our balcony was a bit more private. The difference between the deluxe and premier suites seem to be that the deluxe suites open onto a grassy lawn that while premier opens directly onto the sand.

Keep in mind that this is a very small resort, (+/- 55 rooms). Our upstairs suite was one of the furthest from the sand but was still less than a 30 second walk to the beach.

Room Tip: When booking, I was very confused about the differences between the “superior balcony”, “deluxe vera...
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just spent 5 days at Half Moon in Montego Bay and 4 days at the Jamaica Inn. No comparison!!! The Jamaica Inn is the place to be in Jamaica. You will feel so welcome and the staff is absolutely wonderful. This hotel is smaller and has a family owned feel, we even met one of the owners during our stay and were offered a bottle of wine by the manager. We stayed in Cottage 3 and it is the most wonderful experience we have ever had: very private cottage feeling like your own little villa on the beach, heated infinity plunge pool, private access to the beach... I would like to thank again all the staff for making us feel at home. Spa was wonderful right on the ocean...Great excursion with Marvin on a private boat tour to Dunns River Falls and snorkeling. The beach is raked and maintained every morning, the rooms are well kept and flowered daily. 5 course dinner was very good quality with lots of choices. Amazing experience, we will be back at Cottage 3 for an anniversary...

Room Tip: Cottages are the way to go!!!!
georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Trust the reviews on Jamaica Inn! My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay and it was great from start to finish. We scheduled this trip to spend some time with his brother and sister in law. We wanted something that was nice, easy and enjoyable for them because they don't travel as often as we do. We did not want all inclusive, that's not really our style. Jamaica Inn fit the bill. I was very, very hesitant to book here because of the name. I am an extreme germiphobe and it's always difficult for me to stay anywhere, so I do a lot of research. We have traveled all over the world and only stay in 5 star resorts. Our experience began before we ever arrived. Our flight was overbooked and we ended up arriving a day later than booked. When we arrived a day late, not only did they accommodate us for an additional night, they did not charge for the lost day. It was like coming to a relatives house, everyone seemed to be waiting on us when we arrived.
Check in was seamless, the room was immaculate! Shortly after check in a delicious bottle of wine was delivered to our room. I strongly recommend breakfast and lunch at the Inn. Beef patties are to die for. I found dinner to be a bit overpriced we had dinner at Miss T's and June plum. Both were good. We hired a taxi for a couple of days. Andrew was a perfect driver and tour guide. Make sure and ask for him if you need a driver. He was much, much better than the driver that picked us up and took us back to the airport. His car broke down on the way back, we were standing on the side of the street for about 1/2 hour. So if they send Delroy to pick you up at the airport, ask for someone else.
There were a couple of things that were lacking, however I still decided to give this place a 5 star.
A couple of bottled waters in the room each day would be helpful. Make sure to stop at the store to pick up bottled water, otherwise you will die of thirst. The spa was adequate. I had the papaya facial and a body scrub. I was disappointed with how my scrub ended. The scrub itself was fantastic it was a unique blend of coffee and clay. The clay made a nice mask over your body. Every scrub I have ever rec'd ended with some sort of moisturizing cream. This one ended with me being sent to the shower. My skin was extremely dry. I rushed back to my room to put on some body lotion. So that's the only feedback I have, pretty minor!
The Staff,OMG, The staff. I can't say enough about Marie, Sherlyne, Sheri, Kingsley, Johnson, Kenzo, and all the house keepers who took care of our room everyday. A special thank you to Ocarr, who served me almost every meal! Thank you all for making our stay and first trip with in-laws a success. We very seldom go to a destination twice, we will be returning in September for my husbands birthday. Peter thanks so much for the beautiful parting gift! Your property is beautiful. We look forward to seeing everyone in September.
Don't hesitate to book your stay at the Jamaica Inn. The Jamaican People will steal your heart. One Love!

Room Tip: Bathrooms are very small, book a larger suite if available
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ocean City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

So many reviewers have raved about Jamaica Inn that it is impossible to add anything new to the many accolades. We have just returned from a second vacation at this magnificent destination. My husband and I have been frequenting the Caribbean for over 40 years, so we have stayed on most of the islands. This was our sixth or seventh stay in Jamaica. I can truthfully say that the Jamaica Inn surpasses every other Caribbean hotel we have experienced. The lovely people who work there will charm you. The beach is uncrowded and very private, with many palapas and shady spots under trees. The hotel goes back to 1950, I believe, so don't expect contemporary pizazz. But if you appreciate simple elegance in a traditional setting; polite, friendly, and attentive service; immaculate surroundings; and delicious food served overlooking gorgeous views, then Jamaica Inn will delight you. We stayed in a Premier Veranda Suite on the west wing, number 19 right on the water, rather than on the beach. It is a perfect suite from which to feed the fish with some bread left from breakfast, yet is only about 50 feet from the sandy beach.

Room Tip: There are several beautiful villas which can accommodate more than 2 people. You might consider inq...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!