“Was a great vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Millsboro, Delaware
“Was a great vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We came here when a friend of ours had a destination wedding at the resort. I was very impressed! It was a very clean and peaceful place. The food was one of the best all-inclusive buffets I've ever had, and the restaurant's food was delicious as well. It was a shame we could only stay a few days, but next vacation my wife and I take may be bringing us back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

As other reviewers universally stated below, the Jamaica Inn is outstanding. The staff is wonderful and extremely accommodating. We especially enjoyed Donald, the waiter who took care of us most of the time. He’s been at the Jamaica Inn for 45 years, which is a testament in itself—and he’s not the longest serving staff member! (The beach bartender has been there for 54 years.)

The rooms are very nice and the beach is spectacular. I would easily recommend it to friends who are seeking a luxurious, quiet & classy resort. This is not the place for people who are looking for a stereotypical Caribbean all-inclusive party resort. They do have snorkeling gear and several kayaks and surf board things that you stand up on that could be taken out, all free and without reservation. Otherwise, the main thing to do at the Jamaica Inn is simply relax.

As some have noted, after a week, the menu can become a bit repetitive. It’s not an expansive menu, so you find yourself repeating meals. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing as the food was all very good.

There was a band at dinner each night. Unfortunately, it’s the same (not great) band night after night. They even played the same songs each night—mostly in a the style of elevator music. While we enjoyed our nightly “name that tune” game over dinner, the evenings would have been much more enjoyable (and we would have been more inclined to hang around after eating) had there been some musical variety. (On 1 night the band was mixed up a bit with a different keyboardist and singer and those guys were great.) Jamaica Inn is so good though that even the eh band is sort of endearing and charming.

The rooms are very classy and are true to the overall traditional elegance of the Jamaica Inn. They all open onto their own verandah, with a couch, table, desk and fridge. All aspects of the room were very comfortable. The only thing I would change would be to add a small ceiling fan to the balcony as it would have made it more comfortable when the air was still in the evenings.

When booking, I was very confused about the differences between the “superior balcony”, “deluxe veranda” and “premier veranda” suites We picked the superior balcony suite and were very happy with it. The only difference that we could tell was that the verandah suites are on the first floor and have larger verandahs than the second floor balcony suites. (It should be noted that the balconies are NOT small—so this was not a problem for us.) On the other hand, when walking through the resort, you can see right into all of the first floor verandah suites, often even interacting with the occupants as they’re RIGHT THERE, whereas our balcony was a bit more private. The difference between the deluxe and premier suites seem to be that the deluxe suites open onto a grassy lawn that while premier opens directly onto the sand.

Keep in mind that this is a very small resort, (+/- 55 rooms). Our upstairs suite was one of the furthest from the sand but was still less than a 30 second walk to the beach.

Room Tip: When booking, I was very confused about the differences between the “superior balcony”, “deluxe vera...
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just spent 5 days at Half Moon in Montego Bay and 4 days at the Jamaica Inn. No comparison!!! The Jamaica Inn is the place to be in Jamaica. You will feel so welcome and the staff is absolutely wonderful. This hotel is smaller and has a family owned feel, we even met one of the owners during our stay and were offered a bottle of wine by the manager. We stayed in Cottage 3 and it is the most wonderful experience we have ever had: very private cottage feeling like your own little villa on the beach, heated infinity plunge pool, private access to the beach... I would like to thank again all the staff for making us feel at home. Spa was wonderful right on the ocean...Great excursion with Marvin on a private boat tour to Dunns River Falls and snorkeling. The beach is raked and maintained every morning, the rooms are well kept and flowered daily. 5 course dinner was very good quality with lots of choices. Amazing experience, we will be back at Cottage 3 for an anniversary...

Room Tip: Cottages are the way to go!!!!
georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Trust the reviews on Jamaica Inn! My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay and it was great from start to finish. We scheduled this trip to spend some time with his brother and sister in law. We wanted something that was nice, easy and enjoyable for them because they don't travel as often as we do. We did not want all inclusive, that's not really our style. Jamaica Inn fit the bill. I was very, very hesitant to book here because of the name. I am an extreme germiphobe and it's always difficult for me to stay anywhere, so I do a lot of research. We have traveled all over the world and only stay in 5 star resorts. Our experience began before we ever arrived. Our flight was overbooked and we ended up arriving a day later than booked. When we arrived a day late, not only did they accommodate us for an additional night, they did not charge for the lost day. It was like coming to a relatives house, everyone seemed to be waiting on us when we arrived.
Check in was seamless, the room was immaculate! Shortly after check in a delicious bottle of wine was delivered to our room. I strongly recommend breakfast and lunch at the Inn. Beef patties are to die for. I found dinner to be a bit overpriced we had dinner at Miss T's and June plum. Both were good. We hired a taxi for a couple of days. Andrew was a perfect driver and tour guide. Make sure and ask for him if you need a driver. He was much, much better than the driver that picked us up and took us back to the airport. His car broke down on the way back, we were standing on the side of the street for about 1/2 hour. So if they send Delroy to pick you up at the airport, ask for someone else.
There were a couple of things that were lacking, however I still decided to give this place a 5 star.
A couple of bottled waters in the room each day would be helpful. Make sure to stop at the store to pick up bottled water, otherwise you will die of thirst. The spa was adequate. I had the papaya facial and a body scrub. I was disappointed with how my scrub ended. The scrub itself was fantastic it was a unique blend of coffee and clay. The clay made a nice mask over your body. Every scrub I have ever rec'd ended with some sort of moisturizing cream. This one ended with me being sent to the shower. My skin was extremely dry. I rushed back to my room to put on some body lotion. So that's the only feedback I have, pretty minor!
The Staff,OMG, The staff. I can't say enough about Marie, Sherlyne, Sheri, Kingsley, Johnson, Kenzo, and all the house keepers who took care of our room everyday. A special thank you to Ocarr, who served me almost every meal! Thank you all for making our stay and first trip with in-laws a success. We very seldom go to a destination twice, we will be returning in September for my husbands birthday. Peter thanks so much for the beautiful parting gift! Your property is beautiful. We look forward to seeing everyone in September.
Don't hesitate to book your stay at the Jamaica Inn. The Jamaican People will steal your heart. One Love!

Room Tip: Bathrooms are very small, book a larger suite if available
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ocean City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

So many reviewers have raved about Jamaica Inn that it is impossible to add anything new to the many accolades. We have just returned from a second vacation at this magnificent destination. My husband and I have been frequenting the Caribbean for over 40 years, so we have stayed on most of the islands. This was our sixth or seventh stay in Jamaica. I can truthfully say that the Jamaica Inn surpasses every other Caribbean hotel we have experienced. The lovely people who work there will charm you. The beach is uncrowded and very private, with many palapas and shady spots under trees. The hotel goes back to 1950, I believe, so don't expect contemporary pizazz. But if you appreciate simple elegance in a traditional setting; polite, friendly, and attentive service; immaculate surroundings; and delicious food served overlooking gorgeous views, then Jamaica Inn will delight you. We stayed in a Premier Veranda Suite on the west wing, number 19 right on the water, rather than on the beach. It is a perfect suite from which to feed the fish with some bread left from breakfast, yet is only about 50 feet from the sandy beach.

Room Tip: There are several beautiful villas which can accommodate more than 2 people. You might consider inq...
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Jamaica Inn was the first vacation my husband and I have taken in over 5 years - since we've had our children. We were looking for someplace small (no 'mega-resorts'), quiet (love the no tv/radio thing), where we could relax, do nothing and enjoy impeccable service while not having to think/worry about anything. We found all that at JI.

We stayed in a Premier Verandah Suite on the West Wing, which had large verandas directly over the sea. We slept with the verandah door open and let the waves be our sound machine. Those rooms were in great proximity to beach and dining areas. A downside was we could hear the music from Sandals/Couples across the bay, which went until about 11pm or so. Also, the band that played during dinner at JI played until 11pm, so a couple of times we tried going to bed early, the music (being so close to the dining terraces) made it a bit disturbing. We didn't love the dinner band at JI. While we knew we weren't at a music club, we were hoping to hear some reggae or some local music that really defines Jamaica (over other islands) but the selection was kind of a poorly performed, watered-down mix of various 'lite FM' hits.

Service at Jamaica Inn was great from start to finish. Sadie, our housekeeper, noticed we were collecting seashells for our daughters, and brought us a glassful of them one morning. Rupert taught us how to play croquet, which was a lot of fun! Patrice and Grey were great in the dining room. Ritchie was warm and welcoming when we arrived and he showed us to our room. Teddy remembered our room number after only one order at the beach bar and never had to be reminded again (still super sharp after 54 years at the Inn!).

Lastly, the location is gorgeous! The beach is secluded, pristine, and easily accessible. Sunsets from the west wing are out of control beautiful. A few hammocks on the beach here and there were nice, though we favored a spot under a leafy tree where we could enjoy the view, a drink or two, and a book. It was a bit of a trek to get there from montego bay airport (nearly 2 hours) and I wish we had splurged on the private car. We took a transfer/bus deal through our travel agent, and we regretted it. Took longer, had many stops along the way.

Overall, it was a lovely, relaxing vacation and we would definitely return and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Premier verandah on west wing has gorgeous sunsets, and you can feed the fish from your patio. We vi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I (both ~25-30 yrs old) stayed here for 5 nights on our honeymoon. We had a great experience. As all other reviews note, JI is a very special place with wonderful, old school charm, great staff, great beach and good food. So, in an effort to not be redundant I will try to add additional flavor that I have not seen in other reviews. Every night the house band plays phenomenal music (anything from '80s hits to reggae) until around 11 pm. We visited for the new manager's (Kyle) first week and he did a terrific job. I have no doubt that JI will continue it's history of excellence. I will note that the food and drinks were pricey (as expected in this part of the world). I will also add that the JI needs some upgrades to the bedrooms (a little drab), weight room and a general face lift as some facilities showed a little age. I certainly recommend this for couples of all ages. We had a great time and really enjoyed all of the friends that we made with the other guests, the employees as well as the owner and manager.

Room Tip: Deluxe veranda room on the east wing
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!