“Best Restaurant Ever!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 84 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Fusion, Pasta, Jamaican
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Set in an authentic 1860 Gingerbread House, overlooking Ocho Rios, Evita's opened in 1989 and has established a reputation for great service, ambiance, decor, view and excellent Italian and Jam-Italian 'fun' creations. All food is cooked to order. Celebrities keep frequenting Evita's as they really enjoy it's romantic atmosphere and, also appreciate, 'value for money'....Occasionally there is live entertainment, usually, a 'guest star' appearance.
San Jose
“Best Restaurant Ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

Our experience at Evita's in Nov 09 was one we will never soon forget! The Jam-Italian style food is outstanding; the best meals we've tasted period! The restaurant had just been decorated for Christmas complete with Christmas trees, lights, and music! Our table was outside on the balcony of this exquisite 1800's gingerbread house overlooking the town of Ocho Rios. The view was simply amazing! The service was top-notch; professional with a great sense of humor all in one!. On top of having the best meals of our life, in the most gorgeous location, we were so delighted to meet Eva herself - what a treat! Eva, thank you for everything! You have a real gem there in Jamaica; we can't wait to come back!

~Jess and Jason
San Jose, CA

Toronto
“Returning Customer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

This place is such a cute little resturant - I love it. I have been there a dozen times or more and even held my wedding reception there in January 2009. Feel free to send me private message if you would like further details for wedding reception.

You can check out the menu on line.. it has some of the best jamaican, italian and jam/ital fusion food around... I personally love the Shrimp Run Down and their pastas are really nice too. The bread and their home made cheese sauce is delicious to start the meal. The wine is very well priced - I always get the Pinot Grigio YUM!. The setting is great, the view is great, the entertainment is great and the staff are great... not too many places in JA where they pull the chair out and put your napkin on your lap.

Some things on the menu i have not tried... but I did get the bruchetta.. Once...
The bruchetta well..... isnt quite what I am used to in Italy or in UK or Canada. At Evitas its quite a small portion kinda like a melba toast round (no bigger than a toonie) with a few peices of Tomato and parm cheese... it is very cheaply priced and still tasty.... more like a amuse bouce (sp) than an appetizer.... but hey.... no biggie... just trying to avoid someone having the same reaction to me (wheres the rest of it hehehe) ... All other meals were very reasonably sized... ive even left food on my plate because the portion was so big!

Jamaica
“Correcting a few comments about Evita's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

Having been a consistent and satisfied customer of Evita's since the very night the restaurant opened 20 years ago, I have to currect a couple of silly comments titled "In the know" and "Gunfire..."

To the reviewer who wrote "In the know" ...yes, the celebrities whose photos are on te wall have all visited Evita's. Even Princess Margaret. Keith Richards of the Stones - and several other celebrities - is a regular visitor. Also, it is only natural that Eva the owner would spend more time with regulars than other guests. This is how restaurants work. As for her sitting perched at the end of the bar awaiting glances from patrons - this is definitely not the hard-working Eva I know. Colourful and a little (charmingly) crazy at times, yes. Putting herself above her patrons, no.

And now to the person who wrote the review titled "Gunfire". I doubt very much that you heard machine gunfire from Evita's. There is no bad area "down in the valley". There is only Main Street, Ocho Rios. I lived in this exact spot for thirteen years and never, ever heard a sound that even resembled gunfire. To say this is just silly. It doesn't happen. What I did hear was music coming from Evita's from people like Alvin Lee, the Stones, Hall and Oates and a host of others. You never know who you might see there actually.

It is obvious that all restaurants don't please all people. You can have your own preference and different takes on any experience are acceptable. What isn't acceptable is to mislead which is what happened here.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you, Jay, for your review.
I do appreciate ALL comments from my patrons as I can, this way, correct mistakes and keep improving the good reputation Evita’s has gained, during the last 24 years, in Ocho Rios.
Re: Overcooked fish – I suspect it must have been the whole red snapper ‘Escovietch’ because, as described in the menu, it is fried ‘CRISP’ and spicy, the old fashioned, Jamaican way. Never the less, spoke to the cooks and told them to go easier in this regard and watch also, the use of salt.
The waiter, who was on duty that day, has a slight speech problem (stutters sometimes) and your comment has further convinced me that, despite him being quite diligent in his work, he is really not cut out to be in the hospitality industry and will convince him to pursue, full time, his ambition to become an architect.
Ciao! Eva
Madison, WI
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We ate dinner here on Valentine's Day and it was excellent! It was definitely the best meal we ate on our trip.

I had what I believe was called "One Love" tortellini and it was fantastic. It was traditional tortellini in a delicious Alfredo sauce with some Jerk and other seasonings to give it a Jamaican twist. It was really, really good. My girlfriend has some sort of seafood penne dish and really liked it was well.

Without making any special requests, they gave us a table at the edge of the balcony. The restaurant is located on the side of a hill overlooking a bay and the city. It was a gorgeous view while we ate dinner.

They were very, very busy on Valentine's nights, so the servers struggled a little bit. It was just a little bit slow, but not enough to affect our experience much. I suspect that this isn't the case on most nights anyway.

They also offer free rides to/from dinner if you're staying at one of the nearby resorts.

South Florida
“Mama Mia...absolutely the best food in Ocho Rios”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

As a seasoned traveler and frequent visitor to Jamaica, I want to inform any heading to Ochie to be on the lookout for Evita's Italian (and more) Restaurant. Nestled on the hillside overlooking the beautiful half-moon harbor of Ocho Rios, Evita's should be a must on all visitors list of "must dos." The menu unveils a mouth-watering array of Italian cuisine mixed with the spicy flavors of Jamaica.

My number one choice is their lasagna covered in a rich meat sauce. For starters try the Caesar Salad and/or fresh Minestrone Soup. For dessert, the Jamaican Bobsled takes the Gold Metal. The wines list is nice, but the Jamaican Coffee really tops off a great meal. Call ahead and request a table on the porch. The view is terrific.

Dennis T. Menace