“Decent Italian” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 80 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Cuisines: Italian, Jamaican, Pasta, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Set in an authentic 1860 Gingerbread House, overlooking Ocho Rios, Evita's opened in 1989 and has established a reputation for great service, ambiance, decor, view and excellent Italian and Jam-Italian 'fun' creations. All food is cooked to order. Celebrities keep frequenting Evita's as they really enjoy it's romantic atmosphere and, also appreciate, 'value for money'....Occasionally there is live entertainment, usually, a 'guest star' appearance.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Decent Italian”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I took my mom for dinner at Evita's while in Ocho Rios since we heard so much about it, suffice it to say we were disappointed, the food was ok, just ok, not much else can be said about the food.

The restaurant itself however, needs a change of decor.

Visited August 2013
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your review, Empress.
I am sorry your expectations were much more than what Evita’s bills itself at: A Little Pasta House in Jamaica.
That we do not boast modern Miami steel décor but have kept the old Mahogany bed posts lining the entrance and bar, wood floors, wood ceilings and furniture that fits the island décor, this mainly because this is what most patrons, especially celebrities and stars, just LOVE !
Again, I am really sorry you expected something else…

Chevy Chase, Maryland
“"Best Little Pasta House in Jamaica"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The menu lists many "fusion" entrees, and boy, are they. Evita is originally from Venice, and during a very enjoyable visit, we learned that she does indeed know her Italian dishes. We were, perhaps, more entertained than enchanted by the food. Don't mistake me, it was good! It's just that one is somewhat startled by a marinara touched with a little jerk seasoning and/or allspice.

Our server was attentive and informative, the drinks were good, the ambience is perfect, and as a bonus, Evita herself dropped in, and answered a wave by coming by our table to chat.

We were there on a Friday, and returned to dine with this fine lady on Sunday. We had no long wait for food or service either night. On vacation we rarely dine at any one establishment twice on the same trip.

Don't pass this up.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you Ben for your so nice and comprehensive review!
Yes, I do remember ‘chatting’ with you and answering all the questions you had re: my winding up in Jamaica and opening, on my own, Evita’s: ‘The Best Little Pasta House in Jamaica’ where you could finally enjoy a good dish of ‘home style’ Pasta as, when I opened, 28 years ago, this was no-where to be found, in Jamaica.
I am also glad that you enjoyed the restaurant so much, that you decided to give us a second visit during your stay, in Ocho Rios....
Kingston, Jamaica
“Great Food but the wait is LONG :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Before I had our son, as our last hurrah my husband and I went to Ochio Rios last summer and had a meal there. We were able to get vegetarian options which was great. We ordered lasagna (me) and he ordered fish. We had a tomato soup to start with. It was delicious! So much so it was definitely worth the close to 1hour we needed to wait to get the food. We also needed to wait for the cheque not good for a pregnant woman. :) Evita (the owner) also came up to take pictures with the patrons. She looked glamorous like an old Hollywood star. Loved it. So I would definitely recommend eating there- reasonably priced but eat some peanuts or a light snack before you go. LOL But whatever you do go- you won't regret it!

Visited September 2012
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you Nicoise for your review and, compliments!
I am really sorry about the wait and I assure you that I am really going to do my best to find out the cause and see that this is remedied.
Arrivederci! Eva
London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced...for what you get!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I don't expect to order and have my meal delivered at the drop of a hat, but I waited for almost 35 minutes for my meal of vegetable lasagne which was the worst tasting lasagne I have tasted in my entire life..yuk!! The ackee and callaloo didn't do it for me im afraid!!!

Visited August 2013
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I am very sorry, David, that you did not like the Lasagna ‘Rastafari’ which does FEATURE Ackee and Callaloo in the menu description, as the Jamaican ingredients of this dish.
I guess ‘Different Strokes for Different Folkes’ applies in this case and I am, again sorry, that this is the ‘yardstick’ you used to measure the quality of Evita’s food.
Regarding your wait of 35 minutes for the main course: since, in the past, when a main course was delivered too quickly, we were accused of rushing our patrons’ ‘dining’ experience, we now try to let customers relax, savor their drinks and appetizers, before serving the main course, unless advised otherwise…
Riverview, Florida, United States
“Good Italian Food w/ a Jamaican twist”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our farewell meal the night before we left Jamiaca. It was a good end to an otherwise disappointing trip. Heard there might be celebrities there, but sadly none on our visit - but there is a wall of fame. Food was good, but could've used a little more sauce on the pasta dishes, but huge portions. They were out of my daughters choice so she had to re-order. Not busy when we got there so we got a select table to look out at the city. Wait staff was typical of Jamaica - slow, but adequate. Food prices were OK, but then the Gov't tax and gratuity gets added - so make sure you take the 35% increase to your bill into account.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you, Traci for your review.
Will certainly ‘tweak’ the staff to become better than ‘adequate’, so, when you decide to come back, you will be happier…
Sorry about having to add the mandatory 16.50 % GCT Tax and 10% Gratuity.
I actually tried to stop the automatic gratuity at my restaurant but, since this is divided amongst ALL the staff including cooks, sweeper, laundry, etc. I almost had a ‘Mutiny’ at the restaurant so I kept it to 10% minimum, leaving room to tip the waiter, if he/she gave good service…