“Evita's - A Class Act and a Good Restaurant too!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 79 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Cuisines: Italian, Jamaican, Pasta, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Set in an authentic 1860 Gingerbread House, overlooking Ocho Rios, Evita's opened in 1989 and has established a reputation for great service, ambiance, decor, view and excellent Italian and Jam-Italian 'fun' creations. All food is cooked to order. Celebrities keep frequenting Evita's as they really enjoy it's romantic atmosphere and, also appreciate, 'value for money'....Occasionally there is live entertainment, usually, a 'guest star' appearance.
Maryland
“Evita's - A Class Act and a Good Restaurant too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

For over 14 years I have been going to Ocho Rios for several weeks each year – I remember the first time I went…the experience was just magical as entered through the lovely outside area into the restaurants open and airy foyer. On that first evening, when I saw Eva (Evita) for the first time I thought she was a movie star – God knows she has 40 or more pictures on her wall with luminaries (stars, heads of state and just plain famous folk) from the day plastered on one the walls. The space still is magical and Eva is still a beautiful and skillful restrantuer. The restaurant has a small terrace with about 5-6 tables that overlook Ochie. The inside is just charming. The service is competent, if slow at times, be Eva is hands on – there every night and making sure the operation runs as smoothly as possible. The gourmet rundown with seafood was perfectly prepared and the Rasta spaghetti was wonderful and well balanced. Everything that ten of us ate was well prepared, fresh and flavorful, and the tiramisu – Eva’s own creation since it is a spin on the traditional recipe is to die for (don’t count the calories). There a few restaurants in Ochie – none of this quality especially that offers true Italian food – certainly not Toscanini since that seems to be on a rapid decline. Looking forward to going back – this, our 15th year. I have discovered she has conch – can’t wait to try that. May I suggest if you are staying at an all inclusive go to Evita’s for real food and forgo that “all you can eat” tasteless substitute for good food; or if you are off of a cruise ship and want a good lunch – Evita’s is well worth the stop for not only the food but for the lovely and vivacious Eva (Evita). Ciao bella!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you Eric for you detailed, informative and so flattering review!
It was a pleasure having you at the restaurant especially when seeing you truly enjoy the food.
Unfortunately, for a party of ten, when all dishes are cooked to order, it takes a little longer to deliver the order, but I try to inform the parties accordingly and, very often lighten up their spirits and get a hearty laugh, when I jokingly tell them: “the secret of a good hostess is that, by the time the guests eat, they are either so hungry or so drunk, that everything tastes good” !
Thank you so much, also, for encouraging people to venture out of the all inclusive hotels and explore what else Jamaica has to offer and make their vacation much more fun and exciting!
Ciao and …Arrivederci!
Eva

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
“you only get good customer service when you have a big crowd”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

at evitas you can look forward to an enjoyable meal,love their bread and butter,but you are not recognised by evitas herself unless you have a big crowd with you,these ppl let you feel as if you are begging them something and they are so damn expensive,the staff are poorly trained except for mr f***es who tried his best.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I am very sorry that I missed your table, but I assure you that this was not done on purpose.
I am glad you enjoyed your meal and our garlic bread, which, incidentally, we do not serve w/ butter but with a special cheese dip.
Also, Mr. Folkes who you refer as ‘mr f***es’, after working for us for 15 years has, since Feb. 2011, gone to ‘greener pastures’, in the USA.
Never less, I will keep a keen eye on my staff and try to identify who are the ‘ppl’ making you ‘feel as if you are begging them something’….
Best regards.
Eva Myers
Texas City, Texas
“Very good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The food is very good and a wonderful owner. My husband and I visited the restaurant twice while on vacation.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you, Ann, for your so nice review.
I am glad you liked Evita's so much to visit us more than once, during your vacation and I am looking forward to you coming back to Jamaica and, Evita’s, again, soon…
Texarkana, Texas
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great view, looking down on Ocho Rios. Food was excellent. I particularly enjoyed the jerk spaghetti. Eva, the owner, came out to greet us personally and she was absolutely delightful. We visited the restaurant twice during out week long stay in Ocho Rios.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you Kevin, for your great review.
I hope you return to Jamaica again, and I can then surprise you with another great 'Jam-Italian' creation…
Northern New England
“Wonderful food and view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went to Evita's early for dinner on our last trip to Ocho Rios based on Fodor's recommendation. We were not disappointed. We were there on a weeknight, early, so the restaurant was fairly empty when we arrived (one other couple at the bar). By the time we left there were other couples and a family having dinner. We were seated on the deck overlooking the city and harbor ... a very pretty atmosphere. Our server was very attentive and friendly, and Evita herself came out and greeted everyone throughout the meal. The food was both fun and delicious. We ordered red wine by the glass (the cab and the pinot noir) along with bruschetta to start. The bruschetta was delicious (love tomatoes in Jamaica!); the wine good and quite drinkable. For an entree, I had the cheese tortellini alfredo with callaloo and jerk seasoning - this was amazing! I loved the rich sauce with the native greens and the spice of the jerk. Who knew Italian and Jamaican food blended so well together? My husband had the bolognese sauce with scotch bonnet seasoning - he said it was awesome (I don't recall the exact name of his dish). We were also served delicious garlic and buttery bread through the meal. We then had espresso with a lime twist and shared a serving of tiramisu .... Evita had told us it is a unique interpretation of the famous desert, based on what is available locally. We were not disappointed! Rum infused cake with whipped sour cream filling tasted so much better than how it sounds as I write this! We left a couple of hours later very satisfied; this was our best meal this trip to Jamaica and we highly recommend giving Evita's a try!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you Sarah, for your so nice and detailed, review.
I am really happy your expectations were met and that you enjoyed my ‘fun’ Jam-Italian fusion dishes.
The sauce of the Tirami Su ‘A la Eva’, as I could not find Mascarpone in Jamaica, when I first put this on the Menu, is a combination of Zabaglione, Whipping Cream and Cream Cheese and, as you pointed out, instead of the Italian Wafers, I use cake soaked in Coffee w/ Rum & Brown Sugar AND then, for the extra ‘pick me up’, I add a shot of Tia Maria! Everybody loves this version better than the usual with a lot of ‘Mamma Mia’ exclamations!