“Loved the Villa Rococo!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Rococo

Villa Rococo
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montego Bay
Villa Rococo
Save Saved
You added Villa Rococo to your Saves list
Content Reading P.O, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #20 of 38 Montego Bay B&B and Inns
Virginia
“Loved the Villa Rococo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

Our family of seven adults just returned from a six night stay at the Villa Rococo, a lovely open air villa perched high in the hills above Montego Bay with serene views of the mountains, the city, and the bay. The villa itself is not nearly as formal or imposing as might be assumed from the website; instead, we found it to be very liveable, casually elegant, and completely charming. The five bedrooms are large, airy and nicely appointed, each has a distinctive feeling and personality, and the king-size beds are seductively comfortable. All the rooms have air conditioners and ceiling fans but we only used the fans during our visit (the fan in the downstairs yellow room wasn't working, one minor quibble).

We cannot say enough good things about the staff. They were warm, soliticious, and made us feel most welcomed. We always felt safe and secure, and never felt it necessary to lock our doors or use the safe that is in each room. Each and every one of them went out of the way to make our vacation truly memorable.

The maid service was prompt and inobtrusive. By the time we finished breakfast the rooms were cleaned and the beds made up; the linens were turned down each night, and laundry appeared freshly washed and folded without request.

Louise, the cook, introduced is to island foods and cooking. She will fix whatever you request, but we invited her to share Jamaican dishes with us at each meal and were never disappointed. I wish that I had taken the opportunity to visit the local fish and produce markets with her to learn more -- we haven't eaten such healthy meals in a long time and will defintely add jerk dishes and tropical fruits to our home menus!

Bentley Gardner is the house manager. He went out of the way to accomodate our every need and interest, and was genuinely committed to making our vacation experience as enjoyable as possible. We used him as our tour guide for trips to Dunn River Falls, Ocho Rios, and Negril and cannot sing his praises enough. His insights on the land, people, culture, and history of Jamaica enriched our visit and made it much more meaningful than our usual hotel resort experience.

There is much we missed the opportunity to do -- I personally would skip the falls at Dunn River and try a raft trip if we had a do-over -- the roads to Ocho Rios are under construction and barely passable in places, and the falls, while beautiful, are overcrowded and feel very much like a theme park; but then, the stop at the limestone caves and Columbus's landing site did make the trip worthwhile. We never did make it to the marine park to canoe or go snorkeling -- the beaches were too inviting.... Our children, all in their twenties, loved Negril, Rick's Cafe, and the cliff jumping experience.

Some things you should know. The villa is secluded, a large part of its appeal, although it is only ten minutes or so to town and the beach. However, I would not even think of renting a car. The roads to the villa are narrow, unmarked, and dangerous, and the drivers are "Jamaimaniacs." The staff can arrange reliable cab service. Plan on $40 American for roundtrip service into town or the beach -- you can negotiate better rates for multiple trips during the day. By the end of the week it all averaged out to slightly more than the cost of a rental car with none of the hassle. Day trips are extra and rates are negotiable.

Bring books, games, and magazines if so inclined, and if you have children, bring everything you need to entertain them -- the villa isn't designed to cater for their needs. There is a satellite dish with extensive programming and a television in each room and the parlor. There is also a play station set up with electronic games in one bedroom. There is a table in a shaded alcove overlooking the pool and the mountains that is perfect for tea, drinks, or playing games. The internet connection is primitive, but there are internet cafes available intown.
Groceries were more expensive than we expected. It cost approximately $500 American to feed seven adults for the week. However, the food was plentiful and delicious. Again, the staff will work with you to tailor meals to meet your requirements.

All in all, the week at Villa Rococo met and exceeded our expectations. Very peaceful, definitely unhurried, and relaxing. We loved being able to gather on the veranda for drinks and conversation, swimming in our private pool on top of the world, and being pampered by a very attentive staff. If you are traveling as a family or with a group of friends, it is a lovely and affordable alternative to more traditional accomodations and we highly recommend it.

One final word of advice: Plan on getting to the airport to check in at least three hours before boarding time. The departure times are all clustered and the lines two hours before flight time are unbearably long and slow. The airline agents are not overly concerned with expediting the check-in process and you risk missing your flight. You might consider checking your bags and getting boarding passes early in the day, then returning to the villa for a final swim and lunch in order to end your vacation on a relaxing note!

Stayed July 2006

4 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Solo
Business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2006

My family and friends 11 in total (includes 2 small children) stayed at Villa Rococo for 3 nights while travelling around Jamaica. Our first impressions wasn't that great (from the outside) and we arrived very late in the night and had difficulty in finding the place and it is very remote, secluded and not sign posted from the main roads. The groups apprehension and my anxiety (because I choose it..) disappeared the minute we were welcomed into the villa by very helpful staff and saw our surroundings. The view was fabulous and the pool side was light up and inviting. The style of the upper bedrooms (in particular) are all unique. My room was the master bedroom, with kingsize bed, spacious room and of rich ruby red curtaining and bedding with white washed walls gave a feel of sophistication although not elaborate. All rooms were beautiful, it was peaceful and we all slept well and beds are big enough for 3 to share if required. My son and nephew (23 &25) managed to 'bag' the room with the jaccuzzi and hammock on their balcony, in the lower ground of the villa - so they were in heaven!

The pool was just the right size, with steps leading into the shallow end, when you have small children (6 and 18 months) and the loungers at one side of the pool ensured that you could relax, giving the children a little freedom still keeping a watchful eye on them. You are also provided with poolside towels daily.

The kitchen is well equipped with all necessities with a beautiful dinning room that seats 14.

The staff Henry in particular are more that helpful and accommodating ready to help to shop and advise you on your surroundings and are very capable of cooking fabulous meals for you. We didn't use that facility as my husband and brother in-law love to cook. The villa is very clean, well kept of a high standard and your rooms are cleaned daily and towels are refreshed. The staff are always around and on hand 24hrs (but not intrusive), giving you that sense of security. A 10 foot walls surrounds the villa also.

Oh I nearly forgot the gardens.... if you want to hideaway for a bit more piece... there is a beautifully kept garden with a hammock and swing for you to lazin and quietly read a book or doze as I did, before I was found!

We would have loved to stay longer and would certainly stay and recommend Villa Rococo to friends.

One thing to bear in mind is that you would need a car as it is very isolated and if you want to go out in the evenings to enjoy the beautiful sites of Montego Bay, or have a nice meal out (lots of lovely restaurants to choose from) you will definately need to have a car. Also you could be slightly hampered by the costs as normally I have rented a 'whole' villa, not room by room, on a per night basis which I think brings the cost up. Don't let that sway you.... Visit and talk to Stephanie.

A very enjoyable time was had by all my family and friends.

• Stayed April 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

I stay at the Villa Rococo on 09/15- 21/05. My business trip took me to the Island two weeks before where we stay at another villa for the initial part of our vacation. The other villa which I will leave unnamed is located in the typical Ironshore Montego – Bay area and has no view at all. I being a person who absolutely love over looking the greenery of a country side and enjoy the quietness that comes with a non-city atmosphere was trilled when my assistant finally recommended we moved to a hillside villa she was associated with. I must tell you I had no regrets, the place is a palace, very clean and elegantly designed, the staff seems eager to have us as their guests, and the view, oh that view. The villa is tucked away in an upscale community of Content Reading, Montego Bay Jamaica. And is very secure behind a 10ft cut stone wall and remotely opened gate. The front door is opened into a divining picturesque Ocean, City, and lush green Mountain View.To top things off, everything was provided at the villa for us. We had a grand time and will visit again in January 06.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2005

My family and I had spent our long over due vacation at the Villa Rococo in Montego Bay Jamaica. This 5 bedrooms villa is exquisite and has the most incredible view. This is where heaven meets earth. The villa’s magic mountains create a valley of lush tropical abundance. This is where you can escape to luxury at the world’s most spectacular villa. The staff is very tentative, friendly and courteous. Our children were left at the villa and kept entertained by Claudette (the nanny), while my husband and I went Scuba diving and Snorkeling.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Villa Rococo? Share your experiences!