“Management is the problem!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Montego Beach to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2 Gloucester Road | St.James, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Management is the problem!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I were interested in an authentic Jamaican vacation. We've grown tired of the 5* resorts that in most cases don't reflect the culture of the country we're visiting. After some pretty intense research we decided on Royal Decameron Monteago Beach.

We expected the property to be old but clean which it was. Actually, they do a very good job with cleanliness. The food was OK. Definitely authentic, we liked some dishes and didn't care for others. The view was better than we expected and the beach worked wonderfully for us.The staff we interacted with were wonderful especially Curtis, Maintenance Department) who we believe is the only reason we finally got settled for the week on Monday evening after arriving Sunday afternoon. The waitresses and waiters in the buffet during breakfast and lunch were very good especially Pateshea Grant and Carlos Kelvin who served us with a smile every day. The front desk although frequently a challenge was made a lot easier to navigate with the help and display of concern from Shantel Smith, Oshane Harding and Vaughn. I tip my hat to the staff who are left to deal with so many issues without any management support. Actually, I think that the staff is so helpful in their attempts to deal with challenging situations while smiling and maintaining a friendly, courteous demeanor is commendable.

Management is awful...and they hide!!!!!! i.e.: if for whatever reason you request a room change, you have to pack your belongings, check out of you current room, put your luggage in storage the wail ALL day for your new room. We waited from 10AM until 6PM for our room after being told our room would be ready no later than 3 PM.
Breakfast is served in the buffet from 7 AM - 10:30 AM ...empty trays are not refilled as early as 9 AM! Dinner is served from 6:30 PM until 9:30 PM ...8 PM they start running out of food that is not replaced. We spent 7 days at the resort, clean beach towels were available only twice! Seems like management makes cost cutting decisions without considering the number of guests they have to accommodate then they hide leaving the staff to deal with food shortages and whatever issues arise without front line management support. I've even witnessed staff making statements that an idiot would know was untrue. There was no hot water from Thursday evening until Sunday when we left. The sad part is instead of management accepting responsibility and dealing with their guests truthfully, staff was instructed to tell guests that the water would be back on shortly. If a guest asked how long is shortly we were to ten minutes!!!!!. AND new guests checking in daily were not told that there was no hot water.
Royal Dcameron's problem is management...this is a lovely old property that definitely displays authentic Jamaican character. If it was managed properly, we would visit annually it could be perfect for my husband and I.....but the way it is currently we'll have to pass...sadly I'll have to begin another search for an authentic Jamaican home away form home.

I generously rated this vacation a 3.......actually I would give the staff a 4, management -1

Room Tip: stay away from #306, view totally blocked by palm trees!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I was utterly shocked at the disgraceful room service and rude attitude of the attendant. I had no drinking glass in my room, when I inform the room attendant I was told that two is inside of the bathroom. These were two dirty glasses I had previously used and was in the bathroom.she simply walked away. In addition I lost my phone and did not recover it. The security staff was very proffessional. Internet service is $5.00 an hour and when requesting a card you are told that you have to wait till the changing of the shift. Pathetic , other staff were friendly. A bitter taste .constNt problem with the air condition system.

Milford, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a very pleasant and restful time at this resort, since we usually do not do the all inclusive we found we had everything we needed. When we travel every place is a new experience and we make the best out of what is available to us. First we were given a room on the ground level by the pool and asked rather for a room with a better ocean view and were promptly given a room on the 4th floor with a great ocean view on a large balcony, perfect. For the cost of the all inclusive I thought the food was good and the variety was adequate, hey we are easy to please. The rooms and the grounds were clean at all times and the staff was friendly and willing to help when asked. Check in and out were as quick as I've seen elsewhere. Overall I'd have to say " No problem Mon"

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better , 4th being the best.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here as a family and I can only say from the second we walked in we were disappointed. At £400 for a 4 night stay (and that was with a discount) we expected some class. We were met with issue after issue. They provide no soap dish to store your soap. On Our first day we found a baby cockroach in our soap dish. Looked under sink, large cracked area. Then at 830pm while putting kids to bed the entertainment started and we had been given a room right next to the stage. When we requested a room change we were expected to check out at 12 leave our luggage at reception and check In at 3 to another room. Straight swap wasn't an option. No fridge in room to store baby milk. This is a charged item. The safe is chargeable too. No continuous hot running water. It runs hot and cold throughout your shower. No tea/coffee facilities in the room. We found this an issue as we have an 18mth old who needed milk in the night so night one was dreadful. We requested assistance and was granted a kettle. Day 4 our toilet stopped working. 3 hours later no one arrived. Day 3 we were told that there was no hot running water all day! So towels for beach were unavailable. It was just a stressful holiday. We stayed at the Grand Palladium in Lucea the week before and were so happy with the stay. The Royal Decameron is quite a low standard hotel. Staff didn't think we were priority. We didn't enjoy. And won't be returning.

Stayed September 2014
Stone Mountain, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I thought from the pics location and ratings this would have been a good hotel to check out for my company annual getaway meeting wrong customer service very bad I asked to change my room because of too much sun too early in the morning at first I was told they would get back to me 5 hours later I had to go down stairs to front desk and was told no rooms were available from what I saw hotel was running at a capacity of 60% I asked to change to black out curtains they had no more available. Food was bad too dry out chicken breast. What they call Jerk chicken is baked chicken tasteless and
dry very limited variety another day food was cold when asked why the burner were out on the chafing dish no one noticed went to the bar sat there for 20 minutes the bar tender didn't ask if I wanted anything they changed bartender I had to ask if this is how u treat customers he said no and apologize but later previous bartender came the time his pants was under his butt and I guess he felt comfortable enough to proceed to sit on the lower part of the bar. My overall experience is I will and never recommend and come back to this hotel. For a hotel that's on the busiest strip in Montego Bay I would have expected better but I guess the owners and managers doesn't feel they need to make any changes because it's a popular location visitors and vacationers would accept anything.

• Stayed September 2014
Croydon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Staff very friendly and welcoming

No free wifi even though you spend so much to stay there and wifi is only available in the hotel lobby

Rooms are decent and clean

No complementary shower gel provided

Over all a clean hotel but for the price you pay would of expected the above to be included

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
NEW JERSEY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Funny, I just read the review before mine and we were there about the same time. That is where the similarities end.

The one great thing about the hotel it is a few minutes from the airport. So you are there in no time. It is a 15 dollar ride. Also that means when you leave the hotel you have plenty of time to get to your plane. Check in went smooth although the girl who did check us in made some mistakes. She did no give us the towel cards to be able to pick up beach towels. And she did not mention about the safe needing a key to lock it and having to rent it from the front desk. That will cost you 2 dollars a day. So it was no big deal going back to the front desk and getting those 2 things since it was empty. But imagine if it wasn't.

We were on the 4th floor and the elevator is on the small side. A hotel employee was going to help us with our luggage but believe me when I say this, it is small. So he told us he would meet us on the 4th floor. He never did show which is no big deal, but at the same time we were laughing about it all week, asking ourselves mabe this will be the day he shows. The room is very nice and large. Furniture was old but who cares since it looked fine. The room was bright and the terrace was truly fantastic. Nice and large with 2 high back chairs great for looking out onto the ocean. Sunsets who have been terrific but the weather was not that great for it. But it was a nice option to have for your room. The bathroom still uses shower curtains which is not a bad thing just rather have shower doors. The maid did a good job in cleaning and plenty of towels everyday.

The resort was very clean and I saw they worked hard at keeping that way. I saw the pools being cleaned early in the morning.

So as you see with my review so far so good.

OK, that is where it ends. Now the bad. First let me preface this by saying we have stayed often at all inclusives, in fact 90 percent of the time so we know what to expect. The drinks were low quality, where we did not have that at other all inclusive. Barteneders were fine for the drinks were not. Not good at all. Cheap stuff.

The entertainment is brutal. During the day they blast Jamaican music ALL DAY!!!. I know we are in Jamaica but come one there is no need to jam it down our body. You can play music that the world knows as well. And the entertainment at night is terrible. The singers are not bad but again nothing but Jamaican music. And they have these dancers who seem to be dancing not to the music but for their enjoyiment at each other. And how about playing some rock or pop and letting the guest dance. Nope, that never happened but one time for the final dance. And the variety shows after the singers go off is cheesy that we did not bother to stay after awhle. I have to be honest we did not go to the disco because we just felt it would be the same, Jamaican music and the staff doing the dancing. Yes, I know we are in Jamaica but it is not like that in other countries or resorts in Jamaica.

The ocean is wonderful and clean with no waves at all. There is very little beach that leads to the water. There are areas where you sit on the beach but to get to the water you have to climb down a ladder and that leads you into deep water. So if you do not swim do not go in that way. There are plenty of chairs and plenty of those huts for shade. So you will have no problem finding a good place to sit. The pools are small. There are 2. One is a small kidney shape pool the other is a bit larger with a volley ball net in the middle. The pool bar is located there and you will find the same drunks no matter when you go on vacation there are always the same there all the time. If you like to take a swim in the pool as oppose to standing around with a drink in your hand this is not the pools for you.

O, and when we were on the beach near the piers, they have guys who do not belong on the grounds trying to sell you pot. And also when you are in the ocean and the boats come by the same thing, pot sellers. I in fact witness one of the cooks buying pot from one of these dealers. The cook worked at the grill.

I mentiioned the grill was the best thing about the food. The woman who takes your order is a nice sweet girl. The set up there is very nice. It overlooks the water and they have nice tables with shade. We found this to be the best part of eating at this hotel.

The dining room is nice and I can see on a real hot day it might not be pleasant since it is open air. But the weather was not that hot. But the dining area is clean and they take care of you quckly. Getting you coffee and tea or cleaning off your dirty plates. The service was excellent. But the food is God awful. So bad that is one of the main reasons we would not go back. We were talking about how maybe we can go back since there are some good things, but he food is that bad that we say what is the point. In the five nights we ate there it is was only good once. The lunches were never good, not even close to being good. Breakfast for me was fine since they had eggs, bacon and waffles so I was happy. But I was shocked they had no bagels. No creme cheese either. My wife likes to put honey on her cereal, after the first day forget it no where was to be found. Again no bagels! And the bread was tasteless. And they had these loafs of bread that you had to cut which is not easy when you are carrying food. And they had no taste at all. And the areas were dimly lit, and so you could not see the food. They were markers so you could read what you were getting. The tray areas for the buffet were small and when they emptied they were not replaced soon, or sometimes at all depending on what time you were eating. The veggies and fruits were cut into smaller than usual size from what you normally see at all inclusives. The salad dressing was tin and coutons on one day and nothing the next. A lot of the meat is on the none, food for a savage. Stir fry oily looking vegetables. The pasta was dried out what tasted like canned tomato sauce. The carving station was dimly lit and the food to be carved look terrible. The deserts looked totally unappetizing. It was in the corner and again very dark. I could go on and on about how bad the food was. They do have one special restaurant which we did not try.

Look, the hotel is nice, not new but still the rooms are nice and the water is beautiful. But the food and drinks are awful and at the end of the day if I have to make a call or advise people to this hotel or not I would say nope, do not go here.

O, there is security, but I do think they turn a blind eye on the drug dealing. If we saw them they have to know they are there.

Room Tip: stay on the upper floors for the view of the ocean. and ask to be away from the Disco
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!