“Beautiful location, good value, no frills” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Montego Beach to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2 Gloucester Road | St.James, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #21 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Nacogdoches, Texas
“Beautiful location, good value, no frills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Overall we enjoyed our trip because we were able to relax and swim. The water was great, however finding an available pair of the hotel's snorkeling equipment was hit-and-miss, bring your own. The water was definitely the best part about the place. It was like swimming in an aquarium, that was wonderful. Saw a stingray one evening from the pier.

Our room was fine - clean and functional, we paid extra for the ocean view - very worth it, just wish we hadn't been next to the outdoor stage. The buffet food was fine, we did the grill for lunch each day because three buffets a day is a bit much, breakfast became repetitive but dinner usually had a pleasant surprise. The fresh fruit, omlettes, goat curry, desserts, juices, tuna fish pasta, and Greek themed meals were our favorites. Staff was professional but friendliness was not high on the list. If you want to be pampered, this probably isn't the place for you. The bartenders often gave us the impression that they'd rather not make the drinks they had listed - we didn't even try to ask for something not on the menu board! Tipping often and regularly (although technically not required) didn't even help. Although we found a few notable individuals (three total) whose attitudes were consistently welcoming and understood customer service, that was not the norm. Our biggest complaint, after the grumpy employees, was the loudness of all music - fun crew, shows, etc. apparently the only setting is loud! It is very close to the airport - 5 min - and we enjoyed watching the planes come in - we thought that would be bothersome but it was actually fun. If you need a break and want something affordable and don't need 5-star, you will probably enjoy yourself. If you want glam and 5-star, probably not.

Room Tip: Be sure to book a room near the pool - or way, way past the nightclub/outdoor stage - the music is v...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

2,257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Cheshire Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Ignoring the failed air conditioning when we arrived we were soon moved to a cooler room, leaving the rest of the stay perfect. This hotel has something for everyone from the relaxing pools to full on parties if you wish. The staff are lovely and the entertainment as intrusive as you want it to be. A very cosmopolitan hotel with a fair number of guests from South America. The food in the buffet is excellent with the al la carte also available or just the snack bar if you are not hungry. We used a taxi driver Byron from the rank across the road for all our sightseeing trips and he was excellent. Knowledgable and reasonably priced. Do get out and see this lovely island, esp ys falls, dunns river falls, luminous lagoon, black river crocodile, ricks cafe sunset and cliff diving in Negril and bob marleys house!
For a change a walk to margaritaville to party or just relax is recommended if only for the free wifi! That's my only gripe the wifi should be in the rooms not just the lobby. Loved this place and it's people as did the rest of my family!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Trenton, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

It is amazing what two years and a change in management can do to a property. I once LOVED the Royal Decameron in MoBay (see my 2012 review); now I feel it was the second worst experience in Jamaica (Legends is still the #1 worst experience, but this location is following close behind). Please take heed to what other reviewers are saying, the owner and the front desk staff are HORRIBLE. They lie to your face about giving you horrible rooms due to the place being full, when at meal time it's clear no one is staying there.

We started in room 325; horrible set-up and the toilet is situated in the oddest of places in the bathroom. The back room's AC was broken, after three maintenance men coming through and exiting without closing the door behind them, still no resolve. Complaining to the owner, who was too busy staring at the rear-ends of little girls, was a total waste of my time.

The next day a bellman, who had been promoted to front desk manager since our last visit, remembered my sister and I from a previous visit and graciously pulled some strings to get our room changed; too bad we were sent to the farthest end of the resort to room 18. While this room was spacious and had working AC; there is no mini-fridge and the bathroom smells HORRIBLE!!!! I mean it smelled like the resorts' sewage was tunneling through our room. We didn't bother to complain as the guy who helped us out, the ONLY PERSON WHO CARES ABOUT A CUSTOMER'S EXPERIENCE, was off the rest of our stay. The food remains to be the BEST I've ever had, but those kudos go to the chef.

We made the best of our trip as that is what we do when money has already been spent and no refunds will be honored. However, I will never stay here again. At least not while the Hispanic owner is still there. His cheap @$$ is really cutting corners and I was totally disgusting by his eyeballing of minors.

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I've never been to an all inclusive before. I'm glad for the experience, but I prefer not being tied down to one place. I also don't enjoy laying in the hot sun or hanging around the pool bar. That said, it was good for the price. The water was gorgeous and the sunsets were spectacular when it wasn't raining. We stayed there for 5 nights. We got a great price on Groupon. The taxi from the airport is a set price of $15 even though the resort is only a mile away. You could probably walk outside to the street and get a better price - if you can get past the taxi drivers at the airport who want your business. The hotel had average to above average food - plenty of it and drinks. The cream Jamaican Rum was my favorite. The staff were very helpful and allowed us to ask for a room away from the evening entertainment as other reviews had said it was noisy at night. We were glad we were not closer to the pool as it is quite noisy during the day. The rooms are quite nice, but if you are looking for a luxury vacation look elsewhere. Make sure you bring hair conditioner, as the hotel does not provide it. Our AC controler did not work, but that was quickly fixed. I usually enjoy walking the beach, but it is not possible to walk on the beach outside of the resort. All walking has to be done outside the gates of the resort, on the sidewalks, where you will be asked to come in and look at the merchandise of all of the souvenir shops along the street. I'm glad we were able to take a trip one day to see more of Jamaica. A driver approached us inside the gates of the hotel and asked if we were interested in a private tour. He offered to take us to where we were interested in going - the Rose Hall Great House and the Luminous Lagoon for $120. We offered $100 which he gladly took. He picked us up at 4 PM and took us to Rose Hall for a tour ($20/ea but can get for $16 online). Then he drove us to the Luminous Lagoon for the 7 PM boat ride. He didn't seem to know the time of the boat so we got there about 6 and had to wait. The entertainment at the resort was not to our liking. The resort caters to people from many countries, so I'm sure it is hard to please everyone. We did enjoy being at a place where it was so ethnically diverse.

Room Tip: The Sunset building is away from the noise of the hotel, but closest to the airport and older but la...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

While my wedding day started out a bit rocky, it turned out great in the end. I want to thank a few individuals who made my trip AWESOMEEEE.. Vaung- the front desk manager, Sadiki- the entertainment manager, Andre- the bar and restaurant manager, Kevin- the bar manager, and last but certainly not least the my ladies and gent, at the front desk Janice, Shantel, Lateisha, Oshane, and Jeloni. They were very professional and very patience in spite of all my constant irritating moments and request for my large wedding party. THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH...
This was my second time at this hotel, and I always feel at home going there. Before I post again, on other issues, I will give the hotel manager an opportunity to correct the issue I had. So, I will be back with an update.

Room Tip: rooms on the side by the pool area are noisy from street noise and early morning work.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

excellent place to stay and beautiful sights. Friendly staff close to everything and very safe to be. We stayed there about 3 nights and after we decided to " backpack" to Kingston, and it was also a neat experience. Evrybody at the hotel was supportive and information was delivered vry clear. S recomended.

Room Tip: Book in advance it tends to be full in high season.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Great, Fantastic, Relaxing.... Enjoyed the location, the staff was very accommodating, food was great..hotel was very clean.. the beach was great for snorkelling swimming.. hotel is definitely recommended.

Room Tip: get one next to the pool ground floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!