This was our second trip to Montego Bay and the Royal Decameron. As so often happens the second time round is a disappointment but not this time. Although the resort is older the staff work very hard to keep it clean and fresh looking. The rooms are in need of updating but we only used the room to sleep. The water pressure was a problem but you just had to wait it out and the pressure would be back in a minute or two. All the room concerns disappear when you look out of your balcony or patio to the fantastic view of the caribbean ocean. From what I understand almost every room had an ocean view. We were on the fourth floor and it was great. We got a lot of excercise since the elevator only holds a maximum of 4 people so we mainly used the stairs.
There is one restaurant, one buffet and a Hamburger/Pizza Grill on the property that are all good. The restaurant served excellent menu selections and reservations were very easy. We could reserve the day we wanted to use the service. The buffet had lots of variety from the traditional jamican dishes to the North American comfort foods. Since we were there for two weeks we were expecting a repeat of the menu the second week but the menu options were different enough to keep us from getting tired of the choices. The Grill was open for lunch and then again after the evening entertainment at 11pm. They made excellent hamburgers and I highly recommend the wings.
There are two pools on the property and a jacuzzi. The jacuzzi is on the cooler side and I never saw anyone use it. The quieter pool is a bit removed from all the activity but close enough to enjoy watching the activities without getting involved. The other pool has a swim up bar and can be rowdy in the afternoon.
The entertainment staff work very hard to give people something to do all day long. They arranged aquacise, beach volleyball, pool volleyball, beach games, pool games and drinking games for any and all who want to participate. They ended the evening with entertainment that varied from singers/bands, fire dancers, contortionists to bingo and games with more audience participation. Kudos to Jack, Brittany, Dr. D, Poppy and the rest of the crew, including new comer Zooma (Kim). This was the best entertainment crew we have seen in the Carrirbean.
As far as tipping goes it didn't seem to matter if we tipped or not the service was the same. If the bartenders enjoyed your company and you were friendly and personable chances were you would be served sooner. There were times throughout the day when the bar staff would be very busy and they served you when they had the time. This was something we took in stride, after all we were on vacation. The waitresses in the restaurant were excellent but busy. After a couple of days they knew who you were and what you were drinking before having to order.
There are two small beaches on the property. One of the beaches has better snorkelling than the other but the coral is quite close to the beach. This makes the snorkelling better but you need to be aware of the coral and the sea urchins. The other beach has coral as well but it is further out and not as plentiful. The snorkelling isn't as good but people who want to swim and sunbath on the beach enjoy it more than the other one.
We did several tours and found Ren, a local taxi driver, cheaper than the resort prices. He provided us with excellent service and was flexible. We told him where we wanted to go and he made the arrangements, advised us of the costs and made sure we were where we had to be when we needed to be there. One day we did the Black Snake River, waterfalls and the Appleton Rum factory and he got us to each tour a few minutes before the appointed time. He helped to make the vacation enjoyable.
The resort keeps close tabs on their guests. If leaving the resort you are required to give the gatehouse your room number. There are several security guards that survey the property 24 hours. They not only keep the guests safe but make sure any guests who have over indulged get to their correct room. The Hip Strip is right outside the resort gates and provides tons of shopping. If you tired of the resort food and drink there are several bars and restaurants within walking distance on the Hip Strip.
Everyone in the resort was excellent. The bellman, Denton, is a great resource. The front desk staff were very accommodating and greeted us by name. Waitresses, cooks and barmen all made of point of providing good service. All the maintenance staff and cleaning crews were friendly and pleasant. The Water Sport guys did their best to arrange whatever water equipment we wanted. The staff seem to be happy with their work - a rare commodity in today's world.
Overall we enjoyed our trip immensely and will definitely be back. Not because the resort is a five star - its not. We will be back because of the people. We met some exceptional people both on and off the resort. Locals that originally come from Jamaica and other tourists from around the world. "Respect Mon"
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located five minutes away from Montego Bay International Airport near the commercial district and the Hip Strip, Royal Decameron Montego Beach is a beachfront property on white sandy beaches with crystal clear waters. Its facilities and ensure a relaxing holiday environment. This hotel has two restaurants, PassaPassa and Souk, where you can enjoy different international and regional dishes. During the day, you can partake in different recreational activities including dance lessons, aerobics and non-motorized water sports like kayaks, sailboats and diving lessons in the pool. In the evenings, enjoy our shows and dance till you drop at the disco of the Royal Decameron Montego Beach hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Royal Decameron Montego Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jack Tar Village
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Bay
- Royal Decameron Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Hotel
- Royal Decameron Montego Bay Jamaica
- Montego Beach
- Decameron Montego Bay
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach All Inclusive