“My home away from home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Montego Beach to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2 Gloucester Road | St.James, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #22 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Canada
“My home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was my fifth trip to RDMB. Like many other reviewers, RDMB has become a home away from home. I truly love it here. This trip, I travelled with a friend to celebrate our birthdays. For myself, June is far too hot - I probably wouldn't travel this time of year again.

As always, the hotel was very clean. We even saw the groundskeepers sifting the sand! We had a bit of an issue with the room assignment on arrival - we received a king room but the promised cot never arrived. We moved the next day to a double room in Sunset. The vanity area outside the washroom in the Sunset building is excellent for ladies travelling together - a big mirror and room to do your makeup!

The food was good as always. Lots of selection to appeal to all tastes. The one comment this time is that I found some of the food items (especially in the back "Jamaican" section) to be lacking signage. This might be a concern for anyone with food allergies.

Between my last trip in February and this one, all of the staff now wear red and white all the time. Entertainment used to have some flexibility - all green, all blue, and different costumes at night. Even the waitstaff used to have different variations. Now, it is quite obvious who is staff - but it is harder to distinguish bartenders from waiters from entertainment etc.

I had two wonderful massages! I think it was $60 an hour. The massage therapist can be booked directly, or at the gift shop. Unfortunately, it's not well advertised so she often doesn't have a client. Unfortunately, as she is quite good.

This resort is a gem - can't wait to get back and see my "family" again!

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean view if you have a choice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

2,257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
central ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

WE stayed here the first week of July 2013. We were greeted with a cool drink on our arrival at 3PM. Our room was ready and we were quickly checked in. We were told that we had to come back for a safe key after 5. Went back about an hour later and we were taken care of. We had no problem with the front desk staff. Very helpful whenever we needed them. We were on the second floor overlooking the pool. We were only in our room during the day to freshen up and change. So we didn't mind any noise we heard . If we heard lots of fun we ventured down to join in. We occupied the beach down at the end also. It was almost as if we had a private beach. Yes there were little shells that had washed up on the beach but my husband and I spent lots of time looking to find certain ones and sea glass to take home. We also spend a lot of time in the pool that didn't have the bar. Usually there was only another couple at most in it. As this was for our anniversary trip we really didn't mind being on our own. If we wanted more people we just walked down to the other end of the resort. Keisha was our housekeeper and she was a very hard worker. She had the prettiest smile whenever she saw us and went out of her way to make sure our room was clean and supplied with towels and sheets. Our bathroom did host quite a few little bugs the first morning we were there. But we told the front desk and they sprayed. Problem was taken care of. We enjoyed the buffet. We tried to sit in the same area to get the same servers as they remembered what we liked and were very attentive.. We did tip a dollar for meals if we were attended to.We enjoyed the fresh fruit and vegetables at every meal. Did not try donkey tail. We were full after every meal and actually looked forward to the next. The breads were very pleasing to me. We also took a roll down to the pier in the morning and fed the fish. They would actually jump to get it. Did eat at the a la carte place and did not care for it. But the cheesecake was good. And we did tip a dollar in the evening to the bartender where we were. And 2 dollars a day for the housekeeper. For me I did not mind as I had read the reviews and wanted to make this trip memorable. And the Royal Decameron did just that. We enjoyed relaxing in the different hammocks around the resort. We also used the horseshoe pit and ping pong table. We also enjoyed the different shows at night. We never made it to the disco. The security out in front also were very knowledgeable about the area and friendly.Beds were comfortable and had 5 pillows. OUr room was lavender in color. Entertainment crew worked really hard to keep everyone entertained. We liked the house band early evening time that played in the foyer. More of a Jamaican feel. We are regular people that vacation on a budget and this resort worked very well for us.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful trip to Jamaica. First time staying at the Decameron. Read a lot of reviews before choosing this resort. Property is right next to the airport, so very convenient. Some reviews complained of flight noise. You can see and hear flights leaving and landing, but it is not invasive at all and the airport isn't open late or super early. Don't let those reviews dissuade you.

The property looks small from the roadside entrance but it is spread along the Oceanside, as nearly every room faces the ocean. The staff was courteous and helpful. Common areas, beaches, pool, etc were always clean and very well kept.

Food was diverse, but not necessarily "local" fare. (My husband is Jamaican decent and spent summers there for many years, he is my reference for this.) They did serve a few dishes that were Jamaican inspired. If you want the real jerks, curries, etc it is best in the country or some of the more suburban roadside stands. The Ultimate Jerk on the way to Ocho Rios is a great example. The food was well done, but not what I would call spectacular. They offered different variety or themes each day.

The rooms are pretty decent, but again not spectacular. Room was clean and bed comfortable. AC works well. Bathroom was clean but water pressure was variable. It was never strong and would change mid-shower from moderate to low then back. We had a similar experience in another hotel, so maybe that is normal. We were also on the top floor, which usually impacts that too. Overall, the issue with the room was just that it's "easy" fixes to make it awesome weren't done - the shower tile needed re-caulked and the baseboards were missing in the closet. Again, nothing dirty just a little dated and missing those final touches to make it over the top. The most amazing the about the room is the VIEW!!! Book the ocean view rooms and you won't be disappointed in that view. Note, resort site may note all rooms are ocean view, but I promise you we saw a few that don't face that way. Second note, if you don't want to hear the live entertainment until late at night ask for a room away from the stage area.

Resort offers free snorkel gear, pool towels, kayaks, and catamaran for rental. Take advantage!! It is worth it. Plenty of beach chairs, docks, swimming areas, 2 pools, several bars, sauna, and hot tub. The property has it all!

Room Tip: Poolside has mid-day music and entertainment. You can hear it in your room, but it is only 11am - 5p...
Port Colborne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

we went to the royal decameron this january for my daughters wedding the people that work there are fantastic we have been at holiday inn in canada and usa royal decameron is the best holiday we have had in a long time the staff fantastic food fantastic we will be arranging another wedding soon at the royal decameron i totally recomend the royal decameron to any body that wants a great vacation we have 40 people coming back next year we have stayed in many hotels in canada and usa but royal decameron in montego bay is the best.

Room Tip: pent house or third floor ocean side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lone Pine, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My fiancé and I went just to get away and enjoy a beautiful scenery. Everyone was very polite and helpful. This was our first time out of the country and I would deff go back to this motel due to all of the fun and friendliness from every employee we encountered..

Room Tip: The 3rd floor had a perfect view of sunset and the ocean..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just returned from RD and have to say its among my favourite holidays ever. Ok it isn't the Ritz but they don't claim that it is. However, what you will get is the opportunity to relax if you want, or to join in with activities which are plentiful and provided by a hard working animation team. A special shout out to the crew including Sadiki, Sprinkles. Dimitri, Dominic and Dr Dre and not forgetting the girlies Chocolate and Peppa. They all worked hard and took the time to get to know you and encourage to join in.
In general the rooms are tired and could do with some modernisation but the view will blow you away and they are clean.
Food is consistently good and varied. We were there for 2 weeks and always found something to eat provided by waiting staff who were courteous and helpful.
Check in was a little frustrating and the initial vibe from reception staff is best described as negative and they were the only members of staff who could benefit from some customer relations training.
Bar tenders are mostly pleasant; however, I am of the opinion that the staff in the pool bar are tops and Fitzroy and Aleesha who help get the party vibe going in the late afternoon.
We are not ones for touring around but you will find many places of interest to visit and my tip would be take your time as there is a massive variation in prices. Juta taxis are handy and give a fair service but ask the price and then compare.
In essence, I cannot agree with any of the mostly negative comments made by some tourists on this site. This is an older complex that provides its visitors with a welcoming approach while offering the opportunity for you to get the best out of your holiday. So go and try, let your hair down and enjoy.... I bet you will love it.

Room Tip: Most rooms are ocean facing and there can be some noise until around 12 midnight from entertainment...
Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Enjoyed every minutes of my 19th stay at Royal Decameron! The staff is making the difference for me. Always smiling and making you feel great.It dépends on your expectations, me i am satisfied with this hotel. Great staff, good food, comfortable rooms, ocean everywhere and a lot of sun and rest.
It is like my second house with nothing to do or worried just enjoy.life
Some time of the year i pay less and some other time it is much expensive, i dont care! I am there every two months, not for the price but for the comfort and the people. Be back August 31 st and October 12th!

Room Tip: Room 30 to 39 Sunset Building are the best value, ocean front and very quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!