“Decent experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

You added Royal Decameron Montego Beach to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2 Gloucester Avenue | St. James - Jamaica, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #22 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Mississauga, Canada
“Decent experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

For the price, I think one gets good value from this resort. They have 1 a la carte and 1 buffet restaurants. The a la carte has the same menu for the week so we end up trying it for 2 dinners and used the buffet the rest of the time. Their biggest selling points are the proximity to the airport, within the hip strip and very clear water with corals and fishes close to the shore. I have the same experience with their front desk people, they're not that friendly. Kudos to the entertainment staff for the hard work they do. Our room was always clean. It's an old resort that we got an actual room key rather than a card key and the inside lock is a metal hook. Got excellent service from the buffet area staffs most especially from Felecia Ormsby, Atwell and from 3 casual staffs namely Renae Scott, Angeleta Bend and Randy Lewis. I'm hoping that those 3 get hired by Decameron as they would surely be great assets to the place.

Room Tip: 4th floor ocean view is great. Small resort so you would always hear when they do shows.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
jazzdancer49
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place is the worst I'v ever been to!. Upon arrival, we were given a first floor room which was ok. Unfortunately, the AC and fan did not work. There was also mold all over the bathroom floor.
We asked for a new room in the main building and were told there were no rooms that had two double beds only king size. They also told us that the room they gave us was an upgrade. Really? an upgrade means no ac or fan and mold. Finally, they gave us another room. Lo and behold the room in the main building had two double beds. THis was after the woman said there weren't any. We were constantly given different information by the night people and the day people. Then there is the food. It was awful. there was no AC in the eating areas making it difficult to eat because of bugs flying around the food and tables. Needless to say, we will never go there again. Jamaica is known for its friendly people. well the desk employees were the most unfriendliest people I had ever met and they did tell the truth.

Room Tip: If you really want to go there, make sure you don't get a room in the annex or over the entertai...
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Disappointed when we first checked in and asked for a room on one of the upper floors. We had read that all of the rooms had ocean views. We were taken to a room on the fourth floor on the end. The only thing you could see from the room were trees. We asked for a room with a view of the ocean. After some time and showing our concern that we were not satisfied with this room they found a room for us that was great. It was clean and comfortable but needs some updating in the bathroom. Our mattress was sloped toward the middle and we asked for a new mattress and they either put a board under it or put a new one it. Much more comfortable. Buffet was good but the pool bar was the best and it is because one of the hardest workers, Eleshia, is the best bartender, EVER! No beach to walk.....bummer!

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied, ask for a different room. They told us the hotel was full. This was not pr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I arrived at the Royal Decameron Montego Bay (RDMB) on June 18, 2013. I am writing this as I sit outside of the dining area in the early morning hours overlooking the beachon my last day on the island. The beauty of Jamaica is evident at the location of this resort and despite some of the flaws of the resort, it can't be denied the view from every point takes your breathe away. I think for what I paid for my 5 day trip, it seems the reviews that say, "you get what you pay for" is spot on. I chose this location of my agents offerings because of its close proximity to the airport remembering in a past trip 15 years ago the driving on the roads were harrowing. It has changed a lot, I realized on the ride from the airport, and later on a tour when our bus had to make stops at other hotels. My agent telling me my 1st choice was 90 minutes from the airport, added to the appeal of this resort, which is so close, you can hear and see the planes as they arrive. After a couple of days, I stopped hearing them. This location however allows us leave at 920am for our 1150 flight home instead or 7 as we had seen with earlier check outs.
I agree with other travelers that the hotel is in need of updating. But the constant barrage of cleaning people attacking spills, messes and dirty dishes or cups from around the resort makes you so aware of the cleanliness, it doesn't really matter. We stayed in the newer rooms (I learned later when someone pointed out there room did not have a mounted flat tv) located at the end of the resort. Initially I asked for a closer room to the action, but after being hit with migraines a couple of times, was grateful that I was in the quieter end. One should definitely come prepared. The little things like, shower gels, lotions, a box of tissues and pen and paper where not included in the room. There was a small bottle of shampoo that would seem fitting to only wash a dog and a small bar of soap so cheap I wouldn't use it to wash my hands, stayed unopened. I am glad I packed shower gel and had my own arsenal of body products, despite past travel experiences to nicer hotels where these things were provided with name brand products. The beds were comfortable but not supportive and the pillows, too soft, which personally made for an awkward rest.
Water sports are offered and although the pickings were slim, the resort was not crowded so there was always beach chairs, towels and if you would not rather vacation at a resort overrun by families with children this is the place for you.
The food offered at the buffet for meals was selective but not necessarily good and some of the choices at breakfast left me wondering if it was leftovers from the dinner before. It seemed that the food was prepared with the notion of getting it done and not so much as pleasing the pallet or cooked with love. If it wasn't for the fruit and omelette station that allowed me to have fresh prepared eggs, I would have skipped it altogether. A lot of reviews mention the fresh baked bread provided daily. There is an assortment of selections and they are tasty, according to my bread loving daughter. There is one restaurant. Souk, was a nice diversion but the menu never changed. The beach bar, offering burgers, hot dogs, pizza, grilled cheese and jerk chicken was a nice way to fill up between meals but the area should be treated with something to discourage the swarm of bees around the soda machine and the flies in the dining area. They also need more than one waitress since it made it difficult for her to keep it clean and serve, thus tables were often not cleaned upon arrival and seating. The burgers were not bad tasting, but reminded me of the burgers served with school lunch. I think the bread, lettuce and tomatoes made it easier to excuse the look of the patty. The "jerk chicken" was baked and not grilled as I would expect and everything was in a hot buffet table explaining nothing tasted hot or freshly cooked. Other authentic foods , like oxtails were disappointingly tough making me hope one trying them for the first time would not become swayed since they are delicious when allowed to cook longer.
The best thing about the resort, as with the country, is the people. I didn't have a problem with the font desk as others have mentioned but there were instances where waiting at the bar for a drink was the result of the bartenders engaging in conversation amongst themselves. The dining room staff Steven, Alicia, Stephanie were attentive and manager Noble came to my rescue when i was feeling sick. The entertainment crew, was the most engaging and as one reviewer described, like camp counselors. During the day, they hosted activities at the pool bar, and the most fun I had was hanging there with them. Dominic, Pepper, Dr. Dre and Sprinkles kept guest engaged and laughing with games and activities. The bartender Alicia performed her job well, making certain your drink was refilled prior to asking.
Although the resort is located on the "hip strip" a shooting in broad daylight of a bus driver on the hip strip made, combined with the knowledge of aggressive people selling their wares, made me skip it all together, opting to but the few souvenirs I had planned to purchase in the hotel gift shop. Although it was sparse with offerings, the price was right and haggling unnecessary. There are tables set up for purchases within the resort, but after hearing a seller quote $15 for the exact same necklace my daughter purchase off amazon for a dollar, I decided to avoid them all together.
All and all, the RDMB was a decent stay but I would seek another resort upon my return to Jamaica. I felt like my 5 day stay may have been one day too much, and couldn't imagine staying here longer without getting bored or disenchanted, unlike others who I met that return yearly or the one woman that returns every 60 days and plans to retire and live on this resort. The survival of this hotel will be dependent upon those that are loyal to the resort, travelers on a tight budget and those seeking relaxation in the beauty of the surroundings and not the bells and whistles that one could find at another resort.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

From the airport, $15 for a short taxi ride.
Service is fair to fine...not exceptional
Food was ok
Grounds were fair
Rooms...just ok...saw a small lizard in the room :(
I paid $77...to join my parents for one night...was glad to be leaving...for the budget conscious it works...as this is near the hip strip...

Fayetteville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Let me start with the good: Rooms are nice, nothing special, but nice and clean. We had two rooms. The bathroom in one was small, the other was a nice size. Food was average - there was nothing I ate which caused me to sit back and say, WOW! Beach area was clean, and the water beautiful. Now for the not so good: Customer service was sadly lacking. From the time I walked in the front door I felt unwelcome. The front desk seemed to be bothered by my inquires as to why my room wasn't ready, and why the room for the others in my party (who had already been there 5 hours) wasn't ready. It was rare that we received a "hello" from staff members. In contrast we went to Coyaba Hotel and Spa (forgive the spelling) for dinner one night, and were greeted warmly and found the staff to be helpful and welcoming. I am sure there is stiff competition for tourists, Royal Decameron has to step up their game for me to ever consider staying there again. Right now, for next year, we are planning on staying at Coyaba. Perhaps I will learn how to spell it by then.

Room Tip: Ocean front is a must. At this time, to do not expect to feel very welcome.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I decided to stay at the Royal Decameron because of it being an all inclusive, the reviews seemed favorable..Let me start by saying this was not my first trip to Montego Bay, decided to stay here due to it being an all inclusive..Sadly as we checked into the hotel we were never greeted by anyone at the front desk..Clearly we were an inconvenience to the staff, never once did they make up feel welcomed..Since it was 10 am we were told our room would not be ready until 3pm..5 hours later the room still was not ready..as we stood there waiting a large group arrived and were checked in and taken to their room...First impressions were not good..The rooms are clean but need some updating..The bar staff never smiled and appeared to be miserable..The dining room staff I have to say were the best always prompt and pleasant..The food on the buffet was always plentiful and good with a nice selection each day..The drinks tended to be a little weak but hey it was all inclusive...The beach is beautiful which made up for the disappointment with the hotel..We did take a day trip and had a women named Josephine who came recommended by the hotel...Please do not use her..She was not very engaging nor very helpful and at times while driving she appeared to be dozing off which made for a scary tour ride..I realize you cannot please everyone but being a 10 year Jamaican traveler I have stayed at many hotels this by far was the worst....

Room Tip: Get a room facing the beach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
SeaGarden Beach Resort
SeaGarden Beach Resort
#24 of 64 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 stars 317 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!