“Everyting Irie Mon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Montego Beach to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2 Gloucester Road | St.James, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #21 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
London, ON, Canada
“Everyting Irie Mon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

First things first, can't wait to get back! We read many reviews before we went and I have been to Jamaica before and stayed at the Sandals Royal Carribean. I have stayed at 5 star resorts also in Mexico and Dominican Republic twice so I have some experience with all-inclusives.....Now onto the Decameron, we arrived with only one staff at the front desk, however he was polite and tried to get all of us through as quickly as possible, keep in mind you are now on Jamaica time. All the staff were friendly, polite and love to have a chat if you are interested in their culture. There was only one bartender that was not polite because I didn't tip him right away, so be it. In fact some of the staff went out of their way to make you feel comfortable. I think that some people don't treat the staff with respect and politeness and therefore they get the same in return. Keep in mind that some of the staff work 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week for bad pay. The buffet was fantastic, lots of choice, as well as a good mix of Jamaican staples mixed in, spicy and not so spicy. My girlfriend raved about the bread all week.. Did the A La Carte one night, lovely, try the Filet Mignon, cooked exactly to liking and not tough at all. The buffet staff were really good, we ended up sitting in the same area for most of our meals so got to know our servers very well. In the mornings, they will bring coffee, water, juice, whatever you need while you are eating. For Lunch and Dinner, they will bring wine and any other drinks you would like. For wine drinkers, I enjoyed the house white wine very much, didn't try the red. The rooms are large and comfortable, immaculately cleaned everyday, some days it was in the morning, sometimes late afternoon. If you're in your room and don't want it cleaned they gladly just give you fresh towels and pillow cases if you want them and then sign off their sheet. We were on the ground floor of the sunset building near the end of the resort, lovely view, nice front porch, double french doors. Some of the rooms are being re-done because they are looking old, our bathroom was like that, but new paint in the main room, flat screen t.v, satellite, lots of channels e,t.c and A.C worked fine, loved getting the breeze of the bay in our room as well, and, found the bed very comfortable. Lots of beach area's to choose from, plus hammocks, sunbeds, sun covers are there for you to choose as well. We never hung out in the pool area's but always looked like seats were available in both the pool and beach areas, so you don't have to get up early, grab your towel and "save your seats" which I loved. We walked the Hip Strip most mornings and be warned there are lots of vendors, souvenir shops, cabbies/taxi services vying for your money. But if you are polite and just no mon, or no thanks, firmly but friendly they don't bug you so don't be afraid to stroll down. There's a lovely pub called The Twisted Kilt that's great to pop into for a cold bevvie, air conditioned if you've been strolling the strip in the heat. Two bank machines on the strip, one gives out Jamaican dollars and another one that does Jamaican and American money, American money tends to get you better deals in the shops, FYI. I had fun bartering for stuff so you don't need to take the first price or the price tags in the shops except for the gift shop at the resort. However the gift shop at the resort does not overprice its goods, so always good to go there if you're not in the mood to haggle and don't want to deal with people trying to get you to buy their stuff. Plus everyday some vendors are on the resort so you can buy from them and bartering is a part of the fun if you want to get a deal. we got very friendly with a couple of the vendors and I was lucky enough to hang out with one of them away from the resort on their day off, brilliant. Speaking of that we also got very friendly with one of the security personnel and were lucky enough to get off the resort to have sunday lunch at his place with his family, genuine jamaican home cooking in one of the non-affluent neighbourhoods in Montego Bay, fantastic! Generally speaking if the "locals" are not trying to sell you something, they are very friendly people and great to talk with, have a great sense of humour and love to have a laugh. I loved that the resort is smaller (this was my first time at a small resort) and you do get to know quite a few of the staff (if you choose to) from the maintenance people who keep the grounds immaculate to the outside security personnel that work there. Lots of water sports there for free, if you like that,from snorkeling to paddle boats, rides on hobie cats, a couple of wind surfers, etc. There is a Sauna, whirlpool and massage if you want it as well. I also liked the grill if you don't feel like eating at the buffet during the day time 12-5 and then it re-opens at 11 at night, there is a fountain drink machine and a Red Stripe (Jamaican Lager) tap there so you can help yourself, had cheeseburgers and fries at 11:30 at night, that was a nice treat.. We bought mugs when we were there as the small glasses for beer and pop just don't work. The nightly entertainment was fair to very good depending on the night but still enjoyable, cabaret-like at times. Be prepared that sometimes they pull up volunteers to help out and that can be quite funny "To the beat, To the beat!". This is not a five star, but to be honest it didn't bother me at all and it has a great vibe for a smaller resort, well worth more than the money you pay to go there compared to how much you would pay for a five star in Jamaica. In regards to being moved to other resorts, it seems to happen to people that went through Bookit.com after research and talking to some reviewers, so be prepared if you use them. What more to add....Enjoy it for what it is, a genuine gem, fantastic value, a great vibe, friendly people, comfortable rooms that is very close to the airport and you're on Jamaica time....laid back and very relaxing, every ting irie! An extra shout out to Rayon, Fitzroy, Christopher, Kaleesha, Diamond, Denton, Karhi, Tyrone, Rock, Kaye, Chamar and others that made this trip great!

Room Tip: Get the sunset building rooms if you can, ground floor isn't bad at all.

2,243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The hotel was excellent, although I realise I am not really a all inclusive resort type of person. The room wa enormous, the view stunning and the staff courteous and helpful. The Buffett food was good, but I stayed for 7 days so did get a bit bored of it. The hotel is situated closely to the hip strip so there is a supermarket 2 minutes up the road as well as some restaurants and plenty of souvenir shops. One thing that did annoy me about Montego Bay (nothing to do with the resort) was the constant harassment from drug dealers in the streets as every guy seems to deal, no matter what their day job is.

The one criticism I have of the resort is that you have to wear a wristband all the time so as soon as you leave the resort everyone knows where you are staying so increases their prices to you...

Also don't pay for a airport transfer ($68 return) as the resort is literally 5 minutes from the airport so grab a cab and save some money!

Room Tip: Stay away from the southern end of the resort as the beach next door has the locals visiting at nigh...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Decameron, Montego Bay for 5 nights in April. The guy that took our bags when we got there was great! Very friendly and upbeat. The rest of our check in didn’t go as well. When we went to the front desk for check in a couple people were working behind the desk. They didn’t greet us right away and took their time as they had conversations with each other and other workers in the lobby. We were ignored for a bit and then the female working at the desk asked for our names and passports. She said our room wasn’t ready and that we could go have lunch and check back. We did that. Room still wasn’t ready. We were really tired because we took an overnight flight to get there so I was a little annoyed because we had asked for an early check in and were told it wouldn’t be a problem. We figured well, what can you do? So we waited. Walked around. Waited. Came back to the front desk again an hour and ½ later because we were hot and tired and wanted to sleep so we decided to wait there until our room was ready. After several annoyed glances from the guy at the front desk, he called us up. I won’t put his full name in here although I know it but the first letter on his name tag was “M” and he really should not be working in the service industry. He clearly does not like people. At any rate, he put us in a first floor room which was old, dingy and smelled like smoke. We returned again to the front desk and asked to be moved to a higher floor as originally requested. He said that was not on the request (although I’m sure it was) and had a look on his face that said, too bad, so sad, get out of here and stop bothering me. I know I had requested this because I’m particular about these things and called the hotel in advance not once but twice. Once to make the request several weeks ahead and once a week before to verify they had the request. Anyway, I was pretty miffed at that point and asked for a manager to which I was denied saying she wasn’t around. I said fine, I would come back. When we did, we spent a good amount of time trying to explain things all over again and kept hitting a brick wall. She finally said we could try switching rooms the next day. When I asked what time I could come to the front desk and who I could talk to the next day she out of nowhere found another room for us! I feel like they knew we weren’t’ going to go away and just wanted to put an end to it. As a customer, you shouldn’t have to go to those lengths to get something you asked for in the first place. There were other people we met there during our stay that had the same problem so apparently it isn’t unusual. Not a good sign.

That being said, the first day was the worst of it. The rest of the stay was okay. The room we ended up with was nice and had a good view. The room was clean and maid service was decent. Being right on the water was great and the entertainment was fun to watch and be a part of. The food is another story. It wasn’t that great from the get go so we were being careful about what we ate. Even so, two of the four people we were traveling with got sick the same night (and not the drinking kind of sick). While I can’t say with 100% certainty it was the food, it was enough of a coincidence for me. I pretty much lived on Pringles I bought from the store from that point until we left.

Overall, I would say this is an average hotel, not luxury in any way but it is right on the water so that’s really nice. The front desk staff issues need to be addressed. Since I spent so much time talking about the front desk in my review, I should also add that there was one nice guy that was there the second time we went back to ask for a manager. He’s the one that got her for us and really seemed like he wanted to help. I didn’t see his name but he was much taller than the first guy. The rest of them could take a few lessons from him on how to interact with people.

All in all, I would say that the hotel is adequate for the money you pay. Just be really careful about what you eat and don’t expect good service. We won’t be returning.

MARYLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location and most staff are excellent especially the front desk staff. Food was just ok. The entertainment staff was doing a great job. The beach is the best. If you want to be on the Hip Strip close to everything and where the is then this is the place for you

• Stayed May 2013
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

After a decent 9 hour flight across the Atlantic we checked in to one of the rooms in the Sunset Building away from the main hotel. Very pleasant room- flat screen TV, fantastic ocean views with brilliant sunsets- 2 huge and very comfortable double beds!

.I guess it's usually around this time when you look for little niggles but I'm here back in England and didn't find one!

I was just reading that someone didn't like the food or some of the staff! I just went "What!? Can't have stayed where I just did" Often in All Inclusive the food is "bland international fayre" but not here. There was lots of choice you just had to find something you liked and all the staff in the dining room were great. I often think it's how you treat them. The restaurant overlooked the sea which was beautiful!
The A la carte was good quality too and unlike many resorts it was at no extra cost.Try the fruit juices at breakfast - everything from Beetroot to Cucumber, Melon to Papaya.

I'm not big on Entertainment teams but Siddique and the guys were brilliant - just great fun. I enjoyed the entertainment every evening - some top quality entertainers. Well done to Britney, Chocolate, the big man Sprinkles and the rest who were movin' non stop for a fortnight! "To the beat, to the beat!"

There are lots of sunbeds- we like the beach to the left of the hotel where you could walk into the sea and the Beach bar was nearby for lunch where if you fancied a change you could get a burger - they still had delicious Jerk chicken too!

Try the glass bottom boat trip with Captain Poly - entertaining guy who will take you round the bay where he's been sailing for 30 years.You'll always find him at the end of the pier to the right of the restaurant.

We took one trip to Dunnes River falls with the tour company - too much "shopping" for me but the falls were great. I would recommend searching out one of the taxis opposite the hotel. We found a really nice guy called Hilton Forsythe who took us serenely to Negril and Rick's cafe. He took his time to tell us all about wildlife, fauna and history - a really good guy and highly recommended.

Then we sunbathed.....read a few good books...were treated to a big storm on the next to last day - very dramatic!

Overall this was the best holiday I've had for a long time - well worth the long flight -got free "big seats" in Premium coming back to make the holiday complete! I hope I can go again soon.

A big "thank you" to everyone at the Royal Decameron - absolute tops!!

Room Tip: We got Room 26 - first floor Sunset Building - nice and quiet with stunning Ocean views.
Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Upon arrival, I believe the cab ride was $15.00 US for 2 to the Royal Decameron. We arrived about 3:30 PM and RM 210 in the main bldg was ready. The RM was clean and cool (not cold) which improved once we lowered the temperature. I didn't know 86 degrees was so hot and I’m from Mississippi. Lol... The drinks were good, strong and plentiful, thanks to Mark (lobby bar) who kept them coming. I wasn't hassled to tip at the hotel either. Everyone was helpful. I also enjoyed Stephen who is a waiter at the Souk Restaurant at the hotel. I really enjoyed the entertainment shows that started at 8 PM. The beach was small but nice. I never had an issue getting chairs on the beach and I took my own beach towel, as to not occur any unexpected expenses since the reviews I read prior to my trip stated that they charge for beach towels. I also took my on Ketchup per previous reviews and a larger insulated cup, and I'm glad I did. Being from the US, I felt there could have been more American food. I didn't eat a lot of the other foods. This is a 3 star hotel so don't go to this hotel if you are expecting a 5 star experience. My shower needed to be caulked but that was the only issue I had and I was fine with that for 4 nights. There wasn’t premium liquor at this establishment only local liquor or what have you. I liked the fact that this hotel was on the Hip Strip and that's the reason I chose it. I wanted to be able to walk and mingle with the locals only to find that foreigners have taken over Jamaica too. Beware, you will be hassled to visit the stores but if you aren't interested, just keep walking, they'll leave you alone. I meet some nice people at this location as well. Overall, good trip and I will be back.

Room Tip: RM 210 was just fine for me... I peeked in a room at the Sunset bldg and it was very small. I meet a...
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I visited the Royal Decameron for the first time on April 27th. The first thing I liked was the location...only five minutes from the airport! We arrived around noon and I requested a room in the Sunset building because of reviews I had read on Tripadvisor. The room was not ready...check-in time is 3pm. In the meantime we had lunch, checked out the resort, and hung out at one of the bars.
We got room #1 and were very pleased. The room was huge with a king size bed and very clean. The beach was 50 yards from our door and it was always easy to get a good "spot". The location was perfect for watching the planes coming in from all over the world! The water was awesome...I enjoyed just floating...very relaxing.
The food was too good...we both put on a couple of pounds...and the service was great! We ate at the grill and the main restaurant.
The shows after dinner were awesome! We were very impressed with professionalism of the vocalists, dancers,and the musicians!
Wifi is $5.00/hour and only available the lobby...for those of you dependent on technology. It didn't phase me...the purpose of my vacation was to disconnect and unwind.
We're planning our next visit already!!

Room Tip: Sunset building room #1 is the best!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!