“Great Place to Unwind” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

You added Royal Decameron Montego Beach to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2 Gloucester Avenue | St. James - Jamaica, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great Place to Unwind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I visited the Royal Decameron for the first time on April 27th. The first thing I liked was the location...only five minutes from the airport! We arrived around noon and I requested a room in the Sunset building because of reviews I had read on Tripadvisor. The room was not ready...check-in time is 3pm. In the meantime we had lunch, checked out the resort, and hung out at one of the bars.
We got room #1 and were very pleased. The room was huge with a king size bed and very clean. The beach was 50 yards from our door and it was always easy to get a good "spot". The location was perfect for watching the planes coming in from all over the world! The water was awesome...I enjoyed just floating...very relaxing.
The food was too good...we both put on a couple of pounds...and the service was great! We ate at the grill and the main restaurant.
The shows after dinner were awesome! We were very impressed with professionalism of the vocalists, dancers,and the musicians!
Wifi is $5.00/hour and only available the lobby...for those of you dependent on technology. It didn't phase me...the purpose of my vacation was to disconnect and unwind.
We're planning our next visit already!!

Room Tip: Sunset building room #1 is the best!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Polish first
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Decameron for our Honeymoon in March, 2013. Overall, we had a pretty good experience. Overall our experience was good, but we weren't too impressed with anything.

LOCATION

The location was pretty good. We loved the crystal clear water and the great ocean and sunset views. It is a short 5 minute drive from the airport, and there were plenty of taxis waiting at the airport to give us a ride, which was $15. The hotel is located on the hip strip, which can be good and bad. There are a lot of shops along the strip, but many of them sell the same stuff. Also, if you walk out of the resort, prepare to be hassled non-stop by street vendors. There are usually a handful of them waiting outside the gate to the resort waiting on people to leave so they can get you to come take a look at their stuff. We noticed though that if you just say "no thanks" and keep walking, they will leave you alone.

HOTEL

We arrived around 3:00 on a Monday and were checked in within about 10-15 minutes. The staff was mostly nice, with the exception of one of the guys at the front desk. There was a nice gentleman who took our bags to our room and got us a drink from the bar while we were waiting to check in. We had an oceanview room on the 2nd floor and were pleased with it. I know a lot of people had problems with their water or the A/C, but we didn't have any issues. Our room also had a great view of the ocean. It smelled a little funny at first, but after about an hour of having the sliding doors open the smell was gone. We liked the different activities available at the resort including basketball, volleyball, kayaking, paddleboating, and other water activities. The water was rough for most of the trip, so we didn't get to do a lot of water activities, but we did get to go paddleboating and it was a lot of fun.

FOOD/DRINKS

I have some poor reviews of the food and, honestly, I don't know what they are talking about. We both thought the food was great! They had so many different things at the buffet that we would not have normally eaten in America. Souk (the fancier restaurant) was very good as well. The Beach Grill was OK for a quick snack, but don't plan on eating a full meal there. The grill offers a lot of American food to appeal to the tourists, but they don't make it as well. But, what's the point of going to Jamaica if you're just eating to eat a hot dog or french fries? Eat the local food, you can eat American food any time you want!

One thing that we were very disappointed with was the drinks. The pop didn't taste right - it almost seemed syrupy. Anytime we got a mixed drink it was either very watered down or basically straight liquor. Perhaps they just make the drinks differently there, but we didn't have any mixed drinks that were mixed correctly. However, the Red Stripe was great and plentiful, and the Rum Cream was great as well.

STAFF

As I mentioned earlier the staff was nice for the most part. The people at the front desk, with the exception of the one male, who seemed like it was an annoyance to help anyone with anything, were very nice and helpful. The waiters at the buffet and the were all very nice and made our experience great. One of the lifeguards approached us when we got there and helped us plan a 1-day trip to Negril. While the trip was pretty good, we were misled about the price. He told us it would be $60 per person, for a total of $120. However, this did not include admission to Mayfield Falls, another $40 at $20/person. Then, at the end of the tour, the guides basically asked you to give them a tip. The trip takes place out in the middle of the jungle, so there was nowhere to get change and all I had was a $20. Also, you HAVE to have water shoes to go through the tour of the falls, which was another $20. On top of that we had food in Negril and things to eat along the way, which ended up being about $50. So, the $120 that we were quoted ended up being well over $200. However, we did have a good time, especially at Rick's Cafe. The other stop was 7-mile beach in Negril. We ate at Margeritaville and regret it. The food wasn't very good and was way too expensive. But, the trip allowed us to see another side of Jamaica that we wouldn't have normally seen.

OVERALL

Overall I would rate our trip at about 3.5 out of 5. The hotel was nice for the most part, but you can see why this is one of the cheaper resorts in the area. If you have a bigger budget to work off of, I would look at other resorts in the area. But, if your budget is smaller, like ours was (total of about $2,200 with airfare and 5 nights), the Royal Decameron is a pretty good choice.

Room Tip: You came to Jamaica to see the ocean, so make sure to get an oceanview room! They are only $10 more...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ft Worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Im going to start with....I WILL BE BACK :). Royal Decamron was Great..from the time we got there til the time we left... Me,my cousin.and two co workers arrived on a Friday and left the following Friday..we we're greeted with a smile and a cool welcome drink..we were then taken to our rooms which were ocean front..our room had a front door which was garden view and the back were glass double doors of view of the ocean..a rest room with toilet and tub..2 Vanity area areas one with a sink...a small closet area with a rack for swim suits to dry, ironing board and coat hangers..2 double beds...and they were VERY comfortable..the breakfast was my favorite meal of the day...fresh while u wait omelet..the fresh baked bread was wonderful.. Entertainment was good every night...club was rocking every night..late night grill had good jerk chicken..laying out on the beach was lovely...shout out to the staff...hip strip was full of shops, small markets, the clubs...all not far from the hotel...this property is wonderful and I highly recommend you see for yourself..

Dee

Room Tip: We were in room 14
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Enough about food and services, my husband and I enjoyed it all, but swimming in the sea...

We stayed in "Royal Decameron Montego Beach" for 6 days.. I was a little bit sceptical and concerned about this 3 stars hotel, especially about beaches and swimming in the sea. As I love to swim in the sea (not in swimming pools) I always try to find more information about beaches and sea water. But this time there was only one negative review about the sea being too deep (exactly what I needed!) and jellyfish (exactly what I hated!). We risked and won having very a relaxing and enjoyable holiday.

I'd like to emphasise the view from our room (number 39) - clear and unbelievable colour of water, endless sea... It looked like I could jump straight from the balcony to the water and swim feeling a part of this world (specially mornings at 7-30 without anybody around me)! I would recommend this hotel to people who appreciate swimming in incredibly clean deep sea!

On the whole I could say that this hotel is wonderful for people who'd like to stay in a small hotel with national atmosphere, to taste food which is very close to Jamaican national food, to listen to Jamaican music (especially during the day on the beach) watching girls from the entertainment team who danced and moved amazingly; and of course to have great swimming!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from our 3rd trip to Jamaica mon! This was the 2nd time we stayed at the Royal Decameron in MoBay. We absolutely love this resort! Everything was amazing this trip. The hotel is under new management, and the staff was constantly busy cleaning. There was also construction being done on the stage bar while we were there. The staff was very friendly this trip. No complaints there.

I read a lot of complaints about the quality of the food. The food is decent for the money. We stayed in Negril 2 years ago at a non all inclusive resort. Trying to find food was a challenge there. At least at the Royal Decameron you can find something to fill your stomach with. The main thing to keep in mind here is that a lot of the food is spicy.
We ate at all the restaurants, but primarily ate at the buffet. The breads are amazing. We loved the Jerk Chicken and Pork that we ate a few times. Also, the omelets were great and prepared to order. We loved the grill, and had lunch there several times. We did not like the beef in Jamaica. Our Jamaican friends don't eat beef, so I took that as a sign to not eat the beef.
The sit down restaurant was a nice change for dinner. It was nice to be waited on both there and at the grill.

We loved the beach near the grill. The snorkeling was great on the reef straight off the beaches. We saw lots of colorful fish, brain coral, sting rays, and even an eel! We actually saw more sea life there than we did on our glass bottom boat tour. But I would recommend the glass bottom boat. For $20 per person, and Captain Poly on the red glass bottom boat rocked.

The Royal Decameron is a great value for the money. The views are amazing and the staff are wonderful. This is a casual hotel, so if you want a stuffy pretentious resort, don't stay here. We will return again one day.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 7 day stay......no complaints at all, best birthday vacation ever. No omplaints at all, location location location....clean, safe, fun. Staff very friendly, always cleaning the property. Beaches ( all 3) awesome. View is awesome, we had room 222 above the swim up bar pool, no problems at all, The sea is absolutely beautiful!! We cannot wait to get back. Would highly recommend this property. I did my research and decided to select this property and I am so happy I did.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 222, overlooking the swim up bar pool, no problems with noise, etc. The pools clo...
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

CHECK IN
My bf and I stayed from April 22nd-25th and had a room with a garden view as part of the package we booked. Based on the recommendations from other reviewers, I had asked for a room with an ocean view but unfortunately, the woman at the front desk said there weren't any. Luckily, the room we had did have a wonderful view and I didn't even have to pay extra. We arrived early, around 12:30pm but our room wasn't ready so we gave them our luggage and headed towards Passa Passa for the lunch buffet. The check in process was pretty easy and we were even handed drinks from the bar while we waited (note that the drink was very sweet). But it would have been nice to been given a more detailed explanation of the resort, what's available, when things are open, etc. We basically had to feel our way around the resort, which was OK.

ROOM
Our room was on the ground floor (13) of the Sunset building. It was pretty big with 2 full beds and of course, the beautiful ocean view. The beds were a little uncomfortable for me and after the first night, woke up with a sore shoulder. The water pressure in the bathroom was fine and it came with the standard amenities (no fridge though). Definitely not a luxury room but great that it's quiet on this side of the resort.

FOOD
Passa Passa is the open buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They had American friendly Jamaican dishes and a decent selection of options. The food overall was just OK with breakfast being the best of the 3 since it had the "make your own" omelette station. This has only been my 2nd all-inclusive resort and I did take that into consideration. Souk is only open for dinner and requires a reservation.We ate there twice and was thankful as the food was better than the buffet. Beach Grill is near the main beach/pool/deck area and serves burgers, pizza, patties, etc. It's good for a snack but similar to Passa Passa, the food was just OK. Drinks at this resort I found to be very sweet, including the alcoholic beverages and yes, I did see plenty of people carrying GIANT travel mugs. Although I brought mine, I never used it.

BEACH
Yes, the beach here is small but I actually really liked it! The beach is divided into 3 sections: 1 by the main area near the pool, Beach Grill wood deck and the DJ (aka louder, party area), 2nd is next to the hammocks and the 3rd is closest to the quiet side of the resort, the Sunset Building. I spent a majority of the time at the 2nd section next to the hammocks. All beach sections had a good amount of sand and required about less than 10 steps before you touched water. To me, it was fantastic! There were also plenty of chairs and at most, only 4-6 other people in a given area. The resort sectioned off the ocean with buoys and the water was very calm with little to no waves. Although most people complained at how small the resort's beach was, it was actually my most favorite thing about the vacation. And the fact that it was clear and blue...absolutely gorgeous!

STAFF
I noticed there were 2 separate groups at this resort. Group A loved to drink, hang out by the DJ/entertainment staff and really party out during the day. Group B were the couples or families that wanted a more quiet, relaxing time. Depending on which group you related to more, the staff accommodated. Group A knew most of the staff and talked to them a lot. It was really nice to see them laugh and joke with one another. Group B got the regular hellos but weren't as interactive with the staff (that was basically me and my bf), which was absolutely fine as well. In Jamaica, because the cost of living is high but the pay is low, people were actually tipping at this resort very openly.

OVERALL
Given the price, the location ($15 cab ride to/from the airport) and the fact that it's a nice resort with a small beach, I think it was a very good value. Because the food wasn't so great and the drinks were too sweet for my taste, I would have to reconsider whether or not I would stay here in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!