Overall, it was great for us. Let me explain. There were 6 of us that went together flying from Toronto. We did not start off on the right foot (at the resort).
Our flight landed at 9:25am in Mo Bay. After clearing customs and walking into the warm Jamaican air we found Lindsay McFarlane from SNL tours (who we hired previously to going to Jamaica). More on Lindsay later.
Lindsay dropped us at the resort which was 4 minutes from the airport. We really loved that aspect. We check in and were told our rooms would be ready by three. So we got changed, found some food, some drink, and some entertainment for the rest of the day. We return to the front desk around 3:30 and only one of the three rooms were ready. It wasn't until 6:30 that all three rooms were ready. It would not have been so bad waiting for our rooms if the front desk staff was more friendly and informative. Would have been helpful if they would have explained why it was taking so long ie; we want to have you guys close together (or something to that effect). We found it difficult to even be noticed. The front desk had no interest in even making eye contact. Maybe it was a bad day.
While I'm talking about staff, most bartenders were the same (even with tipping). Not a lot of interest in making eye contact or acknowledging, but in Jamaican time, you still got a drink. The entertainment itself was good at night. There was not much going on in our end of the resort during the day. The entertainment staff was mediocre. Pretty amazing that we had more fun with the maintenance staff and security. Between Nelson, Marlin, Aubrey, Mr. Cool and Ch____ thank you. You guys were absolutely incredible. And for "the pasta lady," You rock!
The resort itself; Our room was always tidy and the housekeeper was kind. We stayed in room #'s 2, 5, and 23, all in the sunset building. The view was perfect and the sunsets were always beautiful. We spent a lot of time watching the planes come in, catamaran's on tour, and people out snorkeling. The beach(es) was very small but serves its purpose. We never had any difficulty finding a chair to relax on. The food was great. Always something new to try. Disco was the only bar going on after 11pm.
Took about 20 minutes to walk from our resort to Margaritaville (which we did in the daytime and the night time). We always felt safe, never had any issues, even when we walked home from there at 2am. Go to the Pork Pit! It was about 10 minutes further than Margaritaville, but it was awesome. Wait until the airport to get liquor, it was cheaper than the hip strip (even with bargaining). The hip strip was neat to see. It was great getting to chat with locals. If you don't want to buy anything from them, tell them that and they usually back off. Not many of them were overly aggressive.
Now onto Lindsay McFarlane. He was the best part of our trip. We hired him to take us where we needed to go. He was knowledgeable, easy going, and great to talk to. On the Sunday we (6) went to Chukka to ride through orange and coconut fields on Dune Buggies (so much fun), we went and ate at the Far Out Fish Hut (awkward at first but delicious), to a beautiful secluded beach, and then to the Luminous Lagoon (also recommended). On Monday we (2) went to Firewater (pretty cool), Cool Blue Hole (a MUST SEE), Dunn's River, and to Scotchies (a local restaurant *delicious*). We had an amazing day and this was our favorite day all week. Then Wednesday, we went Deep Sea fishing. Came back with 7 Mauhi Mauhi. Got to cook up and eat one of them. It was sooo good! And the tour itself was awesome. We came across a pod of hundreds (literally) of dolphins. It was sooo cool!
We spent more time off of the resort than on the resort which could have altered my opinion. I would return to Mo Bay in a heartbeat. I'm still undecided if I would return to RDMB. It was good for the price.
Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located five minutes away from Montego Bay International Airport near the commercial district and the Hip Strip, Royal Decameron Montego Beach is a beachfront property on white sandy beaches with crystal clear waters. Its facilities and ensure a relaxing holiday environment. This hotel has two restaurants, PassaPassa and Souk, where you can enjoy different international and regional dishes. During the day, you can partake in different recreational activities including dance lessons, aerobics and non-motorized water sports like kayaks, sailboats and diving lessons in the pool. In the evenings, enjoy our shows and dance till you drop at the disco of the Royal Decameron Montego Beach hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Royal Decameron Montego Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jack Tar Village
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Bay
- Royal Decameron Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Hotel
- Royal Decameron Montego Bay Jamaica
- Montego Beach
- Decameron Montego Bay
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach All Inclusive