“Extreme good value for the price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

You added Royal Decameron Montego Beach to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2 Gloucester Avenue | St. James - Jamaica, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Huntington Woods, Michigan
“Extreme good value for the price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We usually go to 5 star all inclusives but couldn't pass on the affordable price for this ( I am guessing) 3 star. It was older but very clean, and literally right on the beach! Very friendly staff who took us sailing and kept the alcohol coming. Although we claim we weren't overally impressed with the food - we gained 5 pounds last week so the food must have been more than adequate! If you have willpower, you can eat "clean" - plenty of salad, veggies, fruits, etc. Always options on proteins and at least 1 fish available. If we would go back to Monetego Bay we would go back to the Royal Decameron. Most rooms face the ocean so we fell asleep and woke to the sounds of the ocean.

Room Tip: I would ask for 2nd floor or higher so you can leave your door open to hear the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We loved this resort. It was clean, the staff were great, and the common areas were diverse and lovely.

This is a smaller resort so you will not find a room sized buffet but there was always something tasty to eat. There was a good mix of more traditional Jamaican fare and more tourist-friendly food. The baked bread section was fantastic.
Breakfast was until 10:30am with continental until 11 although they are super quick to remove food so basically from 10:20…you take your chances. We are late risers so breakfast until 11am would be great but it would likely be hard to turn over for lunch so I understand. From breakfast until 1am there is always something to eat.
The coffee is fantastic and they have a great tea section. Also this is the first tropical resort I have been too that the wine was drinkable-in fact the red was quite good.
The drinks are also good at the bar and they are VERY generous with the pour although I personally can’t stand pepsi so I would go to the corner store and buy coke. It was a bit of shame they did not use real fruit juice in their cocktails but honestly this is a small thing and for the price of the resort it perhaps is not doable.

Rooms
I think there is a range of rooms in the hotel as I saw some rooms facing the garden than seemed a bit older/smaller, to rooms with walk-out patios on the bottom floor, to the rooms on the third and fourth floor in the main complex facing the ocean with balconies. Our room was on the third floor and while the room was basic it was comfortable, a good size and with a great balcony overlooking the ocean. The beds are a tiny bit hard but nothing major, the AC works great, and TV has lots of channels. The one critique is that the light in the room is terrible-very hard to put make up on.

Beaches/Pools
There are three “beaches” here-one in front of the Grill which is good for kids, one that has no beach but you can dive off the dock and a third with a bit better swimming area and beach. The water is clear and calm on all beaches and I could not believe the fish. Even on rough/windy days still fine for swimming.
There are two pools and a hot tub which is actually hot.
They have several showers, snorkel equipment, kayaks and TONS of lounge chairs-fantastic.

Entertainment
First off the lobby band who play acoustically over lunch and dinner are fabulous. I really liked their song selections and the volume at which they played-it was never too loud and it wasn’t all reggae all the time. This was a really nice touch and very enjoyable over meal time.
The hotel entertainment staff work their butts off and the evening shows are quite good.

Suggestions
The one suggestion I would make, besides for the better light in the room, is that an ATM machine on site would be a welcome addition.
I would happily return to this resort and would recommend it to just about anyone although the bigger resorts might be better suited for kids/teens.

Room Tip: Room with patios are ground level -walk out and the rooms with balconies are higher up. I saw a few...
Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Our 2nd visit to this resort and we absolutely loved it. Great location minutes from the airport and right on the “Hip Strip.” The vast majority of the rooms have fantastic ocean views.

Rooms - Older hotel but the rooms are very attractive and well maintained. Bed are very comfortable and good quality AC. Housekeeping services are outstanding and the rooms and resort in general are immaculately cleaned and looked after with loving care. Most rooms are ocean view and the views are outstanding. The ocean is maybe 50 yards from the rooms.

Bars - 3 full bars (lobby, pool, and stage bar). Also a snack bar that has self serve Red Stripe on tap. At least 1 bar is open from 11AM to 2AM each day. They serve a wide variety of brands and popular cocktails and also have numerous of their own cocktail creations. The “Dirty Banana” and “Hummingbird” are delicious and 2 of our faves. The Staff is friendly and the service quick and efficient.

Food - The food ranges from good-excellent. Main buffet open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Breakfasts are outstanding with pretty much everything you can imagine, something for everyone. Offers a wide variety of lunch and dinner items. Wide variety of salads and fresh fruits/veggies. Soups are simply outstanding as are the fresh bread/bakery selections. Also offers a wide variety of entrée’s which are typically quite good. I.e. curried chicken and goat, jerk chicken and pork, tons of seafood dishes, pasta etc. We found the overall food quality of the dinner entrée’s down a little from our last visit but still very good for an AI - i.e. last year average rating would be about 8-9 this year about 7-8. Always plenty of good choices. There is 1 ala carte restaurant and they offer a menu of about 6 different entrees. The food is quite good. They are open all days except Mon and Fri and have sittings @ 6:30 and 8:30 PM each day. You can go as often as you like. To reserve just mention it to the staff in the buffet restaurant in the morning to reserve for that night. Snack bar is open during the day (noon-5PM) and late night (11PM -1AM). Great food including jerk wings, burgers, dogs, pizza to order, and salad items.

Entertainment
Nightly stage shows from about 8PM-11PM. Shows are different each night and usually pretty good with good audience participation. Also opportunities for visitors to get up and dance which we enjoyed as well. The entertainment staff also run various activities throughout the day time as well, i.e. games/contests, beach and pool volleyball, aerobics etc.

Beach/pools
2 nice sized pools and about 4-5 mini beaches. Pools and beaches are very close to the rooms and never a problem finding a spot. I.e. you don’t have to be out on the beach @ 6-7AM to get a spot. You can usually find a spot anytime of day. The largest beach area has a dock where you can jump/dive right into the water which is about 6-8 feet deep off the dock. The other beach areas you can walk into the water and it gradually gets deeper. Water shoes recommend for walk in as there is some rocks. Great snorkelling here as well. Can use snorkel gear for free for 1 hour/day. Also features a large hot tub (about 10-12 people).

Location - Awesome location. As noted pretty much all the rooms have fantastic ocean views, and ocean/pools are so close the rooms its great. We also liked the location being right in the Hip Strip area. Plenty of sights to see, shops, bar, restaurants, right outside the property within walking distance. Great to be able to walk in town without having to always take a taxi.

Staff and service - staff and service is very friendly and efficient. They seem to try pretty hard to ensure guests are well looked after. As this is a smaller resort typically you get to know some of the staff pretty good which is nice. To us the staff is one of the big pluses of the resort.

Overall
Highly recommended. This was our 2nd trip and we would have no hesitation going back and in fact plan to. The location and ocean views are 2nd to none. Staff is great and food/bars very good. Outstanding value for amount paid.

Any questions/comments please feel free to message me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dryden, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I booked 7 months in advance for 2 weeks through bookit.com. For the 2nd year in row The Decameron told us they were overbooked. We stayed at the Fun Club for a week and at Montego Beach for the 2nd week. We did not appreciate wasting 60 minutes beach time talking with the Montego Beach Decameron customer representative then being moved to the Fun Club in Runaway Bay which is 70 minutes away. It is not an upgrade. As compensation we were given free wifi, Dunn River Falls, room safe and 1/2 hr massage just at the Fun Club during the 1st week. The massage lasted 15 minutes. The wifi only works in the lobby. The return trip from the Fun Club to Montego Bay via taxi (a very old car) was very questionable. My wife complained to the front desk in Montego Bay about their choice of taxi. A previous year we rode in a "normal" taxi. We were stopped by the Police, no air conditioning, no speedometer and the car barely made it up the steep hills. The driver couldn't produce his taxi documents for the Police.
This was our 4th trip to Jamaica and 3rd to Royal Decameron. We know what to expect as we like the location, service, food and snorkeling. All 3 Decameron resorts are comparable. Montego Beach, Club Carribean and the Fun Club. We've stayed at all three but not by choice.
We like Jamaica but we are so disappointed with the overbooking situation. Booking in advance means nothing.
We were not the only people moved. A large group (17) out of Toronto prepaid a year in advance and were moved to the Fun Club.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Let me start by saying that I travel all the time for my work ( I stay on average at 10 resorts a year) and I also have done some backpacking. I have stayed in different type of accommodations, anywhere from hostels to a Five-Diamond hotel. I can make a difference between reality and unrealistic travelers expectations.

Resort:
This is one of my favorite resort I have been. Huge resorts dont impress me, I dont like having to use a shuttle, I dont need 3 buffets and 5 restaurants. I much prefer small and intimate atmosphere. I absolutely loved that you can walk from one end of the resort to the other side in less than 3 minutes. My husband liked the gym, the basketball court was nice.

Beach and Pool:

I don't even know where to begin. there is about 5 mini beaches on the resort. One of them was literally 5 steps down from our room. That was amazing!!! There was always chairs available, no need to wake up at 6 am to reserve one. The snorkeling was so nice. we enjoyed the beach so much that for the first time in al my travels that we did not once sit at the pool. Nit even for 5 minutes.

Room:
Okay it needs some renovations in there, but its big and clean. Beds were not uncomfortable.

Food:
Not a huge buffet but we both loved the food. The hours were great too. We preferred the buffet over restaurants.

Staff:
People were very nice, the reception girls were very helpful. No complaints there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was one of the most modest all-inclusive vacation spots my boyfriend and I have stayed in, but by no means, the worst. In fact, all we needed to have a good time was there-the beach was well-kept, clean, plenty of shaded areas to choose from, good food, drinks, and service. Huge thanks to the wonderful staff who checked us in at 10 am--when check-in time was 3 pm. Never felt too crowded, room was clean, very close to the airport--who could ask for better? We rented kayaks, paddle boats, snorkel gear, all available and free of charge. All in all, a great value--highly recommend it.

Denison, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My wife stayed at this resort from Feb 23 to March 1st. We booked this vacation thru bookit back in October, and were looking forward to this vacation. I kept reading the reviews for this resort as time got closer for our vacation and got nervous about some of the reviews that were coming in. The major issue seems to be when arriving at the resort it is overbooked and they want to ship you to their sister resort an hour away. Well this is exactly what happened to us when we arrived on Saturday afternoon at 4 oclock.. They claimed to be overbooked and wanted to ship us to runaway bay an hour away and then on Sunday ship us back, so basically waste a day traveling and unpacking between 2 resorts. Well my wife talked to the customer service rep at a different desk and told him this was unacceptable, after 15 minutes of heated discussion the service rep, stated there was nothing he could do, and my wife said she needed time to think over our decision. So standing there in the lobby they were serving us drinks and my wife started to cry, well within five minutes a room just magically opened up. On the upcoming list of arrivals that the resort had our names and 2 other parties were highlighted on their sheet as people to bump and it was thru places like bookit they were bumping, not thru travel agents so im not sure why that is but thats what happened.
Once we arrived at the room it was very nice and clean, and had a nice view of the ocean.. We laid on the beach for most of our stay and had a great time. The beach grill on the resort had good food something for everyone. Now back to the room service, we were usually out of our room by 9 in the morning and wouldnt return till 4 typically, and out of our entire stay they only got to our room twice.. The other days we just told room service not to bother and just give us towels and we would make due. Im not sure if the staff is understaffed or just slow but this would explain why people arriving at the resort are getting bumped since check in time is 3 and rooms arent getting cleaned until 4 or 5 in the afternoon.
We had a good time the staff was very nice. We did leave the resort a couple of times to do some shopping. Locals try to sell you crafted items and can be aggresive but if you tell them firmly no they will leave you be.
One other thing this was our third trip to Jamaica and first time at this resort. We always enjoy the reggae music, but this resort does not play any of that, its more modern day american music top 40 music, so if you are wanting that genuine Jamaican vibe this isnt the place for you.
All in all for the money it was a decent place to stay but traveling 10 hours to get there and to hassle about getting a room was a real turn-off. We will be going back to Jamaica again next year but will not be going back to this resort. We are not real picky people but if you pay for a vacation 5 months in advance they should have a room for you when you arrive, or at least explain to you that the cleaning staff has not got to the room yet to clean it and please wait.. I will gladly pay the few extra dollars to stay some where else.
Also when you get there they do have hidden fees such as a 2 dollar a day safe charge and then room tax which was an additional 36 dollars for our six day stay.. This is a honest review so take it for what it is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!