“My kind of vacation!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

You added Royal Decameron Montego Beach to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2 Gloucester Avenue | St. James - Jamaica, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Ajax, Canada
“My kind of vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was our second trip to the Royal Decameron MO BAY in eight months....and it didn't disappoint.

This resort is small, personable and every room in the place has an ocean view. The resort is a little dated but very well maintained.

My only critisism would be the rooms have very poor lighting at night and the pillows are flat and in need of refreshing.

Room Tip: Great views from room 223 and room 216
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Timmins, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Friendly, helpful staff made our stay a memorable one. As previously mentioned in another review, this resort is huge, its facilities are awesome, guest satisfaction appears to be foremost with entertainment and activities provided to help ensure guest enjoyment. Pools, beaches, non-motorized equipment are provided. Local artisans are allowed to offer their crafts for sale on site. An excellent gift shop is available at the entrance to the property. Other gift/souvenir shops are only a walk away, as is Margaritaville. Enjoyed waterfront activities including sailing, kayaking, swimming, as well as a massage provided at a beachfront location. Availability of a waterfront balcony as well as a lounging area on the opposite site of the building was most appreciated. Chartered a glass bottom boat moored at the resort dock for an excellent tour provided by a knowledgeable individual. Food was plentiful and the menu varied. Returning home to daily lows of -45 to -55 gave us good reason to question why we hadn't extended our stay in Jamaica. This was our first visit to an all-inclusive resort and our first New Year's away from the family. We would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I am going to do my best to keep this as realistic as possible. I did not go in with the expectations that his was a 5 star hotel nor a 1 star hotel just to be fair. One note before i get into this, a LOT of the travelers we met were shipped to the sister hotel because of overbooking and were very appalled by the quality of the sister hotel (Fun Decameron, Montego Beach), this place is known to do this, not sure there is a counter for when this happens but be aware that it might.

The room condition is poor. in regards to maintenance. It was rundown, be it from the weather or from general wear and tear, it just seems like it's wear became overwhelming for the staff to keep up with. My shower head was falling out of the wall and my toilet leaked from the base for the first two nights (was fixed twice during my stay). The wall under the sink was merely plywood as was a large chunk of wall in the closet. A lot of these things affected my room in now way but some (such as the the loose toilet) did.

The hotel grounds were in better condition than the rooms. Clean and well kept. The decor was great. I can't really recall a moment where I as disgusted outside of my room. We spent very little time in the pool. I can tell you that the main pool is very small though it does have a pool bar. We don't commonly spend time in the pool when at the beach but if it's your thing, it is small but clean. The resort is HUGE. I stretches for a half-mile. There are 2 buildings of rooms with beaches, hammock areas, docks, dining areas, etc lining the beach which was pretty awesome. We spend one day walking and relaxing at each part and each beach and were very content. The garden side was pretty cool. It had a basketball court, horshoe pit, playground, and gym. Very clean and cool atmosphere back there. The jacuzzi was oddly placed right next to the restaurant so it was closed most of the evening. There were 3 bars, all about the same and served the same drink. However the lobby bar seemed to be the most packed after noon when it opened.

The food was not as expected. I've been on budget vacations before, places where you don't expect a lot because your aren't spending a lot, this being one of them i did not expect great food but I the lack of taste and mediocre quality was frustrating. The late night snacks were not good however they were indeed just snacks (hot dogs, burgers, etc.). We tried the a la carte one night...it was the same exact thing as the buffet but served and had a better presentation.We ate out one night at a local joint down the road and it was the best mean we had all week.

The drinks are straight well drinks. You will not be getting much if your are a drink buff as far as liquor goes. The beer is limited to one choice, red stripe, which i personally enjoyed. We didn't really care about the choice of liquor because the drinks tasted delicious regardless. However the WINE was AWFUL. They have 1 choice of white and 1 choice of red, both boxed and a brand I've never seen or heard of. Absolutely terrible. We are wine drinkers and were pretty disappointed by this especially during dinner time.

The staff was questionable. Some where great and some were not so great. Some took the time to ask how you were doing and what they could do for you even if it wasn't their "job". However, on the other end of the spectrum there were those who just weren't happy to be there...which I guess i can understand.

Overall, Mobay isn't my favorite place on the island. There just wasn't much to do and though considered the most touristy location in Jam, it was very "dead". I am not saying it doesn't get a little more excitement at other times, but we took a day trip to Negril which seemed to be a hotspot. We fell in love with Negril.

Couple of misc points. The ocean is amazing at the hotel. It is crystal clear with some coral (be careful). There isn't much "beach" but enough to lay out. There are some places to jump off into the ocean which is cool. They had a blow up trampoline which was moreso a floating beach (to lay out on). They had some watersports, kayaking, windsurfing, paddle boats, and a catamaran. Some were free, the wind surfing was $25 to be taught by Polly which was well spent...got some great pics and had some fun, he is a good teacher. The entertainment was bearable. HOWEVER, on that note, we had been at the hotel for 3 minutes before getting dragged into beach games which was annoying, but it got better. The entertainment team is friendly and sociable. They remember your name and treat you like family while you are there. Some games are cheesy, some are fun, some are annoying but it's to be expected...something for everyone.

So to sum up. I would not go back to the Royal Decameron quite yet. I can tell you we've already decided to go to negril in a few months and then OR. It just seemed that to do anything fun we had to leave and go somewhere far away. So we are going to cut out the middleman in the future. However, if we had kids we would most definitely "consider" this place. For the money, this place has what you pay for but no more and no less. If you have kids and want something for everyone, shop this place. If you are looking for action, i would keep in mind that you will need to leave the resort to find it.

Room Tip: We were in room 111 which was not in great shape. We were literally behind the pool with a lot of fo...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was very impressed with the staff, they were always happy to help you. And when you ask for a strong drink Mark the bartender is there with one for you. The view from our room was the view of the pool bar and ocean, which was beautiful. There is water volleyball and water aerobics, the entertainment staff works around clock. The beach is the best, the other beaches are full of rocks, but this one is smooth, the water is turquoise blue. The bakery is absolutely delicious, and the chicken is very good. This might be a category four star but to me it was five star. The general manager is always making sure the resort runs smoothly and very clean, and that there is always good entertainment. I was very very happy. And telling my friends who are visiting Jamaica they need to stay at the Royal Decameron in Montego Bay @ the beach.

Suzette from Chicago

• Stayed February 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Tis Resort is a Jewel,The Value (worth every Penny) The Staff friendly they make you welcome
and truly want to make your stay remarkable. We will go back again for another stay
The Resort is spotless, Our rooms were clean,The food was excellant.
The Coffee Wow Blue Mountain coffee is superb and I'm not a Coffee drinker but I certinaly had
my quota each day.. I truly fell in Love with Jamaica. So don't be fooled by the negative
reviews they are not true.Some person said they had no Bacon for breakfast, I don't know where
he stayed I had my full of Bacon every morning with my breakfast...Toronto,Ontario

Room Tip: we were on the 4th floor with a wonderful view of the Ocean .
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel is a lovely little gem. I often travel solo and find it very safe and secure. It's not the newest or most grand hotel, but you get excellent value for money and even paying the price as a solo traveller (price is the same whether there is 1 or 2 people in the room) I find it more affordable than other places I have stayed.

The selection on the buffet is outstanding. Lots of fresh fruits, salad items, breads (!!), meats and cheeses along with hot carving stations, and several other hot items. The soups are great. At lunch, there is a panini grill station in the buffet. Awesome! The menu at the a la carte has been switched a little from last time. It's nice; definitely worth it for a evening. Beach grill is fine for a quick snack. They had sweet potato fries one day this year - we shared several plates of them. Yum!

My room was always cleaned well and promptly. Common areas were always well attended to. The washroom facilities in the lobby and on the beach were clean - no concerns.

There were some guests who hogged the swim-up bar, starting at 8am and staying in the pool long after it closed at 5pm. It's unfortunate that those people felt that they could be verbally abusive to the staff and ignorant to other guests.

I felt the entertainment was lacking from my previous trips. The former reggae band has been replaced with something else entirely. The sound was much too loud, and resulted in people moving into the lobby area or heading to their rooms early to visit. The show afterwards was the usual resort fare - sometimes funny, often over the top. The Decameron Dancers put on a "Circus" show that I understand is a new production. It was really great; probably the best show I've seen at a resort to date.

I can't wait until my next trip!

Room Tip: Most rooms are oceanview. If you book run of the house or garden view, you will not get oceanview...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Regina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Repeat holiday from previous year. Staff are awesome. Food is hot tastey with good selection at all meals. My only complaint would be the lack of good evening entertainment. The staff try hard but it comes out very amateur and juvenile. We did have issues with one group of loud rude drunk guests that really upset the other guests and the staff. Not sure it helped but when I lodged a formal complaint to the asst Mgr. they seemed be be better behaved the following days but still irrated most of the staff and guests. Sad that people lack respect. Could have been a great vacation.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!