“Great vacation!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Montego Beach to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2 Gloucester Road | St.James, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #20 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Clifton, New Jersey
“Great vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hubby and I just returned from Jamaica and already planning our trip back. I love this island:) On our arrival at the hotel we were informed that there was no rooms available because of maintenance issues and would instead be transported to a sister hotel Royal Decameron Fun which was an hrs away drive. Option #2 would be to receive a refund of our money and find another resort. I had read reviews about other people being told the same thing and could not believe this was happening to us. I was absolutely furious. I told the lady at the desk we would go with option #3; my option; sit at the lobby for my entire vacation. We refused to move. 10 minutes later a room opened up. It was not an ocean view that we had paid for but the next day we got an ocean view room, a free bottle of champagne and a free safe ( safe fee is $2 /day). The reminder of our stay went by smoothly. We barely stayed at the resort and were always out and about. Highlight of my trip was the Dunns fall. We also spend a day in negril at Margaritaville. The beaches there are so much nicer. The beaches at Mo bay are very rocky. The food at the resort was not the best but edible. Breakfast was my favorite. Bring plenty of dollar bills coz tipping goes a long way. The staff at the resort were friendly and the entertainment crew was amazing. Despite the rough start to our vacation we had an amazing time and cannot wait to go back. We brought our own beach towels and did not have to use the towel cards which cost $20 if lost. Am from Kenya and this place felt like home way from home. Also the resort is right on the hip strip which was great for shopping.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are ocean view. Higher rooms are better and quieter. We stayed at room 419 which had a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

2,239 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I went to this resort with another couple. It is a very cute resort. Not a highrise and is quite small, which allows you to get to know people and staff. Food was quite good I am a picky eater and could always find something. Our first night there we were put in "Gardenview rooms". There are grubby and cell like. Front desk staff were appoligetic and said we would be moved in the morning. We were but that first impression was not good. Staff are very friendly and outgoing.
Big complaint is the pillows. They are about 1 inch thick and hard.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I decided to book my wedding here since my fiancé and I were on a tight budget and wanted to make a vacation out of our wedding. We had a total of 20 of us staying at various times. The wedding package was very reasonable considering what was included. Let me start off by saying that my now husband and I are VERY easy going. From the very beginning I vowed not to get stressed about the wedding since everything was out of my hands. Not every bride would be so easy going so if you need every minute detail written in stone this may not be the wedding for you.

The wedding coordinator, Jodian, was great. She replied in a very timely manner to all of my questions and concerns and within a couple emails we had everything set. We set the date, time, and created a menu for a reception dinner.

We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel, a nice 5 minute drive. When we arrived a few men helped us with our bags as we got in line to check in. It really does depend on who checks you in. I saw my family members get checked in by pleasant nice employees, I was not as lucky. The woman checking me in was pretty slow. And I mean slow as in she kept asking the same questions, I kept answering the same and she seemed to have no clue what to do. The other front desk staff eventually tried to help us out to move this process along. I think Chris Ann was the one girl’s name. She was so friendly and helpful. Without her we it probably would have taken over an hour to write out receipts ($4 per room per night tax, safe key $2 per day and fridge $5 per day) and get to our room. We rarely had to deal with the front desk so do not base your entire stay off of them. We got our blue bracelet, and towel card. Remember your towel card number and your room number!!! When we went to return our towels for the cards our cards seemed to have gotten misplaced at some point during the past 11 days. We checked back a couple hours later and the man working at the water sports area had found them, but it was enough to make me almost lose it.

We were given room 39. It was in the sunset building on the 2nd floor. Gorgeous view, if we had been given anything higher/ further down the view would have gone down as it was close to the end of the resort where there was a nice dock with barbed wire. Our room was very spacious. The room was fine for me, it could have used a fresh coat of caulk in the bathroom, but I wasn’t there for the bathroom tiles. Each room did have a flat screen tv. We had plenty of hangers in the closet area which was right by a vanity area with chair, the room included an ironing board and iron, a small sitting area with a table and 2 chairs, a lounge chair, and on the balcony another set of chairs and a table. There were about 3 decent size drawers under the tv and 2 smaller drawers by either side of the bed.

Our bathroom was a decent size, a lot of space on the counter. There was a small bottle of shampoo, lotion and a facial bar of soap on the counter. The water pressure was good, every now and then the pressure would die for a couple seconds, but then go back to normal. I never had a problem with the temperature either. The light switch for the bathroom was on the outer wall, I learned to live with it.

The AC was good. I developed a respiratory infection while I was there so we didn’t use it too much, but when we did it was good. From one side of the room we could hear the waves crashing, from the other we could hear the road outside of the resort. A lot of motorcycles, car alarms and horns, nothing the resort could control. As far as the noise from the planes landing, I expected way more noise. I hardly noticed it after the first day, and thought it was neat to watch them all come in.

The food was pretty good, the bread was incredible. I could have eaten a loaf at every meal. For breakfast there was an omelet/ egg station where you can get bacon if you’d like. They usually had a lot of fruit, cereal, breads, juices and so on. The waitresses walk around clearing your plates, giving you coffee (which was excellent), tea etc. Dakeisha was our absolute favorite. We would sit in her section every breakfast and lunch. By day 2 she knew what we all drank and how we took our coffee. That’s impressive for 20 people. She was so sweet. For lunch there was usually a pasta station with tomato sauce, alfredo sauce and sometimes meat sauce. There was also a sandwich station along with the other basics. Dinner had a different theme every night and I never found myself hungry. There were usually 2 different soups each night. To all the reviewers who said the food was horrible try to remember you are not paying for a 5 star cuisine. My sister who is a strict vegetarian found something at every meal. The restaurant Souk required reservations and that is where we had our reception dinner. That was the only time we ate there. I found the food good, but wouldn’t go out of my way and pay to eat there again when the buffet is just as good. I am a splenda person, so if you like splenda you may need to bring your own, I only saw equal. And that is no big deal to some people but just a little heads up.

The entertainment was… well entertaining. Some nights were better than others, but overall fun. The entertainment staff did their best to make everyone feel like a part of the DeCameron family. Brittney, Shaq, Dominick, Demitri, and Smurf were great. They never wanted you to feel uncomfortable, just included in the fun. Day or night these hard workers were willing to go the extra mile to make sure your stay is great. Another person I want to mention is Marcus. He is a lifeguard. Our first day he introduced himself and we talked every day. I told him I was interested in seeing other parts of the island, but probably only had the energy to do one day of touring, oh and also there would be 16 other people that wanted to go. He said he could set us up with a friend, we would take 2 vans go to Mayfield falls (not Dunn River), have lunch on our way to Negril and finish the night at Ricks Café watching the sunset. It sounded fantastic so I agreed, gathered everyone together and arranged a day trip. Marco was so helpful without being pushy, and I will always have him to thank for the wonderful memories of out excursion day.

When we arranged the trip Marco told us to meet him near the shops across from the resort at 9am. So the lot of us met him by the souvenir shop at 9. He introduced us to the drivers and assured our good time. Marco had work that day so we left him and took off. I’m not going to lie, after 20 minutes I was hoping we didn’t make a terrible mistake and that we were actually with legit drivers. Our ride to Mayfield was a bit rough. The roads are very narrow and it was up a mountain. And then the road… well let’s just say it wasn’t paved all the way. To me the van ride was completely worth it, but if you get nervous with narrow bumpy roads you may want to take some sort of medication. When we arrived at the falls I felt a lot better realizing I was just being paranoid. Mayfield falls was absolutely beautiful. I’ll review that at some point soon. Long story short trust Marco and his drivers. Marco met us close to the resort around 8pm to make sure we all ok and had a great time. We paid $30 each for the van, we tipped the drivers $10 each, the 3 people at the falls about $10 each, lunch was about $18, Rick’s was whatever you wanted to spend. I spent about $90 for that trip and would do it again only tipping higher because they really deserved it.

The drinks were ok. Red stripe beer was the only type of beer available, but my group was ok with that. The liquor isn’t top shelf, but they were still decent. Georgette by the pool bar was very sweet. If you’re a bar snob this is not your place. If you can manage with cheap drinks, it’s heaven. They also have Pepsi, Sprite and delicious virgin daiquiris. The water was safe to drink (I had it with every meal and did not get sick).
The wedding was perfect for my husband and I. We had a 4 o’clock wedding on the beach, followed by cake and sparkling wine on the beach. For our reception dinner we rented out Souk for the first seating at 6:30.
As far as things being taken from our hotel room, we had no incidents. Every morning when we left our room we put $5 on the counter by the vanity, as the days went on the stack of $5 bills remained. The money wasn’t touched, and everything was cleaned around it. By the time we left the housekeeping had earned that stack of money and we had no problem leaving our valuables in the room. I’m sure not everyone is as honest as the people who were cleaning my room, but that’s where you use your best judgment.

Housekeeping wasn’t the fastest, but it was always done. They run on Jamaican time we were usually out from around noon to 5 during the day and somewhere in between is when our room was made up.

A few tips: like many reviewers say bring your own cup for drinks and the bartenders/ servers will use your larger cups for your drinks. When you check in you get a bottle of “Wata” in your room. When leaving the resort you will be solicited for drugs, money etc. Be firm and polite with the no “thank you”s, or make sure you go with a decent group (I went with my husband, father, and father in law so us ladies weren’t easy targets). The woman and man at the tshirt store were very nice, but just know most of the stuff there is cheaply made so make sure to get a good price (my friend paid $12 for a tshirt and the design started peeling the second she put in on in the resort).

Some of us took the Glass Bottom boat with Captain Polly. He was very fun. We went out on a very choppy day so the majority of didn’t feel so well, but it was a great experience and worth the $20. There was also free snorkeling gear, paddle boats, and kayaks.

In our 11 days we saw a few other brides at the resort; we saw families with young children, late teens, retired couples, family reunions and more here. It seemed very accommodating to everyone. My last piece of advice is to tip. A dollar goes a long way and the workers are very appreciative. I tipped everyone and always got a thank you and a smile. Please feel free to ask me for more info from our stay or on the wedding.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wallaceburg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We just came back from the Decameron, arrived on the 18th of Jan. We were there to meet 2 other couples, and when 4 of us got there there was no rooms, apparently that is how we found all week alot of people were being moved to other resorts, or having to sleep with strangers, or other couples if they knew them and were fortunate like us. Bad management, they could not of cared less that we had no room, or were put up in a cot for a night and had to check out and wait for a room until after 3 the next day! When we left this bad management was still going on, and people had no rooms to go to when they arrived. We still had a great time, despite the managers not wanting to talk to us or to compensate us for what happened to us and others.The rest of the staff was fabulous and we still managed to make the best of a bad situation, There are no guarantees at this resort, even if you call that this will not happen to you as we did see this all week going on, with the poor staff having to deal with it instead of the manager, being a man and stepping up to tell people over booked.They weren't but lied to alot of people about this.Wanted us to get back on a bus to go to another resort away from our friends we were to meet there, they did not care about this though.This resort should of been called "BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK, and hope for a room with a view!!!!"We had great friends there and that is what made our stay the best, and the friendly staff.Would I go again, not sure until they, the manager from Columbia gets his act together, and treats paying guests with respect! But I would go there for the Jamaican vibe, friends and friendly staff. The room we finally did get was great and over the ocean, but had to wait a day and a half to get into it, was promised more, but never got it either or an apology for all the trouble.

Room Tip: South side, over pool, very quiet and nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Leon, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I and his brother and his wife stayed at the RDMB Jan. 14th - 21st, 2013. Let me say it was pretty much a perfect vacation. Friendly staff, great food, wonderful shows at night . We could not have asked for a more perfect room, ground floor in the sunset building. I could lay in bed in the mornings and watch the ocean. By far our best experience during this vacation was when we ran into Zipp in the gift shop of the RDMB, we hired him for the day to take us to Negril starting with 7 mile beach where we met some of the locals that ran Auntie Thrills corner. They had U.S $2 red stripe and took a live lobster out of the ocean and prepared our lunch. They made us feel at home. Zipp took us to a couple of other places he was our private tour guide and educated us along the way, even stopped along the way to get another red stripe. Zipp is very reasonably priced and by far the most fun and relaxed excursion you could pay for. So if you get to RDMB go to the gift shop and ask for Zipp before you book any day trips. He will also take you to supper, shopping or even back to the airport. Couldn't ask for a nicer guy.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Sunset building quieter than main building.
Stoughton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was a repeat destination for us. As everyone states the location is great, the rooms are dated. The staff for the most part is friendly. I had one rude trainee at the front desk, but I discussed the poor customer service with the resident manager. He thanked for pointing out the problem. The dining room manager was awesome for our large group and even got a birthday cake (personalized) on very short notice. This man went out of his way to make the birthday a special event. Mostly the people who work there are friendly and helpful. I will not let my one bad experience cloud the trip. Food is good and the variety is great. The bread is to die for. Despite the negative reviews that I am reading I would still go back to this resort again. I have always booked through a travel agent so do not know if this is the problem with no rooms or not. We did have to wait for our rooms on arrival, but we did arrive at noon. They keep your bags for you, so go ahead and enjoy some food and beverages while you are waiting. You can get free internet by walking out the front door of the lobby, so you don't have to pay for it. You can buy a bottle of soda from the gift shop for US $1, nice to have in your room. Some nice added touches in the rooms would be a bottle of water daily and a box of tissues for the week. Overall the employees try really hard to please the guests. The entertainment staff is friendly and lively. Pool area with swim up bar is fun. My hope is the new management can work on some of the minor issues to make this an even better place.

Room Tip: Upper level by the pool is quieter at night for sleeping/
Winnipeg, MB Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I will break this up for everyone. I traveled with my family, including a 4-year old nephew, 3 sisters (aged 29-23), and our parents (50+).

This is the only place I will ever return to in Montego Bay!!

Location: Excellent. Right on the Hip Strip. Safe walking to all shopping, dining, and additional abrs/etc.

Food: There are plenty of options, the food is always fresh. The bread is to die for (baked fresh daily). The breakfast has an omlette/egg station, and there was always plenty of selection to choose from. Dinner has theme nights, and the serving staff were always pleasant and helpful. Best thing: small resorts = NO LINEUPS!!! The snack bar was good when the main buffet was closed, and great for kids as well.

Drinks: always made fresh, bartenders were pleasant, and always eager to serve you. It didn't matter if I was tipping or not (sometimes my money wasn't with me), I always received good service.

Rooms: always clean and done up daily. The rooms are dated and older, but you only sleep here, remember? They are large enough and have awesome ocean-views and great balconies!

Entertainment: the staff was amazing, and the nightly shows were great. The pool staff/lifeguards were great. Shout out to Malcom and Leeroy!

Internet: wifi available in the lobby area seemed to work great on my iphone. Tip: you can access from 2 devices.

Beach: if you've ever stayed here, you know this isn't a traditional beach that you can walk along for miles. The beach is in sections, separated by boardwalks. Great for kids, no worries of them going out of bounds, and also great for snorkelling right from the beach! There is a larger beach alongside the resort that you can swim to if that's your thing, but you have to share it with the locals who frequent there.... they are all awesome!

Pool: was good, we had the place almost to ourselves the whole week (week after New Years), so it was awesome.

Watersports: there are paddle boats, snorkel equipment and other great things to do. everything is included. Also you can do a glass bottom boatr/snorkel cruise for $20 which takes you out to the reef a few minutes away where you can see all kinds of fish!

Tip: Exchange your money at the hotel - better rates than the aiport!

If you would like to know anything about this resort: please message me....

Room Tip: main building rooms have stairs (a very small elevator). if you like the beach/pool ask for a main...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!