“"Fun Time But Rooms Were Outdated & Food was Blah"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

You added Royal Decameron Montego Beach to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2 Gloucester Avenue | St. James - Jamaica, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
New York City, New York
“"Fun Time But Rooms Were Outdated & Food was Blah"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Traveled with my boyfriend The resort itself was small & nice. Check in was nice & quick 1st room they gave us was no good they were painting the room next door & our room smelled like primer & paint.So we asked the front desk to move us which they did but the only room they had available were 2 double beds we ended up taking it we just pushed the beds together and the room happened to be bigger so it worked out we had a groung floor walk out the oceanview was incredible & we had our own private beach right infront of our room we were not in the main building. Not much of a beach but they had plenty of chairs there were like 3 different sections. The ocean water was amazing crystal clear blue water we hung out in the ocean everyday just laying on a chair in the water never even went to the pool. Now for the food VERY DISAPPOINTING. I maybe found 1 thing I liked at every meal. The buffet was very small and not enough choices. Even Jamaican night was not great everything was jerk, I eat a lot of west Indian food back home and they had no curry anything not even plaintains. We did go to the resteraunt the food was better then the buffet. Golden Crust food is better then the resorts & thats sad. Some of the staff were not that friendly and we are tippers so they should smile. The shows were cool something to sit down and watch. We met a lot of people also staying at the resort that were really nice. We went outside the resort for some shopping as soon as you walk out of the gate of the RD You are right in the city of course it is Ghetto but was safe you will be approached by people selling weed if you dont want it just say no and keep it moving and dont go in the market across the street in the ally they all are a pain in the butt and want you to look at thier stuff way to aggressive. We bought stuff at the vendors on the resort and they gave us a great deal. All and All we had a good time what is most important to me is a beautiful ocean good company and if they updated the rooms & the staff was more friendly & they improved the food it would be a lot better.

Room Tip: oceanview walk out that was not a part of the main building was nice and quiet felt like you had a p...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Polish first
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I went to Royal Decameron Montego Bay for our 8 day honeymoon.

Pros: The resort was clean and well maintained. There were a surplus of fun activites that were included.

Cons: The staff was extremely rude. It started at the front desk and got worse as our stay went on. The front desk employees made you feel like you are in their way and completely lack any customer service skills, which we brushed off at first because we were on our honeymoon and we were determined to have an amazing time. We headed straight to the beach after we unpacked our bags. We decied to stop at the bar where a bunch of staff were standing around talking amongst themselves and completely ignored us until they were done with their conversation. The entertainment employees of the adult staff bar would be drinking and dancing with eachother while completely ignoring any guest, which became a joke between my husband and I as we would make comments to eachother about the staff parties at the adult bar.We tried the other bars and experieneced a lack of respect. The bar by the front desk was the better of the three, but was only open after 5pm to 11pm. The drinks were small and weak. The food was ok. Not much variety. The buffet was much better then the restuarant.

In all we made the best of our stay and had a great time but honestly if the staff would of treated us better I think our stay would of been much better. People usually go on vacation to escape the rude and unconsiderate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Home sick, and homesick for JA. Just reading reviews of the Royal D and fully understanding everyone's response, negative and positive. My view of the RDMB - it saved my life! I have been travelling to the Carribean since I was 16 years old. There is only one Jamaica, often imitated but never duplicated. However, for the last few years I have not gone on vacation. I was extremely stressed out from work. My wife found this great deal online for RDMB - I didn't even want to go. When we got there I had a migraine for 3 days - forgot my medicine! I could only eat a little, drink water and sleep. The very fact that I could sleep anytime day or night with a migraine tells you how quiet and relaxing the resort was for me. Then I got better and had the time of my life! If you want the real Jamaican Experience with real Jamaicans then go to this resort. I loved the staff and spent hours talking with them. The repeat guests were also wonderful. We met many new friends and are still in contact with them. It's true that the hotel is older and does not have as many amenities as other newer hotels. If you want a cookie-cutter hotel that has everything and you need to be waited on, hand and foot, and food like you get at home, this is not the place for you. This was our experience:

Rooms - clean and neat, serviced everyday, great view (see Picture)

Water - no problems with shower, drank Jamaican water from the tap.

Beaches and pools - I never used them but the wife thoroughly enjoyed.

Bars - no International liquor but staff were great and had a wonderful afternoon creating shooters and new cocktails with bar staff!

Food - a little disappointing but I love Jamaican food - the hotter and spicier the better. I think the resort tries to tone it down and appeal to everyones taste. Once the cook at the buffet knew I liked hot peppers he made a chow or relish if you like, with habenera peppers to put on my food. It was pure heaven!

Stage Show - Night time entertainment was great. Staff worked very hard to get the crowd into it. Was up on the stage more than once. Remember, what goes on in JA, stays in JA.

Security - I have been travelling to the Carribean all my life and have only had a few incidents -always off the resort! Have left valuables in rooms before and have never been robbed, in fact at one time my wife had lost a very expensive bracelet. We tore the room apart and found nothing. When the room was cleaned, the staff found it and put it on the night stand! This was in Jamaica.

The staff - the reason to go! They were like family after one week. Absolutely love them! But be aware that this is Jamaica and people move at a different pace. An example, I was at the lobby bar in the afternoon and Enlish football was on the TV. The lone bartender and I were watching and talking football. I fellow came up from the beach bar because it was too busy and asked for 2 rum and coke. The bartender was distracted by the game partly because of me pointing out a play in the game and the man bcame mad because the service was slow. I told the man to relax and enjoy the culture of Jamaica! There is no need to rush - you'll get your drink, just chill out! No problems!
Location - close to airport, on the hip strip and quick taxi ride into MO'bay. Had great time at the night clubs and the shuttle from hotel was a great service.
The guests also made the trip great. Met many repeat guests and I think that we will also be one. Thanks to all at the Royal D.

Room Tip: view was good from second floor and quiet
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Pros: Drinking Options from 10 a.m to 2 a.m (How much more can you drink!)
Beautiful beach option to the Right End of the property (not sure if that is East or West)
Entertainment staff "try" thier best to keep you from being bored
Margaritaville entry inclusive

Cons: Front Desk staff very unfriendly which could be a turn off.
Parking - Doesn't cater to locals who drive...very limited on the opposite side of the road
to the property.
Food - Not very appealing. Limited options in comparison to other all-inclusive.
Buffet staff very unfriendly and limited when serving food that is not self help (do they
understand "all-inclusive"??!!
Rooms are nothing to write home about. A/C may or may not be working, Toilets may or
may not flush, and 75 percent of the television channels are spanish!
Beds are not so good a sleep.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms to the right on entering the hotel would be quieter as it is away from most of the...
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Royal Decameron Montego Beach. The property was beautiful and well maintained. Our room seemed a bit dated but it was still amazing and the oceanview balcony made up for the dated feeling of the room. There was only the one tiny elevator in the lobby, so you either get used to waiting or tone your legs by taking the stairs.
The beach area was gorgeous but you need to wear water shoes if you plan on going out farther than your waist. There was so much to explore while snorkelling. Lots of urchins, common tropical fish, squid, octopus, eels and stingrays.The glass bottom boat to the reef is nice but really there isn't much more to see than what you'd see at the resort swimming area.
The food was very good and we were a bit worried about it. We're vegan but we only found two meals where the options were very slim for us. Jamacian food seemed to be the theme for most of the meals. Felicia and Stacey in the dining are were always so great and helpful, we would sit in their section for every meal.
The entertainment in the evening was good we ended up watching a few shows. We went to Margarittaville one night, it was a slow night, expensive and NFL was on (which made it pretty much like any other sports bar I've ever been to). We went to the Reggae Bar one night, which we enjoyed more than Margarittaville. It felt like we actually in Jamaica not just at some sports bar. We aslo stopped for a drink at Havana Club. It had a very Cuban feel to it, and the bartneder makes a great mojito. You can buy cigars and other Cuban souvenirs in the gift shop.
If you plan on leaving the resort to walk the strip or venture farther be prepared to be asked numerous times if you want to buy some 'ganja and to give unlimited fist bumps. It's mostly just bothersome, if you tell them no firmly but kindly they'll leave you alone. The shop owners really want tourists to come look in their shops and buy handmade crafts. The resort has vendors set up on the property and these vendors are no where near as pushy as the street vendors.
In all we throughly enjoyed our week at the Decameron. It was so much more incredible than we expected and we'd love to go back.

Room Tip: When you leave the resort cover up your wristband with a sweatband or bracelet. We had a few people...
Haslemere, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were so looking forward to this holiday as it was a year since our last one,We were picked up at the airport our rep was not that good he did not give much information on our stay at all ie dont drink the water for instance when we got to the hotel check in went ok when we got to our room it looked a bit run down in need of a face lift we had one bottle of water NO mini bar so the water wasnt cold air con was working fine so we had our shower towels were like sand paper and we had no hot water when the water finally got hot it kept on stopping and when it came back on it nearly took the skin of my back it was that hot this was an ongoing thing throughout our stay,We then went down for a drink at the bar it was then we found out how ignorant the bar staff were we tried to have a conversation with one of the bar staff all we got was a yes or no now i will get on with anyone but cant be doing with ignorance and from apart of the one or two staff they were all like this, Now i like my Regae music but that is all they ever play day in day out they dont play anything else even at night time at the shows and then it was to loud we had to move from the show area as we couldnt hear ourselves speak and in the day time i had my ipod with me so i asked can you plug this into the sound system to play some different music for a change and they wouldnt, As for the food i didnt eat much if you like Chicken you will be fine as they have it every day they did have beef one day so i tried it bad move it was like shoe leather, We booked a day trip out to black river and ys falls with the rep he didnt say much about it which included a long drive through the hills and how bad the roads were ok i know the roads are bad in these places but i suffer from a bad back and i was in so much pain if the rep had given us more info on what the trip was about such as bad roads i would not have gone on the trip meal was included with this trip and yes chicken again,Will we go back again a big NO for the simple fact of the hotel staff and facilities outside of hotel the jamaican people were ok but at the hotel they were not we thought they were going to be so friendly but sadly not, I found the only good part of the hotel was the snorkelingWe were comparing this holiday to last years at Dominican and i must say Dominican wins hands down so sorry to say but we wont be going back.

Room Tip: dont have a room near the pool area too noisey
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

From the moment my best friend and I drove from the airport entered the Royal D 10 mins later, we felt comfortable and welcomed. The room, which I prebooked with my travel agent based in South London stated an ocean view with balcony, was just that. I entered with a preconceived idea that the images on the website were just made up. I should of known better!!. The staff could not do enough for me and my BMF with the friendly banter, the proudness of the JA Team performance at the Olympics-(being of JA decent, we laughed a lot at that!). The food was fantastic, the beach, the entertainment, the service. The only tiny thing which we thought was silly was very limited wi-fi access in your room. As I wanted to contact family back in the UK via Skype to tell them how fantastic the hotel was, I was told I had to use my phone in the lobby which was annoying, if the Royal D gets this sorted it would be perfect. However I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who I know in th UK- Fantastic man!!!.

Room Tip: state clearly that you wish to have a room with an ocean view and balcony and that you want either a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!