“Incredible week!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royalton White Sands Resort

You added Royalton White Sands Resort to your Saves list
Royalton White Sands Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Highway A1, Mountain Spring | Trelawny, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Special Offer
Save up to 42%
Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Incredible week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Just returned from an incredible week at this property. Everything from the pools, beach, staff and food made this vacation wonderful. Hats off to Damion (entertainment assistant manager), the head chef and our cleaning lady Carlene. The hotel manager Alex was also always around and willing to help. We would highly recommend this trip to anyone who wants to kick back, relax and have a piece of paradise!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I was there on my honeymoon from Feb 7-15. Overall a great resort with excellent service!

We had no issues with check-in or out, our room was ok, except we had to change since they had given us a room with a single & double bed, rather than a king. Both rooms were small, but clean & modernly furnished.

The staff is amazing, and make the resort a great place! The grounds are meticulous, the service is great. If you want or need anything, JUST ASK & most will do anything to make it happen! We had brought small gifts for the staff such as kids toys, sewing kits, magazines, etc which were greatly appreciated. The resort security asked that we write a note listing the items we were giving so that they could bring them home. This made me feel good about the security of our other items. Kemar, the server at the buffet spoke to us about Jamaica & provided excellent service! Claudia, the cleaning lady kept our room clean & made wonderful towel art on our bed every day!

A few negatives... It's approx 30mins from the Montego Bay airport & the town, so if you want to do excursions in that direction such as the Appleton Rum factory tour (which is totally worth it), you'll be on the bus for that added time while the bus picks up everyone from other resorts.

Consistency is another 'issue'. For example, I ordered the same menu item 3 times from the room service menu & received different dishes each time. Another one is the bar in the room never had the same amount of beers, water & pop.

It was also frustrating waiting hours at the steak house or zen to get a table since the other restaurant was closed on that evening (I think they may have done this since the resort wasn't at full capacity). If this is the case all the time, reservations would be better. My suggestion is to go to the restaurant at 6-6:15pm and put your name for a table at the time you want.

Overall great place & look forward to returning with our son to try out the water slides!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

we were 3 couples in their mid-twenties that went to the RWS from February 28th to March 7th 2014, and we all agreed that we had a fantastic vacations. Here's a short resume point form.

Good
-Jerk Chicken
-Jerk Chicken Poutine
-Nothing to complain about food you had every type of meet you wanted and a salad bar....I dont know what people would want more????
-All you can eat Langoustine Night ...The boys ate 15(3 men) of them and they were BIG
-The coffee shop and Ice cream shop (Frappucinos were Delish and so were the Lattes)
-Very clean resorts
-Nice Beach (not Cuba but better than Puerto Morelos in Mexico)
-Premium Alcool at certain bars or if you ask for it
-Hayne and Nicholas at the Martini bar and the Lobby bar (Lobby bar was our favorite at night)
-The waterslides !!!! even for adult we even made fun of it before going and ended going for a few slides every day
-The shows at night (They were not Cheesy, Great music)
-The proximity of the Infinity Pool to the Beach and the sea....We had our chairs on the beach , we were 60 feet from the beach and 30 from the Poolbar
-Service for drinks EVERYWHERE ON THE RESORT

The bad

-Low Pressure for a few days in 2 of the rooms
-Still a few kinks to be fix it is not a brand new construction (But that did not affect my vacation in any way....like serioulsy I dont really care and you have ot be really needy or picky)
-It is not a Secrets or Dreams Resort (From previous experience)...but hey they were 600$ more per person to go there (Premium alcool and service)
-It is Jamaica so service was SLOW and Nonchalant....But to be expected this is not Mexico or Cuba
-Still need to get a little bit more organise with service (especially at Breakfast and Dinner (get coffee, clean cutlery ready at tables, server right there to introduce themselves.,....We had to get up ourselve go to the station and pour our own coffee or Water and sometimes find cutlery to create our own tables.
-Check in was not personnalize at all.....I felt like I was in a waiting room and no one was assign to us personnaly for our check in

Yes i would go back and recommand this resort, Unless you are a Couples, Secrets or Dreams resort people you might have Higher expectations...But still for the price wont complaints!

Enjoy , Dont be stress , No problem ...only a situation!

Room Tip: Swim out are NOT WORTH IT !!! it doesnt even look lik ea pool but more like a kiddie pool
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Sorry for the late review. Trip was Jan 24-31/14. Went with friends including a twelve month old boy. Great resort for kids too. There is a water park for both kids and adults. I want to thank Michael at the waterslides. You must try the waterslide...its so much fun! Also, thanks to the guy who manage to find me some fruit Wednesday morning. Sorry I don't remember his name. Thanks to our maid and to all the staff. The service was exceptional. And thanks to Charmaine RMT who helped with my back spasms. The resort is beautiful and very modern. I loved that there were many different seating areas throughout the resort. The pool over looking the ocean was also a nice touch. Food was great except at the Italian restaurant...it was a very long wait for our meal to arrive. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Calabogie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and I went for 2 weeks Feb. 8th until 22nd and loved the place and staff. . We stayed in a Diamond 1 bedroom suite room 1202 over looking the pool. The maid Cheryl was fantastic! Ian our go to guy was always available and very helpful. Nowhere did we meet staff that didn't smile or have time to help us. Check in was smooth , drinks in hand thru the Diamond Club. This is our 4 th trip to Jamaica in 16 months and by far the nicest spot. The Travelsmart VIP reps. with whom we belong were on site & helped with airport connections .The steakhouse was fantastic. & we enjoyed a great meal and show at the Japanese restaurant on Valentines' Day .The restaurant booking system needs to be overhauled. The only suggestion I have is that more beach umbrellas are needed. And yes we Tip, not a lot but wages stink everywhere in Jamaica & we can afford it and it is appreciated. We will return!

Room Tip: Diamond Club 1200 Block(3 story)
Meteghan, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

This is what I send to the Royalton chain.....they got my email BUT never got a reply

Just wanted to express our experience with your “Royalton” resort brand. Our first time in Jamaica, never again.We stayed at your resort “Royalton Whitesands” from Feb. 17 – Feb. 24. We were not impress at all. Got there at 11:15 am, was met by Beatrix, SUPER NICE LADY, told us to have a seat, were given a drink. I thought to myself, YES. this is going to be a SUPER vacation we deserve....WRONG. 1st, Everyone around us were given papers to fill out, after a while Beatrix came by to see how things were going, told her we hadn’t received papers like the rest of the guests.She went to the front desk and took care of it for us. We were given the wrist bracelet, told to go have lunch, to look around the grounds and to come back at 1 pm, rooms should be ready by then. Went back at 1 pm, told not ready yet, come back at 2 pm, at 2 pm still not ready yet, told to come back at 3 pm. At 3 pm, still not ready yet, we decided to stay in the lobby and wait for our room. I notice other people were checking in while we still hadn’t gotten our room and they were showed to their room. I didn’t say anything cause we had booked a “Jacuzzi Suite” and thought that was the reason why they get their room before us.....WRONG AGAIN..... Finally at 4 pm, we are brought up to our room, I look around the room and ask our bell boy, where is the Jacuzzi???? It was just a regular room.... He asked if we had booked a Jacuzzi Suite, told him YES and showed him my booking info. He got on the phone and then told us we were going to get the right room the next morning..... After he left, I received a phone call from a lady (Didn’t get her name), she told me they were sorry for the mistake and it would be corrected first thing next morning PLUS we would receive a certificate for each a 25 minutes massage at the “SPA”...... WRONG AGAIN....... Never received the certificate from the front desk. THIS IS STRIKE 1 against the resort

Next morning, at 11 am, went to see about our room, met Beatrix again ( she was a great help), had me meet the lady in charge (tall and slim, didn’t get her name). Was told by this lady to check with Sasha at the front desk, she was taking care of the room exchanges. Beatrix and I waited in line to talk to Sasha, she didn’t know anything about this matter.... STRIKE 2 against the resort
Finally at 4 pm we got the right room. The staff are all super, except for the front desk staff (they are very snobbish)

I have traveled to CUBA (Tryp Cayo-Coco), MEXICO twice (1st at Gran Real Caribe, Cancun and 2nd was Gran Real Caribe, Cancun but a different resort, the 1st one we stayed at was now a RIU), Dominican Republic ( 1st at the Grand Bahia Esmeralda, Punta Cana and 2nd at the Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, Samana). At all these resorts, we were treated as royalty. What these have compare to the “Royalton” is that “little extra” attention they give their guests. For Example: Get your bed turn down for the night, small chocolate on your pillows with the turn down PLUS fancy stuff done with the towels, makes you feel special. We never received that once in the 7 nights we were there. You advertise your resort as a LUXURY 5 STAR.... NOT...... maybe a 3 star.... STRIKE 3 against the resort The grounds are not kept clean as the other resorts I’ve been to.... cigarettes butts in the “sand” stands are not clean often, garbage in the “sand” stands are always full... the small pools of water around the restaurants and walk way are filthy with candy wrappers etc....

In the reviews on TRIP ADVISOR, people are stating problems but because it’s a NEW resort it should get better with time. I own my own business and I know #1 key is good management team so with the bad experience we received at your resort, all blame should go on the shoulders of the higher up in the chain.....NOT ON THE EMPLOYEES. I know the resort only reopened in November, but the “ROYALTON” brand is NOT NEW in the business. You should have brought your management team from Jamaica and brought them to your other resorts and showed AND trained them the way a 5 STAR LUXURY resort should operate, hopefully your other resorts are not run the same way. We will never know, will never go to a “ROYALTON” again.

We can go to other parts of the Caribbean for less money and get “more bang for you bucks” But I always wanted to try Jamaica, so we decided to go there this vacation and because of the experience we received from your resort, we will not return.

Denise LeBlanc

Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Great place! Totally relaxing, rooms clean, food is great, service great. Staff very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Lots of activities for kids. Pools and beach were clean. We had a blast . It was perfect winter get away. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Royalton White Sands Resort? Share your experiences!