“Great for a few days” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Emerald View Resort

Save Saved
You added Emerald View Resort to your Saves list
Emerald View Resort
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   261 Poinciana Drive | Greenwood, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #7 of 38 Montego Bay B&B and Inns
Chicago, IL
“Great for a few days”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were here in December 2012 for 3 nights, we enjoyed the stay but 3 nights was just enough.

Pros - The beautiful view, the extremely friendly staff (and the little girl is the cutest kid ever), the area is remote and was great for taking long walks and checking out the hillside of Jamaica, the locals were very nice and inviting, we didn't get hounded by 1 person the entire stay.

Cons - Our room was disappointing b/c it was in the basement and didn't look like anything we saw in the pictures... it worked well for us, I was just expecting it to be nicer. This might have been my booking error, just make sure you are getting a room upstairs. We only had breakfast there and it was $10 for a couple of pancakes and bacon... prices were much lower every place we visited, ever the touristy areas.

Overall I would highly recommend this B&B for low maintenance travelers that are looking to be away from the super busy/touristy areas.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Firstly I would like to begIn this review saying how WONDERFUL this Bed & Breakfast is, I LOVE it and will most definitely be back. I heard about this hotel through a friend who previously stayed at Emerald view and was very pleased with the service she received. After doing some research on Emerald View Resort myself i decided to book a room.

I arranged with Mrs. Jennifer to be picked up at the airport by Duran their driver and was taken to the B&B. Once I arrived I was greeted by the stunning view of the blue ocean, also this B&B has a breathtaking garden with tall palm trees at every corner.

When I enter the lobby I was welcome by Mrs. Jennifer who was very delightful and was more then happy to accommodate me with whatever I wanted. When I entered my room i was blow away, not only was the room very clean and spacious there was a very comfortable large bed along with a large flat screen TV which has ALOT of channels also I had air conditioning, a HUGE balcony and a spacious bathroom.

The food was very delicious and affordable and duran always took me anywhere I wanted to go and always for a reasonable price. Emerald view is very quiet and relaxing and the service I received was excellent. I WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I are in our late-20s and had never been to Jamaica. Both of us are American grad students who wanted to see as much of the country as we could without falling into mega tourist traps/secluded resorts that don't allow one to see much of the country. We also had a limited amount of time and a strict (ie. broke student) budget. We found this B+B through Delta Airlines, and were able to book it using Sky Miles without any problems! We paid for our stay in full using our miles without any hidden fees or surprises upon check out--very happy about this!

We stayed at Emerald View for two nights--the first and last nights of our 5 day trip. Both of us were very, very pleased with the service and rooms! Below is an outline of points for those debating on staying here:

- If you are not renting a car, make sure you make arrangements with Emerald View's staff in advance for a pick up. We did not do this when we got into town, and definitely wish we had. The B+B does charge a fee for driving, but it is less expensive than cabs. (Also, it's nice to not be hounded by cab drivers at the airport--was a tad overwhelming esp since neither of use had been to Jamaica before.)

- The B+B is located about 25 minutes from the airport. This means that it is also about 25-30 minutes away from the city. If you are interested in staying near the "hip strip" (ie. businesses on the water that seem mostly for tourists-- souvenir shops, restaraunts, bars, etc. We really liked a place called Pier 1...) so that you can walk to these places, then you should probably not stay at Emerald Views. HOWEVER, this B+B was really great about providing transportation to the places that we wanted to see (for a reasonable fee), AND being removed from the hip strip was great because it meant QUIET nights :) Plus, it let you see more of Montego Bay which was exactly what we wanted.

- Payment for transportation was accepted using American dollars. Word to the wise: please learn from our mistake and don't exchange money at the airport--most places in Montego Bay preferred American $$$, and the exchange rate at the airport was a total rip off.

- Emerald Views is located pretty high up on a mountain which, as the name suggests, makes for great views!!! The drive up goes through residential areaof Greenwood, and the road is not entirely paved. In other words, if you're used to Disney-esque resorts then this might test your comfort zone. Never fear-- we felt totally safe, secure, at peace while there! (I'll openly admit that having had some bad experiences in the past regarding my safety in America I am a big skeptic no matter where I travel, but had no problems here at all--and I was a full-time major airline flight attendant for years!) If you want to go to the beach, though, I would suggest getting a ride--walk seemed kind of far and up hill on the route back.

- The rooms were clean and quiet with AC, tons of TV channels, hot water, and free wifi. Also the breeze from the beach was FABULOUS--we didn't need the AC at all. On our second/last night there they set us up in a really nice room in the back of the property with a jacuzzi--it was great :)

- There is a touristy restaurant near the B+B called the Chill Out that is on the water. It's literally on the beach, and really lets you "chill out." Good food, great mixed drinks, a pier, live band, canopy beds on the sand, etc. People of all ages. And again, super close to Emerald Views and not as crowded as places on hip strip. Worth a visit.

Bottomline, Emerald Views was a nice spot. It definitely allows for quiet, and is an escape from societal craziness without being too removed from civilization. Everyone was very kind and hospitable. The grounds and gardens are very well-kept and beautiful. The rooms were clean had personality--not the cookie cutter uniform of the big resorts. I'd recommend it to anyone going to Montego Bay, esp those who want a little remove from the city.

Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Granted this was not a 4 star hotel but I would have rather been at this Villa than a 4 star. Jennifer and her staff was so pleasent and attentive. They made you feel like you were part of their family and went out of there way to make sure that we were comfortable. Her pricing was very reasonable and we got the real feel of the Jamacian culture. I would definetly go back!!! My husband had an injured leg at this time and like I said the went above and beyond to accomadate us and care for him. Thanks so much to Jennifer and her staff for the wonderful experience there.

Franklin, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This bed and breakfast is simply divine. My husband and I have very stressful jobs in the US and could not wait for our summer vacation to Montego Bay. We arrived with plans to stay at Emerald View for a night before meeting up with our friends at a local resort. After our flight, my hubby and I were treated to the sights of Montego Bay, Jamaica. The B& B is off the beaten path and on a hill that overlooks the Greenwood neighborhood. The area is true to Montego Bay and the B& B is tucked away in the hills. After a drive up the hill we were welcomed and spent some time relaxing in our room. My family is Caribbean and I felt like I was visiting a relative and immediately took a swim in the salt water pool. Since we've been back we haven't had time to write about our experience, but it was just that great! Wish we were there ~~~~~

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My daughter won this trip via a timeshare presentation. So we decided to make it a mother/daughter trip. This was our first time to Jamaica and we wanted to be sure and get the full experience. Our first night there we went to the Fish Hut for dinner, while it was being cooked Miss Jennifer walked down to the beach and we swam with some of the locals. When our food was ready we came back and ate this wonderful tasting fish. Our view was great right on the edge of the water. I could not get enough of the view any and everywhere we traveled. The turquoise colored water was such a sight to see.

Day 2:
Zipline tour in the morning and that evening Duran the driver drove us over to Glistening Waters a nice evening boat tour and dip in the glowing water. Afterwards a nice dinner which Duran suggested at Chill Out Hut.

Day 3:
Miss Jennifer suggested Dunn's River and what a great place if you are up to climbing and getting a real good workout as well as cooling off. Once again we asked about another local eatery and Miss Jennifer said the Drunken Squid is a very good place to eat at. Tasted jerk conch and it was very good!

Day 4:
Miss Jennifer once again gave us a suggestion of walking seven mile beach in Negril and she did not fail on how beautiful it was. Duran drove us there and even got us a good deal on parasailing! That was a great experience since we were able to see much of the area from the air. Afterwards Duran was ind enough to drive us over to Rick's where we had a wonderful dinner and saw the most beautiful sunset EVER!

Overall our experience was great! Miss Jennifer always with her nice smile and places of suggestion to eat and visit were always on point. Duran kind enough to always drive us anywhere we wanted. There was always clean sheets and towels in our room. Simple room with couch and big comfy bed. I was very satisfied with the hospitality from everyone at Emerald VIew and being a place off the beaten path you will get a true Jamaican experience. I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: If you want to hang with the locals and get the true Jamaican experience stay at Emerald View.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I "won" this trip to Jamaica by attending a timeshare presentation for 6 hours so I was certainly nervous about what a free trip would look like. Right before I left, a friend passed away so I was not in great mental space for a vacation. I knew I needed peace and quiet and an opportunity to relax. Being at Emerald View was just what I needed, plus a whole lot more. I was able to relax my mind and my spirit in a way that I have never been able to!

The villa is beautiful and well cared for. The view is amazing and it is so quiet and peaceful at the top of the hill. Jennifer brought us to our room and explained all of the tours they offered. We explained we were poor girls for the week and she said we could do whatever we wanted and to let her know what we wanted and she would make suggestions. The only negatives for the room was that the water didn't drain well in the shower and the bed was not super comfy BUT on a scale of 1-10, they ranged a 1 on importance to us. The room was clean and simple and we felt at home.

On our first day, we decided to go to the beach that is at the Chill Out Hut but us American's have a different idea of a beach so we didn't go in the water. We found it kinda weird to swim in a little patch of water that was 10 feet from the restaurant. When Duran (the driver) picked us up, we said "That's not a beach! We want to go swimming!" He laughed at us and said "No problem!"... drove us a few minutes down the road to Wiltshire Beach and we jumped in the water off of some rocks and swam with the locals.

My friend and I asked for an authentic experience and asked Duran to bring us to places that tourists don't go. We wanted him to tell us everything that wasn't important and we shared a lot of laughs hearing non-important stories about the island. We wanted to eat authentic food so Duran made a mental note of our "to eat" list and let us experience fish and festival off of a bicycle vendor, acki and greens off of a street corner and anything else we just happened to drive by.

Jennifer always greeted us with a warm smile in the morning and let us plan our own days, with us knowing she was available if we needed her. We woke up to beautiful piano playing from Nina, Jennifer's daughter, who is so talented and sweet. Thankfully, it was off season so we were the only guests in the villa for the whole week. Duran was always available when we wanted to go out and made sure we were smiling and comfortable the whole time. We were able to experience the night life at local "pool halls" called Bumpers and the Sea Castle.

Overall, I am so happy that we stayed at Emerald View... it is off of the beaten path and VERY non-touristy but that is EXACTLY what we wanted. We wanted to live the island life... not schedule it :)

We made instant friends with Duran and his friends and can't wait to come visit next year for Reggae Fest!

Room Tip: If you want an authentic Jamaican experience, this is the place for you!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Emerald View Resort? Share your experiences!