“Lovely” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Emerald View Resort

Save Saved
You added Emerald View Resort to your Saves list
Emerald View Resort
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   261 Poinciana Drive | Greenwood, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #7 of 38 Montego Bay B&B and Inns
Gainesville, Florida
“Lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I are in our late-20s and had never been to Jamaica. Both of us are American grad students who wanted to see as much of the country as we could without falling into mega tourist traps/secluded resorts that don't allow one to see much of the country. We also had a limited amount of time and a strict (ie. broke student) budget. We found this B+B through Delta Airlines, and were able to book it using Sky Miles without any problems! We paid for our stay in full using our miles without any hidden fees or surprises upon check out--very happy about this!

We stayed at Emerald View for two nights--the first and last nights of our 5 day trip. Both of us were very, very pleased with the service and rooms! Below is an outline of points for those debating on staying here:

- If you are not renting a car, make sure you make arrangements with Emerald View's staff in advance for a pick up. We did not do this when we got into town, and definitely wish we had. The B+B does charge a fee for driving, but it is less expensive than cabs. (Also, it's nice to not be hounded by cab drivers at the airport--was a tad overwhelming esp since neither of use had been to Jamaica before.)

- The B+B is located about 25 minutes from the airport. This means that it is also about 25-30 minutes away from the city. If you are interested in staying near the "hip strip" (ie. businesses on the water that seem mostly for tourists-- souvenir shops, restaraunts, bars, etc. We really liked a place called Pier 1...) so that you can walk to these places, then you should probably not stay at Emerald Views. HOWEVER, this B+B was really great about providing transportation to the places that we wanted to see (for a reasonable fee), AND being removed from the hip strip was great because it meant QUIET nights :) Plus, it let you see more of Montego Bay which was exactly what we wanted.

- Payment for transportation was accepted using American dollars. Word to the wise: please learn from our mistake and don't exchange money at the airport--most places in Montego Bay preferred American $$$, and the exchange rate at the airport was a total rip off.

- Emerald Views is located pretty high up on a mountain which, as the name suggests, makes for great views!!! The drive up goes through residential areaof Greenwood, and the road is not entirely paved. In other words, if you're used to Disney-esque resorts then this might test your comfort zone. Never fear-- we felt totally safe, secure, at peace while there! (I'll openly admit that having had some bad experiences in the past regarding my safety in America I am a big skeptic no matter where I travel, but had no problems here at all--and I was a full-time major airline flight attendant for years!) If you want to go to the beach, though, I would suggest getting a ride--walk seemed kind of far and up hill on the route back.

- The rooms were clean and quiet with AC, tons of TV channels, hot water, and free wifi. Also the breeze from the beach was FABULOUS--we didn't need the AC at all. On our second/last night there they set us up in a really nice room in the back of the property with a jacuzzi--it was great :)

- There is a touristy restaurant near the B+B called the Chill Out that is on the water. It's literally on the beach, and really lets you "chill out." Good food, great mixed drinks, a pier, live band, canopy beds on the sand, etc. People of all ages. And again, super close to Emerald Views and not as crowded as places on hip strip. Worth a visit.

Bottomline, Emerald Views was a nice spot. It definitely allows for quiet, and is an escape from societal craziness without being too removed from civilization. Everyone was very kind and hospitable. The grounds and gardens are very well-kept and beautiful. The rooms were clean had personality--not the cookie cutter uniform of the big resorts. I'd recommend it to anyone going to Montego Bay, esp those who want a little remove from the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Granted this was not a 4 star hotel but I would have rather been at this Villa than a 4 star. Jennifer and her staff was so pleasent and attentive. They made you feel like you were part of their family and went out of there way to make sure that we were comfortable. Her pricing was very reasonable and we got the real feel of the Jamacian culture. I would definetly go back!!! My husband had an injured leg at this time and like I said the went above and beyond to accomadate us and care for him. Thanks so much to Jennifer and her staff for the wonderful experience there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This bed and breakfast is simply divine. My husband and I have very stressful jobs in the US and could not wait for our summer vacation to Montego Bay. We arrived with plans to stay at Emerald View for a night before meeting up with our friends at a local resort. After our flight, my hubby and I were treated to the sights of Montego Bay, Jamaica. The B& B is off the beaten path and on a hill that overlooks the Greenwood neighborhood. The area is true to Montego Bay and the B& B is tucked away in the hills. After a drive up the hill we were welcomed and spent some time relaxing in our room. My family is Caribbean and I felt like I was visiting a relative and immediately took a swim in the salt water pool. Since we've been back we haven't had time to write about our experience, but it was just that great! Wish we were there ~~~~~

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My daughter won this trip via a timeshare presentation. So we decided to make it a mother/daughter trip. This was our first time to Jamaica and we wanted to be sure and get the full experience. Our first night there we went to the Fish Hut for dinner, while it was being cooked Miss Jennifer walked down to the beach and we swam with some of the locals. When our food was ready we came back and ate this wonderful tasting fish. Our view was great right on the edge of the water. I could not get enough of the view any and everywhere we traveled. The turquoise colored water was such a sight to see.

Day 2:
Zipline tour in the morning and that evening Duran the driver drove us over to Glistening Waters a nice evening boat tour and dip in the glowing water. Afterwards a nice dinner which Duran suggested at Chill Out Hut.

Day 3:
Miss Jennifer suggested Dunn's River and what a great place if you are up to climbing and getting a real good workout as well as cooling off. Once again we asked about another local eatery and Miss Jennifer said the Drunken Squid is a very good place to eat at. Tasted jerk conch and it was very good!

Day 4:
Miss Jennifer once again gave us a suggestion of walking seven mile beach in Negril and she did not fail on how beautiful it was. Duran drove us there and even got us a good deal on parasailing! That was a great experience since we were able to see much of the area from the air. Afterwards Duran was ind enough to drive us over to Rick's where we had a wonderful dinner and saw the most beautiful sunset EVER!

Overall our experience was great! Miss Jennifer always with her nice smile and places of suggestion to eat and visit were always on point. Duran kind enough to always drive us anywhere we wanted. There was always clean sheets and towels in our room. Simple room with couch and big comfy bed. I was very satisfied with the hospitality from everyone at Emerald VIew and being a place off the beaten path you will get a true Jamaican experience. I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: If you want to hang with the locals and get the true Jamaican experience stay at Emerald View.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I "won" this trip to Jamaica by attending a timeshare presentation for 6 hours so I was certainly nervous about what a free trip would look like. Right before I left, a friend passed away so I was not in great mental space for a vacation. I knew I needed peace and quiet and an opportunity to relax. Being at Emerald View was just what I needed, plus a whole lot more. I was able to relax my mind and my spirit in a way that I have never been able to!

The villa is beautiful and well cared for. The view is amazing and it is so quiet and peaceful at the top of the hill. Jennifer brought us to our room and explained all of the tours they offered. We explained we were poor girls for the week and she said we could do whatever we wanted and to let her know what we wanted and she would make suggestions. The only negatives for the room was that the water didn't drain well in the shower and the bed was not super comfy BUT on a scale of 1-10, they ranged a 1 on importance to us. The room was clean and simple and we felt at home.

On our first day, we decided to go to the beach that is at the Chill Out Hut but us American's have a different idea of a beach so we didn't go in the water. We found it kinda weird to swim in a little patch of water that was 10 feet from the restaurant. When Duran (the driver) picked us up, we said "That's not a beach! We want to go swimming!" He laughed at us and said "No problem!"... drove us a few minutes down the road to Wiltshire Beach and we jumped in the water off of some rocks and swam with the locals.

My friend and I asked for an authentic experience and asked Duran to bring us to places that tourists don't go. We wanted him to tell us everything that wasn't important and we shared a lot of laughs hearing non-important stories about the island. We wanted to eat authentic food so Duran made a mental note of our "to eat" list and let us experience fish and festival off of a bicycle vendor, acki and greens off of a street corner and anything else we just happened to drive by.

Jennifer always greeted us with a warm smile in the morning and let us plan our own days, with us knowing she was available if we needed her. We woke up to beautiful piano playing from Nina, Jennifer's daughter, who is so talented and sweet. Thankfully, it was off season so we were the only guests in the villa for the whole week. Duran was always available when we wanted to go out and made sure we were smiling and comfortable the whole time. We were able to experience the night life at local "pool halls" called Bumpers and the Sea Castle.

Overall, I am so happy that we stayed at Emerald View... it is off of the beaten path and VERY non-touristy but that is EXACTLY what we wanted. We wanted to live the island life... not schedule it :)

We made instant friends with Duran and his friends and can't wait to come visit next year for Reggae Fest!

Room Tip: If you want an authentic Jamaican experience, this is the place for you!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel was dirty and kitchen was not clean there was cockroachs, the only good thing was the view was nice. the remote controls didnt work the ac wasnt working bed was broken food was very expensive cheats was dirty.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
janna3, Manager at Emerald View Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Firstly, I would like to thank the traveler and her family for visiting Emerald View. It was our pleasure to serve you , your sister and your five children.

You requested two rooms, you booked directly with me not using a travel agent. You actually did not pay me until you and I inspected the room and I turned on all the appliances including the TV and the air condition. Upon inspection, you were satisfied that your room was cleaned and everything worked, or you would not have paid me for a unhygienic room for not only yourself, but also five children. ...

Even though you live in London you are a Jamaican with many relatives living in this area. Just as you asked them to find alternate airport transportation for you, instead of using our shuttle which would have been a twenty minute trip, you instead chose to wait four hours for your relatives to take you to the airport because saving money is important to you. Well, I am assuming that from your review, hygiene is also extremely important . It also does not make sense that you, on your second day of staying here, requested that one of your local relatives spend the last night with you here, in a place you considered not hygienic.

We provide cleaning services daily. If your room was not hygienic after it was cleaned, I would be more than willing to provide you with additional cleaning supplies, and sheets per your request, one that not once you made.
Canada de Gomez, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I cant disclose too much of my identity but I must say at first the views are indeed great and it gives a chance to see jamaica authentically! the manager needs to be a bit more empahetic with her clients issues because people do have situations on holiday that they are not in control of. Im not refering to money because it is a business that she has to operate and rates needs to be paid but bless her she is extremely money focused making her blinkered to any ones personal situation. My advise is enjoy your stay as its a lovely property nestled on a hillside overlooking some lovely areas but be mindful!

Room Tip: try a room with balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Emerald View Resort? Share your experiences!