“Rental Car Needed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Emerald View Resort

Save Saved
You added Emerald View Resort to your Saves list
Emerald View Resort
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   261 Poinciana Drive | Greenwood, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #7 of 38 Montego Bay B&B and Inns
Bloomington, Illinois, United States
“Rental Car Needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I received our stay through Spirit Incentives and went into this trip a bit skeptical of what might happen. I did alot of research on this villa as well as tours on the island. My biggest suggestion to people staying here is to get a rental car. Jennifer indicated that they have a shuttle, and while they do, they only have 1. There were about 6 couples staying during our time there, and my husband and I felt trapped. The Chill-Out Hut beach really isn't much of a beach and it would be fairly difficult to walk there. Duran was a super nice driver, but he was super busy with all of the guests and not always available when we wanted to go somewhere. His prices are also a bit steep. $20/person to go to Falmouth. $70/person to go to Ocho Rio. $12/person to go to Montego Bay. $35 for the shuttle from the airport. Please keep in mind, they work on Jamaican time - if you want to leave at 5pm, you might not actually leave until 6pm.

Tours - We booked a zipline tour before we got to the island and had no problem with the tour company picking us up at the villa. When emailing Jennifer, she suggested we wait to book more tours until we got there. On her suggestion, I waited, but I was very disappointed. We wanted to go white water rafting and had the tour company info, but I left the tour making in Jennifer's hands, and we ended up tubing down the Martha Brae. It was a pleasant experience and the guides were great, but a completely different experience than what we were after. The Greenwood Greathouse is literally a 5-10 minute walk straight up the hill from the villa. That was great because it was on my To Do list.

Accomodations - I went in to this with low expectations and I'm glad I did. Good things - the view is excellent. The bed was comfortable and clean, we had cable and wireless internet. Bad things - a window in our room didn't fully shut and there was no screen on it. I refused to unpack because the dresser drawers had hair and hair accessories that weren't mine. The bathroom was okay, but we had issues with the water while we were there. No hot water on our 1st morning. That night, we had no water at all. Jennifer explained that they have to turn on an electric pump if the pressure gets too low, and after that was on, I had a nice, very hot bath that night. After talking to others on the island, we also learned that Jamaica limits water the residential areas so that the resorts have plenty.

Staff - the staff was super nice. The food was also tasty if slightly overpriced, but all of the food on the island was priced high. You have to remember this is more of a bed and breakfast than a resort, and the owner's live here with their family. As a result, you get to meet the family and a neighbor's dogs, and the families 3 daughters. If you're going on a couples trip to escape your own kids, this probably isn't the place for you. My husband tried to be very patient, but we left our 4 kids in the US so having a 4 year old demanding to play with his I-phone and Angry Birds when we were trying to relax outside in the garden was a bit much. We tried to take it in stride, but after a temper tantum because another guest's 4 yr old son wasn't doing what she wanted, I had to step in and be a mom and tell her to knock it off and go sit somewhere else if she didn't like what he was doing. We were trying to relax and they were insisting on sitting with us.
Cleaning complaint - the staff is limited so I try to be understanding here, but we came back from our 2nd day tour to find our room completely open - outside balcony door and inside door. The staff was cleaning all of the upstairs rooms and all of the rooms were unlocked and open and the staff wasn't in it. They were in other rooms. Anyone could have gone in if they had wanted to. The TV in our room was also up at full blast while they used music streaming out of it.

Our solution was transferring hotels. We completed 2 of our 4 nights, and after getting back from our 2nd tour, we realized we were pretty much stuck. There was no one around who could offer us a ride anywhere, and it was 1pm. We used our I-phones including the Marriott app to find a different solution. We tried booking at the Iberostar which is right down the road, but their reservation desk was horrible (never answered) and no one else seemed to know how to make reservations. Marriott's Ritz Carlton was able to help and even sent a taxi to come get us. We were able to settle our tab with Jennifer, and we were on our way to a different experience.

This would be a good place if you were looking for low cost and only wanted a place to sleep. If you had a way to keep yourself busy from sun up to sun down, this might be a solution for you.
I wish Jennifer and her staff the best as they were genuinely nice people. This just wasn't a good fit for us.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
janna3, Manager at Emerald View Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
On behalf of our staff, I want to thank the travelers for taking time out of their busy schedules to post her comments in reference to her stay at Emerald View.

Thank you for visiting and we were happy to accommodate you. Thank you also for admitting your skepticism on arrival, indeed, we are not the Ritz Carlton but a small Bed and Breakfast whose main objective is to provide a more intimate and authentic Jamaican experience.

However, in addressing your tours regarding Tubing, Chukka Cove no longer provides the White River Rafting service due to liability. This was explained to both parties and was clearly understood. It was at this point of time that I offered an similar alternative which was Tubing and consequently you both decided to go Tubing instead at Chukka Cove.

The tour company's pick up was scheduled to take place at Iberostar however was cancelled leaving you stranded at Iberostar at the last moment. Although I had several errands to run and meetings to attend, when I was informed that you both were stranded I rearranged my schedule in order to pick you up and then took you to Good Hope immediately, (about a 30 minutes drive in both directions) free of charge. I even went as far as to persuade the supervisor of Chukka Cove to carry you back to Emerald View from Good Hope, even though we are not a designated pick-up spot, also free of charge. I did not receive compensation from neither you or Chukka Cove for transportation, but did this because at Emerald View we are committed to making our guests' experiences pleasantly memorable, sometimes at our own expense.

It is somewhat ironic that you felt stranded after your Good Hope tour because no one was at the hotel to take you to Chill Out when it was me going out of my way to accommodate you that consequently disrupted the schedule so that I was running an hour and a half behind.

Thank you for posting the charges of our driver in your review. Just one question, was the transportation prices any cheaper at the Ritz Carlton?

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Elmont, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had a great time! The view from the property was excellent and the attendants were very friendly, especially, the host, Jennifer. I was informed of the goings on in the country. You should have a splendid time at this property. Check it out. It is a great value for your money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
St. Marys, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I you want to experience true local Jamaican hospitality in a hotel owned by local people, go to this place and you won't be disappointed. The rooms are basic but nice and clean, with airconditioning and tv (who needs that in such a beautiful country), the staff is very friendly and helpful. A limited menu is served, but some nice restaurants are close by and the shuttle bus is available for a very reasonable price. We especially enjoyed the Chill Out Hut and The Drunken Squidd. We stayed for a full week and met very interesting people. If we needed to know something, the owner, Jennifer Hamilton, was always there to help with practical advise (and, she makes a killer rum punch!). Oh, and the pool is a delight, with salt water instead of that dreaded chlorine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Saratoga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Staying at the Emerald View Resort with Jennifer and her family was wonderful. Their warmth and hospitality was really good. We got to experience the real Jamaica; not an all inclusive where you just stay on the property and eat food like you would back home. This was the real deal. This is a great value and would recommend this property.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker - ask for a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
janna3, Manager at Emerald View Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Firstly, I would like to thank the traveler and her family for visiting Emerald View. It was our pleasure to serve you , your sister and your five children.

You requested two rooms, you booked directly with me not using a travel agent. You actually did not pay me until you and I inspected the room and I turned on all the appliances including the TV and the air condition. Upon inspection, you were satisfied that your room was cleaned and everything worked, or you would not have paid me for a unhygienic room for not only yourself, but also five children.

Even though you live in London you are a Jamaican with many relatives living in this area. Just as you asked them to find alternate airport transportation for you, instead of using our shuttle which would have been a twenty minute trip, you instead chose to wait four hours for your relatives to take you to the airport because saving money is important to you. Well, I am assuming that from your review, hygiene is also extremely important . It also does not make sense that you, on your second day of staying here, requested that one of your local relatives spend the last night with you here, in a place you considered not hygienic.

We provide cleaning services daily. If your room was not hygienic after it was cleaned, I would be more than willing to provide you with additional cleaning supplies, and sheets per your request, one that not once you made.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

I loved staying here it was away from everything which for me is perfect. I live a busy life and this was the perfect place to leave it all behind. The views were amazing, the nature was breath taking, and the staff was great !

• Stayed June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Jennifer and her team will provide you with the perfect setting if you want to catch up on a little rest and relaxation. She even tried to convince me to go into the city to do the "touristy things" but I didn't want to leave my room! Emerald View is more like visiting friends or family than staying in a resort. You can interact with the staff and guests or just enjoy some quiet time in the spaceous, airy rooms.

We spent the majority of our time on the beautiful balcony and left the doors open day and night to enjoy the refreshing breeze and beautiful scenary. Duran was an exceptional host and I could not stop commenting him on his great hospitality.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Just got back from a quick MBJ getaway. When we go international, we try to stay with local properties wherever we can. It gives us a much better feel for our destination and allows us live like the locals live. We have also met many great hosts as well as guests over the years. So much more fun to us than the big mega-resorts with 5,000 American tourists complaining about things. First thing you need to know about Emerald View is that it is an expensive ride from the airiport. @ $35 each way. The property itself is nice. I had one of the smaller rooms with AC. My room and bathroom were spotless with a nice view of the hillside. You will want the AC option and I rarely say this. The view from the property down to Montego Bay is very pretty and you can watch the cruise ships sail by. There is a small pool on premise but it needs to be cleaned more frequently. The website is a bit misleading about the 12 min walk to the most beautiful beach in Jamaica. It is quite a bit more than that and it is not a beach. Where the hotel van takes you is Chll Out bar which is located on a mangrove estuary. The water is very clear, but again, this is not a beach. You can get in the water but you are not going to like it. The bottom is very soft and hard to walk on without constantly sinking. You will also pay cruise ship prices at this bar. There is a little shack bar just on the other side of the wall with a bit better water and drinks that are half price. I will say that Bernice at Chill Out makes quite possibly one of the best and most lethal rum punches in this hemisphere!! She is also a blast to talk with. Emerald View has a little bar on property that has rum and beer. Whoever is working will help you with what you need and keep a gate count for you each day. Be sure to verify each night what the actual count is to avoid checkout problems. I did not dine with them so I cannot speak to the food. You are isolated at this property-which can be good or bad depending on what you are looking for. There is not really any walking into town for food or shopping. They will run you in the van if there is somebody available. Montego Bay and the Hip Strip are a $25 R/T per person. Jennifer and her staff work hard to make sure you have a good stay. Nadia went way out of her way to help me at check in.

Room Tip: A much better place if you have a rental car to get out and about.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Emerald View Resort? Share your experiences!